a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

This is a post about Craigslist and listing free stuff on it. Before I begin, yes I know the dangers of Craigslist and I take a lot of precautions before I post anything on it for free.  I never let the people coming to pick up things inside the house, keep my cell phone handy when they are coming by, and I always let hubby know when someone is coming by, their phone number, name, etc., and text him afterwards.  There are certainly dangers with doing business on it, but there are certainly benefits too.

Sometimes it works to post things on there; sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes people say they will be there and never show up, etc.

Craigslist worked with getting rid of the old wood from a fence we had taken down and a new brick one constructed (that is a story for another day, a lesson in patience).  I advertised it at 6:30 a.m. on Craigslist, within a half an hour I had 5 people interested. I always start with first and then move my way down the list. The first guy said he would be there around 9:30 to pick up the wood. This just represents a fraction of the wood he took. I said in my post they had to take all and he took all. Took him and his friend about an hour to load it in their trailer.



This didn't work. These are two sleeping pads that you would put under your sleeping bag while camping. We bought them when we were going to be without a bed for a bit in a move and thought it might help not have the floor be so hard.  We barely used them, maybe 10 times top. We moved them a lot though and finally hubby was ready to part with them. 

I had 25 people interested in them when I posted them on Craigslist but I could never connect with the people low on the list and after two days I was done; deleted the post and eventually just donated them to Goodwill.



The moving boxes was a success.  We had LOTS OF moving boxes and packing paper.




I would say close to 50 boxes represented here. Hubby still has about 10 boxes to unpack.  

I bound the boxes together except for the big wardrobe and odd sizes.



We had 3 boxes of packing paper. I think the movers kill several trees when they pack your stuff.

We were storing things in the extra bedroom but now it was time to get that a bit more organized. 

I really wasn't going to work on the boxes today but felt like I should so I organized this and that, put some paper in the recycling bin and felt really compelled to put the pictures of the boxes on Craigslist.  Did the posting. 

About 15 minutes later I got an email saying that someone would come and pick them up around 11 a.m. He told me to delete my ad and he would take all the boxes and packing paper. I emailed back and said I wouldn't delete the post until he picked the stuff up but I wouldn't give it to anyone else. I gave him my name, address and phone number.

He showed up 30 minutes early. He had a hatchback car and the minute I saw it I thought "there's no way he is going to be able to get everything in there." 

I was right, he didn't get everything in there but he got all the boxes, some of packing paper but not the 3 boxes of packing paper we had.

We talked a bit as he worked. I told him when he first got there to take his time, I was going to be working inside. I had moved the boxes to the garage and had locked the door from the garage to the house. He was an older man. He said "I have lung cancer, I always have to take my time." I told him when he was done with what he wanted to take to knock on the door and I would close the garage. I also told him if he needed to come back for a 2nd trip I would save the stuff for him.

Ten minutes later he did knock on the door. I thought "oh great, he's done and now I'll still have to figure out how to get rid of a lot of stuff" only to be pleasantly surprised that he had gotten all the boxes in his car.  

I asked him when he was moving and he started telling his story.

His wife will retire the 3rd week in September. She is holding in there until then so she can get medical insurance benefits. 

They are moving back to South Florida where they lived for a long time and there are family and friends still there.

She is a multiple cancer survivor.  He will not be surviving this lung cancer he has.

His main goal is to get her moved and settled in with friends and family close by before he passes.  They have a little condo area they are looking to buy into where she won't have to do outside work and there will be other services available for her. 

He talked matter of factly without remorse or regret.

And so what did I do? I volunteered to take the 3 boxes of packing paper over to their house this weekend in my van (can't do it before because of my work schedule). We're still working out the details.  He might come back for them when his wife is off work the next 2 days or we'll try to unpack more and take the paper and the boxes over to him, about a 30 minute drive.

He was meant to get those boxes. I felt restless until I started working on them, though I was tired, not having slept well the night before.  

God was nudging me. I'm glad I followed through.

They will be in my prayers.

So sometimes Craigslist is beneficial; only if one makes sure to protect themselves in their involvement with it.

56 comments:

Barbara Fisher said...

I wondered where your story was going when I started to read, but what a wonderful outcome. As you say, it was just meant to be. Barbara

marchhousebookscom.blogspot.co.uk/
flitneyfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

Joyful said...

Yes he was meant to get those boxes. Thankfully you listened to the nudging of the Holy Spirit. xx

shortybear said...

nice post

Ann Bennett said...

