a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

acting

Part 2 of 4 (see waiting if you need to)

(We last left Elijah waiting by the brook, obeying what God told him to do, being fed meat and bread by ravens and drinking from the brook)

1 Kings 17:7 Some time later, the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land.

Some time later.  It does not define how much time like other parts of the Bible will say a time period, for instance, two months, six months, three years, whatever.

This specifically says

SOME TIME LATER

We have no idea how long Elijah was at the brook waiting, but remember during that time his needs were met.  He was fed daily meat and bread sent by God and he drank from the brook.

During that time, however long it was, Elijah stayed put as God told him to do, and waited and trusted.  Makes you wonder how Elijah was feeling, watching the brook dry up, seeing less water daily, wondering what God was going to do next, but he obeyed God and stayed there.

1 Kings 17:8-9 Then the word of the Lord came to him.  "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there.  I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food".

Then - when?  After the brook had dried up.

When? In God's timing, will, way.

Then is when the word of the Lord came to Elijah.  (Makes you wonder if during this time of waiting God was quiet as he is sometimes during our waiting times).

BUT his command is immediate

"Go at once"

not "go tomorrow, go next week"

BUT

"Go at once".

He tells him where, he tells him what will happen, how his needs will be met.

Elijah had a choice. To act on it or stay put, but he knew God was faithful, God keeps his word, so he went.

Lord, help me to be sensitive to listening to your voice and to act as you have commanded me. Help me, Lord, to remember it is your time, your way, your will I want for my life.

(part three soon; again weaving the story; it will all come together part four)

16 comments:

Shelly said...

I love this- you are a gifted teacher. This has certainly gotten my morning off to the right start!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Listening is very important. Sometimes I think it is in the quiet times we find answers. Whenever I've a feeling of peace with whatever decision I've made then I know it is the right choice.

Parsley said...

Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Dana said...

I'm enjoying this series. Thanks for blogging this. :)

Jeanie said...

I agree with Shelly above....you have a talent for teaching. I will look forward to part 3.

LynnMarie said...

Wow you have done a great job connecting the two post! How insightfull you are.

jack69 said...

I love this part. These Bible truths, called Bible stories, do build faith. I like the way you tell it. Thanks and thanks for firing up so many memories of TRUE STORIES.
Love from the Banks of the PEACE River.

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

Thank You..I love that you are doing these little lessons..

Deals On Wheels said...

You make me miss teaching Sunday School. I loved taking the lesson and applying it to the lives of six and seven year olds. Can't wait for part 4! :)

Sharon said...

Another great lesson. It's hard to wait, and sometimes it's also hard to go. This move to the mountain was one of those times that God said, "Go." Now, I feel like I'm in a *wait* time - and I'm waiting for my next *assignment*!

GOD BLESS!

Marianne said...

I like this little detour you've taken from your regular blog & looking forward to the other parts!

Chatty Crone said...

And that is the second part to waiting - you have be be listening and waiting to receive. sandie

Big Mark 243 said...

... again, I will go back to "our" definition of patience... all of those words are used to describe something that YOU do... it does not mention what is to be done, hoped for or desired... you do what you are supposed to do and THEN you shall receive the consequence of your deeds...

Wait when it is time... do when you are supposed to... share what has been given to you and finally, apply all that you have learned...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm intrigued....

The Brown Recluse said...

Do you ever think that our lack of trust has kept us from actually hearing what God is commanding us? I think most all of us would do God's commands if we truly trusted that it was indeed God's voice we were hearing. Of course, we have to be in a place to be able to hear God's voice, don't we?

For me...I think it's not so much that I don't trust God, it's that I don't trust my ability to hear Him.

Lynda said...

Praise God when we can hear HIS voice clearly and are immediately obedient.