a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

how it all played out

When we last spoke, it was 10:15 p.m. Friday night and I had lots to accomplish, several things to get done in a short time span.

What really happened? Did I stay up until the wee hours of the morning to get it all done?

Nope, lets be honest. I'm 56 olds, I am ready for bed most nights by 10 p.m. but manage usually to stretch it out and get there by 11. 

Friday I did stay up a bit later, but only got one of the items on my list done.

The potato salad because that was the first thing that would be needed on the timeline for the weekend.  It came out delicious; I'm a bit prejudice, but son does have a knack for cooking; maybe one day he'll pursue it more.

So Saturday morning I woke up still having to come up with a craft, write a goodbye letter, figure out how to get that book to open I had downloaded to review. I knew it would be a tight day and I knew I would get everything done, but it would take clever planning on my part since it also included grocery shopping in the morning which took about 2-1/2 hours since we went to three different stores plus working 2 hours of overtime in the afternoon.

I'm sitting there on the bed getting dressed after my shower and it dawns on me (truly by the grace of God) a craft project. I had copied off months ago a heart that in the middle of it said "Jesus Loves Me".  I figured I could make copies of that for the kids to glue on to a piece of paper and decorate around it with stickers. These are 3/4  year olds and one of the things we emphasize is Jesus' love for them and this would tie perfectly together with Psalm 91.  I thanked God for the inspiration and got the pattern copied for the number I needed for class and put on my list to get some stickers from the store.  I figured between writing the lesson and cutting out the craft, it would be about 45 minutes to an hour. I thought I could squeeze that time into my day.

We went shopping and here and there I tried to figure out how to open up the file I had downloaded on the book to my son's tablet.  This was my first attempt in doing so and I was clueless what I was doing.  But I did some research, worked on it as I could, and continued to peel through the layers needed to get done like one peels through an onion.

It occurred to me me early afternoon that more than likely the children's minister who was leaving would be too busy to have planned a lesson and would do a movie like they sometimes do, so I text her and that was the case. It was going to be a simple lesson, including for the 3/4 year olds so I was given a reprieve and didn't have to have the craft/lesson ready until the following week.  There was a brief hiccup that night when we went to her daughter's performance in Rapunzel and in talking to her husband, he said "oh no, we have the curriculum all planned" not realizing his wife decided to keep it simple.  After still trying to think I could get things cut out and lessons written, I was able to confirm with her later in the evening after the performance (which was so cute) that indeed I didn't need a prepared lesson.

Meanwhile, I kept diligently trying to open up that book and finally EUREKA got it through various Apps to be able to open it. I had to pat myself on the back because I am not computer savvy in any way, so to work out a problem like this was a major achievement for me.  I'll be reviewing the book soon when I finish it, along with my thoughts about reading a book on a tablet.

We got back from the play around 9:45 Saturday night. We fed and shot Koda and then I knew it was time to write the goodbye letter.  Yes I cried through it, but I always cry, LOL. Saying goodbye was hard, but aren't goodbyes always hard even if you know its a good thing?

So it took me about 24 hours to get the things done, but I got them done.

And what did I do Sunday afternoon? Took a 1-1/2 hour nap. And that sure did feel good.......

34 comments:

susie said...

You're just a baby. You could be my sister!

TARYTERRE said...

"Mama said there would be days like this." Sounds like you did good. Especially handling the computer stuff. Farewell's are never easy, I know. But you muddled through and did what you had to do. GOOD FOR YOU.

MS said...

Mental tasks always seem to be more taxing and tiring to me than physical tasks. A different kind of tired perhaps. I'm glad you got the nap in....nothing better than a Sunday afternoon nap!
Mary @ The View from my World

lyndagrace said...

You seem to be a methodical and logical thinker. Those two qualities are important problem solving tools. Oh yes and confident. You were confident that you would be able to get everything done and you were right!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Afternoon naps are a wonderful thing and I missed out on mine this past weekend with 3 days of family activities to attend. I fell asleep early though at night and that made up for it. Trouble was i was in my chair and not in bed. Saying good bye is not easy. I've done that a few times too..the good thing is that there are many other ways to keep in touch.

Pat Hatt said...

A nap can rejuvenate indeed. Glad all got done at your feed, seems they got done when they were supposed to get done.

Pat Hatt said...

A nap can rejuvenate indeed. Glad all got done at your feed, seems they got done when they were supposed to get done.

Hollie said...

Good byes are indeed hard!! I do love my naps!! Good job on figuring out how to open the book. I have problems when it comes to things like that too!!

jack69 said...

ahhhhh the feeling of accomplishment when the 'list' is complete and one can rest.

