a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Monday, January 21, 2013

Epic Mom - Book Review



It is with great pleasure that I tell you about this book I just finished reading, called Epic Mom, by Marianne Walsh and Julie R. Harrison.

I first came to know Marianne through her very funny blog We Band of Mothers and then recently Julie from her equally funny blog Mothers of Brothers.

When I finally made the connection that these two had written a book together that was to be published, I knew it was a book I was going to want to read.  I eagerly awaited the date of its release and ordered a copy to read and review here on my blog.  (I think I got a bit of a discount for agreeing to review it on my blog, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say this or not, but I better just to make sure I cover all bases).

Anyway, this book was one of the most hilarious, if not the hilarious books I have ever read.  I would be laughing literally out loud after reading a part of it that my husband would just look at me like I was crazy, so I started suppressing my laughs when I was reading it in the same room as him, but he still knew I was laughing.

Through a series of essays, Marianne and Julie write of the joys and challenges of being mothers and how sometimes even in the best of intentions things don't go the way we mothers would like in raising our children. 

The book is broken into sections, a few stories from Julie, then a few stories from Marianne, then rotating back and forth.  I never laughed so hard as when Julie was writing about Mommies Anonymous and Marianne writing about Curing Baby Fever, or the ice cream cake that defrosted too quickly for one of Julie's sons' birthdays, or Marianne writing about APPS for phones that let you know when to change your child's diaper.  But each and every essay was filled with humor and provided at least a chuckle, at most a roaring belly laugh.

One of the cute things the authors did was whenever they mentioned a company or a product, show, whatever, they always referenced something about it, who started it, how it got famous, that type of thing. They always included something funny about it too, for instance when referencing Mike's Hard Lemonade Co, Marianne said "Mike's Hard Lemonade Co. was founded by Anthony von Mandl in 1999 and is owned by Mark Anthony Group.  They did not pay me to mention them in this book, but if they want to send me a case or two, that would be fine."  Reading their references like this was just as funny as reading the essays.

I highly recommend this humorous book to any mom who needs to laugh and who doesn't have time to read much during the day.  Each essay can be read in just a few minutes and will put a smile on one's face that will last through whatever crisis they might be going through as a mother for that particular moment.  Definitely a good gift to give for any occasion.

And its probably one of the few books I know that has my name published in it. 

Seriously, a great book that I highly recommend; you will not be disappointed.

23 comments:

Shelly said...

This sounds like a great read! And congrats on having your name in it!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sure a humorous book like that would brighten a few mom's day for sure. I've noticed that several bloggers have written books lately. Now I'm wondering how you happened to have your name published in it.

jack69 said...

I always love you book reviews. You have a great way of expressing how you feel.
Love the entry and especially your recommendations Someone is fortunate to have you on their side... You definitely make it sound like a great read.

Love from the Wildwood.

Bijoux said...

Is it available on amazon? I will have to check out their blogs.

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

Def. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. May have to grab that one.

Thanks for the review and sharing.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like a great read, always interesting the connections one makes through the blogosphere and what comes about.

Lynn Proctor said...

this is so cool!!

Jeanie said...

This sounds like a fun book that would be a great gift for moms.

Dana said...

I need this book! Thanks for reviewing it. It sounds great!

The Brown Recluse said...

Well, uhm, what does the book say about you??

I'm not much on reading Mommy blogs or books, but you entice me to read this one!

Send me the info (again, you graciously did it once before) where I can read and review, too...please! Not saying I'll read (AADD, you know) but I might! haha

Marianne said...

I always knew I loved you way more Wilma.

Thank you, Betty!! You made my week, if not my year. I am so grateful for your support and kind words. There is a big, deep-dish pizza here in Chicago with your name on it. And I will find you that bench with the most amazing view if it kills me.

Seriously, I am truly touched. And honored. And I want to hug you.

xoxo Walshie

Marianne said...

Hey Betty!

As special thanks to you & your readers, I created a special code for $5 off the book if they order through CreateSpace (it does not work on Amazon):

Code: GBKN9C8A
Link: https://www.createspace.com/4001755

Thank you again!!

Juli said...

I shall check it out... and as a bonus, I now see above me that there is a coupon.

So if I can get it to work for me... and not be another way in which I epicly fail... I'm good to go! :)

MOV said...

WOW! Thank you for the awesome review! I am honored and humbled.

xxo
MOV

Linda said...

Fun when books get one to laugh out loud!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Hi Betty! This sounds like a really good book. I think there are quite a few of my family members who will enjoy this. Thank you for sharing this :-)

Deanna said...

Great review of what must be a great book. Can't wait to read it!

Chatty Crone said...

Looks like a good read Betty. I love to laugh.

Kat said...

Sounds like a great book!

SweetMarie said...

really cool!

Lynda said...

It's always nice to know where to find some more humor. It's good for our health!

Martha said...

Love your review Betty. What would you think about this book for a baby shower gift? It sounds perfect for those of us who have been there, done that, but would it freak out a young expectant parent?

Linda :) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book... I've now added these blogs to my reading list... :)