a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Sunday, June 12, 2016

No I don't have an injured arm

So tonight we had the little one as son was at work and daughter in law would be off work in a few hours.

We decided to go out to dinner. We had success the week before when celebrating hubby's birthday. The little one was no problem and it was an enjoyable evening.

We decided tonight to go to Red Robin where son works, unannounced. He had no idea we would be there.

We got there just fine. The little one fell asleep on the way over and was just waking up when we got there. He was content in his car seat.

We checked in at the hostess booth. She asked us if we wanted a sling. I'm thinking "I didn't injure my arm, I don't need one."

I look at hubby. He looks at me. We look clueless at the hostess. She explains what one is. Her helper gets one and shows us what it is. Basically a holder of a car seat at our level so we can keep track of the little one at the comfort of our table. Light bulbs go on in both my brain and hubby's and we think "yes, great idea.". We say "yes" to the sling and get seated. I say "sorry we are new to this" (truly we are new to all of this).

We have a delightful dinner. Hubby informs waitress who the baby belongs to (son cooking in the kitchen). A little bit later we take a picture of the little one with evidence he is there at Red Robin and text it to son, but in the meantime son on a little break comes out to say "hi" as waitress  told him we were there. 

We had the best of salads. I had the avo cobbo, hubby had the insane romaine. I feed the little one, held him (made an incredible mess trying to eat my salad while holding him but we left a great tip.)

It was a success.

And we are learning the lingo of baby hood. A sling was to support an injured arm. Who knew it was also to help support a car seat??

We came home and daughter in law arrived soon after. We had a salad we had bought for another day for a meal that I offered to her. We opened a bottle of wine and just talked and she ate and at the end of the evening the "baby whisperer" settled him and put him to sleep. I would like to say I was that baby whisperer......but I wasn't.......but he is that is......he truly is amazing......(thank you hubby).

I am so blessed.....really.....truly a blessing to have my daughter in law in our lives and that sweet little one..... I don't deserve it, but  I am so thankful.....

32 comments:

Bijoux said...

Oh, you do too deserve it, Betty! You are making grandchildren sound like a piece of cake! I have never heard of a baby sling either. Maybe someday I will need to know these things!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes having a baby around is nothing like it used to be and sling is not going to be the only new thing you learn. It's a blessing you are there to help. I'm sure they appreciated it a lot. It is wonderful being a grandparent!

Maria Zannini said...

A 'sling' is new to me too. You worried me at first with your title!

That baby is one lucky kid. To this day I miss my grandmas. I saw them so rarely because we lived so far away, but they were important to me.



Ann Bennett said...

I know it was an enjoyable evening. Sling, sounds like a great thing. I had never heard of one too. Babies are a great age. But I love all the ages of children. You've got a wonderful time ahead.

Pat Hatt said...

I would have been a tad confused too. Never knew they called it a sling, but I knew it was a thing lol sounds like a great evening indeed.

joeh said...

My little one just turned 18, so I wouldn't have known what a sling was either.

Mevely317 said...

What a fun experience! Was your son totally (happily) surprised?
Tom and I love Red Robin, but I've been staying away for caloric/carb purposes. Those onion ring towers and gourmet burgers are my Achilles heel!

Joanne said...

Sounds like a great outing and the wee one behaved in the sling- not a sling shot. All good new adventures for you. Enjoy!

Jo said...

Never heard of a sling either. But then I am not into baby things at all. Glad you had a successful evening.

Saleslady371 said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I can just imagine reading this how much God loves it when we're thankful. Very powerful witness to your readers! The sling must be brand new! Not heard of that yet; we use the little seat that anchors to our table when we go out so little Amy can be a part of the family. How are you doing with diapering? That can be a challenge with toddlers if they wiggle, Betty. I'm just warning you.....

jack69 said...

Shucks you learned to be a Grandmother very fast. Sounds like a great time. It is wonderful to have a chance to take care of the 'little one' isn't it.
WE have never met the 'Sling' either, but sounds like a great idea.
Love it, keep enjoying that little dude!

yaya said...

After 9 Grandkiddos I finally learned how to hook them in their car seats properly...now we don't need one for any of them! I've never heard of a sling either so thanks for the heads up incase we get any great-grandkiddos...wait...I'm not ready for that! You are truly blessed and so are your kids and grandkids to have you both!

TARYTERRE said...

Being a grandparent is the best thing ever. ENJOY every moment.

Elizabeth said...

I haven't heard of that kind of sling either. It sounds like you had a wonderful evening. Babies are such a blessing :)

shortybear said...

sweet blessings dear

Paula Kaye said...

Of course you deserve it!! You are one of the sweetest ladies I know in the blogging world. I have never heard of a sling either. I can't even picture how it works. I will go Google it!! Sounds like you have an amazing DIL. You are very lucky!! They aren't all like that! Take my word

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I have a feeling you are very deserving...and very humble. 😊 Wonderful blessings!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Sounds like such a wonderful time, Betty! I'm so happy for you. What a joy to spend time with your grandchild.

And you know, I'd be just a clueless. Before today, I'd never heard of that kind of sling!

Lynda said...

We LOVE being with our two grandsons! It is the most precious time of all as you are recognizing. It is always an adventure to go to our restaurant with them no matter the age! Praising God for your sweet time together.

Intense Guy said...

I wouldn't have known what she was talking about either - last baby around here was my niece who graduates from College next summer.

Goodness - where did the time go?

Chrys Fey said...

A sling is new to me as well. I've only here seen chairs for babies and children at restaurants.

Sharon said...

I had to google what a carseat sling was! Wow - how clever! Sometimes I wonder how we raised our kids before all these new inventions! My granddaughter has the coolest stuff!!

I can understand the feeling of joy at a successful grand-parenting adventure. I have been babysitting on a semi-regular basis, and it always feels great when things go well! (It's like riding a bike, it comes back to you, but still feels a little scary!) Soon I'm watching her for a weekend, by myself. Yikes!! Maybe she and I will just get a carseat sling and stay in there the whole time!

GOD BLESS!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

aww...what a sweet story. Betty I am so happy that your life is where it is right now. You are a blessing to those of us who read your words. Indeed you do deserve those blessings. You were (are) a great mother, and these are the benefits.

PS: I wouldn't have know about a sling, and I've been doing the grandmother thing for a few years now.

Liz A. said...

How funny. I'm sure you weren't the first nor the last to not know what a sling is. Glad you had a good night out.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm sure you do deserve it. Sounds like such a wonderful day. I can't wait to have grandchildren.

Wendy said...

Never heard of the sling! But we've been to restaurants that have high chairs that a child can sit in, or flip the chair over and the legs support a car seat for those non-sitting babies. It sounds like you're enjoying that baby boy.

Denise said...

I never for one moment ever thought about being a grandmother. Now, I treasure every day with my little guy. Enjoy.

Linda said...

Blessing of family, so happy for you! I remember your son being a great cook from San Diego posts. Just the updated equipment, otherwise raising babies the same, mostly to be loved and cared for. Funny with the sling! (Happy belated greetings to hubby)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It all sounds so perfect. I love how your life is being blessed with living close to your grandson and that you can help out when needed. I wouldn't have know what a sling was either!!!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Nice to read this post after the past - so it sounds like all the heat is absolutely worth it. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Sounds like a great outing. I am so happy for you, Betty.

Kat said...

Ha! I wouldn't have known what the sling was either, and I'm not new to this! To me, a sling is a baby carrier in which the baby is able to lie across your chest leaving your arms free. I loved my slings. And so did my babies. I had no idea there were slings for baby car seats now. Very cool!

Sounds like you are really enjoying life. Lovely. :)