a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, June 12, 2015

the house

You guys might remember that I mentioned we were going to rent out the home we previously lived in before we moved here to Arizona. We were going to fix it up, get a home improvement loan to do so, rent it out and then eventually move back there upon retirement (when and if, LOL). 

That plan got a bit thwarted by the fact that to get a home improvement loan to fix up the house, one of the stipulations were that you couldn't rent it.  If the bank found out it was rented, they could call the loan and demand full payment then and there.  So there went that plan.

After much consideration, the best decision was to sell the house since we didn't want to leave it empty and we couldn't come up with the money to pay off the loan and then be able to rent it out.  


So this past week we went back to see the work that had been done. We had new windows put in, flooring, painting inside and out, lots of cosmetic work that it needed.  The guy who did the work did a fantastic job, along with the subcontractors who did the flooring and the painting.  I should have taken before pictures before we moved, but it was such a stressful time we didn't.  All the pictures I have that show before have Koda in them and I just couldn't post a picture of him.  Some of you might remember the shag carpeting that was there before.

We were pleasantly surprised at how it all came out.

This is right when you walk into the front door.  Bright and open.



Kitchen.  New flooring.  Counter top and cabinets the same, just spruced up a bit.  New dishwasher (stove was about 3 years old).



Back den area.  Wall to the left of the sliding glass window was where I had my computer area and work area.  



Master bedroom.  New mirror doors on the closet.  



Hubby's music room, actually the second of three bedrooms in the house.  Looks out to garage door that is opened.



Outdoor paint.  The before color was kind of gray.  I kind of liked that better, but the green works. You can see at the bottom of the picture what looks like dirt.  There between the two bedrooms (two windows representative) was a plantar box that was about 3-4 feet high and about 3-4 feet wide.  It was cement.  Problem was it wasn't sealed properly so when it rained, water would seep into the bedrooms.  We thought there would be mold in the walls, but there was not.  Contractor ripped out the whole plantar and assessed for mold or other damage. There was none.  There were 10,000 pounds of concrete and 6000 pounds of dirt there that was dug out (he knew for sure because when he hauled the stuff away to the dump, it had to be measured to assess charge for dumping).  He's going to pour cement in that dirt area.



Since son had known the house from when his grandparents lived there and had helped clear it out and lived there for 2 years, we felt it was fitting he come to see the house before it sold, so that's why he and his girlfriend came along with us (plus we had tons of fun spending time with them).

The house is officially on the market.  So much has changed since the last time we sold a house 9 years ago in Montana. Our realtor here said a lot of people look online first for a house so it is important to get quality pictures online for houses on the market.  They have a professional photographer who comes and takes the pictures with lighting, etc.  She also said that there are people who don't want to deal with realtors and will just purchase a house online without even seeing it in person (that would be hard, I would have to see it).

So this chapter is going to be closing really soon, but excited about the next chapter that will be opening as we'll be more than likely looking for a house here.......and as part of looking a house here......we might be opening up our hearts......to a corgi.............. 

45 comments:

joeh said...

The house looks nice, it should sell quickly.

I hope you get another corgi, a new dog will never replace Koda, but it sounds like you are ready.

Sue Elvis said...

Betty,

The house looks very attractive. I hope you find a buyer quickly.

Opening your hearts up to a corgi? That is so good to hear! I'll watch out for more news!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Betty - good luck with all the selling methods .. and hope that buyer comes soon. I'm on a blogging break til the Autumn .. but just checking in! Cheers and how lovely to see your son and girlfriend .. Hilary

Intense Guy said...

A beautiful house - hopefully soon to be a home for some one!

I bet it has been many years since it was so empty!

Jacquelineand.... said...

Hope it sells quickly so you can move on with the next chapter of your life... glad you got to share the time with your son and his girlfriend.

A new corgi friend? Oh how lovely that would be for you. Sending all the best!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is a nice house and i agree it shouldn't take long to sell. It will be wonderful for you to be in your own home and to have another corgi. Making new memories is a wonderful thing.

Jeff Bushman said...

It looks great! Good Luck!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

The house looks really nice --- move-in ready! Good luck with selling it.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Love the flooring! And the kitchen is still a nice one! Don't know what the market is like in that area, but would think you'd not have much trouble selling. Sounds like y'all are on the verge of starting a whole new chapter in your lives.

Jo said...

I don't quite understand, I would have thought it was rentable (new word) right now. I would certainly love it. That kitchen is to die for. If you saw the one in our apartment you would know why.

Until our last dog, I always got a new one the minute the previous pet died. Helped with the loss. Best of luck with a new home.

Bijoux said...

I don't understand the loan and rental issue either. The floors look great! It will be nice to sell the house while not living there!

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope selling a house you are not living in is not too stressful. All will be well and perhaps we'll have a new dog to love.

Cathy Kennedy said...

That's really interesting to know about the home improvement loan. We hope one day to move into a bigger place with some land, and then fix this place up to either rent or sell. The good news is its paid in full. The bad news is it needs a lot of work and it's next to impossible to do while living in it. There's just too much stuff to rearrange. *sigh* Oh well...the best of luck in the sell of your property. The economy is bad and unfortunately I see homes stay on the market a long time. Maybe it won't be that way for you guys. It's nice meeting you through the A2Z Road Trip. I don't think I met you during the April challenge. Anywho, have a good weekend!

<a href="http://curiousasacathy.com/2015/06/meet-my-grandparents-part-iv-flashbackfriday/“>Meet my grandparents part IV #FlashbackFriday</a>!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well the house looks amazing. What a great job they did and I hope it sells quickly for you. I have to say that I got tears in my eyes when you mentioned a Corgi :)
Debby

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, turned out great indeed. hopefully it will sell quick. Can't imagine buying a house without seeing it first though, as realtors can easily embellish on the ads haha a new pup too, awesome.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your house looks great. Buyers will be lining up. It's exciting to look at homes but it's a big project.

