a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

the ice cream fiasco

I like ice cream but I rarely eat ice cream because I'm always watching my calories.  I also don't like ice cream if it is a cool day outside, so if I'm going to eat ice cream, its going to be in the hot of summer. 

Well, confession time here.

A couple weeks ago, the night of that fight with Mayweather? So I guess two Saturdays ago?  Well, hubby was at a job where he helps out a friend of his who has a sound system run it, so he was gone for the majority of the afternoon and evening.  Son went next door to the neighbors to watch the fight. 

I was home alone (well sort of alone, Koda was here, but he pretty much ignores me and waits by the door for hubby, unless I go into the kitchen, and then he comes mooching for a snack.)

So, I was home alone.....and it was a warm evening so I thought I would get a bowl of ice cream.  We had Dreyer's Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream opened, so I scooped out a bowl full and started eating it.  Finished it and thought, "geesh, that was really good, I'm going to get some more."  So I went back into the kitchen and started eating directly from the carton (bad idea). 

Before I know it, I had eaten most of the carton.  I won't say how full it was when I started, but let me just say it was more full than empty and now it was more empty than full. 

I thought "oh my God, how am I going to explain that I ate this much" especially since I'm always watching my calories.....

So I put the ice cream away and go to bed and all night (I swear its true), I'm thinking "I got to make this right. I can't let hubby or son know I ate this much ice cream".  So I thought "I'll go to the store after I walk Koda in the morning and get another carton and scoop out how much had already been eaten and just throw away the carton that I had eaten almost to the bottom and no one will ever know."  That seemed a reasonable option, so the next morning I get up, shower, get Koda for a walk and stop at the local grocery store.....

Only to find out they didn't have that flavor of ice cream.  I briefly thought about going to another store to find it, but then decided to come clean.

As an atonement, I bought another carton of ice cream, one of the favorites they both liked, and then a few donuts for them for the morning breakfast. 

And when I came home I told them both the truth.  They just laughed.

Later in the week I did get another carton of Mocha Almond Fudge to replace that one.

And now I think their ice cream stash is safe, at least until next summer, since the weather is starting to cool down a bit.

It did feel good to tell the truth, but I have to say I was just a bit tempted not to and to cover my tracks.......

so are you an ice cream eater?

28 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I like ice cream. But I really love sorbet. I've been known to polish off part of a cartoon too.

Sharon said...

Am I an ice cream eater? NOT OFTEN ENOUGH!! I have found a less-guilty pleasure, though. I buy these ice cream sandwiches made by Skinny Cow - with chocolate mint ice cream. Only 140 calories per sandwich! So, even if I eat two, I'm still not feeling too bad!!

However, my all-time favorite indulgence used to be something called a Banana Royale from Baskin-Robbins. Two scoops of ice cream (my choices: Rocky Road and Mint Chocolate Chip), a sliced banana, hot fudge, and nuts. It's only like 10,000 calories or something. Haven't had one in years...hmmm.

Maybe next visit *off the hill*???

;-)

Sharon said...

I'm not quite sure what happened to my winky-face - ha!

Michelle said...

I could make ice cream a meal!

Bijoux said...

I'm one of those odd people that dislike ice cream. I think I ate it so much as a kid, I got sick of it. When we take the kids out for ice cream, I just sit there because I don't like milkshakes or anything else they sell.

Joanne Noragon said...

Mocha almond fudge sounds good, but mocha pecan fudge would be exquisite. If I opened a pint, I would eat it straight down. If I opened a quart, ditto. I think half a gallon would defeat me.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do like Ice cream and usually only have some handy if there has been a birthday in the family. Just recently I had a big bowl of ice cream for dinner. No one else is here to see me do such things, but that was a rare exception for me. I had been reading a book that was talking about an ice cream sundae and suddenly it sounded too good to pass up. I do like it better in the summer too. There is just a little left in the carton, I'll eat it but wait for a warmer day here.

Renegades said...

If it is schwan's ice cream I don't seem to have a whoa to stop eating it. The problem is their is no way to cover up when I eat to much. Schwan's delivers from a truck.

Jeanie said...

Oh yes, I do like ice cream, but like you I try to avoid it. I am not always successful with that. :)
Dodger likes ice cream also...at least the doggy version. We get "Frosty Paws", an ice cream treat for dogs, for him as a special treat every once in a while.

Intense Guy said...

