a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

miscommunication

You guys all know we are buying a house down in Phoenix.  You guys all know based on my last post that we are (were) planning to move down there this weekend (Saturday to be exact, with cable/Internet being connected on Sunday).  

We were supposed to close tomorrow.  It might happen; it might not happen.

Imagine my shock when at lunch around 2:30 this afternoon I saw an email from the title company that they were expecting us to be down there tomorrow at 10 a.m. to close.  In person, to sign the papers.

Now, lets backtrack just a little bit. We are getting our loan through our bank that we have done business with for over 10 years. We got a good rate. Everything was steady to close tomorrow.

The person I've been dealing with there is not the sharpest person on the planet, but I've been really trying to work with her. She asked me what time I wanted to close on tomorrow. I said "the earlier the better" and came up with 10 a.m.  It NEVER dawned on me that we were expected to actually sign in person because its been close to 10 years since I bought a house with a loan. No one, realtor, title person, loan people, etc., ever confirmed that we had to be there and it just wasn't on our radar to remember that we would have to actually sign in person. I just thought closing time was when the bank would transfer the money for the loan to the title company.  She sent an email about a week ago confirming the 10 a.m. closing time at the title office, but I NEVER GOT THE EMAIL (I saw the email today on a paper trail of other emails sent between our realtor, the bank, and title company). Now why I didn't get the email, I have no idea. I hate spam, so I'm always cleaning up my spam file daily. I live on my email. I check it morning, noon, night and anytime between then. If I had gotten that email, I would have put the pieces together that we were supposed to be down there and I would have changed the date of closing because there was no way we could have been down there that particular time on that particular day due to other obligations. 

We bought another house down in Phoenix (another story for another day) recently for cash and they were able to send us the papers which we had notarized and then sent back. So we thought it would be something similar this time around.

Needless to say, everything was supposed to be in place to close tomorrow. Needless to say, we might not. Needless to say, this didn't catch God by surprise. Needless to say, I have heartburn right now, but am enjoying a nice glass of wine (always easier to move if one indulges in a glass or two of wine during stress; at least for me). 

We have a plan in place to close tomorrow if the bank will accept it. Involves me notarizing papers up here, son driving up here to get papers to drive down to Phoenix (1-1/2 hours apart), getting papers to hubby who works 1 hour away from Phoenix, getting a mobile notary to meet him there to sign the papers, getting the papers back to the title company and close....hopefully....if the bank will let us sign the documents in two different places....call being made to the bank first thing in the morning to see if that will be okay. And I have to say, if you are ever in Prescott and you need a personal banker, I got just the lady for you. I called her with our problem (having the loan documents sent to the bank to be printed and me notarizing them); I went down there today and she walked me through the whole process, tried to problem solve as she could, and set up for me to be at the bank immediately when it opens tomorrow to get things taken care of before I have to go to work. She's the best!

I'm too old for this stress......

It will get resolved and if our closing date gets moved back a day or two, we can still work it out.

Never again......I will never move again (of course I said that 10 moves ago).

and if you are reading this and it is early in the morning of Wednesday and if you pray, say a prayer.......

28 comments:

joeh said...

I have closed on three homes in my lifetime and not a one went smoothly and without some nail biting. I am guessing it will all workout, it usually does, but I'll throw in a quick prayer anyway.

Eileen T said...

Keeping fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

Sally said...

Oh goodness, I hope it gets sorted for you.

Bijoux said...

I'm surprised because so much business is handled by electronic signature these days. How stressful! I said a prayer for you!

Maria Zannini said...

Why is it closings can never be smooth? The last one nearly killed me.
The time before that hubby had to give me power of attorney so I could sign for both of us.

Hang in there.

Ann Bennett said...

Oh how I hate surprises like that. I think when you have a scenario in your head how things are going to happen, it is hard to notice how you do it at times. I know that is true for me.

I'm glad you are able to sign for the papers with a notary. Frankly, I don't know why you need to be present. The papers just need to be signed.

Saleslady371 said...

