a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, January 14, 2013

waiting

First of all; I need to thank Melanie over at Life is Only a Breath for the button she made for me for my word of the year (on right of blog).  Thanks Melanie.

Second of all; I'm going to be writing a series of posts over the next few days; this is part one of four. 

After I posted my word of the year (patience), I was reading in the Bible the following day and this story with Elijah jumped out at me, though I had read it many a time before (that's what I love about the word of God, it is alive and always I learn something new from it).

Anyway, after I studied it a bit more, it seemed so relevant to what is going on in my life so I'm going to share it here.  It will be too long to do in one post, so that's why I'm breaking it up like this.

Part One: Waiting
Part Two:  Acting
Part Three: Sharing
Part Four:  Applying

So, here's Part One:

1 Kings 17:1 Now Elijah the Tishbite from Tishbe in Gilead said to Ahab "As the Lord, the God of Israel lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word.

Elijah has announced there will be a drought sent from God as basically punishment to the Israelites because they keep worshipping false gods and not keeping God's commandments. 

1 Kings 17:2-3 Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah.  "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine east of the Jordan.  You will drink from the brook and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there". 

God told Elijah what would happen where he should go, how his needs would be met.

1 Kings 17:5  So he did what the Lord had told him.  He went to the Kerith Ravine east of the Jordan and stayed there.

Here's what jumped out at me.

HE STAYED THERE.  He was patient, waiting for God.  He didn't move until God told him to - and God provided bread and meat in the morning and night and he drank water from the brook (verse 6).

God provided.  God met his needs. Elijah obeyed, stayed, waited until God told him what to do and where to go next.

Elijah was patient.

Lord, help me to me like Elijah.  I'm waiting here Lord, my needs are being met, help me to be patient and not take matters into my own hands, like Elijah could have, but he chose to trust your word and stay put until you told him what to do next. Help me to do the same.

(part two in a few days)

(I promise, it will all tie together)

(its okay if you have don't comment on these; just "setting the stage" for the "grand finale" in part four )


19 comments:

Shelly said...

So true- there is much power in patience and in waiting (without complaining!).

LynnMarie said...

I love your word and this post. If we all could wait on the Lord, then even as a nation,we would be so much better. I love how the Bible jumps out to us as well. Great post.

Michelle said...

If everyone would use their bibles for guidance it would be a much better world. Thank you for your post. I look forward to the next three, and many more!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Waiting and not trying to do things on our own isn't easy at all. It is so tempting to jump in and try and take control. One thing I've learned is that I do not have control over a whole lot of anything, but I've grown very good at waiting.

Kit said...

This is great Betty! Thank you so much for sharing. I've read this passage many times before, and you have just shown me a new lesson that can be learned from it. I can't wait for the next installment.

Dana said...

Thank you for this. I'm looking forward to reading the other parts.

Deanna said...

Waiting patiently for part two...

Lynn Proctor said...

this is great betty--i am not too good on that waiting thing sometimes

jack69 said...

I love the story. I used to start it off with the kids in the audience by asking, "Have you ever met a Tishbite?"

Thanks for bringing up good memories and a sweet story from God's Word. Good stuff lady.
I like your VIEW!

Nel said...

I love this! If you have not stopped by, you need to read my post. There is a poem I wrote years ago talking about His Word! Looking forward to the other parts!
until next time...nel

Linda said...

Looking forward to your "quadrilogy!"

Scripture "Lord had told ..." especially intrigues me.

Mevely317 said...

I’m embarrassed to admit, Betty ... but I’ve probably listened and absorbed more of the Bible’s teachings from your and others' blogs than I did as a child ... being “made” to go to Church. Funny, the older I become, these lessons take on a whole new meaning!

For instance ... I want to read the “rest of your story” NOW. :)

Sharon said...

Betty, I had never really picked up on that - Elijah waited. There is obedience in waiting. And I find it a hard lesson to learn. But, as my word for 2013 is direction, I must learn to be patient as I wait for the Lord to tell me what He wants me to do.

Thanks for the good word - looking forward to more of your insights.

GOD BLESS!

netablogs said...

You're right, sometimes God asks us to just wait patiently and not DO anything to try to fix things.

Big Mark 243 said...

Waiting, acting, sharing and applying... that works as my definition of patience...

Looking forward to where you are taking us ..!

Chatty Crone said...

Can't wait to read part 2. I have a very hard time sometimes waiting for God.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Great word! I cannot imagine having the patience of Elijah.

The Brown Recluse said...

I was thinking a little while ago that I needed to get some Bible study in this morning since I'm off and have a full afternoon planned.

So glad I started here first.

I think we (God's children) miss a lot of blessings because we take matters into our own hands.

Lynda said...

Patience is a very difficult thing.