a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, October 12, 2012

the perfect gift; or perhaps the perfect revenge; you decide

So I'm looking through the mail today and our first Christmas catalog came. We don't get many but I like this particular company, if only because it gives one ideas on what to get for people on your list. Not that I ever order anything from the company and usually go with gift cards, but it does give me ideas.

I was thumbing through the catalog and came across a Jumbo Floor Piano Mat where kids can touch the notes on the mat and make musical notes and songs and I said "I got "B's" (son's girlfriend's little girl) Christmas present. Son happened to be in his room talking to his girlfriend on the phone and heard what I was talking about and mentioned it her. She said "thank you Betty" at which point I said "I don't think she'll be thanking me if I give  "B" that gift. In fact, I'm sure the sounds are obnoxiously loud and irritating and sound nothing like real musical notes.

Then I got a touch of nostalgia of Christmases past.

My brother and his wife had their children years before we had ours and for some terrible reason (forgive me brother and sister-in-law) I had this really "mean" streak I guess because I looked for the most loudest or the most many pieces gifts for their two children. We are talking the 300 piece wooden block set, the drum set, amongst so many others. We purposefully looked for gifts like this. What was I thinking?

Brother and sister-in-law were so gracious Christmas after Christmas watching their children opening these gifts. Little did I know they were planning revenge.........

and that they were patient about such revenge.........

They didn't act immediately; no, they waited, biding their time. Our daughter came first, no problems, wonderful girly gifts. Son came next. First few years, again wonderful gifts. We thought perhaps they had forgotten. Perhaps we were out of the woods.

Until the year of son's third Christmas. We were living in Oregon at the time, they in Southern California. I'm sure they snickered the whole time they found that perfect gift. The whole time they wrapped it and put it in a box and mailed it to us.

I imagine their anticipation wondering our reaction when such gift would be opened Christmas morning. They even included batteries in the gift, already assembled.

They got us.

They got us good.

It was an electronic megaphone. It was loud, it was noisy. It changed tones with buttons pushed.

Let me say it was not loud. IT WAS REALLY LOUD.

It was not obnoxious. IT WAS REALLY OBNOXIOUS.

Yep they did themselves proud.

Yep, a few short weeks later suddenly the megaphone wasn't working........suddenly the batteries  had gone dead......sadly we didn't have replacement ones right away.......sadly it sat quiet........

until we sold it at a garage sale a few months later........

Back to the catalog......I'm thinking the Jumbo Floor Piano Mat is not the best gift selection for "B".

Who knows what B's mom will find that could be obnoxiously loud as a pet toy for Koda to play with.........

so tell me, have your children ever gotten such an obnoxious type of toy from their aunts or uncles?



34 comments:

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

LOL! I remember my friend's son getting something similar, which miraculously stopped working three days after his birthday. To this day, I maintain that she somehow managed to snip the wires inside with a pair of nail scissors, but she denies it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't remember receiving any obnoxious gifts like that but as a grand'ma' to many I do believe I've given a few. I love looking through Christmas catalogs too!

Linda B. said...

Guess we lucked out and gave likewise but do remember joking about such gifts. Many things we got and gave, come electronically now, but just won't get them for the great nieces and nephews. Just yesterday bought a Christmas gift, a set of sheets, still left on the registry.

Alice @ christmas gifts for kids said...

Love reading this one out, a great and much inspiring idea to gift out... ;)

BelovedBomber said...

I actually unknowingly bought annoying gifts lol. After my son was born my stepbrother said he was paying me back for loud annoying toys. I was clueless! I was very young I guess...or he was oversensitive to noise lol

Jeanie said...

That makes me think back to that Fisher Price popcorn popper push toy that was very popular when my kids were little. It wasn't electronic but it was very loud and drove me crazy....but the kids loved it.

Tami said...

How funny! I'm with Jeannie, that popcorn popper wss so annoying.

jack69 said...

Hahahahahahahahaha, I wish I could plan that far ahead. That is great. Love the story. Things like this that make the best stories (AFTER THE FACT).
Great read to wake up by!!!!
Take care, we are a little cool, especially knowing we should be in Florida. ha!
Love from this side...

Marianne said...

I totally have the huge piano floor mat. The kids played with it for a grand total of 15 minutes. It is also a pain to store, takes up a lot of room.

On a positive note, the actual music was not terribly annoying.

xoxo Marianne (always here to help)

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I never saw you as being so devious before. LOL

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Fun post Betty. They got you with that one! No I don't think they got anything really obnoxious other than the drum set we bought for our son! Have a nice weekend.

Big Mark 243 said...

