a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, August 14, 2017

they continue to fascinate me (and yes I'm a peeping Betty)

Pat gave me a shout out Sunday, thanks Pat, a fun read. I do realize its been a bit between posts these days. Its a little of that and a lot of this and a mixture of this and that and time just gets away. But I have been trying to read and comment as much as I can.

Remember when I wrote this post last year about my front window  and what I can see with our neighbors across the street? I wrote it back the last part of May 2016. We had been in our home about 2 months by then.

The location of my work station has proven to be a good one. I've seen a lot more since then.

Like the guy who one day I saw walking down the street dressed really nice, only to come back a few  hours later with a bag from Target. I later surmised he got a job from Target as I saw him walking frequently down our street dressed in Target colors. The Target is about a mile or so from where we live. I even saw him one time in there while we were shopping. I wanted to acknowledge I knew who he was, but that would be a bit weird, wouldn't it?

Then there was the young couple I called them. High school students. I deduced (reasoned) that they called each other when they were going to start meeting each other and he walked from one way, she walked from the other way, and they usually met in front of our house. I didn't see them a lot, but sometimes on school holidays or during summer. They would always hug and kiss and then walk back towards what I am assuming was her house. I haven't seen them at all since school got out in May, over the summer, and now that school has started up again. I'm thinking they broke up?? One of them moved away? Both graduated? Both got jobs?? Both going away for college?

Then there was recently the young man I saw all dressed up in a 3 piece suite. High school age. Potentially senior. I'm thinking "senior pictures?" since we live about 4 blocks from the high school. I see him walking back a few hours later with a green tee shirt he is holding. I'm thinking "senior, class colors?" Only to see him walking several times a week with the green tee shirt over his neck and then lately riding a bike with the green tee shirt over his neck. I tried to think what local business might have their employees wear such a green tee shirt, but none that I have frequented come to mind. I applauded him when I saw him on a bike. Apparently he must have made enough money to buy it.

But the neighbors across the street continue to fascinate me the post.

Remember they are gardeners. The father must be the owner of the business and has various employees that show up at his place, gather up the equipment/trucks needed, dump the clippings they have done from the day before in the trailer that I'm assuming ends up to be emptied at the dump. They usually work 6 days a week from before 7 a.m. to after 6 p.m., sometimes in 110 degree (or more) weather temperatures.

I knew there were 2 young women there. I assumed the youngest could possibly be the daughter of the other young woman in my first post about them, but over time I figured out they were sisters. The youngest started seventh grade fall of 2016. Saw her walking to where the bus stop was in the morning and home at the end of  the day from the bus stop. Not sure what happened along the way, but she stopped taking the bus in the morning and ended up getting picked up by her mom or her sister from the bus stop when dropped off. Around 3:30 every afternoon but Wednesday (early release around 2 p.m.) I would see the car backing up, leaving, and then returning within 5 minutes with the youngest daughter. School started back up last week and the same pattern seems to be repeating.

Except for the fact that last post I mentioned that the mom worked some place with an apron. She left around the time hubby did at 6:40 in the morning and got home around 2:20 p.m. I eventually figured out she worked for a school district in the cafeteria because she was off on school breaks and during the summer. This past February I realized I hadn't seen her leave the time hubby would leave (pretty much clockwork before). Then I saw her a few days later walking with great difficulty, favoring her right leg. I figured an injury, whether at home or work I'm not sure. She eventually started walking back to normal, but as of the start of this school year, she has yet to return to her potential job if she did work at the school.

Yep, I'm a peeping Betty. You are thinking "I am glad she is not living in my neighborhood."

But there is more.

The people across the street had gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not exactly on the date but the weekend before. Big gatherings with multiple people attending. It rained both times, but they still partied. Had a bouncy house. Set as much as they could under their car port. Setting up for the Christmas gathering caused much anxiety on my part. They were putting lights up on the roof and the youngest daughter was up on the roof running all around it. I pictured her falling. She didn't. But I was so glad when she finally came off the roof.

The older daughter I suspected went to school for a bit when September 2016 started. Left same time, came back same time. Then a bit later I saw her wearing scrubs and leaving and coming back at various times during the day. I guessed CNA (I was right). 

But what might have blown my cover as a peeping Betty was the fact that in January 2017 they got a dog. A cute little fluffy pup. Part poodle, lots of mutt. They had her outside a lot in the front. She turned out to be quite feisty. She wouldn't come back when called. You would see the older girl go looking for her and bringing her back. You would see the dog avoiding them when they were trying to approach her to pick her up.  I worried constantly she would get hit. She would be missing sometimes for big chucks of time. One time I was looking at Next Door and saw that someone had picked her up and was looking for her owner (united before I could step in). I was a constant bundle of nerves when she was out as she just roamed. One time I didn't think anyone was home and she was out around their front area. I was trying to figure how to rescue her, give her water, put her in the backyard, etc., but then saw the mom come looking for her.

