a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, November 22, 2014

13


A lot of you, my faithful followers of my blog, have been with me at least for the last four years and weathered our somewhat disastrous move close to four years ago.  You knew how I did not want to move and all the problems associated with it.  It was an honorable thing to do for hubby to quit his job and move closer to his parents to help out in what would turn out to be their final year of their lives.  I went along with it, but my heart was never with the move and I have to say the first year at least was hard with things slowly but surely improving over time.

One thing that hubby could never establish was a steady base of guitar students to teach.  He needed a certain amount to make the money he needed to help cover expenses that my salary would not.  Although we didn't have a mortgage or rent, we of course had the other expenses of living, utilities, food, internet (necessity for my work), etc.  It wasn't that he wasn't a good teacher because he was, it was just the economy.  First thing when money gets tight are disposable things to go like music lessons, etc. 

Very soon after hubby realized the teaching was not going to accomplish what he needed money wise, he started looking for a job back in the field he had left.  He diligently searched for a job high and low literally. He signed up for lots of different job search sites, shifted through hundreds (literally) of emails daily from such sites and applied for pretty much everything and anything that would remotely be part of his former career.  In the almost four years he had done so, he sent in a multitude of applications and got a handful of responses and barely went on five interviews if I'm counting correctly. 

We weren't even picky where the job might be.  Our preference would be this area because of family and the gorgeous weather,  but we were realistic.  There were parts of the country that for various reasons we didn't want, but lets just say we were open to at least 40 of the 50 states.

We thought perhaps it was his age that was hindering his getting hired because he had tons of experience and glowing references.

I kept praying but I really wasn't sure he would ever work in his field again.  I knew God would meet our needs as he had so faithfully done over the years, but I wasn't sure how it would happen and we were even thinking of hubby taking early retirement next year when he would be eligible to do so.

Then, out of the blue, but that's how God seems to work; when things seem like they are hopeless or impossible, etc., something opened up.  A job he had applied for back in August.  Hadn't heard anything since then.  Pretty much had written it off.

Got a call for an interview.  They wanted him to come out by a certain date.  I had so happened arranged for that day off of work even before the call had come and the interview got arranged for that day so I could accompany hubby.  And that's where we went for our whirlwind car trip last weekend. 

While he interviewed, I drove around the town. (Thank God for GPS is all I can say).  I really enjoyed what I saw.

Hubby came away from the interview saying they really liked him.  But he had other interviews where they really liked him and then he never heard from them again. 

He was one of three interviewed. There was one before him, he in the middle, and the final one this past Monday.  Tuesday morning around 8:15 our time, his cell phone rang.  He didn't recognize the number and we were getting ready to shoot Koda (insulin shot) so he let it go to voice mail. 

When he picked up the call a bit later, it was from the facility he had interviewed with.

He called back.......

and you know what I'm about to say.....

yes.....

he got offered the job......

not only did he get offered the job, but it was more of a salary than his previous job he had quit four years ago.....

substantially more.......

He told them he would talk it over with me, but he was pretty sure he would accept the job and would call them the next day.

Long story short, of course he called them the next day and accepted the job.

We are moving.  Yes, 13 moves in 26 years, but I guess that's how we roll.

Where you may ask?

Prescott, Arizona.  Its a city of over 40,000 at 5300 feet altitude.  It gets the changes of the season more than we do here in the San Diego area and gets some snow.  Cooler weather (I have to admit I will miss the 80 degrees in December days.....)

But hubby will soon be gainfully employed again (thank you Lord).

His first day is the first week of January 2015.

We get a generous moving allowance so more than likely we won't even have to pack ourselves but can have the moving company pack for us and move us (for that I'm grateful).

We are still in the planning stages of things but this I know:

1.  We will rent there.
2.  We will fix up the house here and rent it out through a property management company.
3.  Koda will go with us.
4.  We are in the same state where son lives, much closer to him than we are now.
5.  I will continue working where I'm working now. I can work anywhere as long as I have Internet.

I'm really excited about this move.  I think it will be a good one in so many ways.

I'm grateful to God for answered prayer in his timing.  I've learned a lot over these four years. 

I look forward to sharing our new adventures with you all.

My new blog header picture is from right in front of the courthouse there in Prescott.  Those are Arizona flags lined up.  I thought the bench would enjoy that view as we prepare for our move in the month ahead.

54 comments:

Bijoux said...

What fabulous news, Betty! I am so happy for you! You will be close to what I consider the most beautiful town in America...Sedona!

