a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, August 11, 2014

Sunday night dinner

One of the things I enjoy the most is when hubby, son, and me are cooking in the kitchen.  Usually on Sunday, I'll plan something that is a little more special and may involve a bit more prep work in cooking.  Its fun to be working in the kitchen together, each of us doing our own station so to speak, but interacting and talking as we are preparing this or that.

I'm not the cook, they are.  I prepare, they really cook. They know what goes well together with seasonings and everything they cook always comes out good.

In the process though of us working in the kitchen, we go through literally every single knife we have as well as every single plate we have.  The dishwasher will be empty when we start and over stacked by the time we are done with dinner.  We do manage to use a lot of utensils and plates as we prepare and cook together.

Tonight's menu started out to be steak kabobs, Parmesan zucchini and corn salad, and quinoa. 

Here are the kabobs just taken off the grills.  On them were steak meat, onions, yellow pepper, and mushrooms.  Still on the grill is tuna (see below for more info).


About three weeks ago, son went deep sea fishing for the first time.  They were out for about 9 hours on the ocean from when they left port to when they finished.  It was his first time, so he was a "rookie".  He eventually got the hang of things, baiting his hook, keeping it from tangling up, etc. 

He got three yellowtail tuna, which is what they were catching at the time. Some fish they caught had to be thrown back in because it was not what they could catch. 

His first fish he caught a determined sea lion wanted to also catch it.  The sea lion literally had its mouth on the neck of the fish as son and the deck hands on the boat were trying to reel it in.  They were more persistent than the sea lion and eventually brought the fish into the boat.  It had a big gash in its neck. 

He said sea lions were big pests for the majority of their shipping expedition.  The sea lions associate boats with fish so they stay close to boats. 

Coming back to port, the deck hands clean the fish caught to the specifications of those that caught the fish.  Son asked for the two fish that were caught intact to be filleted, but the one that the sea lion wanted, he took it whole. He wanted to practice filleting it.  He said on the way back as the deck hands were processing the fish, there were lots of sea gulls flying alongside of the boat and would dive down to get the fish parts that were thrown overboard.

Today was the first time he had a chance to cook the fish he had caught (it was frozen) so he cooked up 3 of the fillets he had. 

He had seen on the cooking channel someone who cooked their fish on lime and lemon.  He had started it with the lime/lemon on top and then flipped it over halfway in the cooking. If I remember correctly, the lime/lemon help keep moisture in the fish.

It was delicious.
 


This is a quinoa and rice mix.  I had always wanted to try quinoa so we decided to try it this meal.  It was good; we like coucous better. 
 


This was Parmesan zucchini and corn.  Actually what we do (because we sometimes don't follow recipes) is I had a yellow squash leftover so we used a yellow squash with the zucchini.  I got the recipe online but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from and when I printed it out, it didn't say where it came from so I can't give credit to where it should be, but it definitely is not my recipe.  It was absolutely delicious (recipe below).
 



Parmesan corn and zucchini

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
4 zucchinis (I did 2 big zucchini, 1 big squash)
1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or more to taste (we used actual Parmesan shredded cheese)

Instructions:
1.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

2.  Add zucchini, corn, basil, oregano, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender and cooked through about 3-4 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

3.  Serve immediately, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bon appetit!

38 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Everything looks delicious. We love fish here, so I enjoyed your son's story. Lucky you have two men in the house that enjoy cooking.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It all looks wonderful. What a treat you all had !

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Never has a post made me as hungry as this post did :) have a beautiful Monday!

Stephanie Faris said...

Yum. I'm coming over next Sunday! My stepdaughter's mom makes quinoa all the time, or so I hear! My stepdaughter says it can be really good...I guess it's super healthy? I should try it sometime.

Pat Hatt said...

Never knew that about sea lions, they are smart sticking where to food is, even if annoying. Looks grand indeed at your feed

Bijoux said...

That corn and zucchini dish looks delicious! Do you remember when I posted that picture of the awful quinoa dish I made? I've never tried quinoa since!

That cracks me up about the sea lions. I can't imagine seeing one, other than at the zoo. They seem so cute and innocent!

yaya said...

This was better than watching Food Network! Nice to have chefs in house. Everything looks delicious and a good fish story to enjoy with dinner. Thanks for giving out the recipe. This is zucchini season around here! I would love to live near the ocean!

Linda said...

Loved your catch of the day post! I know when you all get together cooking, it's gonna look and taste delicious.

susie said...

Can I come over? They almost look like pork chops!

Dana said...

Everything looks so good! I have some zucchini, squash, and corn in the fridge/freezer, and now I think I know how I want to use it. Thanks. ☺

Happy Monday!

joeh said...

Fresh Tuna is delicious!

I am going to try that lemon/lime grilling technique.

Intense Guy said...

Looks so yummy!!!

Sounds like your son had a blast! I wonder how they would cook sea lion, had he caught it.. :)

Eddie Munoz said...

