a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, June 9, 2016

We survived and I think we thrived

We survived the first (of many I am sure) HOT weekends here in Phoenix. Saturday's and Sunday's forecast were to be record breaking, 115 or 116 forecasted for Saturday with just a touch cooler on Sunday at possibly 113 degrees.

I have to tell you before we moved down here I had two concerns. How would we handle the extreme heat and tied in with it, how expensive would those electric bills be.  I am not used to air conditioning going on in the middle of the night or in the early morning hours and we aren't extravagant with what we set the thermostat at (77-79 degrees depending). But if you consider that our backyard temperature one point last weekend was 118 degrees, the inside temp was 40 degrees cooler.  Sounds weird, doesn't it, but its the truth.

I won't lie and say it wasn't hot because it was HOT.  But we planned accordingly. Shifted schedules around so we weren't out in the middle of the days when it was the warmest.  We vegged a lot and hydrated a lot and I tried not to cringe every time the air conditioner came on. You must remember, I lived in San Diego area where San Diego Gas and Electric was the 2nd highest utility company in the country (Southern Edison up the way in Temecula and other areas of Southern California was #1).

I thought a lot about my neighbors across the street. They diligently worked Saturday when it was close to 116 degrees. They weren't home until close to 7 p.m. Thankfully they didn't work the following day and one time when I peeked out the window, I did see pizzas being delivered to them. I thought of so many others out there working in the heat. The firefighters fighting a blaze. They said on the news, when interviewed, that they accommodate to the heat. Instead of working a 20-30 minute shift fighting a fire, they reduce it to 15-20 minutes to get some relief. I think of the postal service worker who delivers our mail, driving from mailbox to mailbox, getting out and putting the mail into our mail boxes. So many more out there doing the best they can dealing with the heat.

We had the little one Friday and Saturday evenings. Daughter in law went to San Diego to visit her niece to celebrate the niece's birthday. Son worked Friday and Saturday. We braved the elements, waited for the sun to go down, strapped little one in with his car seat and ventured out to the local mall to stroll leisurely in there in his stroller enjoying the cool air and the sites. He seemed to enjoy it.

We are in a desert. A desert is hot in the summer. We chose to relocate to a desert (what were we thinking????) But the time spent with the little one and the bonding we have done and will continue to do is pretty much worth it.

Just remind me of that.....when we get that next electric bill.......

35 comments:

joeh said...

That is hot! Just hunker down and nothing strenuous.

TARYTERRE said...

too hot for me. But sounds like you have things under control. And the cost of time with the little one PRICELESS.

Sally said...

Those heat readings are beyond my comprehension. I moan in the English summer - nowhere near as hot as in a desert region obviously. The bonding with your little one will be well worth it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Some things are worth the cost. I cannot take extreme weather anymore and spend more and more time indoors. I think back to the time before air conditioning and wonder how we ever survived.

shortybear said...

so very hot

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, that is waaaaay too hot for me. I'd have to flee. But there is no snow, so that is a win haha would be rough having to be outside working in it.

Intense Guy said...

I wonder how a certain dog from Montana would have handled that heat.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's all a way of life in every part of the country. Just think, no floods.

Maria Zannini said...

Still, there's a trade off. You'll be sitting pretty when everyone else is paying heating bills.

You do what we do. We limit our time outside during the summer and try to work in the early cool hours or late in the evening while it's still light.

Some people don't have that option so we're grateful we can.

Eileen T said...

That is hot! I'd be no good at all - I don't cope very well with the heat.

lyndagrace said...

Whew, a scorcher for sure. You are being smart about dealing with the extreme heat. Stay safe.
I know you are enjoying the little one. :)

Veronica Lee said...

I wonder if it's any hotter than our very hot climate here? But seriously, I would choose hot over cold anytime!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I can't even imagine temperatures that high. We very rarely hit 100. Hopefully the winter is mild to help balance out the utility bills.

Stay cool!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad to hear that you survived the heat! We have one set at 75 and one at 76. The one at 75 has to go all the way to the front bedrooms which get the afternoon sun. So glad you had the baby and yes he is definitely worth living in the heat. (We were going to live in the cold!!) Take care, Debby

Liz A. said...

I've got two words for you: solar panels. Can you get them installed on your roof? Considering how much electricity you're going to need (and you're going to need it) it might be a reasonable expense.

Liuba said...

Just too hot for me, too :) I love warm weather but not hot. Stay safe, Liuba x

Saleslady371 said...

Just got my APS bill for May and it was ideal, now comes the summer months and like you, I hate to open it and see the bad news. WE invested in a swamp cooler and it's working well for us. We work hard in the morning and then relax more in the afternoons and I'm on the energy saver cycle so I use my electricity for the most part until Noon, but then enjoy more abundance on the weekends. WE switched out our water heater to electric and it's only on for a few hours a day. Conserving....

