a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, November 30, 2015

Tomorrow

Tomorrow (12/2/2015) there will be a guest blogger here, Stephen Tremp.  He is currently doing a blog book tour of his recently released Salem's Daughters book.  He has written a fascinating article to share here called "Supernatural versus Paranormal."  I think you will find it interesting.

I met Stephen in the recent A/Z Challenge this past April; in fact I was part of his minion (helper) team for this past year's challenge.  

I offered to read Salem's Daughters and do a review of the book here on my blog.  I was going to include the review of the book with his guest post, but if I did, it would be a long entry to read, so I thought I would do the review today before his guest post tomorrow. 

The book was interesting.  It wasn't in my usual genre of books that I would read as it dealt with paranormal events.  The plot involved 13 accused witches from Salem back in the 1600s who is an effort not to be killed put themselves into cats bodies, figuring they had then 9 lives to live.  By the time the story really begins, they are on life 6 and it is now modern times.  A young couple trying to get ahead with things and trying to make money and find a way to start a family buy an old piece of property with plans to convert it into a bed and breakfast.  It is also the piece of property that has the 13 cats living on it in their new current life.  The couple are successful in their endeavors, but then murders start happening at the bed and breakfast and they are the chief suspects of having caused them.  

The plot culminates with the house being destroyed once again and the cats now having to wait until it is time for their 7 lives.   A lot of people are killed, including the husband of the young couple.  The couple do figure out it is the cats causing the havoc but can convince no one that it is them doing these evil deeds.  The book ends with a very interesting twist that I don't want to spoil here in case anyone reads it down the road.

The book wasn't something I would have normally picked up to read.  For me it was a bit violent, but then again it is outside of my normal genre to read.  Those interested in the paranormal and a little bit of a murder mystery would probably enjoy the book.  I would give it 4 out of 5 stars in rating it.

Do come back tomorrow to read Stephen's guest post.

Now just a bit of blog maintenance:

I'm participating in Liz's Random Pondering Christmas Blog Hop on December 14, 2015.  She is asking people to write about Christmas; anything about it; memories, traditions, etc. Sounds like a fun thing to do.  If you want to sign up, go here to do so.  I think you guys will enjoy my entry about Christmas :)



See you then!

26 comments:

Bijoux said...

Interesting premise for a book!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Betty - glad Stephen is still doing his tour. Salem's Daughters does sound a good mysterious tale - cheers Hilary

Pat Hatt said...

Have to watch out for cats, you really never know what they are up to lol

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love stories about old places being renovated and turned into bed and breakfasts with a bit of mystery added...but not so sure about the paranormal part. I do like the sounds of the Christmas blog hop and will be looking forward to your posts.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm looking forward to reading Stephen's book, it sounds fun and different. I'll check back for his article.

jack69 said...

Love the bench and the view today. Stephen is fortunate to have you review his book. YOu have a good way of being concise and to the point that is interesting.
I love Christmas time and as always, when you leave a hook, I bite and hold on until the prize it gained. So of course I am looking forward to your Christmas entry.

Love from Georgia (Headed for Florida!)

Chatty Crone said...

Good morning - just stopping by to say hello!

Jo said...

I wish Stephen all the best with his latest book. I do find his science articles fascinating. He knows a lot about what is going on up there in space.

Will check your Christmas article.

joeh said...

Where was the spoiler alert? I'm only half way through his book!

Intense Guy said...

That is a really intriguing premise for a story!

Hmm... Nine, a trinity of trinities, is a mystical number often invoked in religion and folklore.

Saleslady371 said...

Sounds like an interesting book; I like your review. Thanks for the link. I love to read Christmas posts and to think they are all in one area will be divine! You just may see me there too.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Looking forward to it!

Elizabeth said...

Betty, thank you so much for sharing my blog hop on your page! I look forward to reading your post December 14 :)

Stephen's book sounds quite interesting and different.

Stephen Tremp said...

Betty, thanks again for taking the time to read Salem's daughters and forgiving such an exceptional review. I love it when people go into such great detail. Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

Mevely317 said...

Color me 'hooked'! I'm not a cat person at all; and rarely follow the paranormal - but there's just 'something' about this premise I find intriguing!

Jerralea said...

How interesting! I never read about paranormal activity ... I'm too easily spooked. Remember, I'm the one who couldn't sleep after seeing the movie, "Ghostbusters!"

Blue Grumpster said...

4 out of 5 stars... Not bad at all!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Sounds like a fun blog exchange. Look forward to it.

Liz A. said...

Sounds like an interesting blog hop. I tend to forget about those things, though.

The book does sound like it's in my wheelhouse, so I might have to check it out.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for your review. Not my kind of book either. I'm all about romance novels if and when I read....LOL! See you tomorrow!

Veronica Lee said...

Sounds like an interesting book - totally my kind of genre.

Paula Kaye said...

Not my genre of book either. I love mysteries and thrillers however. But I am not at all into cats!! Good book review!

Jeff Bushman said...

Cat Scratch fever? I was lost at cats. Sorry. I to met Stephen this year on A to Z. I would read his book anyways as a fellow blog supporter even though I'm not a cat fan I do love lots of scary reading with death and dismemberment.

Kat said...

That does sound like an interesting book. Although, like you, it is a bit outside of what I normally read.
The blog hop sounds like fun. I may have to join in. I need things like that to get me back into the habit of writing. :)

Carol Noren Johnson said...

How cool to be a successful blogger, Betty! Some of my posts get a lot of views and comments, but not like you do. Mary Christmas!

DMS said...

Awesome that you two met through A-Z! Sounds like an interesting book for sure. Great to read your thoughts on it. Thanks for sharing!
~Jess