a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

good news, better news, two things smarter than me news

Short and sweet:

Good news; a move to a northern cold frigid climate is not in our immediate future; hubby didn't get offered the job.  Taking it as an answer to prayer.

Better news; my work schedule got changed today. I worked this stupid schedule (that I had set up five years ago so I have no one to blame but myself) that I worked Monday through Thursday 8:30 to 5 p.m., half days on Friday and Saturday mornings.  It worked at the time but after we moved down here and started going to church Sunday mornings (as opposed to Saturday nights) I grew to not like the schedule as much. I could not get out of the schedule (until today) unless I went to a Sunday to Thursday schedule or a Tuesday to Saturday schedule. I obviously didn't want to work on Sundays and I knew the minute I took the Tuesday to Saturday schedule hubby would get a job that had him working the traditional Monday to Friday schedule so didn't want to take that risk. So I "put up with it". Until today. Seems like we are short staffed Fridays. My supervisor called and asked if I minded giving up my Saturday hours and work all day Friday. DID I MIND??? Heck no! I was more than happy to get back on the traditional work week! I start this week. I'm thrilled. Taking it as an answer to prayer and a God thing indeed!

Two things smarter than me news:  Now in our household there are two things smarter than me.  Koda and this past weekend hubby and me finally got smart phones. We might be the last people on the planet that have done so. I hadn't upgraded my previous phone in six years, him in five years. My phone was so old the Verizon store we went to didn't have the cable to be able to transfer my contacts from one phone to another.  Which was okay because I only have six contacts (I don't use my cell phone much). Its been an adventure to learn the new phone. (I'm still learning). I keep missing texts because I don't hear them coming in like I did on my other phone, got to read the book on how to change the volume on the phone. Good news is I have learned how to make a call on it and how to pick up a call that comes in.

So that's our news this week. Anybody else have any news to share?

25 comments:

Sharon said...

Congrats on the new schedule!! And yes, I'm taking the non-offer as an answer to prayer, too.

OK, odd thing - I just got a new phone, too. Next Monday I'm posting about it - and a little something about God that I thought of because of it.

And yup, Marty probably outweighs me in the IQ department. At least he knows how to get what he wants out of me!!

xo

TARYTERRE said...

Congrats on the new phone. ENJOY! Happy for you and your new schedule for work. Only news here is we got 9 inches of snow in the past week and expecting more today. I'm miserable.

Bijoux said...

Glad the work situations worked out for you! You are not last, as I dont have a smartphone. I love the phone I have, so really don't want to switch.

Dana said...

Congrats on your new schedule! What a relief that must be. :)

Pat Hatt said...

haha those phones can do a lot and will take some getting used to. No cold too, whoa ho

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Isn't it amazing how the good Lord works things out. Glad you have such good news this week to share. I have had my phone now a few years and love it. I get my email on it and have my calendar right handy all the time I even put my shopping list on it. It does a whole lot more than a phone would. Of course I do use the phone too, but love all the other stuff it does too. Oh it gives out weather alerts too. I'd be lost without it now.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you have so many good things going on. I know you are happy to stay where you live now and congrats on the new job schedule.
My smart phone is definitely smarter than I am. I have had it a long time and there is still a lot I don't know about it. We just got a new "smart" TV so I have a new learning challenge ahead of me.

Linda said...

Glad to hear you don't need to move. And your new hours, I'm thrilled for you! Have fun with your new phone, maybe even try a "selfie."

I'm going for the honors "last person on planet without a cell `phone."

Intense Guy said...

Ah, happiness is a compatible schedule!

:)

I hate my cellphone. I want to go off the grid totally... well except for blogs... and WWF... and some lite internet browsing...

jack69 said...

I love it when good news just fits right in. Good news makes me smile even if it is not me. Glad you got a schedule you prefer.
The smart phone? Funny that. OUr son went with us for our Verizon upgrade. We have always had two phones. WE DO NOT NEED THEM anymore, since I cannot use one. Now Sherry had TWO smart phones to figure out. She is doing well and I know you will.
Love from the other coast.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm happy for you, too, about not getting the job. It is cold here. It is snowing here. No change in sight. Stay in southern California and be warm and happy!

Lynda said...

Go on the internet or u-tube and google your phone for tutorials. That is how I learned to use mine. Learn one or two new things a day and you will be super smart before you know it! You will LOVE the new phone once you get used to it.

Karen said...

Great about the work schedule change! And I still don't have a smart phone. :-)

Funny in My Mind said...

I'm glad you don't have to move from a warm climate (that you are aclimated to now) back to a freezing one. I am glad you changed your work days.
My news is good and not so good. My eldest son is back. I know he is safe and warm and alive. He has some issues, no job and still has no interest in following our rules but his safety has taken a load off my mind.
The youngest is home for a month and my fridge is stocked and Christmas will be much merrier. I still don't know what the future holds but that is for later, right?

SweetMarie said...

Happy that you're getting answers and your happier with your new schedule. My mom doesn't have a smart phone and our son teases her. LOL
Happy holidays!
Marie

Carol Noren Johnson said...

I have had my iPhone for over a year and find that texting is so valuable.

Sometimes I teach a class on Saturdays, and it is fun to teach, but messes with the rhythm of life. Congratulations on a better schedule.

Juli said...

I had surgery on my noggin... doesn't appear cancerous, so that's a plus. :) OH, and I fell on my butt delivering packages in the ice an snow... thankfully I have a lot of padding back there.

PS My smart phone will always be smarter than me. Right now I'm at the car dealership, praying no one calls me because the car is on the lift and my phone is synced to the blue tooth, which means that the mechanic can hear my conversation. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy to hear your not moving although getting out of CA is a plan we hope to follow someday. So happy to hear about your work hours changing....good for you. Way to go on the smart phones. You will love it once you get going. (Amber doesn't have one!) I got mine close to two years ago and I love it. I can do anything I do on my computer on the phone only I prefer the computer because of it's size but it's perfect when I travel. Debby

JosephAlsarraf said...

That's good! I'm glad you got your work schedule changed back to a normal work week!

I had something similar to a smartphone, but it was actually a mp 3 player. I just use a regular phone. I had thought about getting a smartphone, but the usage didn't out way the costs, so I just use a regular phone. It does have some capabilities, but not much. Smart phones are a little hard to get used to after using a regular phone for so long, but they will be easy to use once you learn how, glad you are keeping up with the times!

Nothing exciting really, I did turn 24 this past Saturday!
: )

River said...

It's nice when things fall into place.
I don't have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one. I don't need a phone that does everything but wash the dishes. I'll stick with my old flip phone that makes and takes calls and texts, that's enough for me. I have the laptop for everything else.

LynnMarie said...

My live is on my cell phone and I get to work from home because my job is on my cell phone. You will love it as soon as you figure it out.
Happy to hear you are not moving out of warm CA. I live in the north and baby it's cold up here!!

Kat said...

Fabulous news all around! Congratulations!

I guess I am now the last person on earth without a smart phone. Ah well. ;)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Great news on the new schedule. And you'll learn how to use the smart phone soon enough.

mare ball said...

you're smarter than me to even WANT a smart phone! I can't figure out my regular cell phone half the time. So glad some work changes came through that were to your liking. It's so nice when blessings just come your way! Hope the New Year is good to you, girl!

Marianne said...

I was old school with my phone until last year, but must say...smart phones are pretty awesome!