a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Thursday, November 15, 2012

leftovers

Son is a night owl; I've written about it before. He is perfectly comfortable in the night, coming in at odd hours in the early morning or going out after midnight to grab a bite to eat. Even after a late night, he will get up if he has to early in the morning to get to work, but I can see in his eyes that he needs a few more hours of sleep, but that is youth, they somehow struggle through their day with energy we used to have, but no longer have, especially at my age.

It is not unusual for him to eat at late hours too. He is not a breakfast eater, even if he has to be at work at 8 o'clock in the morning and often will go all day without eating, only to eat three meals between the hours of 5 p.m. and 2 o'clock in the morning. He tries to be respectful and quiet when he is putting meals together in the middle of the night; occasionally I will wake up and smell this or that cooking and see the remnants of leftovers the next morning. I wrote about it on my previous blog a few years back.

I play a game with him in that I try to guess what he ate the night before in the morning when I get up and head to the kitchen. I'm usually the first one up so I see any residuals left. He is great about cleaning up what he cooks and what he eats, but he does leave the recyclables on the counter to take out in the light of day or sometimes crumbs in the sink or things in the trash that I can put together what he made. Sometimes he'll go out and grab something from a taco shop or whatnot in the middle of the night and I'll see leftovers in the fridge or little sauce packets.  Sometimes I look and I can't find any clues of what he ate, those are the nights that he might not have eaten or had something like a bowl of cereal.

Sometimes he'll bring home food after he goes up to see his girlfriend and they went out to eat, so I'll see the "doggy bag" (or container) in the fridge and I'll peek in to see what he had ordered.

So imagine my surprise when this past Sunday morning I go out to the kitchen area and saw a bag marked with the name of the restaurant he valets for on the weekends. Fancy bag.  I opened the fridge and there are four containers of leftover food from this steak house restaurant. A half steak in one of them, mashed potatoes and creamed spinach in another, bread in a third, and in a little square box tied with a ribbon were three chocolate truffles.

So my inquisitive mind is trying to put this together. He valeted the night before and was supposed to be off his shift at 10:30 p.m. but I didn't hear him coming home until after 1 o'clock. So I'm thinking "did he take someone out for a date and have leftovers?" Did he get a meal because someone ordered and forgot to pick it up and it was extra and they gave it to the valet? He knows several of the waitresses there. Did one give him something extra?

So I'm waiting for him to get up so I can ask him about the meal. When he comes out, getting ready to head up to his girlfriend's for he spends Sundays with her, I ask him how he ended up with the leftovers from ...........(the name of the restaurant). It is a pretty upscale restaurant; heck we looked at the menu on line and knew it was not in our budget.

He said he started talking with a patron at the restaurant about this and that and the patron asked if he had ever had a steak from the place. Son said "no". Patron asked if he wanted one. Son said "no that's okay" but patron said "I'll buy you one" and proceeded to go back into the restaurant and place an order for their bone-in rib eye steak and paid for it. A little bit later the steak was ready and the cooks added the mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, bread and truffles. Son ate 1/2 of the meal and left the rest for us to taste and share.

Oh my gosh. The steak melted in your mouth. The creamed spinach I could have eaten a bowl of. The truffles. I wish there were a dozen of them!

Definitely very tasty and worth the price charged.

I asked son what kind of car the man had that bought him the meal. He said "oh he didn't valet with us". He was just out there with a friend, having eaten there, and just started talking to son. (Son said he was weaving a bit like he was a bit tipsy from drinking too much).

Definitely a very nice kind gesture. Definitely a delicious gesture. 

37 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

It is not that unusual for patron at trendy (read: Upscale) places to be so intoxicated with their 'having' that they look for the opportunity to share a bit. I think it speaks to the affability and the courteousness of your son that this cat was taken enough by him to give him a treat... and son was smart and gracious enough to accept..!

Michelle said...

Yum!

Shelly said...

What a great random act of kindness, tipsy or not. And your son continued it, too. Love it!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do believe there are just really nice people left in this world and it is good to hear about them. It is nice when those that have that kind of money do share. And it was nice of your son to share with you too! Hope your Thursday is a great one!

Melanie said...

What a neat little story! The meal sounds delicious, and how awesome that your son saved some of it for you. :)

Bijoux said...

My daughter eats at all hours too. She works three 12 hour shifts from 7 pm to 7 am, so lunchtime for her is 2 am. What a treat to receive a free steak. I always thought workers at restaurants ate for free, but maybe not if you are valet and outside for a lot of the night?

Hollie said...

That was very nice of the man indeed! My son is the same way with his routines and eating habits! Oh to be young again! LOL

Jeanie said...

What a kind gesture, both on the man's part and by your son. I'm glad you got to enjoy the food from the restaurant where he works.

The Brown Recluse said...

