a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

It was good to get away

It was good to get away for the 3 days that we did, from "Black Friday" returning Sunday afternoon.

I took pictures and I planned to share the pictures here, but honestly, I just don't have the energy to do so.

We headed West to a place we were familiar with.  To Temecula, California, close to where we lived almost 6 years ago in Murrieta, California.  Temecula is known for its wine country.  Not as "fabulous" as Napa Valley perhaps, but coming to its own notoriety and success for producing good wines and pleasant tasting rooms to enjoy such wines.

We needed this getaway. Stress in one form or another had consumed us (me) since at least the middle of this past August. Anxiety, a lifelong unwanted friend of mine, was visiting for an extended period of time making my life (and those around me) miserable. We just needed to be gone for a few days, to be away from situations and to just think about something other than what we had been thinking about for all these recent times.

We started out on Friday morning and for 2 hours talked about "it." The thing that has held us hostage for those 3 miserable months until hubby and me agreed it was time to stop talking about "it" and to talk about something else. It was hard not to talk about "it" but we managed not to for the rest of our time away from here.

Our ultimate destination was Temecula, but we stopped at the Mission Inn in Riverside for lunch.  They go all out of their way decorating for Christmas and their yearly Festival of Lights.  We weren't there for the actual "flipping of the switch" to turn the lights on, but we saw the festivities and a lot of decorations. Lots of time put into creating a festive atmosphere.

Our next stop after that was Downtown Disney. Located right next door literally to Disneyland, a strip of shops, restaurants, and movie theater. A place to go to people watch, shop, and catch a bit of the Disney magic without paying the exorbitant price of an admission into Disneyland. No rides, just a fine time looking at shops and people watching, a favorite pastime of mine. 

We were planning to have dinner there but were still filled from lunch, so just enjoyed an appetizer and a glass of wine for me, beer for the hubby, during happy hour at one of the restaurants in Downtown Disney.  We enjoyed people watching. We have our own language for it with different abbreviations for this and that type of people we see (all clean fun, but our own secret code so to speak.) It was fun to laugh. We hadn't laughed like that in a few months.

Then we headed south to Temecula, actually Murrieta, to check in to our hotel. The hotel was located a mere 5 blocks from where we used to live down there about 6 years ago. I liked Murrieta.  I got to see quail there and if you know how much I like quail, you could imagine how much I enjoyed living there. We visited a lot of our "old haunts." The 2 places we lived up there. Where hubby worked. Places we walked that corgi of ours. We sadly saw a lot of restaurants that we had frequented had closed in the years we were gone. 

Saturday had us out and about visiting several local wineries. We enjoyed the wine tasting and the conversations struck up with those hosting the tastings at the local wineries plus other fellow wine tasters. We bought just a few bottles of wine, less than we might have previously done, but were cognizant of buying what we enjoyed rather than just buying because we were there.

Saturday night we enjoyed a nice dinner with hubby's brother and sister in law. They live in San Diego but came up to the area (45 minutes away) to join us for dinner. It was nice to reconnect with them.

Sunday we headed back home. Recharged. Energized. Ready to begin the new work week, the new month ahead, the Christmas season.

The problems still exist. They will for a long time. There may or may not be a resolution.  Whatever way the outcome may be, we will continue to pray about it and hope for the best.

But we realized we needed this time away and may need another time away in the not too distant future. We have to be alert to it and just do it.

In the meantime, we have Christmas to get ready for. Lights are up outside. Tree to be decorated this weekend. What little shopping I'm doing will be "wrapped" up in merely one shopping trip over a 2-3 hour perid.

Life is good.

Because God is good.

All the time.

37 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Just getting away can sure be great to unwind and give one a little fun out of life's bubble. Sounds like a great trip was had.

Ann Bennett said...

