a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sarah's Choice; a book review

Before I get to the actual review of the book, this is the first book I've read on a tablet.  I had thought the Nook, Kindle, etc., were interesting, wasn't sure if I would enjoy reading a book in that type of format.  Then we downsized and budgeting became an issue so that kind of put on hold me getting such a device until son got a tablet and I saw I could read books on it so I made him a deal to help pay some of the expense of it and get to use it for book reading/review.  It seems most of the book reviewing companies are doing Ebooks these days rather than sending a hardcover book out, cheaper I'm sure, so if I wanted to continue to do book reviews, I needed to jump on board.  Of course, as in the Smart Phone, I'm the last to do anything and I know a lot of you have readers similar and enjoy them immensely.

I did find I really enjoyed reading the book on the tablet and after I figured out how to download it, it was so easy to run.  I'm sure I'll use it a lot to review other books down the line. 



Now on to the review I am reviewing for BookLookBloggers.  The last time I did a review for them, about a year ago, they were known as BookSneeze. 

I'm reviewing the book Sarah's Choice for BookLookBloggers written by Rebecca St. James and Nancy Rue.  As part of agreeing to read the book in its entirety and writing a review about it on my blog as well as a commercial site, I was given a free copy of the book.

Sarah's Choice, briefly, tells the story of Sarah Collins who is struggling to make her name in the advertising business and is up for a promotion along with another fellow employee in the company.  She is ambitious and really wants the promotion, knowing that it will help her with some of the money problems she has inherited, having taken on the responsibility of paying for her dad's medical bills with his cancer treatment, although he has subsequently passed on several years prior.  She is always trying to avoid the manager of her apartment building because she is always late in rent.

Sarah finds herself pregnant and unmarried and faces that age old dilemma of what to do in such a situation. Does she keep the baby, put it up for adoption, or have the unspeakable action that her mother will never forgive her if she does. 

Throughout the course of the book, she struggles with this decision.  She visits a clinic to find out options and on the way out is handed a Christmas card (the story happens shortly before Christmas) where there are 3 wise men on the card. The lady who hands her the card says she will have 3 visions. 

She does have these 3 visions over the course of the story in which at least two of them she has a vision of herself raising the child she is pregnant with.  I don't want to give away too much of the story to go deeper into the nature of the visions.

She is also befriended by a lady at work who is 9 months pregnant, about to go out on maternity leave, whose job she is up for the promotion.  She helps Sarah in sorting out her feelings.

In the end, Sarah makes the best choice for herself with the help of her boyfriend as well as her turning back to God, someone she had turned away from when her dad had died 3 years earlier.

I kind of enjoyed the story.  I felt it kind of dragged in certain parts of the book, like within the first few paragraphs, we know she's pregnant, but she doesn't realize she's pregnant for a few more chapters down the road.  It would have been nicer if less was focused upon that and the reality of her predicament was made earlier than later. 

Parts were stilted and didn't flow well and seemed not to keep with the theme of the story. 

I also thought too with the 3 visions it was like taking the theme from Its a Wonderful Life and applying it to her circumstances, similar to what Its a Wonderful Life took from Scrooge. 

The story was pretty much predictable with no unusual twists.

I'd say if you had some free time and was interested in a story like this, it would be an okay read.

26 comments:

Paula said...

I have had my Nook Color for a few years now and it is the only way I read books anymore. I can even read magazines on it! Most of my books are free but I will occasionally spring for a book if it is one I really want to read....

Sue Elvis said...

Betty,

I love my tablet (and my Kindle!)for reading books. Thank you for the book review. I enjoy reading about new books. It's good to get an honest opinion. It sounds like it wasn't a spectacular read though acceptable.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Good for you for finding a way to get a book for free to review.

Look forward to the time I can read novels again. Working on the dissertation now and tend to buy hard copy nonfiction.

Bijoux said...

I just can't make myself give up a paper book!

lyndagrace said...

