a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Book Review Times Three

There are a lot of bloggers out there that have written and published books. I have featured a few here before, but there are more that I follow that have also written and published books and I thought for "fun" I would try to read through at least one of their books this year and write a review of it on my blog.  So, if I follow your blog and you have written and published a book and I haven't gotten around to you, hold on tight and it will be sometime in the coming months.

Today I'm featuring 3 reviews from each uniquely written books and each unique bloggers.  

I'm reviewing them in the order I read them, not in the order I liked them, because frankly, I liked them all. 

The First One is The Appalachian Trail by Jack Darnell.  Jack writes a delightful blog called Shipslog and chronicles day to day things he and his wife, Sherry, might be doing or things he has opinions about, etc., and always leaves a few pictures of cars he likes at the bottom of his blog entry.

The Appalachian Trail is a fictional account of two retired people taking on hiking the Appalachian Trail. Based on the true story of Jack and Sherry's experience with hiking the trail after Sherry had suggested it in the twlight of their lives.  This fictional couple stopped about 300 miles short and the mileage Sherry and Jack actually did when they hiked the trail.  It was a very cute book, enjoyable story with a couple of twists, and while it didn't inspire me to want to hike the trail, it at least gave me a little insight into preparations needed to be made and how plans were made to hike the trail which is over 2100 miles.  Definitely a good read.



The second is A Change of Mind by Nick Wilford.  Nick blogs over at Scattergun Scribblings. I "met" him a few years back on the A/Z Challenge.  He lives over in Scotland and isn't doing too much blogging these days.  

A Change of Mind is a book of six stories.  A Change of Mind is the longest of the stories, A Hole in One the shortest of the stories.  All were very interesting to read and made you think long after you had completed reading the story.  A Change of Mind is about a young man that needs a bit more confidence and self esteem in himself and finds a way to make that happen. The ending was not what I was expecting, but again, it gave me some things to think about, would I want to go through what he did to try to change something about myself?  Again, another good read.



The third book is Murder Has a Price by Pat Hatt who writes a charming blog It's Rhyme Time where he writes about anything and everything and usually always in rhyme. There are two things I think about Pat. He dreams in rhyme and he never sleeps because he usually has his blog posts (he posts daily) written 6 months in advance and I believe if I'm not mistaken that he already has next year's A/Z written. He also plays a "game" on his blog with bloggers trying to be the first person to comment on his blog. It took me a bit to figure out the strategy (and I won't give it away) but I've been known to be first (but only on those pesky nights of insomnia (that's the only clue I'm giving).

His book, Murder Has a Price, was a very interesting plot.  Detective Hollerin is trying to figure out who the true murderer was of Tori and Kurt Price, Andrew Price having been framed for the murders.  There is a lot of action and violence in the book, lots of people seem to lose their lives, and Detective Hollerin seems to get out of situations you don't think he'll be able to. There were two twists in the book, the first one I caught minutes before it was displayed in the book, the other one completely caught me by surprise. Again, a very good read.


I would recommend each of these 3 books. Jack's book is lighthearted but adventurous. Nick's leaves you with things to ponder. Pat's is a murder mystery that stuns you at the end. 

33 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

The Appalachian Trail sounds intriguing to me. We don't hike anymore, and I miss it.

What particular genres are your favorites, Betty?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I haven't read Jack's book yet, but I can imagine from what he has written about the trail on his blog, it would be very informative. I'm not familiar with the other bloggers, but think it's great we have such talent in bloggerville. The blogs I read are all interesting, informative and fun too. All good reading!

Pat Hatt said...

Some great reviews, thanks a lot for mine, glad it was enjoyed.

haha yeah, not sure anything could give me inspiration to walk 2100 miles.

Pat Hatt said...

Oh, and there is secret to #1, huh? lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have two of those books!

Bijoux said...

I've read a few Appalachian Trail books. It seems to attract an interesting assortment of people! And yeah for Pat!

Ann Bennett said...

They all sound good. You do find good books through blogging. I'm afraid I have just stepped up my reading pace and dramatically slowed/stopped my writing lol.
I agree about Pat not sleeping. It is amazing what he produces.

