a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, December 13, 2013

What is a corgi to do?

I don't know how this happened, but our back yard has been invaded by a cat family and lately a young possum.  Its causing all sorts of stress and concern on Koda and he is ever vigilant by the back sliding glass door, always on watch for a glimpse of an invader.

The house behind us must have several cats because I've seen kittens of various sizes over this past year.  They like to roam our back yard and they are very astute to know exactly where to perch themselves on our bank out of the corgi's reach. 

There is a brave gray one that ventures out among unsafe areas (i.e. within Koda's access).  Often behind it is his white furred sister. Though I don't know for sure the sexes of the cats, I'm thinking the gray one, being adventurous, is a male and the one that tags along is a female. Though I could be terribly wrong with my stereotypes.

We have had the occasional stray cat or two or three roam across our back yard and when they happened in the past and I saw them, I would send Koda outside to chase them away. Usually when they saw/heard him they would quickly scamper away. 

With the kittens, I don't send Koda outside right away as I'm not sure they are savvy enough to know how to escape and I really don't want a battle between cat and dog in our back yard (and I'm not sure Koda would be winner).  So I wait until they are out of harm's way then send Koda.

Three nights ago Koda was intent on looking at something on the back patio area, moving around our blinds we had by the sliding glass door, tracking something.  Finally hubby got a glimpse of what he figured was a possum.  We've had baby possums before in that area.  I caught a glimpse of it again 2 nights ago which means the dog is on his leash when he goes outside at night to take care of business.  Last night it just brazenly was sitting on the grass in the back yard looking towards the sliding glass door.  Koda was looking out right at it but it wasn't moving so he didn't track it.  When I put his leash on to take him out to try to scare the possum away, the possum sort of meandered away.   So far tonight Koda must have seen it, because he started barking his angry "my yard is being violated" bark but I couldn't see anything. 

I'm hoping the possum will find another place to make its home so Koda can have the freedom of his back yard again.

In the meantime, what is a corgi to do? Just too busy patrolling and keeping track of who is or who isn't in his yard.

I think he's so focused he almost forgets about food, almost that is. The rustle of the cheese bag still brings his attention back to the kitchen area.

I just hope the raccoon doesn't come back.

19 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Raccoons and possums can be mean. I would keep Koda out of harm's way until they leave.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sounds like you have one too many critters trying to share your space. Poor Koda has his hands full trying to protect his home from invaders.

Jeanie said...

Aww, Koda has his quite a job keeping your yard safe from all those critters. You are smart to make sure he doesn't tangle with them.

jack69 said...

Neat story, I like your interpretations of what your animal kingdom 'thinks'. Good story, and if he was given a chance to corner one, I am sure Koda would end up with some nasty scratches, but would end up running the critters off, but at a little cost to his nose...

LOVE from this side of the country!!

Intense Guy said...

Koda needs a patrol partner!!

:)

Pat Hatt said...

He needs to get a sign that says no others animals allowed lol

Dana said...

LOL I like Pat's idea! :)

Bijoux said...

He would be barking non-stop here. There's always chipmunks, squirrels or deer (and now turkeys) all over the yard. I have seen some oppossoms at night and they certainly have beady eyes, don't they??

Sharon said...

Raccoons and possums can be such pests. And, unfortunately, I'm not a big cat fan either.

Poor Koda.

There have been times when something has Marty hyper-vigilant, and he just gets so tired!

Maybe Koda could dress up like one of those guys from animal control???

Best of luck. And keep the cheese bag rustling...

xo

Joanne Noragon said...

It's a tough call, isn't it. I agree with your sympathy for the kittens. Your stereotypes may not work, though. My best cat ever was an adventurous female black and white kitten who marched right under the fence where she was scheduled to be dog bait and into my mother's house. She (the cat) tried to save her siblings, but they came and then went back, afraid to go into the house.
Anyway, possums are really stupid.

Linda said...

That is odd with your recent invasion. My mom though, woods behind her, puts out food for feral cats and gets all kinds of visitors who surprising all get along.

Hope Koda gets his territory back soon!

Kat said...

We had a possum in our yard and I couldn't believe how huge it was. And ugly. Dang those things are ugly. And mean. My husband went to chase it away and it just sat there and hissed at him. We didn't want to send Molly out there because, like I said, they are mean, and who knows what would happen there. Luckily we haven't seen it back. You'd think with all the dogs in our neighborhood (I think there are 13 just between us and our 7 neighbors) the possums would stay away.
Hope your sweet Koda gets his yard back SOON! :)

netablogs said...

I'd be cautious about letting Koda out alone, too. Better to be on the safe side! We've had deer problems in our city..I remember that a little dog was stomped to death in its own back yard, when let out at night alone. Yikes!

Chatty Crone said...

You are right you have to be careful that he doesn't get hurt from one of those! Gosh Betty - it is his backyard - tell them to go away!

sandie

JosephAlsarraf said...

I don't know, is there any way to block the invaders? Are there any holes, or things in your back yard that is attracting the animals? Try and maybe look up opossums and see if maybe there is a reason why they keep coming back to your yard.

The cats....I don't know what to do about a wandering cat.

I hope you find a solution!
: )

Secret Agent Woman said...

Ooh - possums have mighty sharp teeth!

Mary said...

Oh, poor Koda! Hopefully it will go away soon so he can have some peace!

Blondee said...

We've had our share of possum. They tend to stay wherever there is an easy meal. Hope they move on.

Merry Christmas, Betty!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You know possums many years ago in our other house brought fleas with them. It was our first ever experience with fleas. Funny story, anyway the rule in our house is after dark Skye is on a leash in the yard. We have too many creatures who lurk around in the night and I like her within reach! Debby