Thank you for your review and the specifics of what you liked and didn’t like about the book.
As soon as you mentioned the three visions, I immediately thought of Wonderful Life and Scrooge.
What I don’t like about my Kindle is that if I want to go back to a part in the book, say to refresh my memory about a character, it is more awkward on an e-reader. If I have a paper book, I can flip through the pages.
But, the conveniences of the Kindle far exceed that one negative.

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT review. I like books with a Christmas theme around the holidays.

Pat Hatt said...

Very thorough review indeed at your feed. Predictable sadly seems to be the way many of them are now a days

Linda said...

I remember Rebecca St. James for Christian music; cd's were on a nephew's wish list years ago. Glad you enjoyed using the Tablet.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I had to read your review because I've seen that movie listed but haven't watched it yet. Now I think I will. I know the books are usually better than the movie but in this case it will be the movie for me. Glad you got the tablet. I have a Kindle and I love it!

susie said...

Thanks for the review. I find my kindle too small. I'm sure there are ways to make that better, but I haven't taken the time to figure that out.

Chatty Crone said...

Thanks for the review - I have not heard of that book or the author. Looked good though. I do love my books in the hand though.

A Katy Did Gig said...

I guess I need to update to a reader instead of my smart phone. My eyes can certainly use it. I have read 2 books on it and keep The Bible on it also, however the headaches set in fast. Thanks for stopping by BTW. I unhackafied myself. ughghghg. Thanks for the review of the book too :)

jack69 said...

A very good review. The book sounds like a book for today.

I have the old Kindle, and thinking of updating and am not sure which way to go. I do know that the market is growing since my books have been e-books the sales have jumped. I read a lot of classics on the kindle.
Good entry and glad to know youare enjoying the notebook.
From this side of the country, jack

Birgit said...

I just received a nice old fashioned beautiful book(Art from the Vatican). I don't own a kindle but can see where it comes in handy especially if one reads a lot of novels but I still love my old fashioned books. I am not sure if I would read this book when it is only given an OK and there seems to be different plots going on and unsure which one to focus on

Stephanie Faris said...

It's funny I'm reading this right after spending 20 minutes struggling to see the book on my treadmill stand. With the Kindle, I can change the font size so I can see it...I've spent a year avoiding any book that wasn't in e-book format, but I had three paper books on my TBR list that I had to read! After this, no more paper books again ever!

yaya said...

I held out on getting a tablet but hubby jumped in and bought me one for Christmas 2yrs ago. I do love it and use it often. I think your book would be a "Summer on the beach" read. Not too mind demanding but not to bad either. Thanks for the review! Enjoy your week!

Liz A. said...

Congrats on getting a tablet. They're so great to read on. (Did you know you can also read books on your smartphone?)

Kat said...

I have read so many great books lately that I am having a hard time recommending books to people. There are just so many! I know you saw my recommendation for The Life List on my blog but I just finished The Hypnotist's Love Story and that was fabulous too. And if you haven't yet read What Alice Forgot then you must read that one as well. :)
Thanks for the review!

The Brown Recluse said...

I don't know if I ever shared my own abortion story with you...have not shared it much, but am thinking of writing about it one day.

I have mixed emotions about reading books on this topic...

Shelly said...

Great review- thank you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thanks for your review. It sounds interesting.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Sounds interesting! Great review!
: )

Jerralea said...

I still read paper books but have more and more books downloaded on my iPad. I think I will always read both kinds ...

Thanks for the review. I think I will pass on this one for the present time. I have too many others TBR!

Grammy Staffy said...

Thanks for the review. Have you read any books lately that you loved and consider a "Must read"? I just started reading books on Kindle. I like it because I can read from my phone or iPad anywhere I go and don't need a night light when it is dark.... but I still prefer reading from a real book that I can turn pages. I guess both forms are nice.

Thanks again for dropping by my blog. I always look forward to hearing from you. Hugs, Lura

Intense Guy said...

I play WWF on my Nook Color. :)

This book doesn't sound like my kind of read. Thanks!

viviene @ thejourneyofawoman said...

I just bought something and am reading it on Kindle now. I'm really more into physical than digital books!

Anyway, this book seems like a good read! =D

www.thejourneyofawoman.com