a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, October 26, 2015

small, simple, but still accomplished the purpose

So last time we spoke, I mentioned I would write about the best thing that happened the week when I was gone.  And what was the best thing that happened?

Son and his then fiance, now wife, got married.  On October 11th.  It will be a date that hopefully he won't forget because on that day, October 11, 2015, when he and his now wife said their vows, it was the 68th anniversary of when his grandparents (hubby's parents) got married, back in 1947.  And then on that date in 1980, his parents (me and hubby) got married.  Kind of a tradition perhaps?  We told them his parents made it to 64 years married before they passed and so far we have made it to 35 years, so perhaps it is a good firm date to get married. 

It was a small wedding. Their original plan was to get married on the one year anniversary of when they met back in August, but they didn't quite get it together, so they decided to get married in October.

It was planned rather quickly once they sat down and began to work on the details.  Only 17 people, counting the bride and groom, were present.  It was at a little wedding studio meant to hold only 10 people.  

It was filled with surprises.  Her best friend said she wouldn't be able to make it for the wedding (from California) but unbeknownst to my now daughter in law, behind the scenes son and her friend were planning to surprise her.  Son drove out to San Diego the day before the wedding to pick her and her boyfriend up (another friend would drive them back the evening after the wedding). She was upset with him for taking a trip to San Diego the day before the wedding (he said he was attending a meeting but actually picking up her friend). The look on her face (captured on Facebook) was worth it as she saw her friend, who did her makeup and hair for the wedding.

It was filled with a bit of drama. I'm not sure what happened and it was between her and her mom, but for some reason her mom didn't make it to the ceremony on time. It was slated to start at 2 p.m. (same time ours did 35 years prior).  Son was 10 minutes late, the bride to be 25 minutes late. The minister doing the wedding slated 45 minutes to an hour before they had to be off to their next wedding. Mother of the bride was not there close to 2:30 and they had to move forward with the wedding.  She showed up at the end; again I'm not sure why she wasn't there earlier, but it might have been because of the cake.


They were on a budget for the wedding.  Her mom decided to make the wedding cake.  It was her first attempt to do so (doesn't it look great? The picture doesn't justify how good it looked in person).  It tasted delicious too.

We hosted a dinner afterwards at a local restaurant.  Delicious food and great company.  Funny story about it.  We were placing our orders and our newly married daughter in law wasn't sure what to get so the waitress said she would come back to her.  Meanwhile, the waitress took all the orders, but forgot to take the bride's order.  Our daughter in law said "she forgot my order." I called the bus person over who was helping with drinks, etc., asking her to bring the waitress back to get the order.  Right then the waitress realized she forgot the order.  She shrieked "I forgot the bride's order" and immediately came over and said "that's it, I'm fired on the spot." (Of course she wasn't).  She otherwise did a great job and got a nice tip for her efforts.

Did I cry? You betcha you.  

Now son is a married man.  We are no longer his next of kin.  I'm a mother in law, soon to be a grandmother.  

I wish them love and happiness and a wonderful long life together.

And like I said before, it was definitely the highlight of our week........

Congrats son and daughter in law.  We love you both.

51 comments:

Bijoux said...

Wow, Betty! You kept that a secret! Congratulations!

I think I was at the church 4 hours before my daughter's wedding. Was she upset that she missed it?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is wonderful news. I can only imagine how happy you are. Lots of new experiences coming your way too. I wish them much happiness! My oldest son married on my wedding anniversary too. Nice tradition to follow for sure !

Jo said...

Delightful story. Funny about the waitress. Glad she wasn't fired. Lovely tradition to have your weddings on the same date.

Maria Zannini said...

What a great story! I especially like that they chose a date to continue the tradition.

Hubby asked me to choose the date when we got married. I chose 10-10. I thought it would make it easier to remember. It turned out to be lucky too. :)

Pat Hatt said...

Congrats to the newlyweds. Wow, that is quite the tradition all getting married on that date. Funny how things work out.

jack69 said...

Okay Betty, one of your best entries and that is saying something. Yep you did pull a tear out of the old man. SWEET. I love the date tradition, and most of all I love the small wedding, ours was. And yep, the cake is a knock out!
You will make a wonderful Mother In Law.
Loved the entry!!!!

