a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Prescottonian Christmas

I'm participating in Liz's Christmas Joy Blog Hop today



Since Prescott has the reputation of Arizona's Christmas City, I thought I would share some of the events of the season here.  We didn't participate in a lot of stuff, but did do a few things.


The decorated courthouse by day; at night the trees all around it are decorated with lights as illustrated on my blog header picture.



This is actually in Prescott Valley that connects with Prescott.  It was a light display through a one mile road at a local park.  You stayed in your car driving through the display.  There were a total of 58 lighted displays, some even animated.  I just included a few of the many pictures taken that night.


This is actually not listed on the program of the Valley of Lights, it is right outside the start of it; but I thought it was very pretty.



This candy cane display had were 30 inches tall.



This light display was over in Prescott Valley in front of their city buildings.



Another lighted event, this time held indoors at the shopping mall.  You walked through it.  They had converted the Old Barnes and Noble store building into individual displays of lights, featuring snowmen, penguins, Santa, etc. Each room was playing an appropriate Christmas song that corresponded to the theme of the room.



No Christmas is complete unless it includes a lighted cactus.



Lots of nuts needed for these nutcrackers.



Need to remember why we celebrate Christmas :)


At the Prescott Resort Center they had a display of the world's largest gingerbread village.  It is neat, they had whoever wanted to enter the contest make a gingerbread house.  They judged them and displayed them into a village, donations of which would go to a local organization that helped people.

These were made from honest to goodness food; gum drops, pretzels, gingerbread, etc. Very cute display.



There was also the lighted parade downtown the Saturday after Thanksgiving where each entry had lights on it.  It was a bit cold so we didn't go to that one.

And also a week later the Christmas parade during the day and then the annual Christmas tree lighting at night.  It was a busy weekend so we didn't make it to that one.

And the zoo here has a display of lights in it that people can walk through and see.  We are planning to do that this next weekend so that's why no pictures of that.

Last Friday night was what they call Acker Night. It showcases musical talent by having different groups performing either in front of local businesses on the courthouse square or inside the stores themselves.  People just walk around listening to the music, shopping, etc.  It was fun.  A lot of the entertainment was inside the stores since a snowstorm was forecasted, but the snow held until later in the evening.

So all in all, I do think Prescott can qualify for the distinction of Arizona's Christmas City.  I'm sure there were lots of events that went on that I wasn't even aware of too.

And to end the festive holiday season, on New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight to welcome in the new year, there is a boot drop downtown on the courthouse square followed by fireworks.  Last year we didn't go because it was our first day in Prescott, we had driven all night, and it was COLD; (close to 10 degrees cold) so we opted out. Might go this year, we'll see.





What favorite activity does your city do that you like to participate in at Christmastime?

To check out more entries click here 


44 comments:

Paula Kaye said...

I enjoyed the Christmas tour of Prescott. I love that lighted cross with the poinsettias. Beautiful! I think going to the boot drop would be a hoot. You will have to tell us all about it! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!

joeh said...

Well now I am in the Christmas spirit. Nice displays.

Liz A. said...

I do love your header picture. That's a great display.

I missed this year's boat parade, but that's one thing they do around here. People decorate their boats and then show them off. It was fun to watch last year.

Hollie said...

Thank you for sharing!!! I enjoyed seeing each picture!!! Beautiful!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love Christmas lights and the pictures you got are amazing. Here you would never see a boot drop or a lighted cactus either. So thanks for sharing the ones you have there. I think the cold weather would keep me away from participating in outdoor festivities. 10 degrees is not nice at all. Hope it's warmer for you this year.

Bijoux said...

I love going to things like this. I went to see all the decorated trees at the Botannical Center. This year, they also had a huge gingerbread display made by both professionals and kids. So much fun to see!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, how beautiful! I really loved the lighted cactus. That isn't something you see around here! And that display made out of food is spectacular. This was such a fun post. I had no idea Prescott has the reputation of being Arizona's Christmas City. That is pretty cool.

Maria Zannini said...

That was beautiful!

I'd have to make a special trip to see any city displays.

Although many of my neighbors decorate indoors, few decorate the outside of their homes. I miss seeing the light shows.

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, your city goes all out with lights indeed. The most they do here is a parade I think. But then I don't get out much, so who knows lol

Joanne Noragon said...

A lot of beautiful decorations. Much of Main Street is hung with greens, the buildings, the bridge, the light posts. It's looks like a New England Christmas, as it should, since we are part of the old Connecticut Western Reserve. Not and activity, but I do enjoy seeing them every day.

Tamara Narayan said...

We travel to see my parents in Asheville, NC. At the Grove Park Inn, they host an annual gingerbread contest that is out of this world. The top winners get a segment on Good Morning, America.

Linda said...

Wonderful pictures Betty! Cross was beautiful, good thing before or ACLU would probably shut it down. Cactus was funny! Loved the Gingerbread city. Enjoyed seeing your Christmas city!

Elizabeth said...

I miss the indoor Christmas walk-throughs in Arizona, we used to visit some every year, I haven't really found any here in Oklahoma. Oh, and I miss the Christmas cacti, too :) That gingerbread village is so cute! I like those drive-though lighted archways, it's so fun to look all around as you go though them. There is a fun display in Tulsa that we see every year that you can walk or drive through. They have this section that has a lighted bridge and some trees and arches that flash along with some music.

Sylvia Ney said...

That gingerbread village is insane - I love it!

Intense Guy said...

The colorful lights really help during these dark evenings.

Sharon said...

OK, Prescottonian Christmas is pretty spectacular!! Would love to wander around this Winter Wonderland with you!

