a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Sunday, January 11, 2015

boxes

 
 We had boxes there


We had boxes here (note, this doesn't represent all the boxes here, just one room of boxes)


In total, we had 70 boxes.  Contrast that to 68 boxes when we moved down from Montana to Southern California eight years ago.  That time we moved 6680 pounds of stuff, this time over 5000 pounds. So less weight, more boxes, but its all good.

I'm very grateful hubby had a generous moving allowance because all our moving expenses were paid for, so that was a relief.  I am grateful that we didn't have to pack up anything ourselves or move anything ourselves except the "survival kit" we brought prior to the movers bringing the rest of the stuff.

The moving company had up to 10 days to deliver our things.  They did it seven days after we moved, so it was good to have the survival kit.  Our survival kit included the bed (we did not want to sleep on the hard floor), clothes to get us through a week, basic kitchen supplies so we could cook some meals, a card table with 4 folding chairs, my computer and computer table, and hubby's 11 guitars. (Not that we needed the 11 guitars to survive, LOL, but he wanted to transport them rather than have them be in a moving truck stored some place for a few days or subject to extreme temperatures in the back of a moving truck for a few days).  We took my computer because we were going to have Internet hooked up and we wanted to make sure it would work okay with my computer.  I'm a bit paranoid to make sure I can connect to the Internet since it is part of my livelihood.

I'm not complaining, because I am grateful that we did get our stuff packed up, but in retrospect we would have done things differently if we knew they would have packed our stuff the way they packed it.

We went with United Van Lines because it was the one that was contracted by hubby's company, which was fine with me. United had moved us from Santa Fe to Montana and Montana to Southern California.  Our packers and movers for this move were professional, kind, courteous, friendly.

I knew from previous moves when we had packers, that they just basically pack. You tell them "everything goes" and by golly, everything will go. Trash has been known to be packed by packers (not in our case, LOL). We stored things we were taking in one of the bedrooms of our previous house and told them nothing in that room was going to be packed so they left that room alone.

Packers pack unemotionally. While I would be emotionally putting this and that together in packing, they just PACK.  They do it well and quickly and they sure enjoy using lots of paper as they pack.  I might put together things that make sense to me while packing, like kitchenware I use a lot, but they have no sense of that as it applies to me, they just group together things as they have been taught and what goes well together.

So we are sorting through boxes for things we need and are missing cords and the power supply to our printer, had a few broken glasses, our washing machine wasn't properly encased, causing some pipes to break on it, causing leaks when it was hooked up, and a few other "minor" inconveniences.  We can report all these as damage and probably will down the road.  Still I'm grateful we didn't have to actually pack and move what we did.  Just wasn't the best experience I've had like previous times with United.  But times change and it was eight and a half years since I had used them before.  Would I still recommend them?  Yeah, I think I would.  They did deliver when they said they would. They were professional and did the job. My complaints are minor and fixable.  So all in all, it was a good experience. 

Now back to sorting through the boxes........

(Thank you all for your kind words on my last post, I truly appreciated each and everyone of them)

35 comments:

Paula Kaye said...

Oh my goodness. It has been more than 25 years since I have moved. And I just can't imagine what you are going through. Good luck with getting un-packed and settled.

Bijoux said...

I would be pretty upset about the washer not being handled properly. They are a big moving company and should know how to move a washer.

We have always moved ourselves, but we've never done a cross country move either!

Back Porch Writer said...

Glad things are done and over with. I would have been worried about internet too. lol and my Hubby would have taken his guitars with us too. We have always moved ourselves but it's never been too far away. I have heard the costs add up when you realize how many boxes there are to move. And the weight and such. Good luck with unpacking.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have moved several times and that last time we did use professional movers, but I always did my own packing. I'm not so sure I'd like someone else doing it. Glad you can now begin the unpacking. Getting it all sorted the way you want in your new home.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a job. I'm so glad you are so much younger than I :-)

Pat Hatt said...

Well at least it went pretty smoothly. Something always seems to break when we move. I think I'd have to pack myself and then let them move it. 70 boxes, the cat would have a field day haha

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you have that part behind you and that you can say it was a pretty good experience. Happy unpacking.

Linda said...

We helped 4 families move last year, living in limbo until things are back in order. Enjoy, you're in control again, at least that's how I'd be feeling after the packers.

I hope you have a music room!

susie said...

Our last move was local, I packed and hired Two Men and a Truck. I'm not sure if they're everywhere, but they did a good job.

Intense Guy said...

Hey! I could use some of those boxes!!! :)

Sounds like most of the stuff survived the trip well - You will be unpacking for a while!

Cindi said...

I love to move, we have done it very often. packing & unpacking ugh! It's like laundry to me. I would rather but a load in the washer/dryer, than to fold & put away. Enjoy yourself on the search/discovery mission. 'wishing' you the best. Im excited to hear the new stories AZ will bring.

TARYTERRE said...

