a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, March 31, 2016

a tale of two tall trees

We are settling down here in Phoenix.  I have lots more stories to tell about the move, and even though I said I wouldn't post until the start of A/Z, I feel compelled to tell this story tonight. 

We had a new roof put in on Monday; we knew it needed it. We got the house at a really good price and we knew there would be repairs needed, but it was a good location, nice layout, etc., so we bought the house basically "as is."

In front of the house were two large palm trees.  I'm guessing at least 50 feet if not more.

We knew we wanted those trees taken out. Phoenix can get some "nasty" monsoon storms with lots of rain and lots of wind.  They were a liability issue. Looking online, I saw how expensive they were to be taken down and then an additional charge to remove the stump.  

The house had been vacant for 3 months before we moved in. Weeds were abundant in the backyard (another story for another day). Monday while the roofers were here, I was working on trying to get someone to come and take care of the weeds. 

Roofers are loud.

You all know that.

Anyway, the doorbell rings and when I go to answer it, there is a young Hispanic man at the door. He mentions palm trees.  I cannot truly hear him because of the roofers so I step outside to talk with him. We have a bit of a language barrier but I finally get that he and his friend want to trim the palm trees.

I say "no." We want them removed completely. Stumps and all.

He looks at his friend like "I don't think we can do this" and his friend looks at the trees and gives me a price to remove both trees. I don't usually like to list money here but I'm going to do so for comparison sake. He said $250 each (including stumps). I had seen online $1200 and up per tree, not including stumps.  I asked him about two other stumps we had in the front yard and he said he would do those both for $120, total $620.  

I said I would check with my husband, we worked out that they would come back on Wednesday to do the work.

They showed up today to do the job. Later than they said, but at least they showed up. (another story for another day). 

When I saw them continually eyeing the tree and getting their things together, I'm like "oh no, what have I done." They wanted a vehicle moved from across the street but no one was home to do so. Busybody neighbor men are coming out looking at what is going on. I'm thinking "thank God we have homeowner's insurance and will they cover damage."

You can see how tall this tree was. I didn't think of taking pictures until the first one was down. You can see one of the workers next to the tree.




Needless to say, they did a great job. When the first tree was coming down, there was about a 20 foot part of it that he was cutting, the other guy was holding ropes to help guide the tree down. As I saw him cutting and seeing the tree was about to fall, I'm literally saying "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" (not as a curse, but as a prayer.) 

The tree fell perfectly in our yard, no damage to anyone. I breathed a sigh of relief and said a thank you prayer.

Somewhere up in this tree is the man starting to cut down the second tree. You can see his ropes dangling.



Like I said, they did a great job. They did exactly what they said they would do. Cut the trees, took out the stumps, hauled the debris away. 

I asked on Monday and they said they basically drive around looking for work. They do a lot of other stuff, we will probably use them again for some landscaping in the front and other odds and ends.

They left to dump the debris three fourths of the way into their project when both trees were done and two stumps were done; all that needed to be done were the stumps from the trees they cut down. One guy asked me for half the money, which I gave him. I figured if they didn't come back, it was still a good deal with what they had done.

When they finished up at the end of the day, working hard, diligent. I paid the rest of the money. I threw in a little extra for they truly had worked hard. I think they appreciated it. You could see by the look on their faces they were not used to that. 

I felt compelled to give that extra.

God met needs today. In more ways than one. We needed trees down. They needed money made.

This was just one of such stories that happened today. God is faithful. God is good. God provides.

(I'll share the rest after A/Z)

30 comments:

joeh said...

I would definitely call them back, and you did well to pay more than agreed on. That tree cutting is very dangerous work, which is why it is so expensive.

shortybear said...

you need to call them back.

Eileen T said...

Congratulations on being in your new now 'tree-less' home. I hope you will both be very happy there.

Maria Zannini said...

You were lucky. For such a dangerous job you'd be safer if they had been bonded in case the worst happened.

But all's well that ends well. Congrats!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You were blessed with those workers showing up just when you needed them and I'm sure they were thankful for the work. I know I'd have been a little leery of someone like that. So glad it all worked out. Now you won't have to worry about the trees when it storms.

Ann Bennett said...

That is nerve wracking. I'm glad it turned out well. They sound like a good team to do a lot work for hire you may need.

