a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Christmas prayer


Many of you may have seen this already from Max Lucado after yesterday's tragic, horrific events in Connecticut.  I think he prayed and said it so well.  As I continue to pray for the families of such an incomprehensible tragedy, one that will affect their lives forevermore, I will also pray that the message of the hope of Jesus continues to get out to a world that desperately needs him (even if they can't see that right now of their need for him).
Dear Jesus,
It's a good thing you were born at night. This world sure seems dark. I have a good eye for silver linings. But they seem dimmer lately.
These killings, Lord. These children, Lord. Innocence violated. Raw evil demonstrated.
The whole world seems on edge. Trigger-happy. Ticked off. We hear threats of chemical weapons and nuclear bombs. Are we one button-push away from annihilation?
Your world seems a bit darker this Christmas. But you were born in the dark, right? You came at night. The shepherds were nightshift workers. The Wise Men followed a star. Your first cries were heard in the shadows. To see your face, Mary and Joseph needed a candle flame. It was dark. Dark with Herod's jealousy. Dark with Roman oppression. Dark with poverty. Dark with violence.
Herod went on a rampage, killing babies. Joseph took you and your mom into Egypt. You were an immigrant before you were a Nazarene.
Oh, Lord Jesus, you entered the dark world of your day. Won't you enter ours? We are weary of bloodshed. We, like the wise men, are looking for a star. We, like the shepherds, are kneeling at a manger.
This Christmas, we ask you, heal us, help us, be born anew in us.
Hopefully,
Your Children

(its okay if you don't comment on this; just pray)

21 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness Betty - such a sad day.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Amen. I'm sure that there will be a renewed call for gun control. Gun control is not the answer ... Jesus is.

Jen Forbes said...

Betty what a beautiful prayer and I think following your example we all need to step up our prayer life in light of all this violence in our society. What happened yesterday is truly such an evil act. I am so terrible sad and horrified.

Bijoux said...

And He will return like a thief in the night. It's days like these that make me say, "Come, Lord Jesus." So very sad right now.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

Mevely317 said...

I hadn't seen this prayer, Betty. Thank you for sharing!


Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

Amen...and thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Beautiful prayer, Betty. It brought a measure of comfort to me. My cousin lives in Connecticut, and I was worried when I first heard about this. Fortunately, his three children are fine - but it made me very concerned until I found out that they did not live where the tragedy unfolded.

I can hardly think about it - I just cry. But, at least I am consoled to know that those children are in the arms of Jesus. May those same loving arms surround all the people left behind with their grief.

Come, Lord Jesus, come...

GOD BLESS.

Lynda said...

Thank you for the link. What a powerful prayer and reminder of the darkness of our fallen world. Praying, too, that more will come closer to Jesus this season.

Juli said...

Amen.

Linda B. said...

Amen.

Last night stayed away from the news and drove around 2 1/2 hours in the dark, looking at the bright Christmas decorations and Nativity Scenes while listening to Andy Williams and Worship cd's of hymns and classics, thankful for Jesus, the Light of the world.

Michelle said...

My days are not complete unless Jesus is in my thoughts, through prayer or music. I cannot imagine a day without knowing He is with me. Thank you.

JosephAlsarraf said...

Amen! Just want to say sorry for the tragic event happened yesterday. I wish there was some way we could end all the violence, but praying helps!
: )

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Max Lucado always seems to find the right words to share and that prayer does say it all. I'd not seen it so I thank you for sharing it. It is one that I'll be praying. May our dear Lord strengthen, comfort and heal the broken hearted.

Dana said...

This is beautiful. Amen.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

This is just beautiful Betty. Our pastor talked about this very writing by Max Lucado today in church. It's all so comforting.

mare ball said...

what a beautiful prayer. So true, all of it. Violence has always been with us. And Christ is the only light. Thank you for printing this. It's a reminder that we are not alone in this dark world.

SweetMarie said...

So sad...

Blondee said...

God bless, Betty. Thank you for taking on my challenge. You are helping to make sure the 26 who were taken from the world leave a legacy of change for the better. :)

The Brown Recluse said...

I still have no words...I just pray God's mercy....

Intense Guy said...

Its "senseless" events like this that make one question their faith - and for many, it re-affirms it by reminding us "we don't know the "big plan" nor do we understand it.