You are such a softee...........

NOT A BAD THING MY DEAR, not a bad thing at all.

(I did gulp a little at the: "We fed and SHOT Koda." (smile!) Yeah I know....LOL

Bijoux said...

I'm glad you were able to get everything accomplished. And you are not old!

Stephanie Faris said...

It all works out in the end--and isn't it a relief once it's over? I love that feeling of just resting, knowing the stress is behind you!

Jeanie said...

Fun to hear how it all turned out and I'm glad it turned out well. The thing that struck me most was 2 1/2 hours of grocery shopping since I am not a big fan of grocery shopping.

Linda said...

Funny, after reading Psalm 91, I was thinking paint a heart on rocks, and add "God loves me," and then remembered it was for 3-4 year olds. Oh my, would have been more than a "brief hiccup" to me. Enjoy your fun project/lesson next week!

Rain held off until today. I'd love for you to have some though.

Great that your son is a such a good cook.

Great technological accomplishment! Looking forward to your e-book review. I finally finished "The Prodigal God."

Refreshed and ready to go again!

Shelly said...

You are just hitting your stride! And those Sunday afternoon naps are truly wonderful.

Cindi said...

not computer savvy???? please gurl ur as savvy as they come, what u call a hiccup..I would call, Well, I had a good idea, but I have no idea how to complete this task...Oi vey...lol Good going a nap well deserved! (((hugs)))

Joanne Noragon said...

My mother used to day of busy days, We're cracking the eggs with a stick.

Kat said...

Haha! See how it all works out? I love that. Eventually things just fall into place.
Glad it all got done and you were able to relax and enjoy the next day. :)

Birgit said...

A very very busy day but you accomplished so much. I had to read twice though that you fed and shot Koda-lol-I figure Koda needs an antibiotic:) I am trying to recall from your previous blog. Glad you had a restful Sunday

Sharon said...

Ah, so even procrastinators get the job done...eventually!!

And Betty, you can still take a nap and it doesn't affect your sleep that night?? Lucky you. If I doze off during the day at all, I'm up for hours that night.

Maybe I just have particularly touchy circadian rhythms.

GOD BLESS!

The Brown Recluse said...

I love a Sunday nap!

I am certain I would not be a good Sunday School teacher to little ones. I do remember, though, when I was little I loved stickers. I had a sticker collection before it was cool to have it. If it came with a sticker on it, I had it...on the side of my dresser, lots of stickers!

Ole Boy got me a Kindle for Christmas, and I LOVE it. I recommend it..you'd love it!

Sorry that your friend is leaving...no matter what how much it's a good move for them, goodbye is never easy.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad everything turned out and the nap sounds wonderful!
Debby

yaya said...

Isn't it funny how things just happen to turn out OK when the Lord is involved in the plans? You deserved that sweet nap after all that planning and work! Teaching that age group can be a challenge but you seem to have it all together. Have a good week!

Chatty Crone said...

Perseverance - that is what you have - to keep trying to download something - I would have given up. And you even got the potato salad done. I am sorry you are losing a good friend - even when they are going to something better. sandie

Mevely317 said...

You are a clever planner!
I don't know that I'd have had the patience to keep at that download.... I'm anxious to hear how you like reading on a tablet!

Aren't naps the best? Definitely one of my guilty pleasures!

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Way to go, girl! You are a smart cookie to take the nap you needed. Always take care of yourself in the mix. - Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Veronica Lee said...

An afternoon nap is an instant vacation! So glad you were able to get everything accomplished.

Happy Thursday, Betty!

Intense Guy said...

:)

I enjoyed my nap yesterday. It was a busy weekend - that's for sure!

Liz A. said...

Glad you got everything finished. It always seems like a lot before you get started, but then when you get into it, it's nice when some things fall away.

Jerralea said...

Congrats on accomplishing your list of goals!

I'm a huge fan of Sunday afternoon naps. So glad you got to enjoy one!

Sean @ His And Her Hobbies said...

Glad you got everything done. Glad you got a nap. You deserved it!

Sean at His and Her Hobbies

JosephAlsarraf said...

Good for you!

I am not good with apps either.....

: )

Juli said...

I'm 39 years old.

I'm impressed that you can stay up until 10. I barely make it to 915.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

You know, Betty. Things just get done sooner or later, don't they! What a trouper you are!

Mary said...

I hate goodbyes. Glad you got the book figured out! I love reading books on my tablet, but there are times when I have to actually hold 1 in my hand and turn the pages!