It sounds like a great weekend. I have had the urge to go to Disney World in Florida. But the people watching is high on my list. I'll probably forgo Disney World. I don't know why I would want to go. The crowds maybe. lol

Your conclusion makes me think of the advice that it is not what happens to you but how you choose to react which is easier said than done.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So glad you had the opportunity to get away and laugh a lot. I just returned from a little trip to visit two of my sons and their families that live out of state. It' d been a year since I'd seen them. It was great to get away from the stress here. Still so much to do before I can sell the house and move. My aim is to start the new year fresh. I do know what you mean. God is good all the time!

Bijoux said...

That sounds like a relaxing time away from your worries. I am so sorry for what you are going through, Betty. It sounds as though your husband is a good support system for you.

I've been to Downtown Dusney in FL, so I could picture your experience. We are planning a side trip to Temecula when we go to Southern California. You will have to tell me your fave winery there. The couple we met suggested Chapin and Doffo?

Joanne Noragon said...

Life is good. Looking forward to the pictures.

Joanne said...

even the smallest getaway can make a big difference. Sounds like you are working on embracing the season and that's a good thing. Have fun with decorating and just putter with it. No big show, just your own fun and a glass of wine.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

ahhhhhh... I really enjoyed reading this post. I know what it's like to get away and leave the problems behind... For me, it reminds me that there is life outside of the problem and as you said... it is good. Life is good and God is good. We love doing the wine tasting at wineries. As a matter of fact, we visited one in NC about five years ago and found 'my favorite' port wine that way - which I do have shipped in cases now to my home (no, I'm not a wine-o LOL) Just like a good glass of wine at dinner. There is a peace about touring a winery.. can't figure it out ... but for me, it's peaceful. So glad you enjoyed your time away and you were able to laugh and enjoy. It makes it easier knowing that an escape is just a plan away.

Mac n' Janet said...

Glad you had a good trip, it helps to take some time off from thinking too much. We lived in Murrieta from 1990 to 1996, we then moved out to Hemet where we both taught.

Chatty Crone said...

I think it is wonderful to take a little trip with your hubs - you need that after a hard week. Love, sandie

Liz A. said...

Sometimes you do just need to get away.

That was a lot of driving initially. Riverside to Anaheim to Temecula? Downtown Disney is in my old stomping grounds--I used to live 2 mi from Disneyland. Good times.

Linda said...

So glad you had a wonderful getaway! Sounds like just what you needed.

Things I'd love to take charge of at my mom's house, which I've been doing the past three years with her approval, but up to "guests" to manage their lives. If affecting my mom, I have gotten up the nerve to speak up. Instead of an all day Christmas decoration there, I was done in 20 minutes, it's' complicated.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Debby said...

I don't know what "it" is but we've all had our "it's" in life and getting away is good medicine. It just gives you a new bounce to your step.

I love So Cal. My husband was born in Long Beach. We are overdue for a trip down there. I also have a friend who owns the Christian Counseling Center there in Temecula.

Whatever it is, take it one day at a time.

Paula Kaye said...

I am glad you got the chance to get away. Sometimes that is all that is needed to get a different perspective on things. Or at least to get it off your mind for a few days. I enjoyed your trip as you described it!!

Jerralea said...

It is definitely a good thing to get away. It gives you new perspective.

We do all have an "it" in our life that will steal all our joy if we let it. I loved your conclusion to the matter:

"Life is good.

Because God is good.

All the time."

Yes, He is! If you are His child, you can count on Romans 8:28 ... it all works together for food.

Birgit said...

I'm glad you were able to get away and enjoy yourself for the weekend. The so-called friend you have had....if they are not a true friend and suck the life from you, maybe it is time to say bye-bye. hard to do but one just doesn't need more negativity. I hope you are able to get through these rough times with not to much pain...maybe it is time for a little corgi?? The licks and looks always brighten one's day

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Sounds like such a wonderful time. I'm so glad you took this trip and got away for awhile. Sometimes that is exactly what's needed to relax. One day I hope to visit California. My best friend has gone a couple of times and so has my brother. They've both loved it.

Mevely317 said...

