a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Magnolia Market - book review


For Booklookbloggers, I am reviewing the book, Magnolia Market, by Judy Christie.  For agreeing to read the book completely and posting a review about it on my blog and on a commercial site, I was given a free copy of the book.

The story revolves around Avery Broussard who at the start of the book was working at a clothing boutique, owned by her mother-in-law, that she was hoping to buy.  The book begins at the one year anniversary of Avery's husband, who had wanted out of the marriage before his death in a car accident.  Avery had hoped by buying the boutique, she was finally going to start feeling better and moving ahead after his death, only to find that her mother-in-law as well as other members of her husband's family wanted her out of town and were going to do everything possible for her to relocate.

She is not able to buy the boutique, in fact is fired from the job as manager.  She goes on in an interesting story line to manage the town's market that she turns around from barely making ends meet to being somewhat profitable.  Over the ensuing several months of the story, she and a handyman/carpenter come to know each other, but it takes them a bit of time to get to start to have a relationship.  She meets others that help her in her quest to figure out what she is going to do with her life now and to stay in the city where she is currently living, not wanting to be driven out by her mother-in-law.  In the end, she is able to stay there, keep working at the market store, and settles into the relationship with the handyman/carpenter.

My thoughts about the book.  I kind of liked it, but it was sort of redundant in parts about how much the mother-in-law did not like Avery and how much the mother-in-law wanted her out of town.  Their actions against Avery were a bit extreme and at times unbelievable.  There is hint that the family has some secrets that they might not necessarily want exposed and she knows those secrets, but we are left hanging at the end of the book wondering what those were.

Avery, though, is a strong character in the book with determination and willingness to work hard for what she wants to accomplish.  Having to change her image from what others thought of her as the rich young woman married to one of the town's wealthier familes to basically the good caring person that she was comes across in the book. 

It was an easy book to read.  The plot flowed like you would expect it to.  There weren't too many surprises for me.  At times some of the writing seemed a little stiff.  I also thought the way it ended was abrupt.

Would I recommend it? Yes if one is looking for a book that doesn't have too much depth, light reading for the beach or on a cool winter day wrapped under a blanket. 

21 comments:

Bijoux said...

How strange that the author would drop hints about the family's past, and then not follow through!

Stephanie Faris said...

Interesting--the premise sounds like it wouldn't be a light read, which is why I wouldn't have picked it up. I like light, fun reads!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sometimes it is good to have a book like that for light reading, but I wouldn't like the abrupt ending either.

Intense Guy said...

It's a tough topic to make entertaining. Loss and the struggle to get back into life. I guess it might be best it was handled "lightly" or no one would want to read it.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Not an ending I would have liked. Maybe there will be a sequel!?

Pat Hatt said...

Sometimes endings do end like that so they can set up the next one. But an easy read is nice some days too.

susie said...

Thanks for the review, Betty. I'm reading the comics these days.

:-/

Linda said...

Talk about perseverance!
Happy autumn!

Birgit said...

I have seen families and neighbours do stupid things and dislike people for very stupid reasons so I can see implausable things actually happen. I don't care for a book to not wrap everything up and leave one hanging so would skip this one

jack69 said...

Very well worded review. I enjoyed the review.
I am a strange reader, I do like a plot that flows (sorta like real life) without a lot of surprises, a fun read.
I even like the ones with twists and turns, AFTER I HAVE READ IT. (smile). When a 'good' writer has me hooked I get involved and I would bet if I was hooked to a blood pressure monitor, my pressure would fluctuate as I read. (REAL BIG SMILE)
Love fro the other coast...

Sharon said...

Sounds like an interesting read. But, an ending that leaves one hanging? I always find that tough. I've lately discovered a new *genre* for me - historical detective/mystery novels. One reason I like them is because many of the series have been around for awhile. So, I can start in the beginning and read one after the other, and therefore get sorta *instant* resolution to plot cliffhangers. Until I get caught up, and then I have to wait again!!

XO

Paula Kaye said...

Don't think this is one that I could read right now. But you did a very good job with the review...

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Excellent review. I could identify at some points with the family tension. Would love to have the luxury of reading a novel.

TARYTERRE said...

Loved your opinion on the book. Sounds like a light read. One worth doing.

Mevely317 said...

Oooh, I hate loose ends.
Evil, wealthy mother-in-law? Sounds a bit like that great olden movie, Madam X.
Nice, objective review, Betty!

Megan Whitson Lee said...

I love the way you wrapped up the review. "If you're looking for a book without much depth, this is the one for you!" LOL!

Liz A. said...

Light reads are good. Stuff left unresolved, not so good.

Jerralea said...

Sometimes you need a light read, but it would aggravate me if the author hinted at secrets but never revealed them ... I don't suppose this book is a start of a series?

Veronica Lee said...

Sounds like an interesting read! I'm not a big fan of books or movies that leave you hanging though.

Great review, BTW.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Going to put it on my Amazon list!

The Brown Recluse said...

I'd probably like the easy story line, but I hate abrupt endings. The Help was that way.