Bijoux said...

But as we joke here, "There's no humidity!"

It's still like opening your oven door though. As Maria said, the trade off is lower heating bills in the winter.

Paula Kaye said...

I love summer! But I love being inside where it is cool when there are temps like yours. And I, too, don't like those huge cooling bills. I keep my thermostat set at 71 degrees. I feel after reading yours that I am too extravagant!! We have had higher humidity this summer because of all the rain we had earlier. Just get sopping wet whenever you step outside.

Jo said...

Some friends moved to Phoenix and built a pool. They also grow things like artichokes, I wish. Just think, you may have high bills from cooling, but you won't have to spend a lot on heating, I guess it balances out. Plus after a year or two, you won't find it so bad, your blood will thin down and you will adapt.

Jerralea said...

It's worth anything to bond with your grandchild!

I do hope you get used to it. I think you are wise to not go out in the middle of the day if at all possible!

I have friends who moved to the Tucson area last year ... I better check how they are making it!

Becky Sutherland said...

I have been to Phoenix twice...the airport. On my return trip, it was so hot I thought I was going to pass out on the jetway. I sat down to rest on my layover and could feel the heat through the window. My flight had been delayed by an hour but a flight going to an airport 30 minutes from home was cancelled. I was confused. I found out later a bad storm went through our area shutting the power down to that airport. I arrive home and found out that 30 minutes after I left Phoenx, that it was closed due to a terrible sandstorm. I was glad I made it home.

Mevely317 said...

Great perspective, Betty. I often wonder, how did folks exist down here prior to central A/C? And still, I'm sure there are neighborhoods right here in Phoenix whose residents swelter unmercifully.
We're so very blessed!

yaya said...

Everyone finds their place in the world and thankfully we have this fabulous country of ours to pick and choose where that is! I'm not a desert person but many love it. Family closeness is important and you may say "I hate my electric bill" but you'll never say "I hate spending time with my Grandkiddo!" Stay safe and enjoy your family and when it's snowing and blowing and freezing here I'll think of you and how comfy you are without shoveling snow!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I think every time you visit with that precious little one, you'll forget all about the heat!

Yes, those poor people working in that weather. That is tough.

DMS said...

Holy cow! That is HOT! I am glad you were able to plan accordingly and hopefully your electric bill isn't too bad. I am glad your neighbors weren't out in the heat the whole time- but it sounds like other people were. We should definitely be thankful for all those that battle the elements to do their jobs.

Glad you got to spend time with the little one. :)

Stay cool-
~Jess

Big Mark 243 said...

... you are the most thoughtful and considerate blogger I know of... to think about those who are out in that heat doing the things that allows us to have the kind of society that we have... especially when they get so much flak...

...keep cool, Betty..!

Wendy said...

Here in Virginia, spring-like weather has been slow to arrive. After reading this, I will try not to complain when the summer heat gets here.

Denise said...

Years ago I met a very interesting couple while I was vacationing. They were from Albuquerque. They told me that they originally retired to Phoenix but left after two years because of the heat. Said they got up at 5 to walk the dog and then spent the day inside. I hate the heat and would have a hard time living in it full-time.

Thea O'Brian said...

LOLOL on the electric bill. I know that feeling even though I am not in the desert. We had our summer two weeks ago when we hit 90 but now it is in the 60's! And to think this is June. Someone teased me yesterday asking me how I liked my summer....as in past tense....Oh my! I sure hope not! That sale I am working on is next weekend.
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

Linda said...

Stay cool gma & gpa! Might need to invest in a little kiddle pool. We're kranking up the air, 90 and humid forecast, for BD party today. Although I prefer fresh air, doubt many will want to be out on the deck today.

Joanne said...

Whew. I am whining in TX at 90 degrees. Good luck

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Oh my word! I think Alabama heat is bad, but we don't get above 104° or 105°! For us, though, we always say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." And that's the truth. Some days here is like breathing hot water. I hope it's not that way for you all. Keep hydrated. Use fans, and I hope that utility bill isn't too bad, either.

And yeah...being near the little one trumps the heat. ☺

Elizabeth said...

I do feel sorry for all the people who have to work in the heat, even the cart pushers at Walmart. I just pray they get enough breaks and hydration. It hasn't hit 100 degrees here in Oklahoma yet, but the humidity, even in the 80s, makes me feel like I can't breath.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I worked outside for a week in Arizona and on a couple of the days, it was unpleasantly hot. And that was in February! So you have my sympathies!