a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I'm back

I am back.  We took a quick trip over to the San Diego area to take care of some business with the house we used to live in (which I'll detail in my next blog post later this week).

We left Thursday, came back Sunday evening.  Son and girlfriend came with us (more about that in the house blog post).  His girlfriend actually drove out on Wednesday and we met up with son on Thursday and he followed us or we followed him, depending on who was in the lead. I got to drive with him for a big part of the trip; good to have a chance to talk with him for a long period of time.

Of course one of the things we had to do when in San Diego was visit a favorite store of ours.   
 
 


and of course we bought some chocolate (which surprisingly we haven't eaten any yet)



In addition to taking care of stuff regarding the house, the other intent of the trip was to go to the San Diego Fair because hubby's brother was going to be performing there on one of the stages (I think there's about four or five small stages for different acts). 

Hadn't been to the fair since the kids were little, pre 9/11 days.  Days when they didn't check your purse or have you go through a metal detector.  I appreciate the safety though hubby had to throw away a pocket knife since they weren't allowed in to the fair (no weapons of any kind).  We could have gone back to the car and left it there but hubby didn't want to.  But interestingly Cutco sold knives at the fair......Not sure if you got to take the knife or if they mailed it to you if you bought one.

The fair was the fair. Typical displays of things and everything expensive.  Not sure how a family could do the fair unless they took out a small loan.


This is the sign for the entertainment on the stage hubby's brother was performing on . Its a bit blurred but maybe that's good for privacy :)


We enjoyed the time there seeing family and a few friends.  Ate too much but don't most people on vacation?

We rented a car for the trip.  Our cars are older and need a bit of work so we didn't want to put on that many miles on them or risk them breaking down.  Eventually we'll be buying a new car this year but in the meantime if we are going on long adventures, we rent a car.

We've been renting from Enterprise and have had great experiences with them. Usually hubby will get the full insurance they offer that if anything happens to the car we aren't liable.  This time we checked into our auto insurance policy and they would cover a rental car plus we have a credit card that as one of its rewards if you use it for renting a car and get into an accident, they'll cover what your auto insurance doesn't.  So we thought we were covered and didn't take the insurance offered by Enterprise.  We picked up the car Wednesday night, thought everything looked good on it.

And then Friday morning we saw this. 

Looked like someone had hit the left back bumper area when they pulled into a parking space.  We thought "oh great" the one time we don't take that insurance.  We knew we would have to pay the deductible for our auto insurance and might get it back.  Of course the deductible was more than the car insurance would have been through Enterprise.  We thought "okay, lesson learned, we will deal with it when we get home."

Turned in the car Sunday night when we got home.  Enterprise was closed, but we just dropped off the keys in their drop box.  Hubby called them this morning to report the damage to the car and to see what the next step was......

.......and then they told him "oh, we already knew about this damage."  It wasn't us. We weren't liable.  Usually they do a thorough walk around with the customer before you get the car. They did, but it was at the end of a long day for them.  They missed telling us this, we missed seeing it (perhaps the way the sun wasn't shining on it).  Whatever, it worked out.  We aren't responsible for it because it didn't happen during the time of our rental period.

However, lesson learned.  We are going to get their car insurance the next time.  Its worth the little bit daily to pay for that piece of mind.

Anyway, I'm back. I didn't read all the blogs you guys wrote during my absence, but tried to read as many as I could.

Probably Thursday night I'll do the blog post about the house.

38 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like a nice trip. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your son. Can't believe you still have chocolate left. Looks mighty good. Visiting the fair to see your hubby's brother perform must have been exciting. Thank goodness the damage to the car was not on your watch. count your blessings.

Sue Elvis said...

Betty,

I enjoyed hearing about your trip! It's been a long time since we last went to a fair. You're right: It's an expensive outing for families. Car trips are great times for chatting with children, and husbands too. We share a lot as we're driving along. Glad to hear you're not liable for the car damage!

Maria Zannini said...

Welcome back!

I'm so glad the car didn't end up as your responsibility. One less hassle.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Welcome back! Sounds like such a fun trip.

Bijoux said...

I've always read that you should take multiple pictures of your rental car before and after as proof of condition. Glad to hear Enterprise was honest and that you had a safe trip!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you had a good trip and are safely home again. What a scare you had with the rental. At least all ended well for you but yes, the insurance is a good thing. You were missed and it was good to see a comment from you again on my blogs. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday !

blogoratti said...

Must have been a great trip, welcome back. And yes getting that insurance would be worth it in the end. Best wishes!

Wendy said...

It is ironic about the knife. I didn't realize there was a pair of folding scissors in my makeup bag (part of some little kit that I threw in sometime in my past), but they were picked up in the Security check at the airport, so I had to surrender them. But there was a woman knitting -- I thought those knitting needles looked far more threatening than a one-inch blade.

Intense Guy said...

Welcome home!!

Goodness that business with the dent in the car had to twist your gut. I'm glad that had a happy ending!

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like a great trip, car scare aside. I'd always go for their insurance too, worth the extra for less hassle just in case crap happens.

Joanne Noragon said...

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Getting caught up with work and life when you get back is a bit of a pain.

Cindi said...

Yummy chocolate! We always buy the insurance, I would rather Enterprise deal with dents than our own insurance company. Murphy's law you know! lol

susie said...

