a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Sunday, October 12, 2014

sometimes you go with the flow, now matter how expensive it might be

Hubby and me had a reason to celebrate today, so we decided to go out to eat.  I was supposed to come up with two ideas of a restaurant, he would do the same.  I'm not good at this.  Mainly I don't take the time to research like he does, secondly, I'm just plain lazy.

So he came up with two ideas and I liked both, but one we had not been to and was right along the beach.  That seemed like a nice venue to celebrate so we agreed on that.

He made a reservation for the time we wanted to go. They asked if it was a special occasion and he said yes and what it was.  When he told me, I'm like "oh no, you didn't say what it was" because I'm not one that likes attention drawn to myself, but he said yes because he was glad for the occasion and the celebration and wanted everyone to know.  I had to agree with him when he presented it like that. It should be shouted from the rooftops because a lot of people don't get to reach the milestone that we did, my parents definitely did not.

So we get to the restaurant and are greeted warmly by the hostess with the best of wishes, sat at a very nice table to enjoy the beach and the setting sun.  We start to take a look at the menu and I realize this is going to cost an arm and a leg, but sometimes you go with the flow, no matter how expensive it might be.

We are on a tight budget, have been for the past four years. But sometimes you just got to let it go.

So we let it go tonight.

The server came and took our drink orders after offering best wishes to us. Combinedl, our wines would have bought eight bottles of "cheap" wine.  But you go with the flow.  Shortly after, the manager came and introduced himself and talked with us for a few minutes, again expressing best wishes and congratulations.

We ordered our entrees, which were al carte, i.e., everything you are getting extra is going to cost extra.  Soup and/or salad does not come with the meal.  Nine dollars each for a little bowl of clam chowder, delicious for sure, but at the same time I'm thinking "how many cans of Campbells soup could we get for that."

Our entrees were scrumptious.  Hubby got beef filet mignon, I got a chicken asado.  Very nice presentation and very delicious.  We were stuffed at the end of it, but got a complimentary dessert of a brownie and caramel syrup since we were celebrating.

At the end when the bill was presented, it was more than our weekly budgeted amount for food.

But sometimes you go with the flow, no matter how expensive it might be.

Hubby gave me a card this morning and wrote in it "I hope we have many more together" which was sobering.  I'm 56, edging on 57, he is 61.  We really don't know how many more years we will have alive.

This might be the last such celebration we celebrate together.

It was a delightful night.

No matter what the cost.

Because sometimes you go with the flow, no matter how expensive it might be.

Because you don't know if you'll have the opportunity again.

So you take it when you can and be grateful you were able to do so.

44 comments:

Liz A. said...

Sounds like a lovely dinner. Even though it was expensive. So, how many years? You didn't say.

Oh, and congratulations. May there be many more.

Pat Hatt said...

Hopefully many more are to come. And yeah, sometimes you just have to say screw it and splurge a bit, can't take it with you. None of us know how long we have, so have to enjoy it well we can.

Hollie said...

Sounds like a wonderful night!! I agree with ya sometimes you just got to go with the flow!! Congratulations!!

The Brown Recluse said...

We'll have to start guessing the years! Happy Anniversary to you and Mr. Hubby! I do hope you have many more, and I'm happy you went with the flow...sounds like it was worth it. (LOL @ you wondering about Campbell's soup!)

You are right, we never know when it might be our last time, so it's important to let loose every now and then.

lyndagrace said...

Congratulations on your very special occasion!
A little indulgence every once-in-awhile is a great way to recharge.

Bijoux said...

Congratulations! I learned a long time ago that if my husband picks the restaurant (or gift, etc.) to not say anything about the price.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lovely celebration. Congratulations on your many years together and to come.

Stew Adams said...

I am the reigning King of Cheapville. But still make room in the budget to take special care of those that are most important to me. For without them, I am not my whole self.
Sometimes you have to Treat Yo Self.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Anniversary! You are so right, special occasions need to be celebrated ! Glad you were able to have a delicious night out!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad that since you paid the money that it was all so nicely done for you. Now you have to forget the cost and remember the pleasure it brought you.

Melanie said...

Happy anniversary! Sounds like a pretty place you went too!

Melanie

Mevely317 said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary!
I think it's precious that your hubby wanted everyone to know of your milestone. It sounds as if he's pretty proud of his bride! :)

PS - Love your attitude about the whole thing. Perhaps in a few years you can laugh about it!

susie said...

You are worth it!

susie said...

You are worth it!

Birgit said...

Now we will all be guessing. I am thinking 40 yrs together which would have made you very young when you got together but it could be 30 years. You must have been a credit counsellor in a previous time:) You sound like me when my hubby and I go out together. I just voice it and my hubby tells me to cool it. In the end it was special and we had a wonderful memory despite the money. This will always be a wonderful memory and that no one can place a price tag on:)

Linda said...

