a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, July 12, 2014

it was just one of those days

You know what kind of days I might be talking about, everything just seems to flow, it all seems to go well, have you had one of those days?

I took today off.  I accumulate so many hours of PTO per pay day.  I'm capped at 210 hours so if I don't use them, I don't gain any more. It used to be 240 hours, somehow I missed the memo that was sent out that they reduced it to 210 hours and there were several months I didn't gain any PTO. So now I'm careful.  If I am close to reaching 210 hours, I take a day here, a day there.  I try to keep my bank close to 200 hours of PTO which is equivalent to about a month's salary.  I work in an industry that doesn't guarantee steady employment. There have been lay offs.  I could be one of them down the road.  I would like to have a month's salary available before unemployment kicks in.  I have no money to go on vacation for a week or so and really we don't want to board Koda at this stage of the game so we stay put.

So I had the day off. 

Hubby and me went out to breakfast this morning at this great family restaurant.  I thought I ordered small, sausage scrambled with eggs, potatoes, pancakes since the restaurant is known for their pancakes. My platter of eggs and sausage and potatoes could feed a family of four for a week, I kid you not. Three huge pancakes accompanied the order.  I ate less than a third of the eggs, sausage and potatoes, two of the pancakes, and the rest came home.  Son had some of my leftovers and hubby's leftovers for lunch and there is still enough for another meal. And the prices weren't that bad.  Great restaurant. I'll recommend it if you are in the area.

Hubby then did a presentation at the studio he works for 28 kids part of a summer day camp. He talked of music and played some songs. 75% of the kids listened. I call it a success. He may get a student or two or maybe not, but that's okay, it still was a fun time.

Then we came home, gave Koda that car ride he still enjoys and son joined us for lunch.

He's sort of employed now, but not employed now. He's on the payroll but not working a lot lately.  Politics play a part here.  Could go into explanations but it would take a long time to explain it all. A lot his fault, some his employer's fault. He knows the writing is on the wall.  He's gradually being eliminated so he is looking for something else.

So hubby is on his computer doing whatever he's looking at.

I'm on Craigslist looking at jobs for son, sending potential things his way.

Son's laptop is dying (dead but we don't want to admit it) so he's on his tablet, applying for this, applying for that.  Koda is moving among us, by hubby, by son, by me, in the kitchen where he likes to sleep.

We're connected though we aren't talking.

We're all working on technology.

It just seems to flow.

And I like it.

All together.

We won't always be.

Son will get another job.

I won't have a Friday off.

Koda will choose to sleep down the hall in the bathroom.

But we were all relatively together.

And it was good.

Just one of those days.

We got sandwiches for dinner.

We watched Non-Stop (good movie).

We said good night.

And we move on to tomorrow, whatever it brings.

But today was just one of those days.

And it was a good one.

35 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Betty,

I enjoyed hearing about your day! I am at home full time with my kids, but I remember how special it used to be having a rare weekday at home while my work mates were working. I hope your son finds a suitable job soon.

lyndagrace said...

Those kind of days are what life is really all about. I believe recording them is important to remind us of those quiet moments of connection.

susie said...

I used to work in a hospital with the paid time off system. I liked it. Part-timers also accrued at a prorated level.

Stephanie Faris said...

Some people see that as "not spending time together" but I've never understood why everyone sitting in a room staring at the same TV show and not talking is any different than everyone sitting in a room, staring at different devices.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds like a wonderful day off to me. Yes, You do just have to be thankful for days like that when everything seems comfortable and cozy. Those times are some of the nicest ones. Something to remember when days aren't quite so nice.

Linda said...

The little things and together, nice to be refreshed and ready for the next day. People on vacation, movie plane ride, they had that other kind of "one of those days."

We had a mix of fun and working 4th of July weekend, DIY replace my mom's kitchen and dining carpet back to vinyl flooring.

All the best with the job search.

Cindi said...

I know what you mean, sometimes I wonder if the interaction would be different had I had a daughters?. Girls seem more social, but I luv my guys..some days are more eh, than others. Sending my prayers for a new job for your son.

Bijoux said...

I had never heard of PTO till my daughter became an RN.

Glad you had a Good Friday!

Jeanie said...

I'm not so far away from working full time that I don't remember just how nice those days off are. I'm glad you had a good one. I hope your son finds the right job soon.

Kat said...

I love days like those.
I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your PTO. Sometimes just being able to BE is the best kind of vacation. :)

joeh said...

You almost sound guilty taking a day when you max out the PTO...well you enjoyed the day, so not too guilty.

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you wrote this down as a memory and when your day is not going well - come back to this. It was a good day for a good day.

