a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

sharing

(part 3 of 4); see waiting and acting if you need to catch up

(The creek has dried up and God has told Elijah to move on to another town where a widow has been instructed to give him food).

1 Kings 17:10-13 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”  “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don’t have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.”  Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son.  For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’”
 

(I underlined key points of above passage relative to my situation).

The widow had a choice.  She could believe Elijah and share her last bit of food with him or she could hoard her possessions, realizing that was all she had left for she and her son.  She chose to share, not knowing the outcome.  She acted on faith.

1 Kings 17:15-16 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.

Even if I have less than before and the possibility of not getting anything more, there is still someone worse off than me.  God wants me to share what I have with others who are in need and he will be faithful and meet my needs, though I might not know how he will chose to do so.  If he lays it upon my heart to help someone, I need to act in faith and do so.

Lord help me to be generous with all I have.

(finale tomorrow where it all ties together; thanks for sticking with me this far :)

18 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I am looking forward to the next installment..!

LynnMarie said...

By sharing what you have you look outward, away from yourself. God can always use such a tender heart. I'm look forwarded to tomorrow already.

Shelly said...

I've always admired her, because as mothers, our first instinct is to provide for our children above all else. Her leap of faith was truly giant. Looking forward to the next part- I've really enjoyed this!

Kit said...

I am loving this series Betty. I didn't have time to read yesterday's post so have just been catching up. It is so hard at times to share what we have, whether money, resources or even time, particularly when we have so little for ourselves. But I've heard so many stories about how God has continued to provide for people during difficult and uncertain times, and I believe when we are generous, he will continue to provide us with what we need.

Looking forward to the grand finale!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

This is a very thought provoking look at faith. I too am looking forward to see how you wrap it up. One thing I've found is that by trusting in God, I've never gone without the things I've needed. He's always provided.

Dana said...

This is such an important—and, I think, life-changing—observation. We need to remember to be grateful for what we have.

Linda said...

Love hearing about present day situations referencing God's Word. Thanks for posting each day, not once a week!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for sharing this very powerful example of faith. I'm looking forward to your finale tomorrow.

Deanna said...

Have been following along and looking forward to the finale!

Pat Hatt said...

A little perspective and remembrance is a great thing, nice look at it.

Patrick said...

I get in now you will 'try our patience' with to be continued posts throughout 2013 :)

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Sharon said...

I've always considered myself a *sharing* kind of girl - but sometimes I realize that I can be quite selfish, especially when fear keeps me holding on to my "stuff."

Good lesson.

GOD BLESS!

Chatty Crone said...

I read part two already and loved it!

SweetMarie said...

I'm going backwards here, but it doesn't matter. I love this and thank you for such heart felt posts!
Hugs,
Marie

UnicycleRose said...

Great insight to the hard job of WAITING! Peace to you,

The Brown Recluse said...

The Bible teaches us to be giving, and I am endeavoring to be more faithful in that area of my life...not only with money, but with my time and effort (and giving of myself is harder than giving my money!)

But He does reward us for being faithful with our finances and ourselves. It's very important for a fulfilled life, I think.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is really deep faith that they had. Can you imagine?

Lynda said...

I was listening to a message on the radio about a week ago regarding the Widow's Mite - - - - sort of the same principle - - - and you are correct, there is always someone in greater need than we presently are.