How sweet Son shared his "gift" with you! That man sounds like a generous man...that's the kind of person I'd like to be...to just do nice things for others for no particular reason.

or...I guess I want to want to be that way...but I don't always want to be nice for no reason. haha

When I had kids at home, I didn't mind them being up all night (stepson, usually) because I felt like no one would break in if there was action in the house. Is that a false sense of security, or what?

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow, what a nice gesture on the part of that man ... and how nice of your son to share that with you guys.

Linda :) said...

How nice that your son cooks for himself AND cleans up... my boys will fix cereal but that's as far as they go... or they will get fast food or take out and I will see the remnants of that... How nice you all got to sample the tasty meal...

Funny in My Mind said...

That was very nice of him!
My older son is a night owl too and eats pizza or cooks something as his breakfast in the wee hours (never a breakfast food) but he does leave a mess.

jack69 said...

I liked your mystery story. You are a good mama. I can remember coming in late thinking I was cool (and quiet) and mama would call out from the bedroom, There is a sandwich on the stove!
Of course I wasn't as old as your son. Not old enough to be trusted in mama's kitchen. hahaha
Good for him and the steak, that is one of those 'seldom moments' in life that are great and make good memories.
Life is fun a lot of the time, but always good!

Dana said...

I have to say I'm very hungry right now. ;)

Robyn :) said...

That was really nice of that guy and your son to share it with you :)

I am a night owl, too, but my lifestyle does not allow for it lol

Juli said...

Fantastic gesture, drunk or not. And even better that your son wanted to share. :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

A random act of kindness!! I love it!

Tamera Brose said...

What a wonderful story. The man, the cooks who added the extra food, and your son for thinking of you all get kudos from me. I hope the man made it home safely.

Jen Forbes said...

I do think that is such a great story. I love hearing about random acts of kindness and generosity. Then that your son spread the love by sharing it with you just is the icing on the cake. A very nice cake indeed! I'm smiling Betty a big fat smile:)

Mevely317 said...

Now my mouth is watering! I'd be right there with ya, fighting for that last bite of creamed spinach - lol!
Love this stranger's random act, and how your son paid it forward!

Linda B. said...

I've heard of people ahead in drive-through paying for the one behind them, but this sure was an extremely nice gesture indeed! Glad you all got to enjoy it.

Cute with the food guesswork!

Chatty Crone said...

What a nice story. So the steak was delicious? Wonder if your son will pay it forward. sandie

Rita said...

What a nice thing for that man to do. :)

I wondered, too, if your son will now pay it forward somehow, somewhere. ?? :):)

Aneta said...

Isn't that a wonderful gesture! My son eats at the oddest times, too, but now that he's moved out, I don't notice as much. I only hope that he's eating enough vegetables. ;)

SweetMarie said...

this sounds like my son's weekend schedule, except he can't drive past eleven. :) He loves leftovers in the middle of the night.
Once in a while my son will bring home leftovers from a restaurant and if it's steak or seafood he knows I will eat it if I get the chance. :)

Tamera Brose said...

This really goes with your earlier post, "Humbling", but I don't know how often you go back and see new messages. I saw this idea on pinterest and thought of you. I hope the link works. http://kwavs.blogspot.com/2011/05/blessing-bags-how-to.html

Donna B. said...

Very nice....and so happy to hear your son was there when the man felt his generous, kind gesture. I know, I remember those good 'old days when I had energy to burn....oh the sweet days of youth....

Empty Nester said...

When any of the lovelies waited tables or bartended at upscale restaurants in Charleston they loved the tips their tipsy customers left. Always better than the non-drinkers. LOL You made me hungry-by the way.

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

A lovely gesture! It sounds delicious!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That was really nice of the man to do that. Sometimes, not always, you do get what you pay for. I just ate at The Palm and was blown away at the flavor of the steak. I love to travel with Mark because we eat at those types of places often. It's such a treat!

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

Yum. sounds delish! what a nice patron.
I finally made my way to your blog! : )

Lynn Proctor said...

that sounds really good--esp. the spinach :)

Tami said...

So cool to hear a story of someones generosity (tipsy or otherwise). Thanks for sharing.

Danielle L Zecher said...

What a nice person, and your son was so nice to share,too! Creamed spinach, YUM!!!

lime said...

wanted to thank you for stopping by my place and letting me know. glad you've been enjoying reading and said hi.

this is a great story. how very kind of that man, drunk or not, to buy your son a meal. and how nice that your son saved a bit to share with you.

Deanna said...

Hi Betty. That dinner sounds wonderful! Your son must have made an impression on the patron, for him to have done that, even if he might have been a bit inebriated. The "what did he eat" game sounds like fun, although I would find it unnerving having someone rummaging around the kitchen all hours of the night!

Azara said...

How sweet! I worked at McDonald's as a teen and sometimes brought home a few muffins that hadn't sold that day. Not quite the same.