Praying, Betty, right now!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am praying all goes well and that house is yours today !

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh my gosh, Betty! I was reading this stressful post and I was having heart palpitations by the time I was done. I can only imagine how all this chaos has made you feel! Fingers, toes and eyeballs crossed that everything will turn out fine. In the meantime, remember to breathe!

Intense Guy said...

Moving is a stressful thing - I've been through four settlements and have begun to think no one in the industry is competent!

Hope it goes well today!

Pat Hatt said...

Damn, there is always something when moving. This one is a rather big something. Hopefully it all works out with the notary game of hot potato haha

Mevely317 said...

Good grief! After reading this earlier, I was ready for a glass of wine myself ... and it wasn't yet 5AM. :)

It sounds as if your carefully-laid Plan B should trump any hurdles. Nonetheless, I'm praying!

lyndagrace said...

This will all seem like a dream when you are sipping a glass of wine in you new home. :) Wishing you the best of luck and a smooth closing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You know I am praying.....
I can't believe this and I am so sorry for the stress involved but I hope they accept your plan and the closing goes through as expected. xoxo

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

I spent several years being a notary closing agent. In my experience, NONE of the folks involved in your loan want it not to happen, and they will bend over backwards to make it happen. It's expensive and time consuming for them to have to redo everything. There is no reason why a notary can't bring the paperwork to your house for all the necessary paperwork. If they don't manage to do it, just rest in knowing God has a reason and a plan.

In the meantime, I'm sorry about the worry and the mix-up.

Chrys Fey said...

Buying and moving stress is the worst. I hope everything works out for you!

Paula Kaye said...

Saying a prayer for you today Betty! My brother just went through a huge mess with closing a house in Louisiana. He made his daughter power of attorney so she could sign all the papers for him and the bank wouldn't accept any of that! I am not looking forward to buying another house! Maybe I will just stay right here.

Birgit said...

Yuck! That sucks but wine helps and having the attitude if it is meant to be, it is meant to be. Of course easier said than done. I keep my fingers crossed.

Chatty Crone said...

I am confused when we had our house up we did everything on the computer with e signatures - never signed in person one paper. GOOD LUCK!

TARYTERRE said...

Saying a prayer. Hope you get to close. Things have a way of working out for a reason????

Wendy said...

Oh boo -- how aggravating. Yes, things can change dramatically in just a few years. The paperwork grew like a weird virus between purchases of our homes.

jack69 said...

I am reading this late. I hope agreement was reached, but life goes on either way. (That is soooooo easy to say when it AIN'T ME!) I hope agreement can be reached, closing on a home is a BIG DEAL.

I do like the humor, I think we all can say that to some extent, NEVER AGAIN (SAID 10 TIMES BEFORE!)

Love it, love and best wishes to you guys!

Sabrina A. Fish said...

I've only closed on one house so far and it was complete with the builder throwing his huge company checkbook at my husband because we dared to complain about things that hadn't been done as we asked. Needless to say, we will never use that builder again. We moved the closing back so the builder would correct the mistakes. So stressful. I liked picking out each feature of the house, but I didn't like not being able to trust the builder to do as he said he would.

Hope all went well today with your closing.

DMS said...

Holy cow! So sorry to hear that you have been under so much stress with this closing. It sounds like you have come up with a great plan and I am so glad you found someone at the bank who is really helping you to work out the problem. Wishing you the best of luck with the closing and please give us an update (even a super quick one). :)

Good luck!!!
~Jess

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Commenting late to this, but I really hope things went smoothly :))

@dcrelief from
Remove the rose Colored glasses
anartfulblogger

Linda Schrankel said...

I just was able to read this...I pray things worked out for you. If not, perhaps it was not the right house. Please keep us posted!

Liz A. said...

Yikes. You'd think there would have been a heads-up, you have to be here, something... But it's now late Wednesday evening, so I'm sure that it's all done one way or the other. Let us know what happened, please.

Kathryn McKendry said...

Oh yes the joys of moving! I hope things went well.