a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, July 6, 2015

and that is a wrap

I hope you all had a nice time this past weekend celebrating the 4th of July, however you chose to celebrate it.

We headed south to spend the weekend in Phoenix.  Funny, the majority of people were heading north to celebrate the weekend in Prescott.  Prescott is known for its 4th of July celebration and its rodeo, that occurs the week of the 4th of July.  Traffic was light heading south, heavy traveling north.

Our ultimate goal was a barbecue with son and his girlfriend, along with her mom, who we would be meeting for the first time, as well as her sister and cousin who is temporarily staying with her. We had met her sister and cousin before. 

But first we did a little sightseeing. We did a tour of the stadium where the Arizona Cardinals play their football games and where last year's Super Bowl was at.  It was a fascinating tour and I'll share more about it next April during A/Z because I semi have a theme in mind of places visited in Arizona for the theme.  Its a tour well taken if one is in the area.

Afterwards, we picked up some things for the barbecue and headed over to son's place.  His girlfriend had to work, but he was barbecuing and smoking ribs and other meat; she would be off work around 4:30 with plans to eat about 7 p.m.  Son and hubby had a good opportunity to do some father to son talking that needed to be done.  I talked with his girlfriend's cousin, which I enjoyed.  

The food was delicious and I'm sure there was no calories in any of it.  Isn't that the rule for holiday food (and church pot lucks?). No calories, right?? And as in the case of church pot lucks and family barbecues, there was way too much food. They'll be living off leftovers for a few days, which can be a good thing if the food is good, and the food was good.

The highlight of the evening.  Totally unexpected to her, a bit of a surprise for me (hubby was trying to tell me what was going to happen but couldn't go into too much detail as others were around), towards the end of our time together, son was next to his girlfriend who was standing up.  He got down on his knee and asked if she would marry him.  

She said yes.  

Small wedding probably next month on their one year anniversary of meeting.

Tears all around.  Again those happy tears.  

Of course they have our blessing. We truly do love her.  

We drove home today.  Again against the grain of traffic.  All heading south home, we were heading north home.  Got some thunderstorms with lightening, a bit of rain.  Cooler temps.  Very appreciated.

Got to give a shout out to Panera Bread. We were lazy, didn't want to cook anything. Thought about getting a salad from some place and eat it at home, sharing a bottle of wine.  Looked at Panera Bread's menu. You can order online.  You can tell them when you want to pick it up.  You pay for it online go to the restaurant and it is ready in a little cubicle designed for take out foods.  From start to finish of when we placed our order and drove to pick it up was about 10 minutes.  They got it right and it was delicious.  Too easy.  I see ourselves doing this more over the weeks ahead.

Any memorable memories from your 4th of July celebrations?

45 comments:

Eileen T said...

I'm in the UK, so no special celebrations here. I spent the morning playing out with the youth band, so a good start to the day. Then back home for a chat with friends and a quiet evening in.

Congratulations to your son and his girlfriend.

Mildred said...

Congrats to your son and girlfriend. Sounds like a very memorable weekend for you all. We had a quiet weekend at home. We've had a lot of rain and the temps are cooler.

Bijoux said...

Congratulations to your family! I wish them all the best! I didn't realize the 4th of July weekend was engagement time ;)

I hosted a big cookout at our house for 16 people and served paella.

Blogoratti said...

Great memories indeed. Congrats to you, and best wishes!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

What a wonderful weekend you had! Congratulations to your son and his girlfriend!

Jo said...

I miss the celebrations for the 4th now we are back in Canada although someone was letting off fireworks once again Leftovers from Canada Day or a stray American?

Congratulations to your son and his fiancée what a great way to celebrate.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful double celebration you had for the 4th! Here it was a quiet one for me. The fireworks in the neighborhood were about the only way I knew it was the 4th of July. The weather has been wonderful here and I had some great hours spent on the porch !

Joanne Noragon said...

Panera is our go to fast foot restaurant, too.
How nice, a baby and a wedding!

Intense Guy said...

Ah!! He popped the question!!

Huge smiles!

Sounds like a marvelous weekend with the traffic going the other way bonus!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm not done reading yet but the tears are falling down my face. What a sweet moment with your son and his fiance. Congratulations to the happy couple! Sounds like a perfect weekend.
Debby

jack69 said...

Ahhh how sweet. Great entry and good news.

light traffic? sometimes the road less traveled by, has benefits, huh? Good on the SON, and best to both (and y'all all)

Pat Hatt said...

Already got the a to z going, good way to be haha the cat approves of being far ahead. Congrats to your son and his girlfriend

Hollie said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!! Congratulations to your son and his future wife!!! I wish them a lifetime of happiness!!

Funny in My Mind said...

I hope this is the best plan for them and everything works out! Sounds like a great weekend! We went to the lake with Randy's sister and some friends and their kids and rode go carts (not me) and played mini golf and then had Mexican food and watched fireworks.

Maria Zannini said...

