a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, December 13, 2012

my mom

My mom, like most moms, was wonderful.  She was the best. 

She was fiercely independent; she didn't like to ask others for help. 

She was so very wise, although I didn't see a lot of that wisdom until after she was already gone and I look back at the lessons she taught me.

She was incredibly brave, though she probably wouldn't have labeled herself as such.  She up and moved her three young children from her supportive family to escape the cold winters of Pennsylvania, relocating us to Southern California, basically starting over again pretty much from scratch.

She had a quiet faith in Jesus.  She prayed, she went to church, at times she would read her Bible.  She prayed for three good children; that was one of her deepest prayers.  I joke and say God answered her prayer and two of her children are good (me excluded) but in reality, I too am good; we all know Jesus and our spouses do too and our children know him too (though perhaps two of them aren't walking the straight and narrow path of him right now, but we keep praying).

She could bake and cook.  Her fried chicken was so good.  Not only did she fry it, but then she would bake it in the oven for 20-25 minutes to crisp it yet it was so moist.  I can't duplicate it, nor her burritos, nor her stew, nor her chicken soup, nor the cabbage pie, among so many other recipes.  And the nut roll she made, the breads at Christmas and Easter, again so delicious.

She could sew.  She made clothes.  She made quilts.  She made Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy dolls that were so adorable.  I totally forgot she had made these dolls until a friend at church, who knew us in our younger days, small world, had told me a story about the doll my mom had made her little girl years ago.  That opened up a whole bunch of memories I had forgotten of my mom making them.  She would knit hats for an organization that distributed them to kids who needed a warm winter hat.

She was this and she was so much more. 

Life was hard for her, but God was always faithful.  I've said this before and I'll say it again.  The Bible talks about God having a special place in his heart for widows and the fatherless.  Widowed at 38 with three young children, never remarried, God took care of her and us.  Our needs were ALWAYS met in abundance; we never went without.  Yet most days she was able to be home with us at the end of the day when we got home from school, finishing her cleaning houses she did in time to do so.  It wasn't until years later when I was reading the Bible that it dawned on me that I was indeed fatherless, except for my heavenly father of course, yet I can attest God did take care of us so faithfully and still does to this day.

She was wonderful.  She was the best mom in the whole world, like every mother is the best mom in the world, but she was my mom and I am thankful God let me be her daughter.

Six years ago today she went home to Jesus. I like to say it gets easier to miss her but it doesn't. It gets easier in the grieving, as you all know who have grieved a loved one, but we always do miss them. I'll see her again, for that I am thankful to you Jesus.  In the meantime, say "hi" to her for me Lord and tell her she was the best mom for me.

I love you mom.

I love you Jesus.



36 comments:

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

wow that is awesome. what a touching tribute to your mom. Moms like her have a special place in heaven.... thanks for sharing that.

Shelly said...

What a beautiful post, and what a beautiful woman your mom was. You take after her.

Bijoux said...

I feel sad for your loss, but rejoice with you that your mom is with Jesus right now.

Lynn Proctor said...

awwww she sounds wonderful--sweet memories <3

The Brown Recluse said...

Awww...I'm teary. What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mother! She was a lovely lady, I can see, and I understand where some of your wonderful qualities come from!

Jeanie said...

I don't think we ever stop missing our moms. Mine died when I was 18 and I still miss her. I loved ready these memories about your mom and thinking of those it brought up for me about my mom.

Brenda Youngerman said...

Betty what a wonderful, warm and loving tribute to your mom. I am sure she is watching you and know how much you respected, adored and miss her...
You might not be able to make the same recipes as well as she does...but you make others that your children will not be able to replicate..

Merry Christmas to you and your family

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You were blessed with a wonderful mother. How nice you have such good memories of her. God does always provide.

Judy said...

She sounds like a wonderful lady and mom! How blessed you were to have her, and I'm sure she felt blessed to have such wonderful children! Thank you for sharing this awesome tribute to your mom!

Hollie said...

Thinking about you my friend!! Beautiful post indeed!!

Tami said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dear mother. She sounds like a wonderful lady and positive influence in your life. You are in my prayers today.

jack69 said...

Oh girl, I always love your tribute to your mom. You express it in such a beautiful way. She would be so proud. I think I have grown to know your mom thru you. What a lady. You have a right to be proud, and even you admit, the knowledge of that wisdom truly comes out AFTER they are gone.
I had both parents, Godly folk, but I too, did not appreciate the wisdom until they were gone.