What a great lesson in patience and waiting on The Lord. He is good.

TARYTERRE said...

This is wonderful news. You are fortunate, indeed. I pray you have a safe move. It will be great to settle into a new place and move forward with your lives.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats to your hubby on the new job! How wonderful too and appropriate that you still have a bench with a view only quite a different one for sure. Life is full of surprises! Sounds like a major change in you life moving so far away from where you live now. I've moved before, but never the distances you have. Hope all goes well for you and your hubby.

Paula Kaye said...

Oh Betty I am so happy for you and hubby!! How stressful these last four years must have been for both of you. I will look forward to hearing all about Prescott, Arizona. Wishing you a successful move! My prayers go with you

yaya said...

I'm so happy for you and your family! I know you'll love it and I love how the Lord answers prayer..not on our time line, His, because He knows and loves us and will do the best for us...enjoy this move and your new area. I'll look forward to the view!

Joanne Noragon said...

This is such good news. Interesting, isn't it, how things fall into place, and the lift when we least expect it.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanie said...

Such good news, Betty! It sounds like you have a lot of work in front of you, followed by a lot of new adventures. I look forward to hearing about it all.

Pat Hatt said...

Congrats on him getting a new job and a good paying one at that. Moves go much much easier when you don't have to do it. Yuck to the snow though, but don't think it will be a lot. Enjoy the new adventures to come.

susie said...

So happy for you! That was a great post.

jack69 said...

Wow, WOW! Visiting you, one is always blessed. You are a FRIEND. Always helping and encouraging others. SOOO not only is this a good one, but even about YOU, well as we say down south, About Y'all.
I bet Koda can even feel the electricity in the air.
This makes us all SMILE. the one who blesses is BLESSED! Good stuff.

jack69 said...

Al that moving, one would think you guys were military. One thing about it, we that move, know how to move.
But a "Moving Allowance" is wonderful. We had a couple of those, much less stressful.
Sorry to waste so much 'PAPER'.

The Brown Recluse said...

Now why did I tear up over this news? Ah, yes. God is good and faithful, that's why.

Congrats to Hubby, and yayyy for you!

Melanie said...

Wonderful news! I'm so happy for you, Betty! God is faithful.

joeh said...

Good news indeed!

If you ever transfer to NJ, sign me up for guitar lessons, I am taking it up again...If i could just toughen up my finger tips more so I could practice longer.

Veronica Lee said...

Congrats to your hubby! I am so happy for you both! Yayyyy!

Mary said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you all! God bless your entire family. Isn't it how things always work out? My daughter finished her master's degree over a year ago, and hadn't been having any luck at all. She'd been working the same 3 part time jobs she'd worked, throughout her post grad studies, applying for jobs, constantly rewriting her resume and cover letters... she'd got to feeling very down. She ended up getting hired for a full time job in her field, and started last month. She's so grateful. I've been praying every day she'd get a good job, and am so grateful to God for this.

Stew Adams said...

Caring for parents can be one of the most difficult things ever and often requires years of service. But everyone I know that has done it, myself included, has come out the other side much better off. The rewards are endless and there is never regret.
Congratulations on the new life in Arizona!

Deanna said...

I'm so very happy for you!

Funny in My Mind said...

Super exciting! I am so happy for you guys! Hope it all goes smoothly.

Linda said...

Betty, I'm sure I would have had similar struggles, too. Wonderful news! As excited as your are, hubby must be thrilled. Best wishes with your new home.

Looking forward to all new benches and Koda's walks!

Thy will be done.

Jerralea said...

Awesome! Isn't it funny how it seems like God always waits till the last minute? But really He is right on time. Every time.

I'm so excited for you. Moving can be such an adventure!

Robyn :) said...

Congratulations!!!!!!

Mevely317 said...

I was just thinking of y'all this morning!
... Doing a crazy 'happy dance' over here, Betty. :)))
I'm guessing your son will be happy having you two and Koda near(er), as well?

If there's ANYthing we can do on this end to lighten your load, please let me know?

Mevely317 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan Whitson Lee said...

Congratulations!!!im so happy for both of you!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

YAY!!! Congrats to your husband and to you. I've always wanted to live out West. If you ever get tired of that area of the country, though, come on over to Nashville. PLENTY of guitar students here!

Naqvee said...