The celebrations continue since today is my favorite guy's birthday.

I'm glad your holiday was extra special.

Mevely317 said...

Wonderful news, Betty! The fact son's fiance' wasn't expecting a proposal makes it seem all the more delightful ... and isn't that neat he wanted to share that moment with you all?

I agree, the Cardinals stadium tour is definitely worth taking!
... and thanks for the tip about Panera Bread. We'll have to check them out!

netablogs said...

Congratulations on your son's engagement! So wonderful! No big 4th of July celebrations here in BC, but we had a great day with our kids over for brunch and then enjoying visiting in and around the pool for several hours. Just a regular Saturday in the summer! ;) (I wish!)

Saleslady371 said...

Hi, Betty:
How exciting! I loved every detail of your weekend party and wish your son and soon to be bride and awesome daughter-in-law lots of blessings! Me thinks you guys might be going to Phoenix a lot in the coming days! It sounds like your family is very special and dear. Thanks for sharing such great news with us.

I haven't been to Panera Bread for quite a while. I was visiting the kids in San Diego when Carrie got me a Pumpkin Struesel muffin which was out of this world. Perfection.

Have a wonderful day!
Mary

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Congrats to your son and his future wife. Sounds like a fun celebration. I love Panera Bread.
Susan Says

Wendy said...

A picnic - an engagement - AND you had time to think about the A to Z Challenge for 2016. That's crazy talk, Betty!

Liz A. said...

Sounds like it was a great day.

I ended up in the middle of crazy traffic. Just as a parade was ending. But that was more interesting than sitting at home, so it was a good day.

TARYTERRE said...

Family get togethers are always fun. How exciting that you got to be part of the proposal. Congrats to them both.

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Great news!! Congratulations all around!!

Paula Kaye said...

Oh how I wish we had a Panera Bread. I love their sandwiches. Congratulations on getting a new daughter-in-law! I am so glad that you love her! And soon a new grandchild. You are really making out in this department.

Sunni said...

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

My husband's in Oregon with his family because his dad passed away on the fourth, so it was just me this year. No barbeque. I made a big salad for dinner after I went with a girlfriend to a garage sale and a dog park with her dog. Then I tried again to get pics of the fireworks from my patio. I'm no good at this, but got about two decent ones out of the forty+ I took.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Chatty Crone said...

Wow what a wonderful surprise - congrats - you will be busy next month - I am so happy for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robyn :) said...

Congratulations to you and your family!!!!

Lux G. said...

Congrats to you and your family! That's good news. :)

Seriously Though said...

The very Best Wishes to you son and his fiance! How sweet. I don't know where the photo of the bench is taken, but that is such a beautiful place! I would so love to see that view. wonderful!

Chrys Fey said...

Congratulations to your son and his fiance!!! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. :)

yaya said...

Congrats to your son and his fiancé! Your 4th was way more fun than mine but the weather here was good and we did grill yummy ribs...I also mowed the yard and painted my deck...yep, yours was way more fun!

rmslil said...

Congrats to your son and to you expanding the family. Sounds like you had a great 4th.

Cindi said...

Yay! congrats to your son, he certainly knew how to bring the fireworks by 'POPPING' the question!!! lol

Danielle L Zecher said...

Congratulations to your son and his girlfriend!

Aren't barbeques, and the leftovers, great?!?

Linda said...

Goosebumps, what a sweet proposal, when family in town to enjoy it! I am so happy for your son!!! And you and hubby, also.

Nice going against the traffic jams. Okay 4th weekend, have had better ones. Looking forward to my nephew's bride-to-be shower this weekend, being held at my mom's (for convenience.)

Juli G said...

Congrats!!

Who doesn't love a good wedding? :)

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a lovely proposal :) I had a great weekend, we somehow managed to find the perfect spot to park and watch the fireworks, and then we slipped out ahead of most of the traffic leaving town!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! What a day it must have been! And then to top off your trip with Panera... love that place!

Stephanie Faris said...

Great tip about Panera! We have one close to us now. I'll have to try that. We sold our old grill before we moved with plans to buy a new one...still don't have one. I have a feeling we won't have one until grilling season is over!

Veronica Lee said...

Congratulations to your son and his girlfriend! Glad you had a great 4th.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

I just love how you write up your adventures. Excited for your son being engaged.

Sharon said...

More good news and celebration!!

A mighty "CONGRATS!" from California!

Oh Betty, I join you in the joy of this next phase in your life. It's going to be just grand!

xo

TBR/Committed Thoughts said...

Awwww..... Son did it up right, yes? Good for him and good for you! Glad these kids of ours are getting around to growing up!

My July 4th? Can't say for sure I even saw any fireworks...but I got to spend some quality time with family and it was great.

Kat said...

What a fantastic 4th of July! Congratulations to your son and his future wife. So exciting!!! :)

SweetMarie said...

congratulations to the happy couple and to you and hubby!!! I'm so happy for you all!!!