Another time she was out and the younger daughter was being picked up by someone to take her to karate. I saw the dog running towards the car but then didn't see her afterwards. I worried and fretted what happened to her. It was a Friday night and we later went to dinner. I didn't forget about her, but I didn't really think about her. The next night I heard her barking outside and I was so relieved. I would later find out that the dog was taken by the younger daughter with her cousin who picked her up for karate and was with her the whole time during karate and beyond, but she never told her older sister the dog was with her and the older sister was looking for 2 hours for the dog.

Then about 4 weeks ago I saw the dog was out and I saw another person that I didn't recognize approach her and try to get her. She enticed her with food and with water and finally was able to pick her up. I looked to where she took her (3 houses down). A bit later I saw the older daughter come out looking for the dog. I opened my door and asked if she was looking for her dog. I told her where the dog was. She got confused with what I said. I said the dog had been taken to this house, she thought I had just said the dog was around that house. She came back a minute later to clarify what I said and I told her which house the dog had been picked up at and taken to. I offered to go down with her to the house to get the dog. She accepted it and we walked down the road. I introduced myself, she introduced herself. I then confirmed that she was a CNA when I asked her what she was doing. I said I saw the dog out all the time and was worried about it since I work from home, etc. She said her dad let the dog out to do its business and then it would wander away, she didn't like that. We got the dog (the girl who picked her up was going to call the number on the dog tag). Dog returned. I said let's exchange numbers just in case this happens again. We did.

And strangely, the dog has rarely been out since.

Though yesterday she was. And a lady riding a bike up our street returned her within a few minutes after she was chasing her. The mom had just started looking for her.

Do you think I'm a peeping Betty? And worse yet, are you one?? 

Really, I need a life, or a different window to work by.......

And  yes I'm sure they will continue to fascinate me.

I guess I need a life??

42 comments:

Sally said...

It's great fun and also shows a caring nature - so if something goes wrong you can help. Keep it up. I love watching out of my windows!

Pat Hatt said...

lmao peeping Betty you may very well be. Smooching, runaway dogs, gardeners and dressed up dudes. Look at you go. At least you are honing your deduction skills by figuring out what they all do. Pup blew your cover though. You may need another window.

Ann Bennett said...

Since a front yard has a public view; I don't think you can be considered a peeping Betty or a nosy neighbor. We had a woman in our neighborhood when I was growing up who would pick up trash supposedly beneath windows at your house to listen in on conversation. If my parent's had an argument, she would be out there. lol

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am glad to see your post today and do appreciate the comments you make on mine. Your view from the window would be fascinating. They sound like a very nice family and glad you got to meet at least one in person. I think it's nice to have a neighbor that keeps an eye out like you do. Sadly my desk is not close to a window so I can view our neighborhood. I may have to make some changes. It's such a quiet place here and I rarely see anyone out. I have met the two in front of me and the two in back of me and they seemed very friendly. The other day I even met a man walking down the street. He let me know he'd had knee surgery and walking was his therapy. I've seen him and his wife a few times since walking together. We don't have sidewalks here so they are in the street, but truly there is very little traffic here. Enjoy your view! You are a good neighbor!

jack69 said...

funny that. People watching. We get to do that a lot, just with a different 'picture window view'. This time we are parked between two Park Models. They are rental units like motels. The seem to be rented every couple days. The front neighbor parks in front of the motor home. Only one person has knocked and asked if it would be OK to park there.

We are mobile, and are amazed at anyone who would park so you were 'blocked in' without checking. Yes, we wonder a lot about our 'neighbors', and we seldom meet. I like friendly 'waving' neighbors. ;-)

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm not much of a peeper, we hang out in the back of our house, that's the family room or in the office on the side of the house. Most of our neighbors work, no young kids, don't even see many people on the weekends.
One of our neighbors had been home with a staph infection in her leg for a couple of months before we even noticed she was home and not at work.
Two of our neighbors always know what's going on and we touch base with them occasionally.

Joanne said...

Not a peeper. Neighbor aware. That's a good thing. Our guy across the street who knew everyone and everything moved. We miss him. We are gone to work daily. I like to know that someone could notice a fire or robbery or strange stuff and dial 911.
Keep looking- stories abound

Danielle L Zecher said...

I don't think it counts as peeping. It's not like you have binoculars, or are looking through gaps in their curtains. You're just very aware of what goes on outside and are good at noticing patterns and putting things together.

