a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, November 5, 2016

hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog

Thursday nights we watch the wee one due to work schedules.  We have found that it is easier for him to spend the night with us than for him to be picked up late by a parent, which we have found is more disruptive on our sleep cycle than him sleeping over (and most nights he is sleeping through the night). We have a little portable crib for him in our bedroom.  I sleep in the bedroom, hubby sleeps on the couch in the other room so he can get sleep in case the wee one gets fussy.  Son will pick him up in the mornings before I start work.

The first few Thursdays I slept restlessly.  I forgot how much "noise" a little one makes when they move around at night and how often they might "coo" or "talk" in their sleep.  Each movement or coo in the beginning would wake me up, but now I'm used to the majority of them.  Sometimes he'll wake up and cry or fret for a minute.  They might not attend to him, but I'm still getting use to him, plus I don't want him to go into a full blown cry and wake up hubby in the other room.  So if he fusses for a bit, I'll pick him up and just rock him for a few minutes, he'll fall back asleep and then I'll lay him back down.

At a young age of 8-1/2 months, he has his favorite TV show already.  He likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney, Jr.  We don't get Disney, Jr., just the regular Disney channel.  Disney, Jr. is considered a premium channel in a different package than we got when we set up our cable line up.

He loves that show and is mesmerized with it.  I have to admit, it is a cute show.  Thankfully it comes on at 8:30 a.m. in the morning on the regular Disney channel so he is able to enjoy it.  Each adventure Mickey and his friends are on involve them needing the help of Toodles who provides clues for what they might need. Like they need to climb up to hang lanterns.  Toodles will have the tools available, like say a book, ladder, ball, etc. The kids are supposed to figure out what tool would help them climb (ladder just in case you can't figure it out.)

The show ends with the Hot Dog Dance.

It really is a cute song.

Except if you get it stuck in your head.

Hubby said there's a term for this.  Earworm - a tune or part of a song that repeats in one's mind.  

Yep, happened to me this morning.  We were watching Mickey and his friends and a few minutes later son came to pick up the wee one.

I started my work day and in my head "hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog" is singing along.  ALL DAY LONG.  YES, ALL DAY LONG. 

We are waiting for our table at the restaurant tonight and every other word out of my mouth is "hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog."  I had to google it for hubby so he could be "blessed" with hearing it himself.

It didn't have the same impact on him like it did to me.

So I'm going to end this with have a great weekend

and hot dog,  hot dog, hot diggity dog.

I dare you to go listen to it.  Its only about 90 seconds long.   Listen here.

Do you have an earworm song that seems to stick with you?

I'll give you one to start with.

"It's a small world after all....."

You can thank me in the comments.

Happy weekend!

39 comments:

joeh said...

Not going to listen. I had that dang Barney dinosaur song in my head for too many years.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Mickey Mouse has always been a favorite with the grandchildren that I've watch for the last few years after I retired. They know all the songs and now I do too. I agree, those songs can stick with you!

Ann Bennett said...

Well I can have a hot dog kind of day today. I know it is a joy to have your grandson stay over. I love children and especially a baby. It is amazing that they can be so young and have their preferences.

My sister had this annoying song she would play on her record player before I went to school growing up. I am ten years older and it would be an ear worm all day. I hated the song and then listened to it in my head. I won't even repeat the song's title. Although, the song is not bad as I thought it was as a teenager.

baili said...

haha
really enjoyed your post
little one as here is said are king i themselves and do not care for the world at all
hope you had blast with him
such times are wonderful for making new beautiful memories that gleam in our heart in lonely times

Saleslady371 said...

Oh, can I relate! I listened and it was familiar to me when Amy visits! Yes, I have ear worm too. When babysitting, I'm singing the tunes in the shower, while I cook...all day. I love being in their world. So many smiles and laughs. I LOVE it when praise songs stick in my head. Now that's powerful. Have a great weekend; we're suppose to have perfect weather in our state!

jack69 said...

I may not forgive you, but I probably will. hahahahahaha Ear worm, I will have to remember that. I whistle now that I can hear, but I cannot sing all voices have the comic (or mechanical) sound like the animal voices.

BUT yeah, it is a catchy song.

(But most of all, "AIN'T GRAND KIDS GREAT?")

Pat Hatt said...

haha those ear worms sure can stick in and not want to go away. The friggin song that never ends got stuck in my head many a time.

Joanne said...

Aahhh. Make it stop

Glad you enjoy your wee one and relive Disney magic

Paula Kaye said...

The wheels on the bus go round and round.... my ear worm song! Sounds like you are truly enjoying the little one! Happy weekend!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

You dared me so I just had to go listen to it. And - hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog - it is addictive! Now it's going to be stuck in my head all day :)

So sweet about your grandson. I bet you are just loving every minute with him. I find myself feeling very nostalgic about the early years with my children. I know that I would love spending time with a baby again. If neither one of my daughters has children at some point, I'll have to borrow grandkids from others who have them! :)

Bijoux said...

I won't listen to it. I'm having enough trouble getting 21 Pilots out of my head these days.

Mevely317 said...

How fun for y'all, having Wee-One bunk in! Seriously, the bonds you're weaving are priceless.

