a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

and that's how I ended up with having four Thanksgiving celebrations

I thought I would start with the end of my post for the title this evening. Seemed kind of a cute thing to do. You, the reader, can decide :)

Yep, it is a fact. I'm having four Thanksgiving celebrations over the course of five days and when I stood back and looked at it, I'm not cooking a single thing. That is indeed a blessing!

It starts Wednesday evening. I work on Thanksgiving. You guys all know with the company I work for, we run 24/7. Its got to be covered 24/7. So if your regular shift is on a holiday, you work it if you haven't asked for it off. I'm cool with working Thanksgiving. I'm going to try to get Christmas off this year; we'll see. So I'll be working Thanksgiving day.

Son will be going up to his girlfriend's Thursday to celebrate with her family. I wanted to have a three of us (hubby, son, me) dinner so we picked Wednesday. The menu, roast, potatoes, carrots, rolls, dessert. Hubby will put the roast, potatoes, carrots in the crockpot and go to the store to get the rolls and dessert.  No cooking for me, I can live with that.

Thursday is celebration #2. Just hubby and me (and Koda, I'm sure he'll get a tidbit or two). We have absolutely no idea what we will have, leaning towards fish and the side dishes that will go with it. He'll prepare the food while I'm working. I can live with that.

Friday is celebration #3 with my brother, sister-in-law, their children, my niece's husband and children, various other family members. Probably in all about 20 people. Brother and family always celebrate Thanksgiving the day afterwards because my niece (I've written about this before, but I'm just so darn proud of her, I'm writing about it again :) puts on a dinner at her church for the hungry, the homeless, all are invited. She started this 10 years ago, the first Thanksgiving she did it she was newly pregnant and newly nauseous but still managed to pull the dinner off. I've written it before, but they have no idea how many will come but they NEVER run out of food. That's a God thing, sort of like loaves and fish multiplying. She and a multitude of volunteers serve. Her parents watch her and her husband's children so she can do this. I would imagine as the kids grow, they'll be right along helping her.

So they celebrate Friday night and we'll be there with them. Son and girlfriend will join in the festivities. And all we have to do is bring a bottle of wine. I can live with that.

And then finally, Sunday. Decided I wanted to have a Thanksgiving celebration with son and girlfriend, hubby and me, so we'll drive up to where we used to live, where she lives, and join them for a late lunch/early dinner at the restaurant of their choosing. I can live with that.

All I can say is, I'm not getting on the scale come Monday.....

But I did want to say, I'm so thankful for so much; Jesus, my salvation. the blessings he has given me time after time after time after time. My job, food to eat, a warm house, warm clothes to wear, etc., etc., etc.

I am also thankful to each and everyone of you who read my words and comment. I've said it before, and you know I'll say it again, you guys are the best and mean so much to me.

May you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

40 comments:

forever folding laundry said...

you have a lot to be thankful for!
i think your celebrations sound fantastic.
especially the not cooking part. :)

happy thanksgiving!

keri

salemslot9 said...

happy thanksgiving
Betty & Koda :)

Michelle said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Betty and family!

Shelly said...

You'll have a season of Thanksgiving! How much fun- and the not having to cook part makes it even sweeter! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours~

Bijoux said...

Fish on Thanksgiving and feeding those in need sound like wonderful alternatives to the usual gluttony of the holiday. Have a wonderful time with your loved ones.

Parsley said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I too am thankful for what was done for me on the cross!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

4 celebrations, and nothing you have to cook? Sounds like a win-win-win-win situation! ha! Seriously, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

LynnMarie said...

Yeah, I'd say I have to agree about not getting on the scale on Monday, or Tuesday for that matter! Have fun with all that celebration without cooking one thing! You are blessed for sure.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful thing your niece is doing. You are rightfully very proud of her.
Enjoy all or your Thanksgiving celebrations, and especially enjoy not cooking.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Being thankful is a reason to celebrate and you have really got it covered there! I hope all your Thanksgiving celebrations are wonderful ones!

Jane said...

Sounds like a great time to have so many ways to celebrate. You are truly blessed. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Linda B. said...

Cute title! As much as I like the turkey dinner, nice that your celebrations include variety.Four-day Thanksgiving with family sounds wonderful!

Karen Greenberg said...

Sounds like some great celebrations. And not having to cook at all? Perfect! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Dana said...

Sounds like you'll be having some wonderful celebrations. Happy Thanksgiving!

Robyn :) said...

That's awesome! Reminds me of a Gilmore Girls episode where they went to 4 celebrations in one day lol.

Jacked Up Glock Mom said...

wow how did you get away with only a bottle of wine? Wish I was that lucky! : )
even though you are working, enjoy your day. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. The roast sounds yummy. : )

Betty WSch. said...

Sounds like some serious celebrating is ahead. And so much fun! I'm happy you get to see your extended family too.
Happy Thanksgiving Betty!

jack69 said...

You are something else. I know you will enjoy ALL of the Thanksgiving Festivities. I sorta feel that You are one who blesses folk just being around.

It all sounds so good. We are settled in Florid fro a few weeks now. So we are still up in the air about our Thanksgiving.