Have you tried Ghirardelli (sp?) brownie mix? Do you say the G like job or gob? I say it like job, but I think I am wrong.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh what a fun trip - you had such a nice time. So you got to go back home and do some nice things and visit and got time with your son. We are thinking of renting a car for our future trips too because our cars are older - think we will get the insurance too.

Birgit said...

What is nice is that The people at Enterprise were honest even if all of you missed it. I am also just chuckling about having to throw out the pocket knife only to find that they sell them there. I bet you could just take it right with you. It sounds like you had a great time.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad your trip went well and I look forward to hearing about the house. How awesome that you went to the fair. Food is always a fun thing at the fair and even better when you get to see family! Glad that everything worked out with the car. Definitely a lesson learned. Debby

Stephanie Finnell said...

We live across the highway from our state fairgrounds and every year marriages break up right after the fair. I blame it on the amount of money spent wrecks havoc on domestic home life. You're certainly right about taking out a small loan to attend. WE go on $2 night. lol Benefits of being local residents :) Dropping by on the Road Trip.

SweetMarie said...

so glad you had time with your son! sounds like a fun trip! the chocolate store would be a must stop for myself as well. lol such good news that the car damage wasn't from your trip! our insurance covers rental car as well but, I've never thought about the deductible. it may be better to take their insurance offered. I'll have to check that out. glad you made it home safely! :)
looking forward to your next post!
Marie

Paula Kaye said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I always think the same thing about expenses: how can families afford this with their kids. But it never seems to keep them away. Our State Fair is located in our town and it is always packed with families and it is $10 a ticket just to get in. Don't understand! That must have been a huge relief to find that the damage to the car didn't take place while you had it. And a very honest company to tell you such!

Sharon said...

Sounds like a fun trip! And, I had to smile at the chance you had to spend some time with your son. I always like when that happens for me. Oldest (married) son and I go to hockey games sometimes, and the trip into LA and the evening is a great time for *bonding*. Youngest son and I often have wonderful visits when we gab about everything. It's so wonderful to be friends with your kid(s), isn't it?!

Great news about the car!! My sister and brother-in-law once rented a car while on vacation and opted not to get the insurance. And then, coming home late one night in Wyoming, ran into a deer. Ouch.

Can't wait to read the house blog post! And welcome back, Betty!!

Susan Kane said...

San Diego? San Diego/Del Mar Fair? I am so close to that; we live in the North County part of the county.

Did you try the deep fried butter?

Megan Whitson Lee said...

What a shame about the car! That's always been a fear of mine. I've never been to San Diego, but seeing the Ghirardelli chocolate factory made me pine for San Francisco…

Jennifer Hawes said...

What a beautiful day for a fair! I would love to visit out West. San Diego seems like a great place to visit (and the famous chocolate store!)

Jerralea said...

I'm impressed with your will power - eating those chocolates from Ghirardelli would have been one of the first things I would have done.

I'm always on pins and needles when we rent a car - our crew is prone to fender benders.

Glad you got a nice long visit with your son on your drive!

Mildred said...

Welcome back. Glad you had a good time with family/friends.

Funny in My Mind said...

I am so glad you got to get away and have a mini vacation. I buy that chocolate for the girls at work for special treats. We never go to the fair but I do love some fair food! So hubby's brother is a bit famous?

Liz A. said...

Sounds like a great trip. Chocolate shop... Hmmm... I do love the Orange County Fair. Try to go every year. That's in July.

Mevely317 said...

Oh!, I've not been to a State Fair in too many years. That's such a shame they're pricing everything out of lots of folks' budgets.

I never paused to consider the pros/cons of rental car insurance this way. Good to know!

PS - Methinks you'd better eat that chocolate before it goes bad (LOL!)

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds like a great trip. Must have been a relief about the car. How was your brother-in-law's concert?

Deniz Bevan said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Glad everything worked out with the car :-)

Linda said...

Glad you had a nice trip with family and fun things to do as you checked on the house. Hope everything goes well.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That fair looks like a lot of fun. Too bad the expense keeps some people from enjoying it.
I haven't rented a car in years but I would probably take the insurance too. You can't trust other drivers.

Chrys Fey said...

Good thing what damage was there before, even though you didn't notice it, so you didn't have to dish out money or suffer the consequences.

I'd love to go to the Ghirardelli Ice Cream and Chocolate shop. I'd pig out! :P

Secret Agent Woman said...

I like San Diego. The last time I was there, though, I was pregnant with my 18 year old!

Sunni said...

Sounds like a great trip. I love San Diego. I'm glad the rental car already had the damage and you weren't responsible, but I think I'd take that as a sign too and get the Enterprise insurance next time.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Faris said...

Ghirardelli! We had one here for a very brief time, but it closed. AWESOME sundaes. So sorry about the rental car but it sounds like it worked out for the best. My husband never gets the insurance and, sure enough, a rock hit his windshield on one of his trips. We had to pay the deductible, which is $400. However, if you never get the insurance and just set that money aside, you're covered for that $400 when it does happen someday. I think they call that self insurance?

Veronica Lee said...

Welcome back, Betty! Glad you had a good trip and are safely home again.

Kat said...

Well that sounds like a wonderful trip! And thank goodness the rental place was honest about the damage to the car. That worked out well! :)