Aw, you guys had a date! :))))

Smart, smart move to step aside from "it" and absorb what else remains. I'd love to see the Mission Inn in real-life someday! Your people-watching abbreviations and codes remind me of my son and his wife. Private chuckles rock!

Big Mark 243 said...

...so glad that you were able to go on a relaxing trip... hopefully, faith will guide you so that "it" won't trouble you in the future...

jack69 said...

I agree with Myra. I read this earlier today. I have known there was 'something' now thanks for clearing that fog up, now I know the answer is 'it'. We have never been in that position for 'long'. My mama was I remember wondering how she could handle it.

You are a darling, but sometimes the answer is 'not being sweet'...........

Please do not let 'it' become a MAJOR problem in the FAMILY.

You are in my prayers and concerns. I think I understand, but then, I MAY NOT.

Saleslady371 said...

Smart couple! I've found those special get-a-way weekends with my man keeps our marriage strong. We always come home with a different perspective. The kids invited us for Thanksgiving, took us to Mimi's Cafe and spoiled us for a few days. I've never gone out to dinner in a restaurant for that holiday and I enjoyed it. No leftovers to tempt us my California girl says. We feel refreshed too. I hope you find the encouragement you need at this time. I'll pray for you!

baili said...

i am glad that you decided to have some time out with hubby.it will make you more energetic to sort out things and feel better.
i am sure the river side ,festivals and dinner with in laws will lessen the anxiety you have dear.
though you could not share but i am sure photos would be great .
life is beautiful blessing and it becomes the way we look at it it just matter of the WAY we take it .
hugs

Victoria Zigler said...

I'm glad you had the chance to get away, and that doing so helped you so much.

Tori

Maria Zannini said...



A long drive is cathartic even without a destination. It distances you from problems even if it's only for the short term. I hope you'll find an answer to your looming problem soon. It's hard to see you held captive.

Intense Guy said...

I am glad you got away from it all for a short while. The respite seemed sorely needed. I'm glad to hear you are getting some "Santa Claus" spirit too!

Adam said...

My wife has paternal family members in Temecula

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes sometimes you just need to get away and it can be so good.
You seem to be doing well with your Christmas preparations, something I need to get sorted soon!

All the best Jan

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm glad you were able to get away for a few days. That seems to help so much; even if it doesn't change anything, it is nice just to get a break from it for a little while.

The Downtown Disney place sounds neat. I had never heard of it before.

Good for you with the Christmas lights! And way to go for streamlining your shopping so much. The vast majority of my shopping has been done online, in my pajamas, from the comfort of the couch. :-)

DMS said...

I am glad you were able to get away and it sounds like it was very good for your soul. It is so important to not less stress rule our lives, but life becomes busy and we try to juggle too much. It takes its toll. I think your plan for another getaway in the not too distant future is a good idea. A nice reminder to me to take on a little less this month, as December tends to be crazy without "extras". :) Good luck with the rest of the decorations.
~Jess

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Yes to both of your last three statements! This sounds like my kind of trip--wine tasting is one of my favorite things to do when traveling (and especially in California). I highly recommend Ledson Winery if you ever get to the Sonoma area.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad you got to get away. You did so much, you needed that. You know I live about 15 minutes from The Mission Inn. Next time you better call me!!

Olivia Rose said...

Oh my! Sounds such a nice weekend getaway! I'm glad you all had great time!

Secret Agent Woman said...

We were of like minds about needing a post-Thanksgiving getaway ( although mine was only a day). Still, sometimes just a change of scenery helps.

Nasreen said...

Great that you took the time away. Sounds like you had good time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Glad you got away and recharged. Sometimes that works best when there's nothing to change a situation.

Nick Wilford said...

Glad you got to spend some time together recharging. Hope you have a peaceful Christmas too!

Aneta said...

Thinking of you, Betty! So glad you could have a getaway. I'd like one right about now.. in some warm place!!

Elizabeth said...

I glad you had a pleasant, much needed getaway. It sounded like it was relaxing, sometimes that is what we need more than excitement and adventure on a trip away from home. And people watching is always fun :)