a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, June 16, 2016

just in time

for the next heatwave to descend on us (actually a good portion of the Southwest) Sunday and Monday. 

This was the pool this morning from one angle.


and then from another angle


this was the pool 2 weeks ago when we had the temps close to 116


As you all might remember, we bought the house "as is" and it needed work. Our first project was the roof. The second project was the brick wall that replaced the wooden fence that had been there since the house was built in 1978.

The third project was the pool. As you can see, it had a diving board and I said to my hubby "that's the first thing that is going to go." Which is what I said at every house we looked at with a pool that had a diving board. I consider them unsafe (and your home insurance is more if you have a diving board). 

When we bought the house, the pool was full.  It was actually a working functioning pool though we never swam in it because it was still spring like weather. 

The pool needed to be updated. New plaster (actually we went with pebbletec), new tile, the patio had cracks in it and needed to be redone, and of course the diving board had to be removed.

When I started looking for companies to do the work, it was the start of May and by the time we finalized who we were going with, it was right around Mother's Day. Then we had to be put on their schedule to begin work which was roughly 2 weeks from that time. The final anticipation for the pool to be completed was 2 to 3-1/2 weeks, not that they worked every day on it but they had different crews that came in and we had to wait for the next crew to come.  All in all, it was just a few days more than 4 weeks, but it was worth the wait, except for that super hot weekend we had two weeks ago.

The first part was the chipping out of the plaster. The workmen arrived at 6:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning and chipping out plaster involves jack hammers and lots of noisy work. I felt so bad for our neighbors. I knew the workers were coming that day, I just assumed it would be later, not at 6:15 a.m. I did check. Phoenix has an ordinance that you can begin work like that at 6 a.m. from the dates of May 1st through September 30th (in an attempt to "beat the heat"). If I had known they were coming that early, I would have let our neighbors know.

The second part was getting all new piping and plumbing for the pool pump, etc. Then the deck was completed, the tile work (which I thought would take 4 days and hubby thought 2 days, but actually only took them 1-1/2  hours). The last part of the job was pouring the pebbletec in which comprises the bottom and sides of the pool below the tile.

Then the fun part began. Filling in the pool. They set it to start filling in Friday afternoon with hopes that it would be done by Monday morning so that the pool guy could come out and add the chemicals and restart the pump. The guy who did our estimate and was in charge of the project and kept me informed of when workers were coming, etc., said it should take 30 hours to fill the pool.  The capacity of the pool was 22,000 gallons.

Ours took 84 hours. Why? We have TERRIBLY LOW water pressure. It was so bad that we had to reduce the water going into the pool just so we would have water pressure to take a shower, otherwise it was just a trickle coming from the shower heads.

Tuesday morning I woke up around 5:30 a.m. and looked outside and said "we did it!" We knew it would be sometime Tuesday by how much the water was the night before. 

It was a joyful relief to turn the water finally off after running for 84 hours straight.  The pool guy then came later that morning and got everything up and running.  We haven't been in it yet but plan to do so definitely by this weekend. (I had to buy a bathing suit, hadn't had one in 10 years, boy have the prices gone up!!!!)

I thought it would cost several hundred dollars to refill the pool, but water is cheap in Phoenix. Our billing cycle ended June 13th (Monday) and by then the water had been on roughly 60 hours. The charge then for water was only $56 and that included the water we had used for the month for daily showers, dishwasher, laundry, etc. 

We'll get a little relief in the pool during the hot weather. From what I understand sometimes the water can get so warm it isn't too refreshing, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

In the meantime.........I'll let you know how 120 degrees feels like as is predicted for Monday........

and yes I told hubby that this will be probably the hottest summer ever recorded in Phoenix, sorry Myra!

We tend to bring the extremes to places when we move some place new......

42 comments:

Eileen T said...

I somehow missed that you'd have a pool in your new home. It looks lovely and I hope you enjoy it throughout the summer.

TARYTERRE said...

