a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, November 4, 2013

this was not the post I was originally going to write

I was originally going to write a post about something going on at my work place where I'm going to have to be mentored a bit because I excessively use my computer mouse where they would rather have me do the editing work strictly hands on my keyboard (they say we're more productive that way, I just don't like having to learn new things at my age, the old adage can't teach an old dog new tricks) but then something happened today.

Something not out of the ordinary, but just made me focus on something different, something better, something to be thankful for.

I was looking in our cupboards today trying to find room to put some things I had purchased for a ministry I'm sort of doing.  I don't like my counters cluttered and they were looking a bit cluttered so I wanted to see if I could move some things around and store things in the cupboards.

And I couldn't.  Because there was no room.

Because I had FOOD and lots of FOOD there.  Canned soups, rice and noodle mixes, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, etc, etc, etc, etc. 

I just looked at it all and I said "oh my gosh, I am truly blessed" and I said "thank you Lord."

Suddenly that thing I was so upset about with the mouse and work took a back seat and I was just humbled on how blessed I am and how God has provided for me and those I love.

And then I sat down to a dinner of


                                  shrimp wrapped in bacon

 
 
barbecued corn on the cob
 
 
 
twice baked potatoes
 
 
                                                                 coleslaw

                                       
                           smoked pulled pork with BBQ sauce served with small rolls

 
                                          
                                                           smoked salmon

and I knew I had nothing really to complain about and that I was very grateful I had a job.  So thank you Lord for the provisions and protection you have given and done for my family.

(We recently have been experimenting with smoking meat, which is absolutely delicious, I'm blessed to have people that live in the same house as me that love to cook and are good at cooking).

(We don't usually make this much food, LOL, we are experimenting with this and that and when we do, we tend to make lots of food that we have for leftovers and we also tend to share with others in our neighborhood and others elsewhere with the blessings God has given us :)

(and for the record, we had two trick or treaters the other night, and lots of candy left over)

(and I'm thrilled to report that the guy from the park that went to our church last weekend for the first time came back again today, thank you Lord!)

(I think that park is going to be a ministry place for me, but that's another story for another day..........)

33 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

All that food looked delicious. Made me hungry. You are blessed, indeed. me too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You really did have quite a feast there. It all looks wonderful. I agree, it is amazing when you count your blessings how much better you feel.

Shelly said...

How wonderful to give pause and thanks for all your blessings. It's a wonderful change in perspective. And that food surely looks good!

Bijoux said...

Your meal looks delightful!

The computer thing is so funny because I remember when we first got our home computer, I HATED using the mouse. I wanted to go back to the old days (college and work) when you used the keyboard for everything. Sooooo....I guess everything old is new again?

Linda said...

Wonderful sentiment. I've got a ceramic tile- "There's always, always, always, something to be thankful for." Glad the family is enjoying the smoker and ministry.

Mmmmmmmmm, pulled pork and twice baked potatoes!!!

Good luck with the mouse/change.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can't get the hang of mouseless computers, either. But, I don't try very hard.

The Brown Recluse said...

...and you didn't invite me! Yummers! Ole Boy and I talk about getting a smoker, and we really should...we may even eat at home more, if we did.

I agree, I'm very, very blessed, too.

I wonder why they think hands vs keyboard is better...and I wonder why they even would have thought about that. Doesn't each person have their own style..and how would they know if you use a mouse or your hands?

Glad the park guy came back to church...I can't wait to hear the reports of your park ministry.

jack69 said...

I love it when I get side tracked by my blessings. You have done well, this is a timely entry. We got a pleasant surprise. A knock on our door. NEVER HAPPENS ON THE ROAD, it was son #2. Just happened to pass our camp ground.(Hundreds of miles from home) He is 'Scraping' his way north. He has our granddog MJ for company. I get to slip a poem I copied from Ma's blog into his suitcase. Real talking ended a couple years ago, but the visit is pleasant. BUT I am thankful he is healthy.. He has No insurance.

Renegades said...

The shrimp looks delicious. Sometimes I think we all need the reminder of how blessed we are.

Jeanie said...

What a good story and lesson, Betty. Focusing on the positive things is something I try not to forget, but it is always good to have a reminder.
I hope the re-training goes well for you.

Dana said...

Yum! That all looks delicious!

Thanks for the reminder to realize how blessed we really are. Happy Monday. ☺

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

Oh my goodness Betty-- First off about work, I don't understand bosses, if a worker does thier job, it should not matter how in the world it gets done..stop trying to change things...

