a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hit, a book review


For BookLook Bloggers, I chose to read and review Hit by Lorie Ann Grover.  By agreeing to read the book in its entirety and writing a review of it on my blog and a consumer site, I was provided a free copy of the book.

It is an interesting story of a high school senior student, Sarah, who has been offered a full scholarship at a women's college.  Her intent was to fully go to that college as it has the course study she wished to pursue, until she has a poetry class that a graduate student, Haddings, is assigned to teach.  He is at the local university and her interests change to attend that one instead of the one she has a full scholarship to.  Although he knows it is wrong for them to pursue a relationship, she definitely has feelings for him and expresses it through her poetry.  The day after he shares a poem in the class that definitely tells her there can be nothing between the two of them, she writes a poem to give to him.  As she is walking across street to go to school on a rainy morning, she drops the poem and goes back to retrieve it, only to get hit by a car that is driven by him, althought it is an accident.  The book continues from each of their perspectives over the days she is hospitalized until her release when she makes her final decision on where she will attend college.  Through their perspectives, the book is designed.  Her perspective is written from the pain of the accident, the treatment given to her, etc., his is written through the perspective of hitting her and how guilty he feels and how he wants to apologize to her and her family.

This book is listed as teen fiction.  I had trouble with the the theme of the book with a potential relationship between a student and a teacher.  I then had to look at the book for its targeted audience.  I would not have liked this theme at my age in my mid 50s, but for a teen who has imagined a crush on a teacher and the possibility of what could happen if a relationship did happen, it may appeal to them, as well as maybe open up their eyes to the dangers of wanting to pursue such a relationship. 

The story was written in short paragraphs back and forth between the two main characters . A lot of emphasis was put on how hideous Sarah looked after an accident, especially her face, having to have emergency surgery to avoid complications.  I would imagine for a young teen, their looks would be something that they would be worried about in such an event.

I think the author did an okay job with relating the medical things Sarah went through as a result of the accident, but she was in the hospital only for a short period of time with a major brain injury, but not a lot of bone injuries which I found surprising after being thrown over 20 feet after being hit by the car.  Perhaps because of my profession in medical transcription, I thought it was a little far fetched for such an accident to occur without more serious injuries with a very short hospital stay with no physical therapy mentioned as occurring for recovery.  However, a teen probably would not catch some of that or be interested in some of that.

I would recommend the book for a young teen interested in poetry, since there were several poems highlighted in the book, and enjoying a quick read, for this was easy to read. 

17 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Sometimes in many things it does seem far fetched the way they portray injury, week later everything all better.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I probably would never have read the book as I'm older yet than you but it was an objective review .

susie said...

Thanks for the review. I'm all about easy reads these days. :-)

Bijoux said...

I guess the only positive thing to say is that at least teens are still reading books?

Linda said...

Sounds like good poetry read & teen eye opener/driver warning as well.

jack69 said...

I always enjoy what I call from my past a 'Book Report', yeah I know it ain't the same, but old don't quit being old. HA!
I was struck before you mentioned it of the Medical content, how you would have more insight than most on a subject close to you...
GOOD, I enjoyed your REVIEW!

Birgit said...

That was nice of you to read the book and offer the critique. I bet one has to go from the point of view of the age of the reader (whew that was a long winded sentence).

Paula Kaye said...

I will suggest it to Harley. Sounds like she might enjoy it. Thanks for the review

Chatty Crone said...

Just stopping by to say hello. Thanks for the review.

Liz A. said...

Maybe my niece would like it.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the grad student/high school student (statutory rape situation) in this book.

Mevely317 said...

Out of the blue, this made me think of a (one-sided!) high-school crush I had on my biology teacher, Mr. Baldwin.
So silly in retrospect, but it felt SO real at the time.

I'm not thrilled with the target audience either. Then again, I'm probably not giving enough credit to today's young people. Interesting!

Veronica Lee said...

Sounds like an interesting read. My niece would love this.

Happy Thursday, Betty!

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds interesting. My granddaughter is a preteen so it wouldn't be suitable. But I enjoyed your review.

Intense Guy said...

Interesting book concept - the premise sounds like a lot could have been done with it - and it failed to reach some sort of "point" perhaps because it was a tad contrived?

Were the poems, at least, good reading?

Danielle L Zecher said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. It sounds like one I'll probably skip. It's funny to me how many people's jobs can "ruin" things in books/movies/TV when it's sooooo inaccurate.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I can see how a teen could relate to it. That was a huge decision she made not going for that full scholarship!
Debby