Now that the pool is finished that is one more thing you can cross off the list.Glad the pool is filled and ready to go so you can enjoy it. That fifty some dollar charge for water sounds more than reasonable. WOW, I would have thought it would be alot more. Stay cool. HEATWAVES are not my thing. Hubby has COPD and has trouble breathing in weather like that. You both stay cool.

Maria Zannini said...

I can't believe water is so cheap. It's cheaper than mine and we're near an aquifer. Fortunately, we've had so much rain lately we've hardly used it to water the garden.

I wonder how much of it evaporates from the heat.

Enjoy that new pool. I hope your heat wave mellows out soon. That's way too hot!

Bijoux said...

Wow! I had no idea it took that long to fill a pool! Very few people have pools here, as they'd only get use of them maybe three months per year. Enjoy!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A pool is the perfect thing to have with the heat you all have. One of my sons lives where it is terribly hot and they enjoy theirs a lot. Take care in the sun. They say to avoid the heat of the day between noon and three. Summer isn't quite here yet and you've many hot days ahead.

Saleslady371 said...

Aha, now we know who to blame for these extremes. I really like your new pool. I can see how it will refresh you and your family in the days to come. Bet your grandchildren will be strong swimmers! I didn't know that about insurance and the diving board. I'm not looking forward to this weekend with the heat coming. I tried on bathing suits yesterday at Ross when we were in Prescott. Nothing looked good so I'm keeping the old one Tom bought me in Cabo. It was expensive enough to last a lifetime. Good thing I like pink.

Intense Guy said...

The pool looks beautiful!!! Maybe a tarp for shade? and make some ice cubes to throw in it every now and then? :) (p.s., it would take a LOT of ice cubes!)

Linda said...

Cool and beautiful, that will make summer more fun! Enjoy!

Chatty Crone said...

That pool WILL take care of cooling you off! Wonder what your a/c bill will cost - lol. You don't need heat there do you?

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, that took a long arse time indeed to fill. But now you can enjoy it, unless the water becomes a hot tub in such weather haha

Jo said...

When I read your post about how hot it was, I wondered about a pool and was surprised you didn't have one. I too missed that you did. I am glad for you that it's all done now, 80 hours, that's a very long time. Actually we used to bathe in a friends hot tub in the summer in NC and despite it being hot outside, it does cool you down by the contrast. I would have been in the pool by now. Used to love our pool when we had one.

Changes in the wind said...

Skinny dipping at night is the best:)

Mac n' Janet said...

It looks great, glad you got it done in time for the next heatwave. 120º, how awful is that. We swim every day and I swim in whatever I find to put on. Too cheap to buy a suit.

jack69 said...

Okay, we are moving our house and us to Phoenix. We pay utilities on one house here, the water bill for normal use is $100+ per month. I cannot imagine if we filled a 22K pool. LOL
Looks great, I hope you get some wonderful relaxing times there. Looks great!

Mevely317 said...

It looks SO pretty, Betty! I never knew that about 'diving' pools' insurance being so prohibitive.
I've not been in our disappointingly-shallow 'play pool' in 3 years now. BUT(!) I did break down the other day and ordered suits on Amazon for both of us. Amazingly inexpensive and better still, they FEEL good. Since I had two pre-cancerous spots taken off my face this week, I'm limiting my pool time 'til after dark!

PS - Are you going to install a pool fence? We don't have one, but someone said when we go to sell the house, that will be a requirement. :(

joeh said...

Swimming during a 120 degree heat wave? You might want to add some chopped carrots and potatoes to the pool.

Sally said...

That is a great looking swimming pool, well worth the wait. Enjoy it!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Wow, that is very cheap for a water bill! We pay way more than that.

Your pool is beautiful. We have a very short hot season here, so I've never been tempted to get one. But today it's really warm out and I wouldn't hesitate to jump right in. Fully clothed!

I had no idea insurance is higher when there's a diving board attached but it makes sense. More potential for an accident.

Paula Kaye said...

Such a beautiful pool. I am so jealous. When we had our above ground pool in the back there were times I had to add cold water just to bring down the water temps. When I filled my pool each year it cost around $100. just for the pool water. Yikes you guys will be hot. We got to 104* here yesterday

Haddock said...