I get those ear-worms all the time ... and used to suspect I was going nuts. For example? A few months back the theme song from Thoroughly Modern Millie got stuck in my head ("Check your personality!) ... and yesterday (the theme) from Bye-Bye-Birdie.

Joanne Noragon said...

Before my first daughter was born, I was terrified I would not hear her cry at night. I wonder where that "mother" sense comes from. I heard every sound, husband slept like a log.

Big Mark 243 said...

...that is a sweet story... you can remember to embarrass the grandson when he is older..!

...it is amazing that Mothers can "hear" small children ... I think that it is an evolutionary thing that has help little kids survive..!

Jo said...

I often get earworms Betty. And I think you might just have started one with It's a Small World. Grrr. No, I am not going to listen to hot dog....

Victoria Zigler said...

I didn't need to go listen... I'm familiar with the song, because I've seen the show a few times. I probably shouldn't admit to that, since I don't have any little ones around to place the blame on, but everyone who knows me well knows I'm just a big kid anyway, so... *Shrugs*

I often get the problem with songs... Or parts of songs... Getting stuck in my head. Sometimes not even because I've just heard them... Sometimes a memory will trigger it.

Tori
ziglernews.blogspot.com
keroberous2004@gmail.com

Chatty Crone said...

You brought back two memories - one with my kids and how noisy and worried you get at night when they are little. And with Andy the Hot Diggity Dog song - oh how I remember that - great memories.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's so sweet that he has a weekly sleepover at your house.

I'm not going to listen to it. Hubby likes to pull up random songs online and play them, so I usually have something weird stuck in my head. For the longest time it was the song about Mrs. Lovett's meat pies from Sweeney Todd.

Denise said...

Thanks for the earworm first thing Sunday morning -LOL. My grandson also loves the show and the hot dog dance, which at 2 1/2 is able to try to do. cute, annoyingly cute with the music.

Maria Zannini said...

You are so mean. LOL!

There's something about women that we hear the slightest noise when anyone is in their care. It happens with babies, pets and sick husbands. Instantly, we have superhuman hearing even when we're fast asleep.

Adam said...

That was my nephew's first big thing he liked.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I am really prone to earworms, so I decided NOT to take you up on your dare! :-)

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Awe I always loved nights keeping the babies and tending to them in the middle of the night. That's a good set up you have there for your little one. I listened and I can see why it becomes stuck in your head. I often have songs from church that stick in my head and can't imagine why? and now... It's a small world after all. And thank you! ;-)

Intense Guy said...

I hate earworms....

:)

It's a small world after allllllll,
IT'S a smalllll world AFteeeerrr alllllllllllll!!

Liz A. said...

Nope. Not going to. Just not. I still know songs from shows the niece and nephews watched when they were that age.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I know what an earworm is and no thank you to listening to the one who infected you. LOL
I'm looking forward to that first grandchild in a few months and hope for a few sleepovers. They sleep restlessly so I hope I can get used to it again without hovering.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I'm actually a big fan of the good old Earworm. Lamb Chop Play-a-long had (and still has) one of my favorites. "This is the song that doesn't end. And it goes on and on my friend..." I even teased my mother with it as an adult. She did not appreciate it.

yaya said...

It's been a while since we've had little ones that would watch shows like that. However, I do remember the "Elmo" days!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so cute, I went over and watched it! I'm glad he likes it. I do get songs stuck in my head.
Debby

Aneta said...

Earworms! I didn't click on the link only because I am very susceptible to earworms!! They drive me crazy! You sound like a wonderful grandma! I'll have to take some lessons from you! :)

SweetMarie said...

my son and I would sing the Barney clean up song together while he cleaned up his toys, about 16 yrs ago. :)
I bet Thursday is your favorite day now. :)

Crystal Collier said...

Are you enjoying that little one? I hope so. It goes by way too fast. My youngest is now 19 months and I'm just in awe. I'm sure you miss the sleep though.

Betty Draper said...

Nothing like those small grandchildren to bring out the silly songs. My little grandson love, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, has me sing it over and over. I have been teaching him , How Much Is That Doggy in the Window lately because they have a dog. Cute song..

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely post ... but I didn't take you up on the dare!
Enjoy your precious time with the wee one.

All the best Jan

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Not going to listen. I get earworm all the time and never know what song will get stuck in my mind all day. :) I never knew there was a term for it, though.

My niece loves that show, too! Glad you are adjusting to sleep with the little one.

Robert Bennett said...

My niece adores Disney and Disney Jr., but I guess I've gotten lucky in being spared those. Her favorites are Lion Guard and Paw Patrol.

Aside from that though, I'm mad at you now. Now I'm gonna have to go to Disneyland and ride Small World (not that my wife would complain about that, haha)

Blue Grumpster said...

Well, betty... who doesn't like Mickey Mouse! :))

Kat said...

Haha! I know just what you are talking about. My own kids used to love watching that show. My niece (when I was her nanny) would wake me up at 5 in the morning to watch Bananas in Pajamas and they had a song that I couldn't get out of my head too.

How precious that you get to watch the little one. Fantastic! :)

Jerralea said...

Our grand-twins love Mickey Mouse and Toodles! They call it "MinMouse" like it is one word and will repeat it all day long until you turn it on for them.

Yes, I've had many an earworm over the years. The worst is "This is the song that never ends, it goes on and on, my friends."

You're welcome.