What a difficult situation for that man and his wife. I'm glad he had good enough health to have time to get his affairs in order.
On Craigslist, it really depends on what you are advertising. I do think most people in this world are no one to be afraid of. I also believe in having some faith in God and others.
I'm glad you were able to help this man and his wife.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh my gosh...what a story, Betty! He was definitely meant to get those boxes. What a terrible thing for that family to be going through.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think it's great you had such success with giving away the fence and the boxes. I love your new fence. I'll be saying a prayer for that couple too.

Bijoux said...

That is nice of you, Betty. I have never even been to the Craigslist website, so I don't know anything about it.

Maria Zannini said...

Wow. That's quite a story.

I get nervous having strangers at my house. Mostly I prefer to put stuff on the curb, with a sign that says Free. We've had the most unlikely things walk off.

Joanne Noragon said...

My one experience with Craig's list was very similar to yours. One of those meant to be.

Saleslady371 said...

This is a very important message for me. I love Craig's List and appreciate your story. I will pray also for this man and his wife. What a gentleman, huh, to love her like that and serve her! Very touching.

Pat Hatt said...

Sometimes it sure pays off to use and you never know who you can help. But yeah, I always meet away from home in a public area, have my phone on and my key in the upright position in case needed for defense lol call me paranoid.

lyndagrace said...

Oh my, the story of the man and his wife touched me. A true love story.
Btw, I hate cancer!
I've never tried Craig's list. I guess all of the negative publicity has scared me away from it.
You do the right thing by being cautious.

jack69 said...

You are one of the good guys (mrs) Charlie Brown. Very touching, life allows us the encounters we can handle best, at times.

Crystal Collier said...

I use craigslist a lot and I've come across a couple stories that tug at my heart too. Here's to following those promptings and making the world a better place.

Chrys Fey said...

I've never listed anything on Craigslist, and only used it twice for things I needed. I'm not much of a fan. I've never come across stories like this, though. They are on my prayers too.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Thank you for sharing this story Betty :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It feels so good to do something nice for someone and to know that God was behind you all the way!

Liuba said...

What a story!!! Thank you for sharing it with us :) Liuba x

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Betty, your post was so touching, it almost brought me to tears. You're a sweetheart!

Paula Kaye said...

I think many times people are just "too fearful of everything". You have to use caution with Craigslist, just like you have to use caution with everything. I used to sell things in Facebook Garage Sale type sites. Much like Craisgslist! My son would have a fit when I was letting strangers come to my house!! I just laughed and said, it's no more dangerous than having a garage sale! And I used to do that all the time. I am so happy for the man who got your boxes. What a blessing he is to make sure his wife is going to be okay before he passes. And you are such a blessing to him!!!

Thea O'Brian said...

Oh my Goodness!
Thanks for sharing this.
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

Mevely317 said...

We've bought, but never listed anything on Craig's List.
I, too, would be reluctant to let anyone near the house; but your precautions sound like something everyone should adopt. Too many crazies or misplaced souls out there!

Your visitor's story certainly hit close to home. (There but for the grace of God ...)
They are in my prayers!

Chatty Crone said...

I have been afraid of Craigslist a little bit. But boy God id good, and all the time!!!!!!

Liz A. said...

Great story. Glad you could help.

Have you heard of Freecycle? It's just for giving away stuff you want to get rid of. Similar to your Craigslist offerings, but only for free stuff.

Birgit said...

How sad that you have to take those precautions but you did the wise thing. What a sad story but it was meant to be and very sweet of you to bring the last bit to him. I know it is not realistic but I hope he beats the odds

IntenseGuy said...

Such a turn of events - you just never know what a person's story is - until you listen to them.

Jerralea said...

You just never know ... It was meant to be!

Glad you take precautions, though ...

Elizabeth said...

God works in such interesting ways! I'm glad that the right person got your boxes and that you take precautions. I will also keep this couple in my prayers.

Joy said...

Never used craigslist. Always think of it in relation to the Craigslist killer (:o) Thanks for sharing.
Joy @ The Joyous Living

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What a bittersweet story. So glad you were able to help that man out. I'll think about him and his wife in my prayers.

Susan Says

Gwynn Rogers said...