Paula Kaye said...

They all sound very good. I will add them to my growing list of books to read. I especially like murder mysteries.

Snowcatcher said...

Three great reviews! Thank you for all of them! Each synopsis makes me want to read that book!

indah nuria Savitri said...

Interesting choices.. I think I love to check Murder has a price. Cheers..

Chatty Crone said...

The Appalachian Trail sounds interesting to me. I have read his other book and it was awesome.

Liz A. said...

I follow Nick's blog, too. All sound like interesting reads.

Truedessa said...

I am currently reading Pat's book, about half way through.

Mevely317 said...

Great, succinct reviews Betty!
I, too, read (and really enjoyed) Jack's book. 'Had to chuckle at your statement, "It didn't inspire me to want to hike the trail."
... my sentiments, exactly! :)

The other 2 have piqued my interest. Love to support other bloggers' efforts whenever possible!

Joanne said...

I like your reviews and I need to read these books Nice variety You are a good blog friend by supporting these authors. Very fun.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Terrific reviews. They all sound great. I'll have to check them out!

jack69 said...

Thanks so much for a great review. The AT was a fun write. The review was very kind of you.
Echoing the other comments you do a very good, and concise review. Not all of us have that ability.

I will check Murder Has a PRICE and A Change of Mind.

Good words lady. I know the other authors are thrilled also.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Betty! I stopped by to read your reviews, especially Pat's book which I am reading and enjoying now. I, too, am reading books published by IWSG members. I probably won't get as many read as you do, but I've certainly been enjoying the process. Love your beautiful, calming header!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for the reviews. That was very nice of you to read them and review them for your blog friends.

Saleslady371 said...

How wonderful of you to give a review so we can look up a good book to read. They all sound great and I love your commitment to your friends. It's a good time of year to read being so hot....oops I forgot you have a pool...silly me. Slap on the side of my head.

Birgit said...

All these books sound great. They all must be so happy that you have red their books and talked bout them. I saw a whole bunch of corgis on Facebook...I thought of you

Sunni said...

Betty,

I love to read so may check these books out. They all sound very different from one another.

I can hardly believe that someone has next year's A to Z finished already! That is impressive. I wish I did. I do schedule posts ahead as time permits. I'd stay up half the night too, if I could, but you can't do that when you're married. Right now all the posts on my blog are scheduled ahead because I'm having cataract surgery. I wanted July taken care of before all that started.

Sunni

Veronica Lee said...

They all sound good, Betty. Love your reviews, BTW.

Chrys Fey said...

You've been busy reading! I still need to read Nick's book. And now Pat's! So many books...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have Nick's book on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it yet. I've read some of Pat's rhyming books and he is a workaholic. I need to check out that murder one.

Lisa said...

I read The Appalachian Trail. I really enjoyed it.
Lisa

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I've been out of the loop for the past couple of weeks, so I'm glad to be reading your blog again! The Appalachian Trail sounds great. I'll have to check that one out. I do like to hike, but I love stories about mishaps while hiking even more. Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods was a scream.

Intense Guy said...

I have hiked about 40 miles of the Appalachian trail and would love to hike more of it! I think the stretch in PA is amongst the hardest (very rocky and very hilly). I will have to check out the book!

Linda said...

Nice to read about books you've enjoyed! I finally read "The Prayer Box" that you viewed years ago.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Hi, All three sound interesting, but I am a sucker for short fiction! Thanks for the recos. Please check out this post and collect what is yours -
http://nilabose.blogspot.in/2016/07/double-helpings-of-liebster-mary-oliver.html

Best wishes,
Nilanjana.

TARYTERRE said...

love Jack and his book. Sherry and him have great adventures. Second book sounds interesting. And I'm just not into murder mysteries anymore. GOOD reviews of all. Thanks.

DMS said...

All three of these sound so interesting. I loved learning about them and I think it is awesome that you decided to read and review them! Yeah! You just made three author's days. :)
~Jess

Mary Degli Esposti said...

I've never read a book of Jack's, but reading his blog is enjoyable & even better, thought-provoking.