Love you lady, AGAIN, what a sweet post.

And I think your many friends and readers would admit, that EVEN YOU turned out WELL LOL

Penelope Kay said...

What a great mom you truly had and I know she is guiding you every day with a smile in her special way. I always said recipes can not be duplicate no matter how to the letter they are followed, it is the special secret ingredient put in there by moms, it is called - LOVE!! I wish you peace today and love with your memories of such a wonderful mother.

Dana said...

I've never met you in person, Betty, but nevertheless, I can see your mom in you. This is a beautiful tribute.

Jen Forbes said...

What an incredibly beautiful tribute to your mother. I know she is looking down on you with pride and joy at what a wonderful person you are.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful mom. I know she will be as happy to see you again, as you are to see her.

Mevely317 said...

Aw, Betty ... this makes me wish I'd have had an opportunity to know your mom.... I've tears in my eyes!
Isn't "ours" an awful sorority (of those whose moms have passed)?
I can only pray someone whose mother is still alive will read this and give their mom and extra hug.

Myra

Sharon said...

Betty, I'm in tears right now. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. Your mom sounds like a very special person indeed - I can only imagine how much you miss her.

I love what you said about being *fatherless* - yes, our Heavenly Father fills every empty ache, doesn't He?

I can't wait to meet your mom in Heaven. Do you think she'll make some fried chicken for us?!

GOD BLESS!

Juli said...

But isn't it fantastic that she touched so many, and you can re-live the memories of her through other's memories?

(I hope that makes sense... it's been a long day)

(((HUGS)))

Robyn :) said...

What wonderful memories you have of your mother!

Linda B. said...

Sweet memories of a talented, strong, faithful mother. From what I've heard, she'd be thrilled with of all three of her children.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a sweet tribute to your mom.

My mom will have been gone 6 years this Christmas Eve. You're right ... we never stop missing our moms.

Kelly said...

Oh, Betty . . . what a touching, heartwarming tribute to your Mom. :-) I can only imagine how proud she is of you, and how much she loves you.

Prayers and blessings to you and yours.

BelovedBomber said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom...it sounds as though she left an amazing legacy!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Betty, what a beautiful post about your Mom. She was very brave and you were so lucky to have her for a Mother. I lost my mother over 30 years ago. I would love to know her now but I too know I will see her again. ((HUGS))

Seriously Though said...

That you didn't realize your were fatherless brings tears of joy to my eyes. He is really, really wonderful. I needed to hear that!

Chatty Crone said...

Betty, your mother sounded like a great woman - and what a nice tribute this is to her. I bet she knows. And you are probably just like her to your son. sandie

Blondee said...

Your mom sounds like the Psalm 31 woman. What a blessing she must have been to you. I am sorry for your loss, you are right, time doesn't soften the sadness.

notes4neta said...

What a great tribute to your mom. She sounded like quite the woman. What a blessing to have a mom set such a great example for her children. Thanks for sharing!

Marianne said...

This is beautiful. On a day where I'm left wondering about how much good there still is in the world, I read your story of a remarkable mother. You are good because she was good. You love because you were loved. Your mom is an inspiration, and I know you must still miss her very much. We should all be so lucky to have such a parent.

nancygrayce said...

A beautiful tribute to your mama! My daddy died very suddenly 17 years ago......I miss him so often, but am thankful for his life and the Truth he taught us!

Rita said...

You will never forget her. The sadness lessens over time, but then you are free to remember all the goodness and wonderful times with joy!! :) Your mom sounds like she was a true joy.

mare ball said...

What a lovely tribute. Your mom sounds a bit like mine, who is 92. They were part of the Greatest Generation, hard workers, honorable souls. God DOES have a special place for widows and the fatherless. You were blessed to have such a loving mom. I'm sure you miss her, I don't imagine that goes away. I dread the day I lose my mom.

Stew said...

These are the stories that I love. This is why I work in the field that I do. It is these stories ( that never seem to capture everything) that keep the loved ones alive and that help to shape us into the people that we are. It helps to gather with others that remember her and recall stories. It bonds us together and keeps her alive not only in us but in our children as they learn about the person that taught you so much.

Veronica B. said...

What wonderful memories, Betty...

Intense Guy said...

She was a beautiful woman - and her three children - her legacy - are all beautiful, through and through. I bet Jesus points to her and says "Now there is your motherly role model."