a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Which brew will I choose


I've been working on trying to use up our perishable food and opened food before our move. The moving company will move nonperishable food that is unopened (but will move spices that are opened, don't quite get that), so I've been going through the cupboards and the fridge and freezer and making meals around what we have to use up.

I did realize we had four coffees opened so I'm trying to use those up.  I've been having fun putting different combinations together, especially since I don't want just a pot of decaf (I do have to be awake to work LOL).  My favorite combination so far has been 2 scoops of French Vanilla, 1 French Roast, 1 Dark Roast, and 1 decaf.  I mainly just put one of decaf in every pot of coffee to make sure it gets used up.  So far my efforts are working; I have managed to use up the French Roast and the others are way on their way to be empty by the end of the month when we move.  If we should happen to run out of coffee before the move, we'll use K-cups.  We've been stock piling those when the local store does their $5 Fridays where you can get a box of 12 K-cups for $5. That's more reasonable to me than the $9.99 or more you might pay for 12 K-cups. (I sure like the convenience of it though).

We found a rental house in Prescott. Got approved and now have to send the deposit, the pet deposit, prorated 1st month's rent, etc. In the process of calling the utility companies to set up service.  Silly us, we never transferred the utilities here out of hubby's dad's name into our name but faithfully month after month year after year (4 years in January) have been paying the bills.  All of them are on Ebills and I pay them online through our checking account.  Called the gas and electric company yesterday to see if I could get a reference letter so we wouldn't have to put a deposit down for utilities in Prescott and was informed since the account was not in our name, we had to transfer it to our name and then it would be considered new service so they couldn't give us a reference letter, despite the fact we had been paying it for four years. I get it and I know it was our fault for not changing it over soon, but its interesting they took the money monthly not caring who it came from but now aren't willing to work with us that we had paid the bill.  Lesson learned.  Thankfully so far the electric company in Prescott doesn't need a deposit, they ran our credit and saw it was excellent (that was her words, not mine, but I know we have good credit). We'll see tomorrow when I call the gas company and the water company there if we will need to put deposits down or not.  I'm wise now; putting the utilities in both my name and hubby's and we are also changing over the other utilities here in our names too. 

Probably will move the week between Christmas and New Year's. 

Its weird the difference between there and here.  There in Prescott you pay tax on your rental house, on the rent monthly.  It is a 2% tax added on to the rent.  We never paid tax like that before unless there was a tax assigned here and it just got included in the rent and we didn't realize it was a tax. Now there's two amounts, rent plus rent with the 2% tax.

However, a dog license there is $6 a year, $30 here for 3 years. Driver's license there is $25 and it doesn't expire until you are 65 years old. You just have to go every 12 years to get a new picture and a vision test (this is for the state of Arizona). Driver's licenses here are $31 and last for 4 years. 

I'm sure we'll find a lot of other differences in the months ahead. Looking forward to it.



29 comments:

joeh said...

going to be an extra busy holiday.

TARYTERRE said...

It really will be a NEW year for you and your husband. Sounds like everything is moving forward nicely. A shame about the gas and electric company.

Bijoux said...

It is interesting on the differences per state. A friend of mine is moving to AZ and has been house hunting. She said the property taxes are less than half of what we pay here, so I wonder how they fund their schools? I have never heard of property tax on a rental, but I guess like you said, most just add it in on the price you pay? This way, you can claim it on your taxes?

Stephanie Faris said...

What? I didn't know moving companies had that rule! It's been a while since I've moved, admittedly. I think I always just loaded the food into a box and took it separately. It's always such a big mess...but you get to enjoy a new home when you're finished!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am very partial to French Vanilla flavored coffee. I do have some others around here that really should be thrown out as they are old. Your move is getting very close now. Glad you found a place to move to. What a Christmas for you !

lyndagrace said...

Congratulations on your news. I am just catching up.

Oh my, with all of your creative coffee combinations you could probably get a part time job as a barista.

Good luck with the move.

Veronica Lee said...

I am so excited for you! Every move always brings new adventures and discoveries.

Happy Thursday, sweet lady!

Cindi said...

Prescott looks like a cute little town...enjoy the new adventure! Merry Christmas. Give Koda a scratch on his ears for me.

Joanne Noragon said...

You are quite organized; all will go well.
Your utilities remind me of wresting back my phone number when I divorced, in the dark ages. It was my first phone number when I got my first job. When I married I changed the name on the billing. That number followed me around through four or five moves, through several counties. When I divorced in 1973 I realized the bill had my husband's name only, so I called the phone company to fix that. I had to get a letter from him relinquishing the number to get it back.

Linda said...

Wonderful you've found a home already. It's all coming back to me, so many details to take care of, not to mention differences between states! Last time we moved, less than a mile, getting his office and my darkroom set up were the priorities. Best wishes on your big move and all your new experiences. Happy trails and God Bless.

Pat Hatt said...

