A/Z - have you learned more about me?
There is a small zoo here in Prescott. They actually call it an animal sanctuary though it is listed here on the sign as Heritage Park Zoo. The majority of the animals there have been rescued from different unsafe conditions, like a fox from a pool, a bear that its mother had been accidentally shot, etc.
Its a small zoo, but tastefully done with the enclosures.
When we went, we were around the time of bear feeding so we stopped by and watched it. There were two bears that were fed (separate enclosures). One was an older bear, had been at the zoo for 21 years (its mother was the one shot). As he is aging and harder for him to move around, they keep his food in couple different areas so he knows where it is when they put it out for him and he goes right for it. The keeper said bears have a sweet tooth and that was true because that bear went straight for the grapes and ate them first. He also ate salmon, cod, carrots, dry dog food, cantaloupe, and avocado.
The second bear was another black bear but about 3 years old. Because he could easily get around his enclosure, they would stage his food at different places so he had to go and search for them. It was fun to watch him when he was allowed back into his enclosure (obviously he is put in a holding cell while the keepers are in the actual enclosure), he would lift his face and you could see him sniffing, figuring out where his food was. You could also tell that both bears were well aware of when it was feeding time by when the golf cart arrived at their enclosures and they did recognize the voices of the keepers bringing the food. The younger bear was a bit spirited and wouldn't go into his holding cell willingly when the keeper was trying to get him into it. The keeper "threatened" to leave if he didn't go and shortly after that, he did go into the cell.
The zoo also does special events through the year, Easter egg hunt, lights at the holiday, breakfast with animals.
Is there a zoo where you live?
(I can't believe the A/Z challenge is over! This month went by so fast! I'm not doing a reflections post next week, but here's my thoughts about the challenge:
1. Totally enjoyed being a helper this year. Thanks Stephen.
2. Totally enjoyed visiting new blogs and reading a variety of topics.
3. Felt a little overwhelmed with it all but that's only because of mandatory overtime at work (still on it).
4. Still had trouble commenting on some blogs, especially Google Plus ones. If it took me too long to figure out how to leave a comment, I would just move on.
5. Looking forward to it next year and I even think I have a theme already.
6. Now I'm going back to my regular blogging pattern of posting every 7-10 days, but reading blogs every day.
Thanks everyone; I had so much fun and I learned so much about you all as you answered my questions).