Pat Hatt said...

Could plan to have enough saved up for a month, but some days have to be taken to just enjoy like you did. All together is great whether on the same device or not.

Mevely317 said...

Betty, I so needed this reminder, that some of the BEST times in my life are the most simple. Somewhere along the line, I've grown accustomed to (mini)Emergencies, Obligations -- and looked for 'whizz-bang' distractions for so-called enjoyment.

Hope you're enjoying another Good Day!

jack69 said...

Betty, you are a real tale spinner. Loved your day. Also liked how you bring that although not talking you all are s still connected. had not thought of that, BUT NOW I will.

Yes things will change, I remember a SS teacher once saying, "Things are subject to Change." I knew it, but I had never actually thought of it that simply.
Great entry..... Love from lancaster, PA!

The Brown Recluse said...

What a sweet glimpse into your life...enjoyed it! I love days like that. Today is not one...today is one for arguing! This too shall pass. (It better!)

Carol Noren Johnson said...

As a new widow again (my second time) I would love a day like that. I was at a couple's house on Thursday and the subject of their mission trip came up and who would care for their dog. I thought to myself, but didn't say, "I will have to ask my husband if we can take that dog while the couple is on a mission trip."

Oops! I do not have a husband at home. Since June 23 his soul is with the LORD and his body is in a grave, and I am wishing for days like you had. Enjoy!

Going back to my new normal now.
Hugs,
Carol

Tracy said...

I'm with you on having to take a day off before losing paid leave. We max out at 336 and at the rate I accrue it I need to take three days a month off. Never is going to happen. But at least the overage goes into long term leave so if I was ever really sick I would have about six months paid.

Liz A. said...

Sounds like a lovely day.

Juli G said...

LOVE those days... I wish they happened more often around here.

Hollie said...

The restaurant sounds good!! At least you got your moneys worth! Sometimes you pay more than what you get. Sound like a good day around your place!! I hope your son finds something soon!!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Looks like you did indeed have a good day!
Gary and I watched Non Stop a couple days ago. It was a nail biter!!
Hope you're having a great weekend.

yaya said...

We've had a lot of low census in our hospital and I use pto to fill in the check. I do enjoy the occasional day off, but hate when my pto gets low! Sounds like your day off was a good one...I like when a plan comes together!

Jerralea said...

I love pto, I always try to keep at least a minimum of two weeks worth of hours in the pto bank. You never know when sickness will strike.

A day off is always a joy! I usually want it to be a productive day but lately I'm realizing have a day to just "be" is important, too.

SweetMarie said...

Betty, I completely get it! I'm the same way. As long as we're all close by and I can see my two favorite men and my pups...life is good. :)
I wish the best to your son. It isn't easy out there! Hubby has decided to finish his college degree and son starts college in the fall. Probably only one class because until next summer we aren't considered state residents. But one is a start. :)

Sharon said...

I am thankful for days like that, too. They bolster us for the not-so-good days! Last Monday, the hubby and I went on a Jeep ride, with the doors and roof removed! Ended up in Julian. We were gone for like 9 hours! At the end of the day, I looked at him and said, "I really, really enjoyed today." And he felt the same way.

Some days just have a peaceful, restorative effect on us. And I am thankful for the days of *rest* that God brings our way!!

GOD BLESS!

Intense Guy said...

Nothing like some quiet down time with a belly full of comfort food with the family hanging around.

:)

Birgit said...

What a lovely day and so nice to spend it with people you want to spend it with and the doggie:) I am certain Koda loved it. The meal sounds huge and too much but glad you took it home. I wish you luck with the jobs and searching. That is always a stressful time but you all will do well

TARYTERRE said...

Together time is good. Glad your day was nice.

Veronica Lee said...

I like days like this! Hope your son will find a job soon.

Happy Wednesday, Betty!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your breakfast sounds yummy and yes it sounds like a lot of food! I have to admit that eating breakfast out is one of my favorite things that we seldom do, however Mark makes a great breakfast on vacation!!!
Praying your son gets a new job soon. It is nice to be together even when technology is involved. Amazing how connected we are at times. Hopefully your husband will get a few new students.
Debby

Secret Agent Woman said...

Having 5 weeks of PTO banked was a god send when I left my job to start a private practice. Helped to have that income coming in!

Now I don't get paid leave, but I take Fridays off anyway.

netablogs said...

I like those kinds of days, too. Where everything just seems to flow and the living is easy, if only for a day! I will have to check out the movie you watched!

MS said...

Betty-
It sounds like a wonderful day to me. May you have many of them.
Mary

JOHN said...

You seserved the day off Ive rently started blogging again stop by soon:-)