a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Duckie stopped shining his special light, memorial service on Friday

Duckie was a good duck.  He did his job, and he did it well.  He was to swim around the swimming pool and dispense chlorine as chlorine needed to be dispensed.

He was always there on time. Worked his 24/7 shift and did it without complaint.

He smiled when it was hot.

He smiled when it was extremely hot.

He just smiled.

He had a friend, Sharkie, (thermometer) who sometimes they got along and sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they would be side by side, but sometimes they would be on opposite sides. There are pictures of them together, but Sharkie is too distraught to give permission for me to share them. He rather remember Duckie as Duckie.....before the end happened.


Duckie glowed at night. He enjoyed shinining his light in a pool that needed to be illuminated. He was happy to serve others. It was at night that I think he particularly smiled.


But then, horrors! How could it happen?

Duckie slipped from our midst. We were out one night and it was getting dark. Duckie should have glowed, yet he remained dark. He should have shined, but no light was shining.

We looked at each other.

And realized Duckie was gone.

No longer would we enjoy his bright smile. No longer would he bring us joy.

He was just a shell of the duck he used to be.

Still holding chlorine.

But forever dimmed.

Forever.

We will miss that duck. But in honor of his faithful service we won't replace him until the coming spring. We will respect that he needs to continue to float around the pool faithfully doing what he does best.

He will always be our first duck and our favorite duck here where we live.

We will always remember him fondly.

If you want to participate in his memorial service, please accompany us this coming Friday at 12 p.m. In lieu of flowers, bring chlorine tablets. I think he would appreciate that.

And with his passing, I fear too our summer swimming days are over. I thought we would be swimming later in the year. The spirit is willing but perhaps the flesh is too timid. I must admit, I'm chicken. I love warm temps for the pool (88 plus degrees). My last time swimming was a few weeks ago. Hubby braved it last week when it dropped to 78 degrees for a few days. Son and step grand daughter went in yesterday at 82 degrees. The nights are cooling down.

Time to perhaps close the pool until the next season.....though son thinks maybe just a few more weeks.....but he is braver than me.

In the meantime......fondly remember Duckie; and his illuminated light. We will too.

39 comments:

Liz A. said...

Poor Duckie.

I take it you don't do Polar Bear dips...

Intense Guy said...

RIP Duckie, God called you home after your faithfull service.

Bijoux said...

I honestly thought people used their pools in AZ year round?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a cute duck! I'd miss him too. Pools have closed here. Unless you have a heated pool, no one likes the cold. We are a bit warmer here for a few days but then we'll back to normal October weather.

Maria Zannini said...

re: He was just a shell of the duck he used to be.

LOL!

Does Ducky need new solar panel chips? You might be able to attach used ones from a pair of solar lights.

Pat Hatt said...

lol poor Ducky. Wow, 78 is cold? You may be a bit spoiled haha

Joanne Noragon said...

Alas, poor Duckie--and so forth. I'm intrigued by the solar panel chip solution. Let us know.

joeh said...

RIP, that is very sad.

Mac n' Janet said...

RIP Ducky, he was such a cheerful soul. We've stopped swimming till next year. The days are still hot, but the nights are cool and that cools the pool off.

Joanne said...

we've rolled through a few ducks through the years. They all seem to look alike, but the first is the best behaved. I think you need to plunge into that pool one more time this season in his honor

Paula Kaye said...

RIP Ducky! I wish I had known about these when we had our pool. My chlorine floater was just a plain bobber!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Poor Duckie! We just have a white thingy that floats around in our pool to give off the Chlorine... I call mine Gracie because it seems like every time I turn around, there it is. haha! I know how sad it is to close the pool for the year... boo hoo!! I like the warmer water temps too.. I'm a 89-92 kind of gal. Definitely nothing under 88!!! Gary just walked in and saw your blog asking.. Is that our pool? I said, I wish!! lol. Hope you're enjoying your week...

Mevely317 said...

What a funny/poignant obituary, Betty!
I'd like to adopt one of his kin to replace our own 'plain jane' floater, but I'm afraid little Grace would have a stroke. Who knew they made floaters that glow in the dark!

(I vote you stay on dry land and not catch pneumonia, my friend!)

Wendy said...

It is not easy to replace a faithful servant, neither physically nor emotionally. RIP

Lowcarb team member said...

That is indeed sad.
RIP Duckie

All the best Jan

yaya said...

We closed our pool tonight...but it's cold up here in the winter, I guess I figured AZ had year round pools. RIP Duckie!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Poor duckie. Off to the great pool in the sky.
(I loved this post!)
Like you, I need warm water to swim in. Or else not even a toe will get dipped. Not a one.

jack69 said...

funny how water temps might sound warm (78) until you remember we walk around at 98 degrees in our skin. HAHAHA We kept our pool at 92 year round. Sorry about duckie. but we all have to go.! LOL Loved the story!

Sunni said...

RIP Duckie. That was a cute little story about him. LOL

It's cooled down here too and was 70 today and almost cold out. Oh my! I guess I'm used to those triple digit temps after 12 years in the desert. I'm not looking forward to winter at all.

Saleslady371 said...

Loved your duckie story. We never owned a pool so I'm getting an education here. We just discussed our evap cooler this evening and husband wondered when we should cover it. Like your son, I'm wondering if we won't get a few more hot days before November.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

RIP Duckie, you will be clearly missed.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rest in peace dear Duckie...

Sally said...

Oh, poor Duckie!

Jerralea said...

Great tribute to Duckie, Betty! It made me smile.

Crystal Collier said...

*facepalm* LOL. Poor duckie.

I sent the kids to the pool today. My daughter complained that it's too cold! I laugh. It's in the 80's. I have such Florida kids.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What a trooper to work all day and night and shine the light for others. A life well-lived.

Ann Bennett said...

I can see why you miss the duck. I guess he wanted to go out with the season.

DMS said...

Duckie sounds like he will be missed! Hope the pool is okay without light for a few months. :)
~Jess

Elizabeth said...

Duckie's pictures make me smile :) He sounds like he was a faithful duck this summer, I'm sure his light will be greatly missed.

We finally had a cooler fall-like day last Thursday, but the temperatures have remained warm in the upper 70s to low 80s since then.

Linda said...

What a great invention, cute and practical!

Nick Wilford said...

I'm afraid the light goes out for us all sooner or later... but he will continue to shine bright in your memory!

Mary Degli Esposti said...

Your loyalty is astounding ;0.

Sharon said...

Aw, Duckie. You will be greatly missed. I'm sorry to see that you'll miss this winter, but rest assured, cold weather isn't all it's quacked up to be.

xo

SweetMarie said...

all ducks should wear sunglasses, so cute! ha! ha! I'm hoping to find a house with a pool, but we could always put one in. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry for your loss and so sorry I missed his memorial service!

Adam said...

I hope he went to plastic heaven

Kat said...

Aww. What a good duck. :)

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Poor Duckie. And oh, the sadness of the end of summer and swimming pools. :(

Aneta said...

It's good to see you are so respectful towards Duckie... not trashing him too soon! ;)
I love warm temps for the pool, too, but I guess your definition of warm and mine are a little different! If it's 82 degrees, I LOVE it! I prefer 86 but we barely ever get there! I'm usually taking a quick dip in the high 70's. When it's blazing hot out, a cool pool actually feels good. Once September rolls around, the nights get cooler and the pool really cools down fast, so that's about the end of our swimming. Our pool is closed up for the winter. I'm already pining for next summer!