Chatty Crone said...

I love that - and I think the wedding was wonderful and I think all weddings should be more like that!!!!!!!!!! I wish them happiness forever and many wonderful grands for you!

Chrys Fey said...

Yay! Congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law!!! :D Funny that the waitress forget the bride's order. At least everyone was upbeat about it.

Funny in My Mind said...

Congratulations Betty! Everything sounds like it went well and that cake does look yummy.

Linda said...

Nice tradition. Very sweet to drive that distance. Beautiful cake! Enjoy your new role! All the best to your son and bride.

Birgit said...

Did they plan to marry on The 11th knowing it was their grandparents and your wedding anniversary? Either way that is so cool that you all share the same date. It sounds like it was a lovely day no matter who was on time and what little mishaps happen. In the end, it is not a big deal as getting married to the one you love

Joanne Noragon said...

It sounds like one of the best of weddings, with a grand cake.

Saleslady371 said...

I wish them a blessed life together just like his parents and grandparents. Loved hearing about their wedding and wonderful cake. Looks beautiful. Your son sounds like one pleasing guy to go and get the best friend like that. Do you think they'll let you post a photo?

Danielle L Zecher said...

Aww, I love the shared anniversary date! And like you say, a good track record for that date. :-)

Congratulations to all!!! And belated Happy Anniversary to you!

Paula Kaye said...

That is the neatest tradition I have ever heard to all be married on the same day! It will always be a wonderful memory for all of you. I am so happy for you and them!! Congratulations to all. The cake does look beautiful!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

How wonderful! Congrats to all. My son had a small wedding this past summer and it was lovely. I managed not to cry during but a little later when I was alone I gave in. Sounds like you've set a great example of how to make it last for a long time.

Susan Says

Sharon said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! And really, Betty, what would a wedding be without a few *glitches*?? When my son got married, it was also a small affair, but it was so personal and meaningful. Sounds like that's just what happened for your family. Congratulations to all!!

GOD BLESS!

(Any pics coming of the people involved?!)

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, how wonderful! Congratulations to the newlyweds. I wish them many beautiful, happy years together. And I just love the shared wedding dates. That is so amazing.

Jerralea said...

Congrats to your son and daughter in law - Love the idea of shared wedding dates in your family!

susie said...

Small weddings are the best, and that cake looks really good.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am in awe of the tradition of getting married on that same date, I love it!
I thought it was cool when Mark and I got remarried on the same day. I joke to people that this way he wouldn't forget the date. I am so happy for them and I love the surprise of her girlfriend coming, how cool was that!!! Sorry there were issues between her mother and her. Hard to say because mother's and daughter's are notorious for having arguments. Cake does look lovely. Cute story on her meal too. So many first and I love them......

EcoCatLady said...

Awwww... how wonderful! 11-11 sounds like a perfect date for a wedding... I've always heard that 11:11 is a lucky time, and if you look at a digital clock and see that time you're supposed to make a wish and hold it in your mind until the time changes.

Anyhow, I think it's great that they did their wedding in such a low key manner. I've never understood the people who go into debt for a one-day ceremony... only to divorce a few years later! I guess I just think people would be better off if they put their energies into their marriages rather than their weddings!

EcoCatLady said...

Errrr wait... I guess October 11th is 10-11, not 11-11! Ha! Did I mention that numbers aren't my strong suit? Well anyhow... I'm sure that's lucky too especially since it's a family tradition! :-)

Robyn :) said...

Congratulations to your son and daughter in law!!!

Liz A. said...

Great story. Congrats to your son and daughter-in-law.

Mevely317 said...

How exciting, Betty! What, you say? All of it!
I'm totally flabbergasted that your son drove all the way to San Diego and back to surprise his wife.
You're right, that cake is stunning! But the best part is their being married on your and your in-law's anniversary. That's the neatest tradition I've ever heard of.

Wendy said...

Congrats to all the BenchViews! Every wedding, big or small, seems to have some kind of glitch, but they make marvelous stories to be told over and over.

Elizabeth said...