Secondly: That shrimp looks AWESOME! I can smell it cooking in my house right now. I did pulled pork saturday night. And we always BBQ our corn on the cob, so much yummehier that way..

Enjoy your day!

Melanie said...

Oh my, all that food is making me hungry!!
I only had two trick-or-treaters too. Thankfully, others in the house have been eating the leftover candy. I've only had a couple. :-)

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness, that food looked delicious!

And yes, we are tremendously blessed. I know I too easily forget that fact. The Lord's provision for us is bountiful.

Praise the Lord about the guy you met in the park! That is so wonderful. Yes, God's *mission field* can be anywhere!!

GOD BLESS!

(Hmmm...leftover candy...)

Pat Hatt said...

Wow you must have been full forever after that haha learning something new isn't always a bad thing either

SweetMarie said...

I'm so happy the guy returned to your church. :)
This meal looks delicious! I have two recipe request, the twice baked potatoes and the pulled pork. :) will you dare to share your cooking secrets. lol
You're blessed and we're blessed. :)
hugs,
Marie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How awesome to be overcome with God's love and provisions for you. Sweet post and I love leftovers. I think it's a smart way to cook! Also it all looks very delicious.....
Debby

Big Mark 243 said...

It is easy to forget how fortunate we all are ... being grateful sometimes gets lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday life... it is good to pause and consider how blessed we are and continue to be, and being sincerely thankful for our lives...

Aneta said...

Yum!! Yes, we are blessed!! When I start compaining about not having room for what I own (food, dishes, clothes, etc.), that's a clue that my focus is wrong! ;)
Looking forward to hearing more about your park ministry. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Betty you acre so right that sometimes the little things annoy us the most. I use the mouse when on my desktop PC, but when we are traveling and I have my Macbook Air, which does have a mouse, I tend not to use it as much. I am not entirely certain that people are MORE productive in not using a mouse, but suppose it depends on the type of work they are doing.
Yes, most of us are truly more blessed than we know and all your food looked delicious.

Hollie said...

Truly blessed indeed!! Everything looks delish!! I'm glad the guy came back to church!!

Mevely317 said...

Good grief! I went through the sam darn thing a number of years ago re. proper use of the mouse. Methinks "some people" need to get a life!!! (So, I smiled and nodded, then went right back to doing as I'd done before.)

Your array of food looks amazing! Since I've a shell-fish allergy, may I please have seconds on the smoked salmon? lol.

You are, indeed, blessed!

(and BTW, thanks for the update on your park friend!)

Myra

Mevely317 said...

Good grief! I went through the sam darn thing a number of years ago re. proper use of the mouse. Methinks "some people" need to get a life!!! (So, I smiled and nodded, then went right back to doing as I'd done before.)

Your array of food looks amazing! Since I've a shell-fish allergy, may I please have seconds on the smoked salmon? lol.

You are, indeed, blessed!

(and BTW, thanks for the update on your park friend!)

Myra

Danielle L Zecher said...

Oh my goodness, your dinner looks good! What a great post. Sometimes we need to be reminded to be thankful for something as simple as having enough food.

Chatty Crone said...

That food looked terrific!!! And I believe you have enough food for a week or two. That is kind of a good idea to do it that way then you don't have to cook very night.

sandie

salemslot9 said...

mmm, salmon :P

LynnMarie said...

Yes we are blessed with so many things and never think of them as blessings. I'm so glad you saw it and remembered who to thank for them.

Jen Forbes said...

Oh my goodness Betty what a feast! You're quite the cook :)

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Oh my !!! It all looks so delicious! Blessed, is right!

JosephAlsarraf said...

Wow, lots of food, they looked delicious!

I'm glad that your gratefulness for all your blessings made you not upset and thankful for all you have.

I'm sorry that your having trouble learning new things at work. I don't like it when websites change their layout to a new one and it is more difficult to find things than the old one. I just had a recent experience with a gaming site that I usually go to and had trouble find things on it. I hope you can learn that new mouse trick and that it makes you more efficient! : )

Marianne said...

Great. Now I'm STARVING. And I totally want bacon.

Kat said...

What a wonderful, wonderful post. Thank you for that. Such a good reminder.

And that shrimp looks divine!!!

Intense Guy said...

Ah, you have several of the actually, very few things a human being needs... food, shelter, and reason to feel good about yourself.

:) I am finally home - the nightmare road trip is over.