One thing that our little town does is light up this huge tree that sits right in the middle of town. We miss the actual lighting ceremony because we're off the hill with family for Thanksgiving. But it's sure a pretty sight when we return! I also like visiting my mom during this time because they have an annual boat parade. It's pretty amazing what some people do - they go all out! And I'm talking huge, lighted themes on huge yachts!

To me, there's just something magical about all the lights at Christmas time!

XO

Birgit said...

The Christmas lights are cool! I love the cactus with the snowman cowboy. The lights over the bridge are beautiful as well as the poinsettias. The first Friday in Niagara On The Lake they have a Christmas Walk which raises funds for kids. It can be a huge group of 1,000 people-we light candles and we walk around the town looking at the lit up houses plus they have manger scenes, carolers and other festive things. After, we go for a hot spiked coffee at a nearby hotel.

Chrys Fey said...

So pretty! I wish my town got into the spirit of the season like this.I haven't done anything festive this year. I had started to make a gingerbread village when I was a kid but the pieces broke from many moves. Love those Nutcrackers!

Chrys Fey said...

So pretty! I wish my town got into the spirit of the season like this.I haven't done anything festive this year. I had started to make a gingerbread village when I was a kid but the pieces broke from many moves. Love those Nutcrackers!

L.G. Keltner said...

Those are some beautiful light displays, and the gingerbread village is adorable! Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas!

Spacerguy said...

You really need to wrap up like a penguin for -10 degrees but WOW with enough of these amazing displays filling us with firey flames of passion, who needs the extra layers. Bring it on Jack Frost... I'm ready - lets rock.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Amazing lights and I like the tin soldiers display. Lighted cactus made me laugh.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

So merry and bright! I especially love the saguaro!

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Ohhh! I've always wanted to go to our festival of lights here in Northern Virginia, but I've never been. Your town looks much more quaint than does ours. I don't really think we have a lot of here other than the Festival of Lights tour. I also love your banner with all the lighted trees. By the way, I think we may be having Arizona temps here right now. It was near 70 today, but it's been cool in the evenings... Not enough like winter for me.

Saleslady371 said...

No wonder they call it The Christmas City. Prescott is beautiful at any time of year and I really enjoyed your photos at Christmastime. It just gets so cold there!!!! I think it is one of the most beautiful towns in AZ.

Chatty Crone said...

I love this really puts me in the Christmas spirit - I am loving all things Christmas this year.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is really awesome! I have to say they go all out at Christmas. So glad you got to see these displays. That Valley of Lights display is beautiful.
Merry Christmas and may you be blessed with happiness.
Debby

DMS said...

Look at all those fun activities! Love the sound of them and they are sure to put folks in the Christmas spirit. The boot drop sounds like fun- if it isn't as cold as last year. Thanks for sharing. I love looking at holiday lights. :)
~Jess

Wendy said...

Such a nice variety of events. I love light displays. There are 3 in our area: at Botanical Gardens, at Newport News City Park, and along the Boardwalk in Virginia Beach. The Beach one is beach themed -- Santa riding a dolphin, for example. It's a real novelty to drive on the Boardwalk. However, it's not the best display because there is too much light from the adjacent hotels and restaurants. I much prefer how beautiful the lights look in total darkness.

Veronica Lee said...

WOW! That must have been an enchanting experience! I'd love to visit the gingerbread village!
Thank you so much for sharing this, Betty.

Romance Reader said...

Wow! What a huge gingerbread village! Loved this virtual tour!

Nick Wilford said...

Nice to have so many events going on! Looks like you've done a lot. We took the kids to see Santa last night - always feel properly Christmassy after that!

Mildred said...

Wow! I have never seen such lovely Christmas photos. The gingerbread village is truly amazing! Thank you so much for sharing so much - nothing like all of that going on in our small town!

Merry Christmas!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I never get tired of Christmas decorations!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

A southwest Christmas would be fun to experience one year. I'd like to see the lit up cactus. We have a lights on parade every year, which the Husband and I like to see. We also like to go to the annual Christmas concert. My favorite part is the audience participation of singing Christmas carols. Merry Christmas!

Mevely317 said...

What stunning images, Betty! Being a 'simple' sort, I'm most drawn to the poinsettias and the cross. Perhaps next year I'll talk Tom into driving up and experiencing it up close and personal!

Lux G. said...

Wonderful display of lights. Merry Christmas indeed. :)

Blue Grumpster said...

Great pics, Betty. Now, that's what I call a boot.

Blogoratti said...

Wonderful pictures and decorations indeed. Greetings to you!

M Pax said...

What a wonderful tour! Those lights are amazing and mmm on the gingerbread village.

Thanks for the blitz, and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I cannot decide which display I liked best. I am drawn to that Gingerbread village though, for some reason. My favorite Christmas celebration is the Candlelight service on Christmas Eve. All the other stuff is fun but the Candlelight service goes right to the heart of what it is all about.

assholeswatchingmovies.com said...

I DO like the cactus!
I like the village too.

yaya said...

Such beautiful displays! I love the lights and sounds of Christmas and your town certainly knows how to celebrate! Our small town has a Christmas parade downtown on the Monday after Thanksgiving and also the Historical Society has home tours and sells fresh baked gingerbread cookies. Small business Saturday is also fun. The downtown is going through a revitalization and it's nice to see stores operating there again. We have new decorations that are really pretty at night. I might have to do a post about them! Have a very Merry Christmas Betty!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I like all the Christmas pictures.

We finally made it to Riverbanks Zoo (Columbia, SC) to see their light display, and it was gorgeous.