Sweet- dinner and hubby's quotes. Happy Anniversary! May God bless you with many more!

Paula Kaye said...

Congratulations on your celebration. It sounded marvelous. That is a good attitude to have because you just never know....and sometimes we just have to splurge even though we know we shouldn't! May you have many, many more days together!

jack69 said...

Congratulations, yes many do not enjoy that many years. And remember he picked you, so sometimes a guitar picker DOES know what to pick.

I know what you mean about the mental math gymnastics. (I could have bought a gallon of Ice cream for what we paid for these cones! SMILE)

Yes it is good for the most frugal to 'Go with the Flow'.
Loved the entry.....

Big Mark 243 said...

... I am glad that you had that evening... it was not only a celebration but of recognizing the love you and your husband share and the appreciation you have of each other...

Chatty Crone said...

Awe, happy anniversary - I am so glad that you did go out and splurge. I think you deserve to do that once in awhile. I hope you had a great time!

salemslot9 said...

one year
just my Mom and I
went to Atlantic City
she secretly told the staff
it was my birthday
after we finished our meal
at least a half dozen people
came to our table
with a plate of desserts
my name written in chocolate
& sang happy birthday
memories = priceless
congratulations!

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Well said! Glad you both let go and enjoyed yourselves. I tend to think of all I could do with the money too. But everyone needs a splurge, a special event now and again.

Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

joeh said...

If I am going to an expensive restaurant, it takes me about a week to brace myself for the cost, then I order what I want and am ok.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you went with the flow. I love nice dinners like that and at this point in my life I want to enjoy the time I have left. Sounds like a great dinner....yum!!!
Debby

Sue Elvis said...

Happy anniversary to you and your husband Betty! It sounds like you won't forget this year's celebrations. Very special!

Donna B. said...

Congratulations and am so happy to hear you went with the flow and enjoyed such a great evening. You both deserve it!

TARYTERRE said...

Special occasions are meant to be celebrated. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and just let yourself go with the flow.

TARYTERRE said...

PS) HAPPY! HAPPY!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

What an amazing photo. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! May there be many many more :-)

Danielle L Zecher said...

Congratulations! Hopefully you will have many more years of celebrations.

Linda Reynolds said...

Happy Anniversary!!!
I'm glad you spoiled yourselves... :)

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary..I completely agree with you. Sometimes we have to celebrate and relax enough with ourselves to enjoy it. You can have Campbells soup any time. Maybe even have Clam Chowder to bring back the special memory of your dinner out.

Cindi said...

Congrats. What a love story. Thank you for sharing. I agree sometimes, you just have to blow the budget! Great way to live life (((hugs)))

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Happy Anniversary! Yes you don't know. So glad you took the time to celebrate!

Hugs,
Carol

Sharon said...

That sounds like the best time - let alone the meal!! Congrats, Betty - Happy Anniversary to both of you! And yes, may the Lord bless you with many more years together.

Sometimes the *splurge* is worth it - sounds like it was this time!!

XO

rmslil said...

Congrats...life is short...celebrate the occasions with no regret....my parents were 5 weeks short of 54 when he went to be with Jesus.

Kat said...

Yes, yes, YES!
I wholeheartedly agree. Celebrate life's accomplishments. You both deserve it.
Live each day like it is the last because you just never know. No matter how old you are. Some people think that is a bit depressing but I don't. I was just talking about that with my children. Try to treat everyone with kindness and be careful with your words because you just never know.

I'm so glad you both gave the day it's proper due. And congratulations! :)

yaya said...

Life should be celebrated and I'm glad you two had the evening to enjoy and a fresh new memory to add to the collection! If this is an anniversary..well, Happy anniversary! If it's celebrating something else...well, Happy, Happy!

Stephanie Faris said...

It's all about the memories! Those places that charge by the item drive me crazy, though. You don't realize how much the total cost is going to be until you get your bill and those sides really add up.

Veronica Lee said...

Happy Anniversary! So glad you went with the flow and celebrated.

Here's to many, many more years of celebration!

LynnMarie said...

Happy Anniversary to you both and yes, every day is a blessing. Every day is worth taking time to care for each other and hold hands and yes, go out to eat, no matter the cost.

Intense Guy said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Is this number 25? :)

I hope you have at least that many more years together to come.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you guys treated yourself to such a lovely dinner out.

Jerralea said...

Happy belated anniversary! (Sorry, I'm late dropping by.)

Yes, definitely celebrate because no one knows how much time is left. Yes, that's kind of a morbid thought but if it makes us be more intentional about living fully in the minute, maybe that is a good thing.

I hate ala carte menus, too. But a romantic dinner by the beach is worth it once in awhile.