WOW!!! You are one BRAVE lady by using Craig's list. I'm afraid to use it, and so far I haven't needed to... PHEW! I have put the word out through friends and sold things that way. Man, your move was quite the move! Since we had to get rid of so much stuff, in reality, my move wasn't as bad as yours, I just had to do more of the running back and forth myself. Congratulations for surviving your move and the A to Z Challenge.

TARYTERRE said...

Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time.

Lux G. said...

I'm one of those people who's to paranoid to use Craiglist.
Glad to have read your story.

Wendy said...

Oh Betty, what a beautiful story. I'm glad this lovely couple found your ad.

baili said...

all is well when the end is well,glad you found nice people finally dear,when we were moving to our new house we had to sell some of our old furniture in order to buy new for new home but thankfully we found buyers from our surrounding i there was no need to put add on some site though my eldest son insisted for it

Linda said...

Very uplifting! That's the fun part of sales and freebies, hearing the back stories. Glad you are settling in nicely.

Joanne said...

It was meant to be and you truly helped him and his wife. Hope the move works out for them. Nice story and the way life should be

SweetMarie said...

funny how things work out sometimes. :)

Sharon said...

Sometimes the way that God works surprises me greatly. Though really, I shouldn't be surprised - He is kinda known for His *mysterious* ways!!

What a neat (but kinda sad) story. Wonderful that your lives intersected with this gentleman and his wife. Can't wait to hear if there's another chapter...

GOD BLESS!

(Happy Mother's Day, Betty! Hope it's a really special one!)

Juli G said...

I love this story. :)

And am bummed... I could have used the sleeping pads... Youngest lost his on a camp out somewhere. I would have sent you a check for the shipping. Bummer. :)

Linda Lee said...

An amazing story of how our Lord moves in our lives. Thank you for being willing to follow His leading to help this special couple.

Thea O'Brian said...

God Bless you Betty!
http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

New Release Books said...

A wonderful outcome. I always read about dangers of giving addresses on Craigslist and this post was a surprise. God bless you.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Oh my gosh, I've got tears in my eyes. Bless his heart. Bless your heart for being an angel and helping in their time of need. You just never know, do you? Everyone has a story.

Dan N Jaye said...

Remarkable story!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

He was definitely meant to get those boxes. Such a touching post Betty. Bless you.

Melanie said...

It sounds like the right person came along!! The boxes were meant for him. That has happened to me a few times when I had things to give away. After a few no-shows, the perfect person got it.

yaya said...

My kids use Craig's list and Facebook garage sales sites and have had success. I only used it once and my son did all the negotiations! I might try it again as we are getting rid of lots of things. I've given most of it away to church rummage sales and Goodwill. You are a sweet soul to help this gentleman out. Lung cancer is a quick, no win disease in many cases. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Kat said...

Oh Betty. Isn't it amazing how God works? Puts us where we need to be? Thank you for sharing that story. It is sad but somehow comforting as well. That couple will be in my prayers as well.

I have used Craiglist a number of times to buy things (a couple of really nice dressers, a violin, and a Barbie Dream House, for starters) but I haven't sold anything yet. I really should. I have so much to clean out of the basement.

Weekend-Windup said...

Thanks for sharing this post! God knows everything where to keep each an every one..

Sunni said...

Craigslist can be good and bad. We've actually had quite good luck with it so far. I don't blame you for being cautious though, especially in the times we live in. It's good to have safety measures in place.

I think it's wonderful for you to help the man out with the packing supplies. Good for you.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm glad you were able to help. He sounds like a very brave man.

I've never used any site like that although we probably have things we could get rid of. Gumtree is the site that's more used in the UK.

DMS said...

I have never used Craigslist before- but I am glad you have had such good experienced. Nice to get rid of things for free!

I do think you were meant to meet that man. We never know who will come into our lives and why. I am glad he met you. :)
~Jess

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

What a good man! I pray he knows the Lord and that his peace with his condition stems from that. I don't know that Craig's list is any more dangerous than hosting a garage sale or having service men out to your house. Anyone could be casing your home for a future burglary. Even old what's his name who knows your second cousin and stopped by, could be up to no good. We just have to take the precautions we can and go on with life.
Barbara, blogging at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Veronica Lee said...

That was so nice of you, Betty. You are a darling!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

My sister has good luck with Craig's list. She even got me a phone from there, and it's been a good one, and at a good price. I'd be a little leery, though. That's just my suspicious nature.

Since I have decided to clean out my "hoarding" room, I sure could have used some of those boxes...