I used to overeat ice cream. It was a sign of an eating disorder, boredom, and feeling alone. It was also bad for the weight and blood sugar. I've not had a hankering for awhile - hopefully it means I am feeling better - about myself and overall. The local brand, Bryers vanilla (or vanilla fudge) was sheer indulgence (and gastronomic heaven!)

The truth is always best, I guess. Your family reacted in a "loving" way. Now to figure something out... that saying "Moderation in Everything"? Does moderating "binges" (i.e., only having them infrequently) count as "moderation"? :)

Pat Hatt said...

Wow you went right to town on that carton it sounds like haha once in a while won't hurt. Don't touch the stuff at my sea, blah to anything dairy.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's too funny! I use to eat a lot of ice cream but haven't in years but every once in a blue moon I will get a little one a devour it.

Linda :) said...

Love ice cream! with caramel sauce... I had an ice cream drum stick the other day and it was so good.... I think there are more in the freezer... we always have ice cream in the freezer for son3... I've never eaten a carton of ice cream but I'm sure there are bags of chips or chex mix that I have polished off all by myself... :)

Blondee said...

Girl, life is short...don't feel guilty about a splurge once in a while!! No one dies wishing they hadn't eaten that Mocha Almond Fudge!

Good job on owning, it. The truth is always the answer, even if it feels like it isn't at times. Saving face isn't as important as saving your grace. ;)

The Brown Recluse said...

Well, first I have to say I wouldn't worry about eating their stash... lol (and I mean that with all my heart!) I go though "spells" when I just love ice cream...then other times I can take it or leave it. Since I'm low-carbing it these days, I'm doing more "leaving it."

rmslil said...

Ice cream rarely tempts me. I have to be in the mood or craving it. If I am at home and want it , I only eat a little because I get tired of my cat being in my face to eat it too.

jack69 said...

Not much any more. We used to eat a bowl of vanilla with Hershey's syrup every night. But that stopped after we retired, PLUS in the motor home the refer keep is soft, and really that is no lfun unless you are gonna blend it or something. BUT I am a fish for a 'Tropical Blizzard' at DQ!

Good fun entry.... Itmademe smile...

LynnMarie said...

I do eat ice cream but I don't ever feel guilty about it. Since I add to the household budget, I feel that I can take from it as well. Glad you followed your heart however.

Linda said...

I'm not big on ice-cream but hubby is so I buy vanilla by the pail. I didn't like milk as a kid so I'd have chocolate shakes, doctor even prescribed, unofficially. Now potato chips, donuts, choc. chip cookies, best I'm not home alone when I open those up. Funny story and kudos for truth. They'll be some sort of treat after this weekend's garage sale.

Chatty Crone said...

This is funny - we just talked this morning at bible study about confession. We are reading Max Lucado's book on Grace. it does make you feel better. And I think ice cream once in awhile is okay!

SweetMarie said...

Hubby and son love ice cream! I don't like plain, I prefer nuts and chocolate chunks. :) I try to stay away. :)

Hollie said...

LOL I'm glad you enjoyed your ice cream!! I'm not big on ice cream. Pies is my down fall!! LOL

Secret Agent Woman said...

Not so much. I like going out for an ice cream cone once in a while and if I have it for the kids, I might have a small scoop. But when I'm here alone, I'm never tempted by it in the freezer.

netablogs said...

Yes, I am an ice cream eater, and have been known to eat straight from the carton, as well, usually with one eye out to see if I'll get caught! I still crave Dairy Queen ice cream at times, but now that I have an ice cream maker... I can make 'healthy' icecream! and it IS the best! Loved your post!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Oh my gosh, Betty... this was just too funny! I can relate to this in a big way! This is something I would consider doing as well. Well, at least you don't like to eat it in colder weather... that is safe. I, on the other hand, don't need sunshine and warm temps to eat ice cream. I'll just crank up the heat and put on a blanket... lol. Glad you enjoyed your night, home alone... ;-)

Marianne said...

You are never a real wife or mom until you eat the entire supply of something and then try to cover it up. Welcome. I love you.

The Brown Recluse said...

I don't like Blogger's new comment format...twice I have hit the "sign out" button instead of "publish." Grrrr (Not twice tonight on your blog, I'm not quite that absent minded...yet.)

It's so awesome how God works things out...can't wait to read all the details of the rest of the story.



Danielle L Zecher said...

I LOVE ice cream, especially this time of year when they start to have the pumpkin and peppermint flavors.

It sounds like you more than made it up to your hubby and son. Hubby and I don't like many of the same flavors so we rarely have that issue.