Our street dead ends on our block, so I think we all notice strange cars, etc. Our next door neighbors home school, so I think they're much more aware of what goes on daily since she's home much more, like you are. Nick's mom gave him a firefighter mailbox at Christmas and part of the gift was that his dad and stepdad put it in while he was at work. Our neighbor called me when she saw a truck she didn't recognize pull up and two men get out. She knew I was home by myself. Fortunately it was all fine. I appreciated it, and didn't think she was being nosy at all. Your neighbors probably feel the same way.

We have another neighbor who sits on her porch to smoke, so she seems to know a lot about what's going on. I feel like I'm told a lot without having to put much effort into finding out what's going on.

Saleslady371 said...

Fun post. Like going to a movie about the neighborhood. I'm glad you stepped out and made contact with the CNA and dog. We need our neighbors and they need us, even if we're nosy. Hahaha. Thank you for the encouragement and prayers. Your comment made my day.

Becky Sutherland said...

This made me laugh because I could see my mom doing this. She is home alone when I am working at school. In the summer, I am able to see her routine. She knows what is going on in the neighborhood. I just laugh.

TARYTERRE said...

You are a good neighbor keeping apprised of the situation. Kudos to you.

Bijoux said...

We don't have that much action going on here. We do have some strange folks across the street. The daughter makes out with her boyfriend in the driveway all the time. But he lives there with her and the mom, so I don't get why they need to do the PDA in the driveway! Go inside!

Jo said...

I don't think your interest in your neighbourhood is exactly peeping Betty - you work facing the street so you are bound to see what is going on. Why don't you go introduce yourself to the neighbours rather than having to guess who does what.

Chatty Crone said...

I have a house I can't see anything out the front. I would love to be able to see. So consider it part of your life - you work - grandma - church - and peeping Betty oh I mean neighborhood Watch Betty! lol sandie

Mary said...

I LOVE this post!!! The dog sounds like Gurl Dogg; we've had to start putting her on a leash at all times since we live on a busy street. She got loose the other day & ran into the road; luckily it was a time of day when there was very little traffic, and a car stopped when she went into the road. Scary, for sure!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

This was a fun post to read; made me laugh out loud in some parts. You have the most interesting neighbours! And these houses are safe from burglaries because of you. I read somewhere that the greatest deterrent to your house being robbed is a nosy neighbour...LOL... I have no idea what goes on around here, so I'm not good at keeping tabs on whether the homes around me are safe :)

Maria Zannini said...

Not so much a peeping Betty as a people-watcher Betty. Nothing wrong with that.

Where I live all I can see are trees and animals which is the way I like it. They're less noisy than people.

Mevely317 said...

Good to see you again!
I don't want to sound judgmental, but your neighbors don't sound so very responsible (about their dog). Neither Tom or I will let Macie or Grace outside unless one of us is there to keep an eye on her/them. (Yes, we're overly protective.)

Peeping Betty? I don't think so. In fact, you'd be an awesome witness if anything untoward were to happen to any of these folks and you had to provide testimony.
Curious what you learn about the green tee-shirt!

Wendy said...

I'm laughing so hard I don't think I can type a good response. If you start meddling in their lives, you will become the Gladys Kravitz of Phoenix! Where I "work" (i.e., blog and research) the windows are in the dormers which make it too high up to look out. I try to watch out for my neighbors, but I am not aware of anyone else who might be going by on any regular schedule.

DMS said...

Who needs tv when your view gives you so much to think about! :) You aren't going out of your way to peer in windows- you are just observing what is happening right in front of or near your house and window.

Glad you helped her get her dog and exchanging numbers was a good idea (for the future if it happens again).

Thanks for sharing from "The Window With a View". ;)
~Jess

Munir said...

Such a fun post to read. People are interesting . Very good observation on your part. LOL.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

You have a life. ☺

I like to people watch when I'm out and about...at a mall or on vacation. But here at my house, I keep everything locked up tight...keep my blinds closed when the sun goes down, trees in the back yard to block any views from my neighbors on that side. And my desk/computer faces a wall...your deal sounds much more fun!

Liz A. said...

You're living the beginning of Rear Window. Just so long as no one goes missing, you should be fine. Glad you got a chance to introduce yourself. Hope the dog doesn't go missing again.

Jimmy said...

Being aware of the neighborhood doesn't make you a peeper, now if you start sneaking around and looking into windows I may have to change my definition ;)

baili said...

Oh my .that is quite a fun but little weird person like me who never give dame even when hear some noise from outside as i had lots to do and lots to think about in my own world .
but your last line explains everything beautifully betty .
if some investigation bureau is reading your post they will offer you to join i bet lol

Intense Guy said...

All I can say is perhaps your work is a bit dull (some/most?) times...