I had tears in my eyes with this post!! Given my situation, I have always stayed on the "approved" list of gifts for my daughters... but it would have been fun to have had the kind of relationship with my sibs as you did with yours... not surprising that you got it in the end... after all, revenge is a dish best served cold..!

Deanna said...

Cute story. When Grandson #1 was living with us I bought a Fischer Price thingy where you pushed buttons and it would talk to you, saying the same thing over and over and over! It became a favorite of each and every one of the 10 grandkids. In 15 years the batteries never gave out. Not once! Until last week when 4 year old Reagan was playing with it. Sadly, I think it is so old that I'm pretty sure they don't make these batteries anymore (AA). ;)

Hollie said...

Hilarious!! Not that I remember. I'll have to ask about it and get back to ya!

Rita said...

Yes, the Fisher Price popper toy my son got from my folks! Toddler Dagan called it his lawn mower and mowed the lawn all day long with it--every day--for months--LOL! I tried to tune it out, but every once in a while I convinced him he needed to take a break to let the grass grow. ;)

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Haahaha.. great story Betty. I'm always getting the grandkids such stuff to 'get even' for every little time my kids annoyed me when they were younger. lol. They know they deserve it.

Lynda said...

That is tooooo funny. Actually I think I am the one who bought that type stuff for our own kids - - - both daughters!

Chatty Crone said...

I like this side of you! lol I know I have had the thought why did they give this to us - but I can't remember now what it was!!!

Blondee said...

Oh. My. Goodness....they got you good beyond belief!

I've never seen a megaphone for children, WOW! lol

SweetMarie said...

Fun story! My in-laws did give my son an all in one noise machine! It had a microphone, keyboard and drum pad, it somehow didn't work after about a month. LOL

Mevely317 said...

This made me laugh out-loud, Betty! Since becoming "grandpa" to 4 boys, my hubby keeps threatening to gift them drum sets or bugles. That megaphone idea takes the cake!!!

forever folding laundry said...

an electronic megaphone?!
i didn't even know those existed!
and what perfect payback.
you're right...they definitely got you good! :)
lol!!

Juli said...

I just gave my 4 year old nephew a harmonica for his birthday. I did the same for my niece and nephew before him for their 4th birthdays.

I am the cool aunt that the parents hate. This year, my oldest niece and nephew are getting hermit crabs. :)

Empty Nester said...

I tried to be very careful for that very reason. But then, at the same time, if it stimulated an interest, I ended up buying the obnoxious toys for my own girls. LOL Though we did, frequently, run out of batteries. Of course, with grandchildren will come a whole lot of pay back....er, I mean, JOY! :)

Danielle L Zecher said...

My dad is a bit of practical joker, so I gave him a fart machine before his last back surgery. My mom has threatened dire consequences if I ever give him anything like that again. Makes me glad we don't have kids, because I'm sure she'd get even.

Martha said...

This sure brings back memories! I even bought things like that for my own children only to hide them later - usually later on Christmas day, lol! The think we do have to remember is that these kind of gifts are usually the kids favorites even if it does drive the parents crazy. I say go for the piano mat!

Tami said...

For years my brother-in-law got our boys the most obnoxious gifts. Well…… he began his family 8 years ago…. needless to say Aunt Tami and Uncle Todd are enjoying his children's Christmas presents as much as the kids! LOL

Tamera Brose said...

Have you seen the movie "Big"? Tom Hanks dances on one of those floor keyboards. It's one of the best scenes in the whole movie. My mom sent my two girls slide whistles in the middle of winter in SD. I called her and asked her if she hated me. She was appalled and asked me why I thought that. I then asked her why she would send my girls slide whistles. There was a pause and then she burst out laughing. There was no malice aforethought, and it turned out to be a funny joke, but those whistles where loud and obnoxious.

gracies tough journey said...

lol

Intense Guy said...

:)

Someone once gave me a Rubrics Cube and solved it in front of me in under 2 minutes - then messed it up and handed to me with a hardy "Merry Christmas!"

I never did figure out how to solve it. Most infuriating and frustrating - and the gift giver would come by now and then and solve it and put it back on my shelf.

Lynn Proctor said...

my oldest son and his wife, once gave my youngest, robyn, a "ferby" doll and it was voice and motion activated---we couldn't get that darn thing to stop---we finally figured out how to take the batteries out :)

salemslot9 said...

we joke about giving them
a chemistry set
play-doh
finger paints
or
a bb gun
lol

The Brown Recluse said...

haha now that's funny. I can't remember my daughter receiving any of "those" gifts, but I do remember giving a few. :::grin:::

Colleen said...

You have a fabulous sense of fun and humor!!!:)