Wow it sounds like that wedding day was exciting! I'm sure your son and daughter-in-law will never forget it. It was so nice of him to pick up her friend :)

Lux G. said...

Oh, congrats!
Always good to hear your stories. I love surprises. :)

Intense Guy said...

I don't understand lateness for most things at all. I equate it with thoughtlessness and rudeness.

Oh well - their loss!

Best wishes for many years of happiness to the bride and groom!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Oh my gosh. I got chill bumps towards the end... when you said you were no longer his next of kin. I have never actually thought of it that way when mine got married. What a lovely time you had even with the drama! And yes! That cake looks to die for... You did save me a piece, right? ;-) Congratulations to all!

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Wow. Congratulations! I love the cake, and I bet it was delicious!!

So, my husband and I were married in October, the 15th, at 2 p.m. And it was a Sunday. We just celebrated 9 years. October is a great month in which to marry!

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats to the newlyweds! I love the shared wedding dates. What a lovely tradition!

Crystal Collier said...

So, so sweet! What a beautiful experience and what a lovely set of stories! Here's wishing your expanded family much success and a lifetime of happiness.

Linda said...

Congratulations to everyone. I know you will be a wonderful mother-in-love to your new daughter-in-love. Soon you will be able to hold one of the greatest blessings God gives us, a grandchild. The first time you hold the little one your heart will melt. I will hold the new couple in prayer. I love the story and the wedding cake.

diedre Knight said...

What a lovely tradition! Our daughter was married on the third. Seems like these occasions must have hiccups to make them all the more memorable :-)

DMS said...

I can see why this was the best part of your week! :) What a lovely tradition and it sounds like good luck to me to be married on 10/11. Sorry there was some drama, but it sounds like it all worked out and the cake looks lovely.

Congrats to all!
~Jess

Sunni said...

That's amazing about all the generations getting married on the same day. Very unusual. I'm glad everything worked out and everyone is happy. The cake is beautiful.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Kat said...

Oh how fun and wonderful!!!! Congratulations to your son and daughter in law and to you as well! And what a perfect date for them to pick to get married. I love that! So romantic!
I guess it didn't all go off without a hitch but it makes for a better story, doesn't it?
Wonderful news! :)

Blue Grumpster said...

Tears of joy! Right?

Sandy said...

Mother of the bride late to the wedding, wow...that's sad. But,sounds like 3 people were late so perhaps it's habitual? Very cool tradition of getting married on the same date. Interestingly enough, that date is my hubby's birthday!

Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

SweetMarie said...

Best wishes to you all!!! more family to love! the cake is beautiful! love the color of the roses on the bottom. :)
happy...happy...joy...joy!

Barb Pinion said...

Weddings are always so special, aren't they? And what Mom ever manages to not cry? Certainly not me. lol I wish the happy couple all the best in life. Love how so many of your family members married on the same date.

yaya said...

Congrats and best wishes to your son and his bride! I hope they have a wonderful life and as many years as his ancestors! It's good to have some drama at the wedding...makes for wonderful stories to tell the kiddos and grandkiddos!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Congratulations to all. I'm humming "Get Me to the Church on Time" or whatever it is called.

Veronica Lee said...

Thanks for the compliment, Betty! You said I look young - I think the snail slime is working! LOL!

Stephen Tremp said...

Betty, I'm sending thoughts of blessing to your son and his bride. And please check your email.

Hollie said...

Lots of memories created!! The cake is beautiful!! I bet it was good!! Congratulations to you all!!!

TBR/Committed Thoughts said...

Weddings always have to have a few hitches, don't they? Mine was going along just fine...it was a small one, probably around 50 or so in attendance, and in the middle of the ceremony, my dad, who was officiating, dropped the rings with a big "oops!"

That cake is pretty! Like you, I bet it was the cake that made her late. I hope your new DIL wasn't too upset...gosh, though, everyone was late. Were you freaking out a little?

I'm glad Son found a great partner in life, and is now arriving unscathed into adulthood. (My daughter may be arriving as well...she needs a partner, too.)

Linda Reynolds said...

Congratulations to all!!! and a grandbaby soon too... How exciting! :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Wow, what exciting news! Congratulations to all of you!