It is difficult to accomplish any work if the water pressure is low.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I miss the pool I had in Mesa! It was similar to yours, but bigger and I practically lived in it all summer long when I was a kid. I want to swim so badly, but our above-ground pool needs a new liner and I don't really like swimming in the lake :(

That is a low water bill! I'm glad you have your pool up and ready, enjoy it an extra hour for me :)

Wendy said...

My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house with a pool. It has a diving board, and I think it should go too. That is just something looking for trouble. Your pool is lovely, and I really like the decking around it.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

I love your pool!! Wow, at those temperatures a pool is almost a necessity. I'll bet you can't wait to jump in... I know what you mean about the diving board. Our tax guy is a paraplegic who got that way from diving off a diving board and hitting bottom. Good that yours is gone just in case you got the urge to jump. Enjoy!!

Joanne said...

Lovely pool and you will enjoy it. That keeps me from going insane in TX. It can feel like a spa in August but at least it is wet. Get a fan going on the patio for when you get out. Congrats and enjoy. Cannonball!!!

Denise said...

I am not a lover of the water, but if I lived in Arizona I'd probably want at least someplace to cool off even if it wasn't a huge pool. Filing a pool that size in my community would cost me about $250 cause I would also have to pay for sewage on the water. Still not bad compared to what 22000 gallons of bottled water would cost you.

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I love your pool! The shape, the color...ahh! It looks so enticing!

Birgit said...

Wow...there is always so much work but when you see the results it just feels great. I am amazed at how cheap the water is there considering you are in the desert area aren't you?. Enjoy the pool and the a/c!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How exciting! I'm thrilled for you. It is so wonderful having a pool in your own backyard. (I think Michele and Pam have that pebbletec. It is awesome) Enjoy!!!

Veronica Lee said...

The pool looks lovely. Enjoy, Betty!

Chrys Fey said...

I am so jealous of your pool! I only ever had one of those plastic pools and I haven't had one of those in over ten years. Enjoy your pool!

DMS said...

What a beautiful pool! I think it is awesome that you had all the work done to it so now you can sit back and enjoy it without worries. Taking a dip is a great way to cool off! :) Good luck with those extreme temperatures!
~Jess

Secret Agent Woman said...

Looks very refreshing. But with that fence all the way around, why bother with a bathing suit?

Thea O'Brian said...

Shoot! We have 88 degrees here today and that's unusual for way up here at the top of New York state but 120???? Wow! I don't swim but I bet I would get in anyway in that heat. Ha!
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

Melanie said...

What a lovely pool!! We bought an above ground pool and set it up as salt water. I'm not a pool person but I have made it a point to get in for at least 30 minutes a day with the kids. The temps are in the 90s and sometimes it feels like bathwater during the day the water is so warm!! Hope you get to enjoy your pool all summer!

Liz A. said...

The pool looks great. Can something be done about your water pressure?

I hear you on bathing suits. I don't actually own one myself.

baili said...

wow pool looks very nice and inviting dear ,hope your summer will stay full of fun and blessed
best of luck for you next tasks

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your pool is beautiful. I love having a pool even though we don't get as hot as you.

Kat said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad your pool is finally done. And it looks beautiful! I hope you enjoy it during the heatwave. And remember, lots of sunscreen! ;)

Ann Bennett said...

Wow the water is cheaper than municipal water in Georgia. looks inviting, if life slows down I was going to get an inexpensive above ground pool.

salemslot9 said...

how deep is it?

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

84 hours? Wow! I'm kinda glad I don't have a pool, now! I haven't bought a bathing suit in years either...but I have noticed the prices. Outrageous!

I hope you enjoy the summer by your pool...even if it is 120° (though I don't know how one enjoys 120°!)

Sunni said...

Wow! I'm astounded at how cheap water is in Phoenix! It's the desert after all and should be a lot I think. I don't think our water bill would be that cheap here.

At least the pool is wet so will cool you off even if it gets warm.

Sunni