You are sure going to be busy indeed. All the things needed to get switched over is a pain in the arse, but it happens in no time once the ball is rolling. Have to pay tax on rent though? That is the first I've ever heard of that. Seems they'll tax anything.

jack69 said...

Moving gets more challenging as time goes on I guess. The utility drama is today not yesteryear. We really have become a number instead of a 'CUSTOMER' and taht is sad.
The 2% tax is a shocker, not the amt jut the fact of rental tax, I never heard of it.
Like the coffee idea, nice to make a game as you wait.

Birgit said...

I would hate it to have to move between Christmas and New years but it seems like you have things in order. My friend calls decaffeinated coffee, decapitated coffee:) I have seen where people have moved, been in their new place for 6 months and they get a bill from their old residence for the time they were already gone! They had informed the phone co. or hydro etc... that they moved but someone there dropped the ball. They had a heck of a time to prove they no longer lived there despite all the proof! It is so cheap for the licenses there-in Ontario we have to pay $80 per year for our driver's license and $25year for a dog license. When we get out picture taken it is double the price! Good luck with packing and the move!!

SweetMarie said...

I went through the same process while preparing to move. I mixed Wal-mart coffee with Folgers and it was yummy. Now I'm back to just Folgers, yum!
The taxes in NC are different than FL, but thankfully there is no tax on rental homes.
Funny how things work out. :) So happy for you all!
hugs,
Marie

Liz A. said...

So much to do on a move. Good luck. (And as for the time of year... yikes...)

Sharon said...

There is so much to do when moving. I remember those days from 2 years ago. Utilities were crazy, not to mention all the many places we had to make sure had our new information.

Funny story, we thought we had transferred our alarm company account. Thought we'd been paying it automatically for the last two years. When we moved, we called them to make sure everything was fine - and we were told that yes it was. Even checked for a couple of months after moving to make sure the money was being taken out. Well, turns out that they had totally messed up. We actually paid on the old house for about 4 months until the contract ran out. And our new house, though the alarm was working, was actually never connected to their service. Hindsight!!

So, hoping that all will work out seamlessly for you!

Prescott is beautiful! And, it's very interesting to me to hear about all the differences. I'll wonder what the difference is in marketing and gas prices. And taxes???

XO

susie said...

That's annoying about the utilities. It's your name on the check. Can't they bend the rules and write a letter?

Funny about the coffee. Just today I switched to half decaf and I am waiting for the headache to kick in. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

Well you sure do have one great attitude. And you are working all at the same time. You sound pretty peaceful about it. I think that is great. I hope you have a great new adventure. sandie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Adam and Tristen are doing that too, using up their supplies. That is a good deal on the K-cups. That's crazy about the utilities but they have their rules they need to follow. I think Adam and Tristen leave on the 27th and their first stop is going to be Prescott! I remember that about the Arizona drivers licenses. People would show their license at Hallmark to write a check and I couldn't believe the expiration dates. I'm very excited for you. Change can be good.

Mevely317 said...

This is SO exciting, Betty!!! I, too, love your attitude. (Mine's been in the toilet today due to computer issues.)

I'd no idea Arizona charges tax on rental housing. I hope you'll love it here!

PS - For some reason, your formula for mixing coffee grounds reminds me of those olden soda machines - where the cup would drop down and one had to choose what button to push for the flavor. We'd try and push all 4 or 5 buttons at the same time! Sounds revolting, now, doesn't it?!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Sounds like you have checked things out well. Glad you have a moving company.

Secret Agent Woman said...

There's nothing like moving to make you re-evaluate your belongings, including the food!

Intense Guy said...

If there is a way to sneak in a "hidden" tax, the politicians have found it. The only hope one has is to find a place where the total paid is lower (and hope it doesn't go up too quickly - but it's going up)

I like how you blend your coffee! The Koda French Mix sounds delicious!

Grammy Staffy said...

I am so far behind that I did not know you were moving. I bet you will miss your bench with a view but I've heard Prescott is a nice place to live.
Thanks for your comment and support. Merry Christmad....and best wishes with your move. Hugs, Lura

Jerralea said...

I've never rented and I didn't know you had to pay tax on your rent! Wow!

I wonder if your license plate fees will be different, too. I've lived in three different states and the prices were vastly different.

All in all, I always find moving exciting. You never know what you are going to find, and I just choose to believe it's going to be good!

Kat said...

The first thing I thought of when you said that you had to use up all your perishables was "oh no! all those spices!". I'm so glad those can be opened. That would be expensive to replace. Spices and herbs are expensive these days.
Goodness, I think you'll have a very busy holiday, huh? All very exciting though.
:)

Hollie said...

Lots going on around your place!!! I know you will be glad to be settled at your new place!! Merry Christmas!!

Megan Whitson Lee said...

You are not the last to see the movie...I haven't seen it either. I really, really mean to see it this Christmas, though. It's a pre-new-year resolution.

DMS said...

I have done the mix of different coffees before and it has worked out well. I did this when I bought a brand of coffee I didn't love, but I didn't want to waste it. :)
~Jess