Moving always has it's share of ups and downs. if you report the damage they should compensate for it. Boxes are always fun to unpack, putting things in new places. It's nice to settle in and make yourself at home, at long last.

Birgit said...

It has been 16 years since I moved! I shudder at all the stuff I have. I am glad you had a relatively easy move and hope you can find everything. I usually look for the can opener myself:)

netablogs said...

We've never used a moving company.. always UHaul. I'm glad you didn't have to do it that way! Hope the unpacking goes well!

Sharon said...

Our last move was a doozy! I had lived in the same place for 29 years. And I am a packrat. We did the move ourselves - for we only moved 2 1/2 hours away. It took forever to pack up - and my hubby made 6 UHaul trips (and multiple car trips). I hope to never have to go through that again!!

Glad to hear that all has arrived. And good luck with unpacking boxes. Do you know that I still have some I have not yet unpacked??? (I did say I was a packrat, right?!)

XO

Juli G said...

I never want to move again. I know someday that it will happen, but I'm choosing not to think about it.

yaya said...

I was mentally going through my house while reading your post, imagining how many boxes....and trucks(!) that would be needed..ha! I better stay put or get purging! Good luck with the unpacking!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

It is so exciting and stressful to move. I hope to move soon, but will be packing with the help of a friend and my brother. First I have to sell my house.

What do they do with the boxes? If you throw them away, I wish I could get some, but I am in Florida and you are in Arizona.

Best to you and your husband with this new city and with his new job, Glad that the instruments are safe.

Hugs,
Carol

Nel said...

I have moved several times but usually on our own. My hubby used a moving company when he moved here and I think he was pretty satisfied with them. I hope I do not have to move again for many years!
until next time...nel

Stephanie Faris said...

The last two times I moved, I used a company to load and unload the boxes and it was such a relief from my 20s, when we always did all that work ourselves. It was surprisingly not so expensive, too. But I've never had them pack things up. That sounds like it would be SO nice! But you still have to do the unpacking, which is a pain.

Danielle L Zecher said...

It's amazing how much stuff we all end up with. I think I'd be pretty upset about the washer. I've never used a moving company. My sister used 2 Men & A Truck about two years ago, and it was not a good experience at all.

Good luck with all of your unpacking.

Mevely317 said...

Gosh, but yours sounds like a Master Plan well executed!
When I moved to Arizona from Florida, I made a huge mistake by hiring some indy fly-by-night outfit, who asked (and received) lots of money up front - then kept changing the rules as we went along. Until DH stepped in, I was almost resigned to never seeing my stuff again.

I never thought about being an 'emotional packer' before, but that's a good point!

Hope you're enjoying turning your new house into a home!

Chatty Crone said...

Well you did it - gee 70 boxes doesn't seem all that much - I must not know what it is like to move! Seems like a lot of work - but you made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you.

Liz A. said...

I've never had someone do the packing for me. Seems like it would be easier, but I can see how things could go wrong.

Stew Adams said...

Well, I hope that Arizona is good to you. I've had some experience with movers in the past not being emotional at all. Had some antiques from my great grandparents not make it in the move. I've since learned to only keep the essentials in life. I have very few things at all. Now, my husband is a different story.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

WOW - that's A LOT of boxes!! I am doing an international move in May...so we will see how that goes LOL

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Looking at all those boxes makes me so excited to move! I can't wait until the day when our place looks like that! I hope you're really happy in your new place!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love the bench with a view and the snow! You know I've heard that about packers, that they have even packed ashtray's with cigarettes!! I'm so sorry to hear about the things that broke and how they packed mindlessly. Will they cover the washing machine repair? Take care....Debby

Jerralea said...

70 boxes! I feel sorry for you. I love moving but hate unpacking. Good opportunity to de-clutter though ...

I'm hoping you get settled and love your new digs!

Hollie said...

Hope you get things setup and organized soon.

Veronica Lee said...

Our one and only move so far was 18 years ago before the kids came along and we had professional movers paid by Hubby's company. I dread to think of moving now that there are 4 of us, a guinea pig and with no professional movers to do the job.

Love your new header, Betty.

Mary said...

It's so much nicer to move when you have someone doing it for you! We moved ourselves from SC to Tn., but we ended up selling most of our furniture (except what my dad made) & buying new once we moved in our house here. It's got to be a little frustrating with the damages you're dealing with!

Kat said...

I have never used a moving company. We always recruited a bunch of friends and family. But it sounds wonderful. Especially when the cost is covered by someone else! ;)
Glad all of your stuff arrived and nothing too dear was harmed. I hope you get reimbursed for that washer though.
Happy unpacking!

Stephen Tremp said...

I look at moving as a time to declutter and get rid of stuff that accumulates over time. Have fun unpacking the boxes and enjoy your new place!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I hate moving. But I have to admit, in spite of the lost cords and such. I envy you having had movers do the heavy work. I've always moved myself.