a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

My gift to you........

.........if you like rum cake.......



This is the MOST delicious rum cake I have ever tasted (okay, it could possibly be the only rum cake I ever tasted). It is moist, almost melts in your mouth, and SUPER easy to make.

I wrote about this rum cake before on blogs in the past.  I was first introduced to it when we lived in Montana.  A friend from church made these as gifts to special friends.  To get on their list of who they made the cakes for was a privilege and once on the list, you pretty much stayed on the list.  The list was short and not a lot of names were added to it yearly.

We found ourselves on the list one year.  I'm not sure how we ended up on it, perhaps it was because of the work hubby did with the worship band there and also how he mentored extensively the hubby of the baker of the cakes.  When he walked in with the cake that first year we got it, it was like "YES" we made the list.

The wife never shared the recipe, though it was asked for repeatedly and often by those that received the cake.  She even made a rum cake for son's birthday one year, not even close to the holidays.  So we considered ourselves pretty darn special to get this extra attention and an extra cake.

When we moved from Montana nine years ago, in their going away card, she tucked the recipe for the rum cake in it.  Written across it was "Top Secret." 

Obviously she didn't want it shared with anyone.

And so we didn't.  We made it a few times over the years.  A Christmas here, a Christmas there.

Two made this Christmas. One for hubby's work party and one to take with us to celebrate Christmas with son and his family.

I got to thinking.  Its been nine years since we moved.  We haven't really kept up with them and their friendship.  I have no idea if she is even making rum cakes any more.  I'm sure she wanted the recipe to be kept top secret for the people in Montana.  No one from my time in Montana reads this blog.  So I got to thinking perhaps I would share the recipe with you all........

And so, my Christmas gift to you:

Rum Cake Recipe:

1 yellow cake mix
1 vanilla or lemon instant pudding mix (small size) (we use lemon)
4  eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rum

Sauce:  
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup rum

Combine cake ingredients for 5 minutes on medium speed.  Grease and flour a bundt pan.  Bake 35-50 minutes at 350 degrees (it takes about 35 minutes in our oven).

Boil sauce 3 minutes; it will be clear with a golden color when done.

While cake is in pan, pour sauce over it to soak into cake (pour sauce slowly as soon as cake is out of the oven).

Remove from pain in 30 minutes; sprinkle with powered sugar.

Trust me, it is absolutely delicious and I'm not much of a cake eater.  

This will be my last blog post of 2015.  Its been a good year, filled with so many wonderful blessings from God; a marriage, a daughter in law, a grandson on the way, a new state, a new job for hubby; so much more.  I'm thankful.  Only silver lining is a certain corgi is not here to co-sign my blog post of wishes for the most merriest of Christmases, it was "our" tradition always to sign off with that we loved and appreciated all of you that came to read the scribbles I wrote.

So I'll sign off the same, singly this year.  Love you all and thank you for reading these scribbles I write.  You are all the best.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you.  


Luke 2:11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

(and indeed He is)

37 comments:

Mildred said...

Merry Christmas, Betty. We lost our little mini dachshund this year so I know how you feel. I love the photo of your corgi on your sidebar. My husband and late mom always loved anything with rum. Thank you for sharing this special recipe.
Enjoy your time with family and thank you for your blog friendship.

Pat Hatt said...

Merry Christmas, hope you have a great time indeed. Yeah, sure she won't ever know you shared the recipe haha

Bijoux said...

Wishing you a beautiful Christmas, Betty. That recipe sounds easy and yummy. I always feel special when someone takes the time to make me a holiday goodie. I received a box of homemade cinnamon walnuts this year and I've certainly enjoyed them!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank you for passing on that wonderful recipe. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Intense Guy said...

Happy New Years!

I can still hear my complete teetotaler Grandmother giggling about how she was going to get drunk eating a small slice of Rum Cake! :) She allowed her Grandsons extra big slices though...

LOL!

Joanne Noragon said...

You have a wonderful new year in store, and in the meantime, Merry Christmas, too.

Patio Postcards said...

Merry Christmas Betty - thanks for visiting my Blog today, I enjoyed your visit. Thank you for the rum cake recipe - yummy. At one of our book club pot luck lunches, 4 of the ladies brought rum cake - hilarious & thankful the hostess had a substantial main for lunch.

Maria Zannini said...

Thank you! I was googling rum cake recipes only last week. Talk about timing.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Saleslady371 said...

Great story about the rum cake. My mom use to make them when I was little and they are such a gift to people. Thank you for the recipe. It surely is a gift. And I think it's funny that it was such a hit in the church crowd. That's the best part of all!!!!!!

Merry Christmas, my friend!
Mary

Kat said...

I have saved this page so that I can make that rum cake. It looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I shall keep it top secret. ;)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and another blessed and happy New Year!

Mevely317 said...

