a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, June 30, 2016

the tour

Finally, pictures of the house.

Before I "show" them, a little history.  Most of my long time readers know that before we moved to Prescott in January 2015 we were living in hubby's parents' house that he inherited after their passing. We sold that house in October 2015. Reality is an average house in San Diego County is worth more than an average house in Phoenix, Arizona. We chose to buy 2 houses down in Phoenix, one that we paid cash for that son and his family are living in at the present time at a reduced rent for them to get ahead and save money and then eventually when hubby retires that will become a rental house (they have the option of staying there after then if they want to but then they'll pay whatever the fair market value is).  The other house we decided to put a significant amount of money down and have a really low house payment that we could manage during retirement. There was still a chunk of money leftover; we chose not to buy both for cash to have that cash "nest egg." 

Our intent for both houses was to buy starter type homes so that when we were ready to sell they would be attractive to those looking to own their own home. We carefully chose locations, looking at crime rates (lowest), amenities close by (schools, parks, stores, etc.) and marketability in the future. Now of course things can change but we were pretty comfortable with our final choices we made.

When we were living in hubby's parents' home that he eventually inherited, we were using their furniture. We ended up getting rid of 95% of it before we moved to Prescott and had just a few pieces of our stuff. Our intent was to buy new furniture down the line when we get settled where we were going to be. That is in the works but so far we are still living very simply with what we have furniture wise, though there is a timeline for kitchen table and chairs, living room furniture, bedroom furniture, etc.

We wanted for our house something manageable, again not huge. This house is roughly 1500 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths.  The other "rental" house is 1300 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. The other house doesn't have a pool, but a nice size backyard. The two houses are roughly 3 miles apart.

And now, a tour.......

The living room (which I call the office since it is my work area). This is the view from the front door.




The view from the kitchen. My work computer is the one by the window, that's how I can observe (spy) on the neighbors.



The kitchen from the living room area. One day the card tables and chairs will be replaced.



The kitchen from the den area.



The pantry. Its messy but it does hold a lot. I need to organize it up a bit.



The den from the kitchen. The door on the left goes out to the laundry room.



The den from by the fireplace. The door on the left goes out to the garage.



The master bedroom. It really is a big room. Again, one day there will be different furniture in it.



Walk in closet in master bedroom.



Hubby's music room (or another bedroom). Its a work in progress. I don't go into it except to vacuum around things weekly.



Walk in closet in his music room. That's where he stores his guitars.



The third bedroom. Eventually it will be a guest room. Now it is "stick anything in there you don't know where else to put."



There are 2 bathrooms, actually 1.75 bathrooms. The master bath is just a shower, the other one is shower and bathtub.

And there you have it. Our abode. 

45 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

What a sweet house. Your view outside is nice. I like to people watch too. Love your kitchen. What I would give for a pantry like that. It's wonderful. And so is your walk in closet. I'm working with teeny tiny closets here. you open the door and that is about the size of it. I wanted my husband and I to downsize and use our current house as income property, but he refuses to budge. You guys have a good plan in place helping out your son and planning ahead for retirement. My husband and I never did. feeling the effects of it now.

Eileen T said...

What a lovely house - thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I'd love a big pantry like that - I had one in my previous home but my current kitchen is tiny, so no room. Hope we get update photos as you get around to choosing all your new furniture.

Ann Bennett said...

I am so loaded with junk in my house, it looks heavenly to not have a lot of stuff crowding up the home. The house looks lovely and I know poolside is great.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds like you do have a great plan in place and made wise decisions when buying your home. Nice that you were able to help your son and his family too. It will be fun decorating the rooms. I sometimes wish I could get rid of all the old stuff and start over. Meanwhile you have what you need. I'm amazed at the changes you have made this year. Now you can sit back and enjoy it all !

Linda said...

Very nice tour! Love the pool in summer and the fireplace room in winter! Interesting how things turn out, patience, and great planning. Neat, you kept the cactus lamp! And so nice to be close to family! Wishing you continued joy in your new home.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done. It's fun to furnish with a plan in mind.

Bijoux said...

The kitchen looks brand new! Is the house new or was it recently updated? Nice!

Intense Guy said...

Very nice!! The colors are so neutral you can do just about anything to decorate!!

I'm a little envious of your home office!! :)

Pat Hatt said...

That sure is a nice little spot indeed. Wise choices as well with the two houses. Mine would look even more bed as the only furniture I have is a bed, couch and desk. The cats have plenty of stuff though lol

jack69 said...

