a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, October 24, 2014

he wears it somewhat well

We had a bit of a scare earlier this week with Koda. 

Sunday he stopped wanting to eat.  When a corgi doesn't want to eat, you know there's a problem.

He kind of was okay Monday until Monday night when we were giving him his shot and we both noticed his right side of his snout was swollen.  The swelling went down overnight, but we noticed he felt warm and his appetite was nothing like it normally was.

We took him to the vet Tuesday.  The vet was so busy that they couldn't give us an appointment, but said we could drop him off, the vet would evaluate him when he could and give us a call.

On pins and needles we waited until the phone rang.

The vet doesn't usually speak to you on the phone unless it is something major.  His techs tell what is wrong, the recommended treatment, you agree to it, and then it is carried out.

So when the tech called, I knew it wasn't bad news because the vet will deliver bad news over the phone. Been there, done that when Koda was diagnosed with lymphoma back in 2011.

But it was inconclusive news.  They did an aspirate of where he was swollen and it came back mostly white blood cells (infection) but also some other cells the vet couldn't quite figure out. He wanted a pathologist to look at the slide which we agreed to do. He said there may be some lymph glands in there. We panicked. Lymph cells would mean Koda's lymphoma was back.

We cried. We planned.  We didn't want him to suffer. That is always our intent.  We don't want him to suffer to keep him alive because we can't bear to part from him.

I picked him up from the vet because of hubby's work schedule and had to talk to the vet. I panicked, thinking "okay, he's going to give me bad news, I will not cry."  He actually had good news, Koda looked healthy, he just wasn't sure, he didn't suspect anything, but just wanted another opinion.

I paid for the services and waited for Koda to be brought out. One of the receptionists who had been with us all through Koda's chemotherapy and cancer asked me "are you okay?" I said "yes, better than I was a few hours ago." She said she fell apart when she heard there was a possibility Koda could have lymphoma.  I said it was going to be a sad day when that day came. We hugged. She said they were here for us.

We took Koda home. Over the next few days he eventually got his appetite back and his energy and started to feel like the corgi he used to be.

He was on antibiotics, pain pills, eye drops because his right eye was really goopy.

And we waited for the final news. Would the slide sent to the pathologist indicate a return of lymphoma?

The vet had to shave him where they did the aspiration of fluid. Someone (Koda) thought it would be good to scratch it.


Someone caused the area to bleed.

Someone is wearing the "cone of shame" until the area heals over a little bit.

But......

by the grace of God......

someone had a clean slide, no cancer cells, no lymph cells, just white blood cells
indicative of infection.

And for that I am grateful.

Thank you Lord.

(and he really does look relatively stunning in that cone)

36 comments:

Bijoux said...

So glad Koda is A-OK!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm thankful that the results were good and hope Koda heals quickly. I'm sure he'll feel better yet when that cone is gone.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is good news.

Chatty Crone said...

Someones and I mean a few - are sure blessed and lucky there. So glad he is okay - even in the cone of shame. Sounds like Koda and i have the same thing - gooey eyes!

Intense Guy said...

"We are there for you."

...that includes me.

Deanna said...

I'm so glad Koda is ok Betty. Now about that pretty necklace he is wearing.... I'm jealous!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm so glad Koda is okay! I started crying when I thought you might be leading up to saying he has cancer. Sooooo glad it's not!

He does look cute in the cone of shame.

It sounds like you have a really good vet's office. It means a lot when everyone knows your furbaby and seems to be pulling for them. We drive over an hour to take the dogs to the vet because we love that vet and everyone there so much. It just makes me feel like they really are getting the very best care possible.

Give Koda an extra pet from us. :-)

Jeanie said...

"someone had a clean slide, no cancer cells, no lymph cells, just white blood cells"....I am so glad you got this good news and that Koda is okay. I know the waiting time was very scary.

Pat Hatt said...

Great news that he is cancer free. That cone of shame never goes over well with anyone haha

Mary said...

Awww.. Koda looks so cute, even wearing the cone of shame. He's such a practical little fellow, and always seems to make the best of every situation. I'm so glad the test results were good.

Stephanie Faris said...

YAY! That's awesome news, although so sorry he has to wear the cone. My parents' dog had allergies and had to go in for allergy shots once a week. Because of that, the entire staff got to know him SO well! Our vet isn't really on a first-name basis with our dog at this point, but she's only 6. They knew my dog Ruben all too well because he had a lot of health problems. It's so sweet how they get to know some dogs and really care about them.

jack69 said...

I hate it when I see a dog with the 'cone of shame'(never heard that) but have seen the cone.
Glad the dude is well. Love from the East Coast....

The Brown Recluse said...

For shame, Koda! Scaring Mommie like that! But you're still cute, even with the cone of shame!

...so glad and thankful he's ok!

joeh said...

Koda has many fans!

Big Mark 243 said...

...glad for the good news about Koda, Betty ... and how dear was it that the workers at the clinic were there for you in spirit..!

Big Mark 243 said...

...glad for the good news about Koda, Betty ... and how dear was it that the workers at the clinic were there for you in spirit..!

Funny in My Mind said...

Maybe a spider bite or sting from an insect?
Thank God he is ok.
The cone is hilarious!

Jimmy said...

I also wonder if it may have been a spider bite or bee sting.

I am happy to see that Koda is doing well now, not many would be able to look so good wearing the cone of shame as Koda does.

salemslot9 said...

sweet Koda ice cream cone ;)

Sharon said...

OK, Betty, I was sitting on pins and needles reading this. I love Koda. And, I am so very glad that he's OK. Oh yes, so very glad.

The cone of shame is quite stylish. Marty's worn it a time or two. I don't know about Koda, but Marty actually adjusted to it pretty good. But, I did feel sorry for him banging into things!!

Prayers for a speedy recovery - and for many more cuddles with my favorite corgi.

GOD BLESS!

susie said...

Good to hear. I love that phrase "Cone of shame."

Megan Whitson Lee said...

Ooooooohhhhhh! I'm so relieved...I remember the panic all too well with Tessa. Praise God!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a scare!!! I'm so happy to hear that it is good news....Amen!
((HUGS))

netablogs said...

Happy for you! Oh, I always feel sorry for animals when they have to wear the cone. But, it's for the best :)

TARYTERRE said...

What wonderful news. Thank goodness. he wears the cone well, for sure.

Mevely317 said...

Yea, Betty!!! How well I know this sort of worry and feeling helpless.
What a sweet, empathic vet tech!

Rejoicing over here!

Liz A. said...

Whew. Hoping that Koda feels all better soon. And gets out of the cone of shame.

Paula Kaye said...

I am so thankful....it's the waiting that is the worst. I am glad the news was good. Hope he gets out of the cone soon

Linda said...

Good news with Koda's health scare. I'm sure he is getting the best of care/love at home and will soon be off all the added meds. Yes, mighty cute patient!

Inger said...

That is such wonderful news, the waiting is always so difficult. He looks so cute in the cone, but I'm sure he can't wait to get rid of it.

Kat said...

Oh thank goodness! I'm so glad to hear that Koda is okay.
And yes, he does wear that cone well. :)

SweetMarie said...

Koda does wear that cone well! :) So glad he's okay! Hope you're having a nice weekend. :)
hugs,
Marie

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Wonderful news about your corgi.

yaya said...

Good news! I'm so glad for your family and your sweet corgi...way to go Koda...get well soon!

Veronica Lee said...

So glad darling Koda is okay, Betty.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Shame about the cone, but good news on the lab work.