I had to do a double-take when I spotted this, Betty!
Tom and I were up late (well later than usual) making rum cakes to bring into the office! Our recipe is practically identical, except for the pudding mix ... what a great idea! :)
Then, the last batch I 'accidentally' added another 1/4 c. of rum to the glaze... so it's locked in the trunk of my car so as not to 'stink' up the office. LOL :)

May you and your hubby, son and DIL all enjoy a very Merry Christmas!

Chatty Crone said...

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, full of love and laughter. I am so glad we share the love of Jesus!
Love, sandie

Eileen T said...

I've never tried rum cake before, so I may have a go at this recipe but it'll have to be after Christmas now as I refuse to go shopping again before the big day!

Hope you and all your family have a lovely Christmas xx

Jo said...

I do hope she doesn't know. Mind you, I think not sharing recipes is stupid I'm afraid. We knew someone who made pickled peppers stuffed with sauerkraut. She gave us 12 jars one year (we had eaten them before) but she would not part with the recipe. I suppose it went to the grave with her. I know she made her own sauerkraut.

For me, if I have a recipe you like, you can have it with pleasure.

Liz A. said...

Merry Christmas. Better make this post non-searchable, or someone might find the recipe. Nice to have made the "list".

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, this looks so delicious! I've never tried rum cake, so when I make this, it will be the first time I've ever tasted it :) Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you don't get into trouble! :)

I wish you and your loved ones a beautiful Christmas. Thanks for being a part of my blogging world and for all the wonderful comments you leave. It's a joy having you in my circle!

Paula Kaye said...

Merry Christmas to you Betty. Having you in my life this past year has been wonderful! You always have just the right thing to say. I am glad that you have had a wonderful year. May next year bring us many more blessings.

Veronica Lee said...

Thank you for sharing the wonderful recipe.
Wishing you a very merry Christmas, sweet lady!

Sunni said...

Betty,

The rum cake sounds delicious and thanks for sharing the recipe.

I have to agree that it's the readers that make blogging all worth it. I, too, appreciate the time it takes to visit me, read my scribbles and leave a comment. It's hard to blog everyday because life does go on for all of us. It's nice to have readers that come by to read when you have the time to post something new.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. We should never forget to count our blessings every single day.

Sunni

Linda said...

Looks delicious! I remember reading of this special occasion cake top secret cake. Even with the recipe, sometimes it is the person making it that makes it extra special!

Looking forward to an even more exciting new year for you.

Happy Birthday! Prince of Peace! Merry Christmas Betty & Family!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. It will undoubtedly remain "top secret" in Montana, but it can bring much joy as a "top secret" cake in other locations, now!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Merry Christmas Betty! This looks wonderful. I dare not bake another thing... I have eaten way too much already. Maybe next year... :-)

Liuba said...

What a funny story ohh :))) Thank you very much for this special gift :) Wishing you a wonderful New Year. May God bless you and the whole family! Liuba x

Lux G. said...

I wish I can taste it from here. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so awesome, a secret cake recipe! Thank you for sharing it. I would love to try to make it, it sounds delicious. Hope your had a lovely Christmas. It's been fun here and busy. A little quite time this morning to read a few blogs. Happy New Year!

Juli G said...

I wonder if I could do this gluten free? There are some great mixes out there.... Hmmmm....

Who am I kidding? After working so much this last month the Rum would never make it into the cake. :)

Mary said...

I make an Eggnog Rum Cake that is really good. I think the pudding in your cake makes it so moist.
Hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Betty! Came over from Martha's blog. Happy New Year when it comes!

SweetMarie said...

pretty header! hope you and your family enjoyed a Merry Christmas!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

That rum cake looks delicious. Happy New Year!

DMS said...

I don't think I have ever had rum cake. But of course I want to try some of this top secret rum cake. I loved the story behind it and I look forward to having my fiance make this for us. :) Thanks for sharing! Hope your Christmas was merry! :)
~Jess

betty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I don't think I've ever eaten rum cake, but the recipe looks mouth-watering. Hope you had a good Christmas. We lost our lovable mutt, Cezar two years ago, so I know what you must be feeling without your Corgi. Hope 2016 shines bright for you.

Deanna said...

Merry Christmas and happy New Year, Betty. And thank you for the Christmas gift! That is a special story and a special gift.

Deanna

Danielle L Zecher said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I'm so sorry you had to sign off without Koda. They really do own a little piece of our hearts.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've never made a rum cake, but this seems great. Do you ever use dark rum? We have a bottle of that on hand, and I'm wondering if it will work.

Linda Schrankel said...

Happy New Year Betty. What a fun story about the rum cake. It has been a year of adventures for you. There are so many things to look forward to in 2016. Being a grandma is truly one of God's greatest blessings. It is an emotion and a feeling that cannot be described or understood until the moment your new grandchild is placed in your arms. God Bless!

Shilpa Chandrasekheran said...

Looks great
Feeling to eat some red velvet cake now 😜
http://shilpachandrasekheran.blogspot.in/?m=1