Let me say about the post. I like your thinking. I guess most of us like it when someone thinks as we do. I do like the sizes of the houses. I have a post coming up stating that was 'My Size' house to build because it fits the needs without going over board. I love the openness of the kitchen living area.
Wise decisions, and I love your work area!!!
Thanks for the tour!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Love it...particularly the pantry and those walk in closets!! And having "Little Bit" only 3 miles down the road is a great perk, I know!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Betty, the house looks great. Nice size rooms and kitchen! Your pantry looks very organized compared to mine. Besides that you have that great pool to enjoy in the backyard.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I love your strategy! Nice house. Enjoy!

Saleslady371 said...

I am so happy for you. Sounds like you think of everyone and everything. Your home is lovely and I think it will be fun watching you choose the kind of furniture you want to add. Maybe you will include us in on that too!!!! May you and your families be safe there and happy in the days to come, and very blessed by the Lord.

Mevely317 said...

Fun tour, Betty! I really like the back-splash in your kitchen and that huge pantry ... but mostly, I'm coveting that fireplace! What a cozy room in which to make memories. :)

Paula Kaye said...

Looks very roomy! And you have a pool?? That would make anything worthwhile. I would love to have a pantry like yours. Sadly, my kitchen is just too small!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Looks like a lovely home! Lots of room for just the two of you. It takes time to get settled, doesn't it? I think the first year is dedicated to trying to put things in order. We use our space efficiently, too. Our dining room/living room area is being used as an office/library-reading room. It's so much more interesting that way.

Liz A. said...

This is like one of those house hunter shows, where you show us how you're living a few months after moving in. So nice to have a blank slate that you can make your own. I bet Pinterest would give you some good decor ideas.

Birgit said...

It must be nice to finally be moved in and it looks great, like a blank slate. I would love a walk in closet

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it as it morphs, develops, and transforms!

Wendy said...

I definitely have too much house for my stage of life. I would like to downsize and start over like you are doing with all new furniture.

Jo said...

Really open plan and you certainly have lots of space to move around. Thanks for showing us your pictures.

Blue Grumpster said...

Love that pantry and the walk in closet.

Kat said...

Wow! Perfect! It sounds like you were very smart with your investing in the properties. Very wise. And the pictures show a home that will be marketable in the future should you decide to sell down the road. Looks great!
Thank you for showing us pictures. I LOVE seeing other people's homes. I'm nosey that way. ;)

Thea O'Brian said...

What a sweet looking house! You can already see your own touches in it. Thanks for sharing.
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

Joanne said...

Lovely tour and such a good plan for you and "the kids" Fiscally sound and manageable. I love it. Congrats and enjoy the new home.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

I love it!! I especially love the pool. That's great that your son is only 3 miles away... I'm sure you will enjoy furnishing this beautiful new home... Can't wait to see!

Liuba said...

Very lovely house, thank you for sharing all these photos with us :) Enjoy your new home!!! Liuba x

Chatty Crone said...

I am so happy for you - your home is absolutely perfect. I love the size and the arrangement and the pool. So this is going to be your HOME and you can decorate it as and when you please. Thank you for sharing. Love it. sandie

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

A nice home! Comfortable but not huge. Better to take your time and furnish it with what your really want than to hurry.

Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Sunni said...

Betty,

A nice little house that you can decorate as time goes along. I'm glad you found just the right fit. Sometimes that's hard to do. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Sunni

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I want your office! You have a lovely home Betty and I love how you and your husband have made use of all that you have.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the tour, Betty! I like imagining you in all of these rooms! You guys have been on a such an adventure the last few years. I'm glad that God has brought you to this place - He has plans!!!

GOD BLESS!

Chrys Fey said...

I love the open kitchen and that big pantry! My pantry is tiny. You have a great home, Betty. Thanks for giving us a tour! :)

Weekend-Windup said...

Lovely house!Have a nice day!

Kathleen Valentine said...

It certainly looks like it was well-planned and has all the space you need. The fun part comes in furnishing. Best wishes for a very happy and productive home.

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks Betty for the tour. I feel I know you a little more now. I bet your house has that new carpet smell.

Inger said...

Samson says thanks for stopping by on his birthday. I say, great tour of your new home and my best wishes for much happiness there.

netablogs said...

I love that you've got a plan for the furniture you want and you are taking it one step at a time. Your home looks practical and cozy!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love your new place. You have so much room! The music room made me laugh. Wow! Looks like my son's bedroom.

Susan Kane said...

Lovely home...you will enjoy the feeling of openness. I love the 3rd brm! A place to put boxes until you know what to do with them!

Veronica Lee said...

I am loving those walk-in closets! Nice! Your new place is fantastic! Enjoy!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the lovely tour! Your living room/office looks similar to the front living room of the house in Mesa I lived in as a kid. The tiled floor and railing leading to the front door was a bit longer, though. I used to use the railing, couch cushions, and blankets to build forts :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Enjoyed the house tour - looks spacious and like you get plenty of good light in.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I like your housing strategy. And I have to admit I'm a little jealous your pantry! I love your kitchen. :-)