:)

And I too would fret about that poor dog. I would sure hate to actually see it hit by a car.

Paula Kaye said...

I've been peeping (keeping watch) on my neighbors for years. Great fun to create stories to go with the comings and going. Directly across the street from me is a couple in their upper 60's. He is a judge and she is a teacher. They come and go at all hours of the day and night. I've always wondered what they are up to! They are about the only ones who fascinate me. I would worry about the dog too. We don't have any dogs running loose in our neighborhood.

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Hilarious! I admit it. I'm a peeping Betty too!

Nick Wilford said...

Watching the world go by, and all the comings and goings, is great fodder for any writer. You don't need a life! I do worry about the dog though. They can so easily be stolen. I think the neighbours need to invest in a fence. When we moved to our new house, it was completely open down one side and we had the dogs in the kennels for the first week while we put a fence up. We've got five, and they wouldn't all run off, but two would. Unfortunately, the fences round the other sides are deficient - they're the plastic-coated, criss-crossing type (don't know technical terms)? There were holes where the two little ones - the cheeky ones I mentioned now - could wriggle through, so I had to get chickenwire to patch the holes. A lot of hassle, but I definitely don't want any more escapes!

yaya said...

Your post reminded me of an old movie..."Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart. You can label yourself the neighborhood watch lady! It's interesting to watch people and you do have a good vantage point. I'm a stalker of homes on line. I love going to realtor.com or zillow and checking out what's for sale in my neighborhood! Guess that makes me a peeping YaYa!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I just happened upon your blog today, and really enjoyed your post! I too work at home and am also outside a lot, and so I tend to notice patterns and behaviors in vehicles and people in our neighborhood. Here where we live, it is pretty quiet and isolated, but still, things go on. I'm glad the dog is finally not out running the streets. Nice that you got to meet your neighbors too! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yes the probably would have been weird to tell him but it is nice that he got the job and walks to work. He is determined! That second boy also seems to be productive. You are a peeping Betty but I would be no different if I was looking out the front of our house. I'm glad that you haven't seen the dog out much anymore. Enjoy the rest of you week.
Debby

Linda From Wisconsin said...

I loved reading this blog post! You are an amazing people watcher and I LOVE your analysis of your neighbors!! I will be thinking of you when I am sitting in the hospital waiting rooms and lounges the week DH is hospitalized!! Have you tried praying for each of the persons you have watched?

Robert Bennett said...

Don't feel bad about taking an interest in the people around you. I have the exact opposite problem. I have MULTIPLE neighbors in my complex who know my name and often greet me and while I'll return their pleasantries, in my head I'm like 'Who the hell is this person? I have met this person? Who are they?' haha

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You have an interesting street. We live out in the country, no sidewalks, so I see the same few neighbors walk by when the weather is nice.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'd say you sound perfectly normal to me, but maybe that's just because I am also endlessly curious about the neighbors. We make up names for some that we don't know (like "The Walkers" - a family how walk for hours every single day) and speculate about their lives.

I do think it would be perfectly reasonable and friendly to say hello to the young man in Target and say you've seen him in the neighborhood.

Kat said...

Oh goodness! You are hilarious! I love it! I am such a people watcher but don't really get to do it much in my neighborhood. It is a quiet street. ;)

I don't know how you get any work done with such an interesting neighborhood.

I am laughing my butt off picturing you going up to the man in Target saying, "Congratulations on your job! I'm so happy for you! I watch you out my window all the time."
* cue the creepy music ;)
lol

Blogoratti said...

There's a lot one can see just by looking out the window. You seem very observant which is good when remembering things, places or people. Warm greetings and best wishes.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Haha! Very interesting read. All I could think of is the Alfred Hitchcock movie Rear Window. Careful, peeping Betty > !! lol !! Awe, poor dog.. I hate it when people leave their dogs run without being leashed... for a number of reasons. First, the safety of the dog. Then, the safety of my own dog. I hope your interest in it has caused them to be more cautious.

Aneta said...

I'd say if you were looking into other people's windows, you'd be a peeping Betty. I think it's fair game to look out your window and notice. In fact, you might even be a good neighbour (I'm sure you are!) because you're keeping your eye on things! If the police ever need some information on the goings on in your neighbourhood, you'd be the person they'd love to talk to!

Thea O'Brian said...

Oh Betty, If you only had the neighbors I do....now this is a wild ride after living where I do for for almost 30 years. Whooooo the stories I could tell. I even thought of writing a book at one point but of course leaving the people anonymous.
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

This was a really interesting post. Whether you are or not, I enjoyed it. I am not a Peeper, but, I know one neighbor who is! She wears it proudly, too! Maybe that isn't a Peeper, then. I guess she is a Watcher. See what you started? Hugs.