a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Guest Post by Stephen Tremp

Welcoming Stephen to my blog today as he is doing a blog tour of his recently published Salem's Daughters book.  Hope you all enjoy what Stephen has written about! Thanks Stephen for sharing it with us!



Google Paranormal and Supernatural and you’ll get a wide range of definitions. The terms are not synonymous, although many like to blend their definitions and borders in popular literature and entertainment. 

Paranormal Activity is phenomena popular in culture and often refers to vampires, werewolves, and ancient gods rearing their heads today (Harry Potter, Twilight, and Percy Jackson). The protagonists have magical powers that help keep the evil forces at bay. It’s not something that needs to be explained scientifically. Romance is often introduced into this genre. 

The Supernatural would also indicate no explanation by normal or scientific means. However, the activity is attributed to a supernatural source such as God, demons, angels, and so on. The supernatural has a spiritual tone and was once a part of our world and had a place in it. 

But it has transformed itself and returned to our world to defy it. There is a fear brought on by something like a housing development built on an ancient Indian cemetery (Poltergeist) or someone sees dead people (The Sixth Sense) or something traumatic has happened like a murder of an innocent person with more murders on tap (Ghost). 
Poltergeist (Noisy Ghost) 

The supernatural often has the element of horror (Pet Semetery and The Shining) but it's not necessarily a staple (Field of Dreams). Behavior and events have been influenced by the intervention of supernatural beings with secret powers that influence earthy affairs. 

But the emphasis is mainly on suspense rather than horror, although there can be some horror in the story. A paranormal setting is usually less violent and often relies on a romantic theme. You won't find too much of the latter in a supernatural thriller. less violent and often relies on a romantic theme.
The Blending: Today, we see a blending of genres. That's the norm. And it's okay. It's not critical to draw lines in the sand and say this is paranormal and this is supernatural. Hollywood liberally slaps the word "paranormal" on a movie that is really a supernatural thriller. But it is important to draw at least a few distinctions so we can write better stories and know when it's appropriate to combine these genres and when to differentiate between them.

Fun Fact Cats have been known to survive falls of up to 32 stories onto concrete due to their "righting reflex."

Did You Know One person in Italy willed their cat the equivalent of $13 million.

Short Blurb A four hundred year old evil is unleashed when the daughters of those killed during the Salem Witch Trials find a new generation of people to murder at a popular modern-day bed and breakfast. 

Question: Do you believe in things paranormal and supernatural that lie beyond the realm of our five senses?

Stephen Tremp writes Speculative Fiction and embraces science and the supernatural to help explain the universe, our place in it, and write one of a kind thrillers. 

You can read a full synopsis and download Salem’s Daughters by Clicking Here

Stephen Tremp posts weekly blogs at his website Breakthrough Blogs

27 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Betty and Stephen - it's good to have that distinction made - both are genres I don't read or know much about. Though Salem's Daughters should open my eyes further ... and it's a different style of writing for Stephen - good luck .. cheers Hilary

Chatty Crone said...

I wish him good luck!

Pat Hatt said...

That is one rich cat haha there is much out there beyond what we know, whether it is supernatural or not, who knows.

Veronica Lee said...

I wish him good luck too!

Maria Zannini said...

I believe in the supernatural judging by all the ghosts I've seen in my life. LOL.

I'm not sure about the paranormal though.

Re: wills
I plan to make my dogs very well off when I go. :)

Intense Guy said...

The human being's five senses are rather limited - so there are lots of things "beyond the realm" of our senses - and I suspect a lot of what we attribute to "supernatural" is "out there" at the limits of our ability to sense them.

For example - we can only see a small range of light (Red through Violet) and the spectrum goes way beyond that in both directions - Just what is out there that we cannot "see"?

Chrys Fey said...

I remember looking these definitions up. They do overlap but have differences. It's still hard for me to figure out if something is more paranormal or supernatural.

Chrys Fey said...

I remember looking these definitions up. They do overlap but have differences. It's still hard for me to figure out if something is more paranormal or supernatural.

jack69 said...

Not my genre, but I prefer fiction to real life. I tell everyone I live real life 24/7 with all it's warts and sores, I like to read and write fiction, where I decide how life comes out. haahahahaha

Good entry Stephen

Paula Kaye said...

I do believe in some things. There is an old lady ghost that lives in my house. I see her on occasion. She isn't scary at all!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I'm open to things! You just never know. A cat surviving a fall of up to 32 stories is pretty amazing!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I would say that I believe a little bit in the supernatural. I can say that I loved the Twilight movies but don't believe in werewolves. Thanks for the information, it was insightful.

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Betty, thanks for hosting me today! I greatly appreciate it. And thanks for everyone stopping by and taking time to leave a comment.

diedre Knight said...

Excellent post, Stephen! I can't resist this kind of stuff:-)And yes, I do believe in things that lie beyond the realm;-)
Thanks for sharing Stephen with us, Betty!

Bijoux said...

It's hard to not believe in the supernatural as most people have had some experience with it.

Mevely317 said...

I hadn't given it much thought before, but those differences (between paranormal and supernatural) are interesting! I've no first-hand experience with either (whew!), but the supernatural sounds more ... oh, I don't know, inviting?

Jo said...

I didn't realise there was a distinct difference.

Cats are incredible animals, 32 storeys? Incredible.

Liz A. said...

I had no idea the two terms meant something different. I always kind of assumed they were synonyms.

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I love the cover and the premise. I was a HUGE fan of Poltergeist, so it was fun to see the photo. Also, great distinction between the two genres.

Nick Wilford said...

That's interesting, I hadn't really known the difference between the two before. Maybe "paranatural" could be a new term for stories that mash them up. We are free to meld any genres to make something exciting, but like you say, it's important to know what we're doing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now I know the difference! Thanks, Stephen.

Jerralea said...

Neither are my genre at all, but I do thank you, Stephen, for explaining the difference. Best wishes to you on your new book!

Elizabeth said...

That's interesting, I've never thought about the differences between those genres before. And 32 stories, wow!

Kat said...

Very interesting.
I definitely believe in the supernatural. The paranormal, I'm not so sure. I'm willing to consider anything, however. I feel like the universe is SO huge and we are so small (and we only use a very tiny portion of our brains) that there are probably endless creatures/beings out there that we have no idea about.

DMS said...

I wish I was friendly with the $13 million cat! Wow!

Interesting post, Stephen!
~Jess

Birgit said...

This was a great post in defining the difference between the 2 because they often do get confusing.

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks again Betty for hosting me! I can;t comment on the comments so I'm visiting the individual blogs.