a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Winter Garden

 
 
This is sort of a book review, though I didn't get any compensation (i.e. free book for reading it and reviewing it on my blog).

This book compelled me to read it pretty much straight (except for that pesky time I had to work), all 390 pages of it, in roughly 48 hours. 

This book almost had me burn down the house the other night.  I had set a pot of potatoes on the stove to cook to make potato salad.  I got the eggs off the stove when they were done, checked the potatoes, knew they needed more time so I sat down and kept reading the book and next thing I knew I heard a sizzle sound and then I thought "oh......." (insert just a little profane word) and then remembered the potatoes.

There was no more water in the pot.  It had all cooked out.  The potatoes were stuck to the pot (I was surprised it cleaned up that well, I thought the pot was ruined). I tasted the potatoes.  They definitely tasted burnt so I had to start all over again.  The next batch got cooked in the microwave after that.

I had read several other books authored by Kristin Hannah including True Colors, Firefly Lane, and my favorite (before Winter Garden) Night Road

She captures you almost immediately with her story telling and doesn't let you go until the final pages where you wished there was more of the story.

Winter Garden did captivate me in such a way . I didn't even play any games on Facebook Sunday night but went to bed to read before I was tired to go to sleep.  I was thankful I had Saturday night home alone to read (and burn potatoes).

It is a compelling story. Spell bounding.  Unexpected ending, but one that made you wonder and think.  A little trite, but still well written.  Click on the link above under Winter Garden for a description of the book.  I wouldn't be able to do it justice to try to explain the plot without giving away anything of it.  It was really good though. 

If you are looking for a new author to read and enjoy, definitely check out Kristin Hannah. You won't be disappointed.  (Just don't have anything cooking on the stove when you do so).

24 comments:

LynnMarie said...

Always like to hear about a good book, thanks.

Bijoux said...

I've read three of her books, including Winter Garden. She's a very good writer, but I find the books to be a bit depressing. The tragedy and then the characters (usually a parent) who are just not nice make it a downer for me. I wonder if she had a difficult childhood?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have read other books written by this author and they have been good. Glad you had more potatoes to cook up...I hate it when I do something like that. The burnt smell is not nice at all.

Shelly said...

Now that sounds like a book I need to read. So glad the potato incident wasn't any worse. Thanks for letting us know about Winter Garden~

Pat Hatt said...

No Facebook games and almost burning down the house? lol must be a good one

Renegades said...

Books to me are good when you get so caught up in them you forget the other things you are doing while reading.

Jeanie said...

I've read a couple of her books, though I have to admit I can't remember them well right now. I do love finding a book that is so good that I can't put it down. I'll remember not to cook when I am reading this one. :)

jack69 said...

I love a book that grabs you from the first line. You have a way of describing that is itself captivating. Good review. OOPS! about the potatoes.

Love ya!!!

Linda said...

Hate that burnt taste, not being able to just cut out "overcooked" part. (Once set the wrong time baking bread, glanced at rise time instead of bake time.) Captivating plot and cool careers. Always nice to hear about your good reads.

Dana said...

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a great book. I think the cover is really beautiful. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I just put it in my Amazon cart! Thanks for the great review.
Debby

Robyn :) said...

I've read Firefly Lane and Night Road. I do like this author.

TARYTERRE said...

I have a copy sitting in my kindle bookshelf. But I never got around to reading it. Sounds interesting, though. Glad you were able to make your potatoes.

Mevely317 said...

I was just mentioning to Carol (Buttercup Counts her Blessings) how I appreciate book reviews ... fleshing out the storyline, so to speak.
I'm naturally reluctant to venture outside "my" authors comfort level ... but have been pleasantly surprised by acting on friends' recommendations. This sounds like a good fit!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's wondfullly when you find a good read that takes you away from other things, except when cooking. I have never read anything by Her, but will check out the library's offerings this week. Thanks for the recommendation, Betty.

JosephAlsarraf said...

LOL, it must have been a good book! I'll have to put in on my list! Sorry about your potatoes, i'm glad that you didn't burn your house down! : )

Unknown said...

I love a book that keeps me that enthralled.

SweetMarie said...

sounds good. I've done something similar with potatoes. lol We love potato salad. :)

Marianne said...

A book that almost burns down the house?? Sounds like a good one!

Kat said...

Yay! I'm always looking for a good book and this sounds like just the ticket. Thank you! :)

Jen Forbes said...

I envy you that you can be so engrossed in a book that you can burn your potatoes!! I just can't concentrate anymore at least not since the kids accident and I miss that type of reading that I used to enjoy so very much. one of these days Betty!! I'm hopeful :)

Danielle L Zecher said...

I thought this book was really good too. A few of her books just haven't done it for me, but this one definitely did.

Glad your potato incident wasn't any worse. Don't you hate it when pesky day to day stuff interferes with reading time? I've been known to make crock pot meals when I'm really into a book just so I can have more time to read.

Intense Guy said...

Wow, that must be one awesomely good book!

It is so nice to "escape" into a well written story isn't it? :)

The Brown Recluse said...

I wish I was a better reader. I have stacks of books...most have been started, few finished.