Wow! I wish all Sunday dinners would be like that. Everything looks so appetizing. I only wish it wouldn’t rain on barbeque day, so that I can grill something just like those to my heart's content. Thank you so much for sharing the recipes. Wishing you all the best!

Eddie Munoz @ Mikuni Sushi

jack69 said...

WOW a meal fit for the KING. Looks delicious. I just mentioned to Sherry yesterday, we need to do kabobs we haven't done that in years.
And the FISH! I will have to remember that. Looks super. Yes it is nice to have that family time together...
Good one Betty. THANKS.

lyndagrace said...

Thanks for dinner. I almost feel as though I were a guest.
What I like most about your post is the way you described the hustle, bustle and love the three of you shared while preparing the meal.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a meal. Every dish in my house would be dirty, too, and we would be too stuffed to move.

Sharon said...

OK, I know where I'm going next Sunday night! Everything looks so delicious - and I really think I could smell it, too!

Gotta try the corn/zucchini recipe - we're trying to eat more vegies at our house! And I have tried fresh-caught trout with lemon and butter. Yummy...

XO

Paula Kaye said...

That food looks awesome. I have never eaten fresh tuna. But my mouth was watering all over your pictures. Now I must wipe the screen...lol

Birgit said...

The food you show is making me hungry-yummm! Your son is taking things to a whole new level and good for him! Amazing how animals learn quickly where to find the food the easiest. The fish looks great

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What an awesome dinner. Everything looks delicious! I like quinoa when it is mixed with rice. Thanks for the recipes. How awesome that you have this special time together cooking on Sunday's. Enjoy your week. Debby

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I forgot to say that it was great that he got to go out and experience the deep sea fishing.

SweetMarie said...

my son has only been deep sea fishing once and he loved it! can't blame the sea lions for wanting the food, their instincts is to survive. :)
your steak kabobs look so good! I think we may have to cook some up this weekend. :)

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed your son's fishing adventure - thanks for sharing it.

And your food looks delish - I am not a big fish lover, but I would try it.

Nice dinner!

Liz A. said...

Lovely dinner. And really cool that your son caught the fish.

Mevely317 said...

What an entertaining share, Betty!
100 years ago or so (wink!) I used to enjoy deep sea fishing off Galveston Island, and I can imagine your son's excitement! Do you suppose he'll go again and again?

Nice to know both your fellas enjoy creating dinners that taste as good as they look. (I've always suspected that men are better chefs than we women.)

Now, I'm going to take the leap and try some quinona myself!

Veronica Lee said...

Yummmo! Everything looks sooooooo goooood! I enjoyed the story of the sea lions.
It's always such a delight to stop by at your blog, Betty.

Happy Tuesday!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Yes it is fun to be cooking in the kitchen together isn't it!? It's a great bonding experience.

Carrie Van Horn said...

This looks delicious Betty....just love your blog!!

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Too much fun! Love how the three of you work together. Your son could make some lovely lady a great cook. Going to try that recipe--maybe for Labor Day guests.

Tara Tyler R said...

looks and sounds delicious! especially with so much help making it all!

i also read the Koda tale =)
your dog, your prerogative. Kids arent the smartest or most thoughtbul beings and you never know if a doggie will bite. parents should respect you for saying no and kids should realize not all dogs should be pet!

ps - thanks for stopping by my broken branch falls blog tour!

Mary said...

That zucchini, squash, corn dish sounds delicious, and is so different from how I normally think of serving summer squashes. I know my family will love it. My family loves quinoa, especially red quinoa, which is nutty tasting. I combine it 50-50 with rice sometimes. I started using it after reading an oatmeal recipe, that combined it with steel cut oats, raisins, a banana mashed in towards the end, nuts, spices and some maple syrup.

Cindi said...

I hear sea lions are the "wolves" of the sea. Son got lucky getting his catch away from one them ornery pests. Great dinner. yummo

Betty Draper said...

Ok I am hungry. Think I will have my husband read this, he loves cooking shows but does not cook. IN fact I have thought about giving him a gift certificate for a cooking class...thanks for stirring the thought up in me.

Kat said...

It looks absolutely delicious. Wow!
There is so much bonding that goes on in a kitchen, isn't there? I love that too.
Sounds like your kitchen is a fun place to be. :)

Jerralea said...

I love the idea of you three cooking together!

Interesting story about your son's fight with a sea lion. I would have given up and let the sea lion have it!

Thanks for the recipe for the zucchini corn dish - I'm now hungry!

The Brown Recluse said...

Yum Yum! I bet that's not the last deep sea fishing trip son takes! Sounds like it would have been fun (for a guy!)

Had never heard of the lemon/lime trick, may try that, along with the parm zucchini/corn...that sounds really good!

Linda Reynolds said...

Everything looks so yummy... Growing up in Texas we would go deep sea fishing catching Jack Mackerel... I'm trying a new recipe tonight I will try to do a post about it... :)

salemslot9 said...

now, that is a feast!

at least, you have a dishwasher

I am the dish washer