Love from this coast. Sherry & Jack

Funny in My Mind said...

It sounds like a lovely week full of food, friends and family.
Yes, please let Koda have a bite, ha ha!
Enjoy all of you dinners. I am very thankful to have met so many wonderful blog friends that I know I would really like if I ever met them.
I hope you get Christmas off.

Sharon said...

My goodness, Betty - I feel stuffed and tired just reading about all your celebrations! (DO. NOT. STEP. ON. THE. SCALE.)

"The Hub" and I are going down the mountain to have Thanksgiving with my sister's family, my folks, my sons...and yes, Marty! Only one chance for me to gorge!

Have a wonderful time - and I join you in thanksgiving to our precious Lord - the Giver of all GOOD things!

GOD BLESS!

Mevely317 said...

Yeppers, your title grabbed my attention, big time!

So, if I'm reading this correctly, Part One's begun ... actually, that menu's my all-time favorite! Roast, carrots and a crock-pot? Yummmmm!

Our observance won't be particularly special, but I find personal Thanksgivings in your and all the friendships found in blogville!
...and ya, I can live with that!

Jimmy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Betty!

It is a wonderful thing your niece is doing I can see why you are so proud of her.

You have it all figured out this year, enjoy your time with everyone, eat a lot of good food, and stay off the scale on Monday because it wont matter then.

Yes we have to Thank God for all of our blessings and it appears you have many my Friend.

SweetMarie said...

Sounds like fun plans. :)
Happy Thanksgiving to your and yours!
Hugs,
Marie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Enjoy each meal! I am actually going to kinda cook twice. My daughter decided to go with her husband to his families house so Mark and I will eat alone. Then on Friday I will make her mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole and corn. She wasn't going to eat turkey & gravy anyway!
Debby

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Wow! The Thanksgiving that never ends! Betty this is awesome! I'm thinking along the same lines.. there is not a chance of me stepping on that scale come Monday.

This is my year NOT to cook, so we are taking the family out to eat.

Thanksgiving blessings to you and your beautiful family!

Aneta said...

What a great post! Sounds like there's lots to be thankful for--not having to cook is a bit one!! ;) Have a great Thanksgiving celebration at each and everyone of those meals!

Marianne said...

I'd consider putting that scale on sabbatical.

Enjoy all the festivities! I loves me a good party!

And I feel happy to know you! Anytime I find someone who is "in" a little bit better with The Big Guy, I figure I'm totally making out on the deal.

Put in a good word for me, won't you? Despite all the swearing & occasional cocktail.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Lynn Proctor said...

you are very blessed indeed! hope you have a wonderful day today too :)

Chatty Crone said...

Whew that is a heck of a lot of celebrations. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family - Love, sandie

Joanne Noragon said...

Thank you for stopping. Interestingly, we're having four Thanksgiving's, too. We didn't start until today, and go straight through Sunday. I won't be on the scale on Monday, either.

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you guys! Yes, we truly have some wonderful things to be thankful for :)

-Brandon's Raiser

Tamera Brose said...

Did you get any leftovers? That's the best part sometimes. Can you imagine being a dog on a day when delicious smells are everywhere? With their heightened sense of smell it must be torture. I know Abby sometimes looks at us like, "This is not what I smell!" when we give her dog food instead of table scraps. She gets her share of those too. I do believe in the loaves and fishes thing. If Jesus did it when he was personally here on earth, then He can make it happen when he isn't.

Elaine L. Bridge said...

It was fun sitting on the bench and enjoying the view with you for awhile again! It's been too long since I've done so; the busyness of life, I suppose! Glad to catch up a bit. So wonderful that you have so many wonderful Thanksgiving dinners to enjoy, and that you are likewise thankful for such a blessed life. Now on to Christmas!!! My motto for the season, stolen from my McDonald's coffee cup: Unwrap (the joy!), unwind, enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

Martha said...

Hi Betty! Hope you enjoyed your first 2 Thanksgiving celebrations. Sorry you had to work on Thanksgiving day but I can see by all your plans that it sure didn't put a damper on your celebrations. Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend and your next 2 Thanksgiving celebrations! Oh and don't worry, calories don't count on holidays ;)

Living Life said...

Not having to cook is definitely a blessing indeed!! I'm glad you will be having an extended Thanksgiving weekend Betty! Enjoy!

Deanna said...

Happy Thanksgivings to you! We, too, had a very special day... but only once! I'd be able to live with each and every one of your Thanksgivings.

joeh said...

I think you may want to wait a week before testing that scale.

Enjoy!


cranky old man

Hollie said...

Sounds wonderful! (Especially you not having to cook!!!) Woo-Hoo!!

That is a wonderful thing for your niece to do!! I know it is a God Thing indeed!!

Melanie said...

Hi, Betty,
All that food sounds delicious, and even better that you didn't have to cook it! I don't think I would get on the scale today either!
Hope Koda is doing OK. :)
Have a great week!

Linda :) said...

You have a lot to be thankful for times four with all those thanksgivings with family... I had a wonderful thanksgiving with family on Thursday and have eaten leftovers every day since... :)