a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving grocery shopping

As it always seemed to happen, no matter how well we tried to prevent it, we ended up having to go to the grocery store on Thanksgiving for something we needed for dinner.  Mind you, this was after Tuesday when hubby had done the shopping for our meal and then another trip on Wednesday when we realized there were a few things we forgot. So obviously we didn't do well in our planning and found we needed a couple more things, incidentals, but essential incidentals.

So when hubby was at the store on Tuesday, it was heavier business than usual.  Wednesday the same.  I drove by the store last night after walking Koda and the parking lot was packed.  To be expected, right? The night before Thanksgiving.

What was not expected was how crowded it was this afternoon when we went.  We had taken Koda for our usual car ride and then left him in the car when we went into the store (not a super warm day, we are careful to make sure it is under 70 degrees outside if we are going to leave him and we leave the windows opened a bit).  It was about 2 p.m.

The store was packed.  Busy. 

Whereas on "normal" days they have two or three cashier lanes opened, plus the self checkout lanes, today they had all the lanes open (at least seven including the four self checkout lanes).  People were buying and buying big.  I wonder what they would have done had the store not been opened and this was just one of the many that were opened within our city and I'm sure the other stores were similarly packed.

I'm a people watcher.  Love to watch people.  So of course as we were gathering up the few items we needed, I'm watching everyone around me.  Humor me, remember I work at home, I don't get out much, LOL.

My observations. 

The most crowded aisle?  I asked others that live here what they thought the most crowded would be.  They said turkey or where the stuffing was.  Nope. 

The alcohol aisle.

Lots of people were in the bakery section looking for rolls.

At the self checkout, I saw Cool Whip (which seemed like a natural thing people might forget on Thanksgiving).  I saw ingredients to make perhaps a Jello-O salad. 

But the funniest thing both me and hubby noticed was in the aisle where they have the cookware.  There were two men shopping looking at and buying one of those aluminium disposable pans for cooking a turkey.  Mind you, this is 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I happened to glance into their cart and saw the usual fixings, stuffing mix, a vegetable, things to make a salad, two 12-packs of beers.  Didn't see the turkey . But I'm thinking "if you are just going to start cooking a turkey at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, you aren't eating until late evening." I'm hopeful maybe it was for tomorrow?

How times have changed. I do remember the days when NOTHING was opened on Thanksgiving.  Now it seems EVERYTHING is. 

But for those of us that forget key items needed, I suppose it is a good thing.

I do hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I certainly did.

22 comments:

Bijoux said...

I feel so sorry for the workers. And now retailers like Target open on Thanksgiving night, so employees can't even relax during the day, knowing they have to be at work later.

Pat Hatt said...

Oh it can be nuts, lots of people forget or wait until the last minute

Intense Guy said...

A lot of folks don't seem to know how to plan ahead - It's really sad - perhaps today there is so little "actual" family togetherness that planning for it - just don't happen?

Carol Noren Johnson said...

The scene. 8 pm Thanksgiving here in Florida --the beginning of Black Friday. Long line at a sporting goods store. My sister-in-law, my husband and myself park ourselves at California Pizza Kitchen while my brother gets in that line. In maybe 45 minutes he is back with a new golf bag and golf shoes.

Dana said...

I had to send my husband to the store yesterday for sponge candy. (The baby was craving it! LOL) He said it wasn't too bad there—fewer people than he had expected. I had to laugh about your story of the men and their pan. :)

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jeanie said...

I noticed how packed the parking lot was at a grocery store I passed on the way to my daughter's for Thanksgiving yesterday. I was glad I didn't have to stop.
I laughed at you looking at what other people were buying....I do the same thing.

Robyn :) said...

I purposely save a few things for the day before because it is fun to shop then!! And one of those things was rolls lol. The store manager was even helping check out on Wednesday.

Kat said...

I went shopping on Wednesday afternoon as well. And like you I forgot a key ingredient and had to run out Thanksgiving morning (our grocers are only open until 2 p.m. or something, I believe). I forgot the Gorganzola for my green bean salad. Anyway, when I got home the hubby discovered that we didn't really have any wine so he ran out a little while after I did. Good grief!
Either way, it was a lovely Thanksgiving. I'm happy to hear that yours was as well! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

My shopping list seemed endless. We shopped last Friday and then I got everything else on Tuesday. Yes it sounds like those guys were going to have a late meal. Of course now we have a lot of leftovers beside some hummus and onion dip we never got around to eating! I am a people watcher too and the stores should not be open on Thanksgiving but I must admit I did one order online yesterday at Kohl's. Awesome deal I couldn't pass up.

Mevely317 said...

Another people-watcher ... I love it!
Your comment about the alcohol aisle made me laugh, Betty.

Were it possible, I think I'd do ALL my shopping on-line. Lucky, Tom does the grocery/sundry gathering, eh?

Hugs,
Myra

Shelly said...

At least you turned that trip into an adventure! So glad your Thanksgiving was great!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think when we know the stores aren't going to be open we plan ahead better. Anymore we don't have to, but I remember well the days that nothing was open on Sunday either. It's making every day the same with business going on as usual. I'm old fashioned I know, but a holiday to me should be just that.

Big Mark 243 said...

Glad you had a good holiday... the Lions won, so I had a pretty good one as well..!

JosephAlsarraf said...

Thanks, I had a great Thanksgiving!

Our grocery stores are always usually packed everyday. I don't know if they were pack on Thanksgiving, but I know that my mom needed to go buy some eggs because me and my dad had decided to have some for breakfast!
I am glad that the grocery stores were open on Thanksgiving because I was thinking "Uh-oh, what if the grocery stores aren't open!" When I realized that I had just eaten my moms eggs. : )

SweetMarie said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. :)
We had a wonderful, fun day. :)

Hollie said...

I enjoy people watching too!! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!

Linda said...

Glad it was a nice Thanksgiving all around!

Secret Agent Woman said...

It would have to be a really important ingredient to make me go into a grocery store on Thanksgiving. Or any store the day after!

Sharon said...

My husband and I were assigned a fruit salad to bring to the Thanksgiving dinner. Well, we didn't want to travel two hours with a bowl full of fruit - plus, it would get so watery and mushy. So yes, we braved the market on T-Day!

It wasn't so bad after all.

And yes, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving - so glad to hear that you did, too!

xo

Marianne said...

Sounds about right. I think I was in the liquor aisle right around 1 pm. Forgot my Bailey's! Hope you had a great day!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I don't usually people watch much, but I do around Thanksgiving. I like to try to figure out what people are making.

The Brown Recluse said...

I thought I had made it without going to the grocery store on Thanksgiving, but when I got to the family gathering, no one had brought drinks...so off I went! lolz

Alcohol for Thanksgiving? Who'da thunk it?

My mom uses her roaster to make the dressing...maybe these guys weren't going to do the turkey. You're right, if they were, they weren't eating until LATE!

I really think it's a shame that anything is opened on Thanksgiving, even the (hypocritically) I usually to to the grocery store every Thanksgiving! But I draw the line at Christmas shopping. I hate that anyone has to work on Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I noticed this Thanksgiving my family tended to linger longer afterwards, just visiting. We just never know when we won't be able to "just visit" any more.