Susan Says

Birgit said...

This house looks good enough to rent because, to me, it looks great. I wonder what people want nowadays. I actually like the green and I don't think you will have a problem in selling. It's funny how one builds memories and it might be sad to see the home leave but it is also filled with hope because you can build new memories. I am smiling now thinking of you getting a new doggie.

Chatty Crone said...

Well it is gorgeous makes you feel like you want to move back. So you updated it - lol - I am going to send this to my hubs. It is pretty - good luck!

susie said...

Chatty beat me to it...do you want to move back if you could?

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall your 'before' shots, but this flooring looks wonderful!
A new corgi baby? That's pretty great. When we adopted Maci and Grace only 5 months after Caraleigh passed, I wasn't ready. (But of course, I credit them for practically saving Tom's life.) Anyway, there's not a day I don't think of Cara, but these girls have made their own, separate home in my heart.

lyndagrace said...

Good luck with the sale of the house. I bet you’ll have success shortly. How exciting to hear about a new pup!

Jerralea said...

The house looks wonderful. It ought to sell quickly!

Then you can go house hunting! I do like to look at properties online but I actually have to walk in a place and feel like it's home before I could buy.

SweetMarie said...

it looks clean and bright! I love those floors!! you two have big loving hearts so it's only right to share your love. :)
hugs!
Marie

Paula Kaye said...

Like he is he house. Wish I could buy it. Hope it sells fast at top dollar.

jack69 said...

The guys did a great job on the house. Looks good. I like the new flooring.
I did buy our last house from the net, and never again. It was okay, but not what I THOUGHT!
BEst of luck on the listing, It appears the housing market here is about to be booming again. I hope there also.

Liz A. said...

It's for the best. Then you can buy a better house for your retirement when that day comes, and you can choose the perfect place for it.

Saleslady371 said...

Beautiful remodeling job! I'm glad you had a fun trip and I pray the house sells and you get your price. When my daughter was married to a Navy man, she "shopped" on line too and found the perfect place. It's just The Way today!!!!! Turned out to be her dream home!

Linda said...

Ditto, looks fantastic! So bright and spotless. And you don't need to worry about cleaning up and leaving for each showing.

Mom's would be a fixer upper if she ever sells. Back after 2 1/2 weeks in hospital and transitional care after a fall, nothing broken thank goodness. I did some major cleaning while she was away.

You are definitely a dog lover!

TARYTERRE said...

Your contractor did a wonderful job. It looks fantastic. It should sell quickly. How exciting you might be getting a new house and maybe adding a new furry family member. Lots to anticipate.

Lux G. said...

It's very spacious and bright. Really like a home welcoming blessings and happiness in. Beautiful. Excited for you in this new journey.

Stephanie Faris said...

Looks great!!! We looked into renting our house but I heard horror stories about renters not paying. Not sure what the law is there but here, if someone just stops paying, you have to go through the courts to evict them. Even once the court finally agrees, you have to give 30 days' notice. Our neighbor said he rented houses until one time when it took six months to get someone out of one of his houses--and the guy trashed it before he left. People told me, "Oh, that doesn't happen as often as you think," but it just wasn't for me!

Our house went on the market yesterday, so we're right there with you! Yes, it's all online now. The city we used to live in has an active community Facebook page with 18,000 members. I posted the link there as soon as it went live, and I think half the people who have looked at it so far came straight from there.

Blue Grumpster said...

Water seeping into the bedroom... I know what that is like. I like your new flooring.

Blue

TBR/Committed Thoughts said...

I think the house will sell quickly; it looks very nice!! How does BIL feel about you selling the place?

A new puppy?! I can't wait!

(New chapters can be exciting...)

Rhonda Albom said...

It looks good. I hope it gets the price you want.

Eileen T said...

The house looks very bright and airy. Hope it manages to sell quickly. They announced this morning that UK housing prices are reaching a high point again. What's the housing market like where you are?

Chrys Fey said...

I love the wood flooring and the kitchen! Very nice. I'd live there if I could but I can't. I'm in Florida and just recently moved into a new house. :) Good luck with finding buyers!

Arlee Bird said...

The house looks great. My siblings and I are in the process of preparing my late mother's house for sale. Wish we didn't have to, but we can't afford to just let it sit, don't want to mess with renting, and none of us have stepped up to live in it.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Ruth said...

The house looks really nice. I hope it sells quickly.
You will be ready for another Corgi when that day gets here, it sounds like.

Kat said...

The house looks great! Just enough work to pretty it up and help it sell. :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

It looks great! And how nice not to be living there while it's on the market and trying to keep it spotless all the time. Hope it sells soon!

Sunni said...

The house looks nice. I love the floors. That was welcome news not to find miold in the wall. That would be terrible. I hope the house sells quickly but you never know these days. I'm one of those people who hate to deal with realtors, but I'd still have to see the house in person before buying it. Sometimes pictures miss things, even professional ones.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Susan Kane said...

The interior is so inviting! Any couple who buys this will feel very much at home.

Sandy said...

Hope all goes well, yes the on line thing is really the way to go. Several friends doing that as we speak. They have pages were they can like or not a house to dwindle how many to look at, seems very efficient use of time. But, I would have to see as well. Though here they do, just use on line as a preliminary thing.

Sandy's Space

Veronica Lee said...

Your house looks great! Good Luck, Betty!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I love the floor in the house. I wish ours still looked that good! :-)