Heartiest congratulations to you!
Moving ahead in the life and navigating in the right direction is all what you have been waiting since four years! God's help reaches to those on time who patiently waits for their turn. The best part is that you and your son will be living in the same city and the next best part is that you can continue your personal work!
Leaving almost nothing behind, and moving forward to a destination full of hopes and promises is definitely a good thing to share about!
We are happy for being a part of your blogging life and witnessing this lovely shift of your life :)
All the best!
Love Naqvee

Hollie said...

WOW!! Our God is AWESOME!! I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!! I know it will be wonderful living closer to your son!!! PRAISE GOD!!

I hope you have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING & I'm sure you will!!

Intense Guy said...

You already found a bench with a view!!

:)

Fingers crossed for a smooth move!

salemslot9 said...

one of my John's brothers
& his wife live in Dewey
which is close to Prescott
then 2 years ago
my John's parents
moved there
what a coincidence!

SweetMarie said...

Isn't is funny how things work out? I'm so happy for you! Everything is positive for this move. :)
hugs to you!
Marie

Birgit said...

This is good news all around-more money, a steady income, closer to your son and you see changes in the seasons from what it sounds like. Koda can play in the leaves. The move also sounds less stressful which will be good. Life never stays the same

Secret Agent Woman said...

Congratulations - that's fabulous news!!!

Chatty Crone said...

God is with you Betty - I am so happy. I know this is a blessing from God - I know it. You will have your house and new house too. A salary and a moving allowance - close to your son - you could not have asked for better. You have a month to move - does he go ahead of you??????????? Oh best wishes and good luck!

Liz A. said...

Great news. Congratulations. May the move go smoothly.

Jimmy said...

Congratulations Betty, God does answer prayers for sure, this sounds like a good deal all the way around, I am happy for you both.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

WHAT GREAT NEWS!!! Wow! This made my morning. So happy for you and hubby as you embark upon a new adventure :)

Melanie said...

Great news!!!

Melanie

netablogs said...

That is so great, Betty! So happy for you and your husband! Looking forward to hearing about all the new adventures!

Sharon said...

Oh boy, Betty! What a journey you've been on in the last several years! This is wonderful news, and it sure looks like God is paving the way with blessings! Prescott is a beautiful area, and I think you'll be very happy there. Koda, too!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

GOD BLESS!

Danielle L Zecher said...

Congratulations to your hubby on his new job! And good luck to you with the packing and moving.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

This is so exciting.....Congratulations to you and your hubby. I am so thrilled for you. I think you are going to love it there. What an awesome blessing your have received from God. Debby

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

Betty, this is wonderful news! My son lived in Scottsdale for about 5 yrs. and liked it. What a faithful prayer warrior you have been - God is taking care of you. I'm sure your husband is so relieved. God bless your new adventure!

Kat said...

That is fantastic news!!! Congratulations! And right before Thanksgiving. Quite a lot to be thankful for this year, isn't there?
How wonderful! :)

quilteddogs said...

Just stumbled on your blog and I have to say congratulations to you and your husband and welcome to Prescott.It truly is "everybody's hometown" and I think you will enjoy it here. I am only a part time resident but I have been fortunate to call Prescott my home away from home for over 30 years.

Linda Reynolds said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you both... and yes always in God's time, he always has a plan... Right down to you having the day off on hubby's interview... :)

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, what great news!! So glad that God worked it out in His time. Happy that you'll be close to your son too. Wonderful news! New beginnings are fun!! Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Just so happy for how this has worked out! Thank you, LORD, Who sustains us.

Hugs,
Carol

Pokeberry Mary said...

so happy for you betty!! :) Prayers for your move and settling in to a new place. We were through the same kind of thing a long time trying to find the job hubby has now and many moves.. living in a totally new place. All those things. :) I feel we are home now. finally. hope you will be too.

JosephAlsarraf said...

That's good news! Sorry that y'all have to move again....But i hope y'all enjoy y'all's new home! Congratulations to hubby on finding a new job. I know how he feels it took me 5 years for me to get mine. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope y'all enjoy Arizona! : )

Akshitha said...

Ohhhh...loved reading your post.first time on your blog.
Hope, belief & patience can really make miracles happen.
Congrats to u & Ua hubby.
All the very best..!!

Mary said...

I'm so excited for both of you! I've heard very good things about Prescott! Can't wait to hear about your adventures and your new town!

Cindi said...

Ive been away from blogger for a bit. Sorry for the delay with CONGRATS!!! WOOT WOOT. Prayers for safe travels