Chatty Crone said...

I was afraid at first one fell on the house - I am so happy and thankful it all worked out so well!

Linda said...

Those trees are huge! Glad the improvements have been going well.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

What a wonderful, heartwarming story. The way you two came together is a true blessing. You are so kind and generous to give more for a job well done, and to show your appreciation. I've no doubt they are not used to that!

Veronica Lee said...

Those palm trees are really tall! What a blessing to have those workers showing up just when you needed them and so glad that everything worked out well.

jack69 said...

I always add to the price for hard work and honest labor. Glad you feel the same. When I am given a good price and know it, you know the one's giving the price know it also. Great deal and it is ALWAYS good to have names for reference and for other work needed, especially in a new location, sometimes it is worth it's weight in gold.

You must admire the tall slender palms, I see them in Florida and wonder how they stay up in the wind...

Well, you won't miss the shade. LOL

Sally said...

It's nice to know that you can still trust some people to do a good job.

Bijoux said...

Wow! You got an amazing price for the size of those trees! We have had to have a lot of trees cut down over the years. Your standard mature oak is usually $600. I've always thought the high price was paying for their liability insurance.

I'm glad you got it off your list!

Pat Hatt said...

Dang, they were some big trees. Glad they did a good job and no cars or roof was caved in.

Paula Kaye said...

God Bless you Betty! And I am thankful you found good, honest people to give that extra money to!

TARYTERRE said...

A wonderful story. I am glad everybody's needs were met.

Misha Gericke said...

Sounds like you've been blessed with the right people coming along at just the right time, and now you can be a blessing to them too. :-)

Saleslady371 said...

Beautiful testimony of what can happen when we call on the Name of Jesus! So happy for you. Bet you're relieved.

Joanne Sisco said...

These guys sound like keepers!

Don't you just love it when needs align at the right time and it's a win-win for everyone?

I'm glad you paid them more than originally agreed upon. We had a similar situation a few years ago with our fence. Part way through the job it become apparent that the job was much uglier than we all thought. The original quote was not reasonable and we paid accordingly.
It was still a win-win - we were delighted with the fence, and the guy was happy to have had the work with a top-up he wasn't expecting.
Wish he was still around ... I have soooo many projects I could give him!!

Mevely317 said...

I've a hunch it was no accident those two workers showed up on your front porch when they did! :)

If they do work out on our side of town, would you share their contact info? I'd like Tom to give them a call about cutting back our cypress trees. Like you, I've visions of a monsoon storm taking out our back wall and the neighbor's balcony. Yikes!

Linda Schrankel said...

The Lord was taking care of both of you! I am sure they greatly appreciated the "bonus." They will always be willing to work for you.

Mildred said...

Congrats on getting in and having the roof replaced. What a sweet story about the guys doing such good work on the trees at a reasonable price. Like you, I believe God answered your prayers and theirs. You needed one another! Have a nice weekend.

Liz A. said...

Not "needless to say" they did a great job. You never can tell with some of the door to door types. Some don't do such a great job, so I'm glad you got a good deal with them. That was a hard job.

Elizabeth said...

That would be a scary job! I'm glad everything went well, such a great reminder of God's faithfulness!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Half away through the story, I knew you'd give them extra. I'm glad you did.

Those men were some hard workers...bless them.

Intense Guy said...

Not the prettiest of trees - but I hate to see the greenery gone. Will you replace them with new, much smaller trees?

Melanie said...

Wow, those were some super tall trees!! Glad the guys did a great job at a bargain price for you. It is hard to find someone to do work like that these days. Either they don't show up or they charge an arm and a leg...
www.valeroni.com

Debby@Just Breathe said...

A new roof is so awesome! Wow, those were very tall palm trees. I'm so glad that it all worked out for you at such a great price. Now you can breathe a little easier.....

Sasha Knight said...

I'm glad this worked out for you, although those palm trees are ones that are coveted where I live in South Florida, those were extremely tall. I could understand why you'd want them removed.

Romance, Passion, & Thrills
Twitter: @sashaknight

DMS said...

What an amazing story! Glad the trees came down just as they said they would. I know from experience how costly it can be to have trees taken down and this sounds like a fantastic deal. Glad it was a win, win for all involved. :)
~Jess