a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

hard to believe

Yes it is hard to believe it is October 2 and we are in the last quarter of 2012. Where did this year go?

But that's not what I'm referring to when I say hard to believe.

Yes it is hard to believe that it was close to 90 degrees today here in Southern California when other parts of the country are getting chilly with people turning on their heat.

But that's not what I'm referring to when I say hard to believe.

Yes it is hard to believe that in just a little over a month we'll be having an election with potential to elect a new president. All I can say is, make sure you vote and make sure you study carefully all that is on the ballot and the candidates and make the best informed decision.

But that's not what I'm referring to when I say hard to believe.

Yes its hard to believe that when you go to Wal-Mart or Costco, Christmas decorations are up already. Does anyone think that there will be a time when they are just kept up year round?

But that's not what I'm referring to when I say hard to believe.

IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE ABOUT 80% DONE WITH THE DECLUTTERING OF THE HOUSE.

Is that amazing or what?

A lot of you guys have been with me through this journey I've been on for close to two years now and have read about my frustrations and despair, have encouraged me, supported me, prayed for me and I am so thankful for your friendship and your prayers.

We have come a long way since we first moved down here in January. A long way since hubby first came down Thanksgiving weekend 2010 and started the clearing out of his parents' home.

We've come from things so cluttered there was barely a walk way to open spaces where we can throw a ball or another such toy to Koda and he can run across the space of two rooms, uncluttered, to retrieve it.

We've estimated that we have thrown away, sold, given away at least 20,000 pounds of things, including clothes, old appliances that didn't work, computers that didn't work, excess kitchen items, excess linen, excess towels, excess everything and anything, you name it. That blows my mind to consider that especially when we moved down to Southern California back in 2006 from Montana, we moved 6600 pounds of things and I thought that was too much.

The house is almost there. A few things we still need to declutter, a few things more to sell or donate.

The garage is our nemesis but that is because the majority of the things there more than likely will be thrown away and there is only so much room in the trash on a weekly basis.

We did okay on the last garage/estate sale this past weekend. We're down to the not high priced things so we moved a lot of stuff but didn't make a lot of money, but that's okay because others paid us to cart off the stuff we didn't want.

In the end of it all, I'm glad we didn't get an appraiser in here. There were only a few items, less than a handful, that would have significantly been worth something and I was able to come in the ballpark of accessing their value through a site called WorthPoint that only cost $14.99 a month and can get cancelled at any time.

In the end, I've learned some lessons about it all.

I let this stuff get to me too much and let it define my mood for over a year. God reminded me just the other day that it wasn't overnight that hubby's parents accumulated all this stuff so it was okay if it didn't get all uncluttered overnight (kind of like weight; we didn't gain all of it overnight so its okay if it takes a little bit to get the weight off, just be consistent working on it).

I can only learn from this and make sure I don't leave such a terrible mess for son to deal with. That involves being aware of what we use, what we can downsize, and giving him permission to not necessarily buy us a gift at Christmas, but a gift card to a restaurant is appreciated, a baked good, bottle of wine, etc.

Even if something could be worth an amount, it is only worth that amount if someone is willing to pay that amount or you are willing to keep it until it might be worth that amount.

Its been such a journey these past months. A learning experience and process.

It will get done. We'll finish the decluttering. We have plans on how to do so. Might take another year, but it will get done.

I want to thank each and everyone of you who have stuck with me through this journey and like I said above, supported me, prayed for me, read my words of despair, etc.

I'm done writing about it on my blog. Onto something else............

(but I'm not sure what yet :)

(it could involve a corgi pup :)

(or a bench with a view :)

(or a recipe :)

(or an old story and old picture :)

(or a new story and new picture :)

(but I do appreciate each and everyone of you that read my words, whatever they may be; THANK YOU :)

27 comments:

MorningAJ said...

You might notice from my blog that I've just started the de-cluttering process, and that I'm only planning on keeping it up for this month. I admire you - I really do!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful feeling that must be. Having reached that point, the rest will be a piece of cake for you. Congratulations! I'm glad our 90 degree days are done with here for at least the rest of this year. It was so unusual for us to have had them to begin with. It feels good right now to be in the 60's and mid 70's. It'll be the long cold freezing winter that will get to me , but for now I'll enjoy what we have.

Melanie said...

I'm so happy for you! I know it's been a long road.
I haven't seen any Christmas decorations in the stores yet, but I know it won't be long!

Shelly said...

What a great lesson, and I'm sure your son is going to appreciate some day that you've taken in to heart. You must feel loads lighter!

Enjoy Mr. Koda today!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I am so glad that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and that you learned some important lessons along the way. Can't wait to see what you're going to write about next ... especially if it involves a corgi pup! ;-)

Godsgalnj said...

Happy decluttering... glad to hear you're almost there! :)

Tamera Brose said...

Hum, I have a room or two that could use your expertise. PA is lovely this time of year. Kudos and props to getting a handle on everything. It will be a huge weight off your shoulders and heart when it is done. Thank you for sharing.

LynnMarie said...

I'm so proud of you and what you have done and learned from your life. It always felt good to declutter to me and having an attitude that something comes in IF something goes out! Living in a small home helps but I remember dealing with my mom's home after she died and it was terrible. She was such a pac rat! Good for you.

jack69 said...

It is not hard to believe that you produce a great read, no matter what the subject. We all hang on every word, you had me going again on this one. Thanks.
CONGRATULATIONS to you from someone who also has fought clutter.

Your revelations and insight are good information and fetching to read.

Love from NorthCarolina.
Sherry & Jack

Seriously Though said...

Thanks for sharing the website you found. I don't think I could have done this task. I don't know how, without Grace, that you wouldn't be affected by the clutter. What an accomplishment and how much work that must have been. For your husband it must have been emotionally difficult making the decisions to toss, sell, or keep. We are dealing with similar issues only their OUR things... :(
Blessings.

Jeanie said...

It sounds like you have lightened you mood along with lightening your load. Congrats on all you have gotten done.....I can't wait to read the post that says it is all complete.

Brenda Youngerman said...

It is so gratifying to see progress on these horrendously horrible lengthy projects that we do not want to tackle!
Good job!!!
and did you say a new pup????

Dana said...

How wonderful! That's definitely something that I need to work on.

Hollie said...

YAY!! I know it's beginning to look and feel more like home now!! I'm so happy for you! I need to do some decluttering here also!!

Living Life said...

That has to leave you with such a feeling of accomplishment!! I have been on a kick lately to "simplify". I really take the time to think about purchases for my home and if I really need it?? I just don't need another thing to clutter up my home!

Robyn :) said...

Good news with the decluttering!!! We are needing to do our garage, too, now that we have moved stuff out of storage. All of ours is going to Goodwill.

Betty WSch. said...

I'm so happy for you, that you've progressed so far! That must be such a relief.
Hope you manage to do the rest too.

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - I am one of the people who have been with you though this journey and let me say this - you have come a long way baby.

You are 80% there!!!

Okay this is the thing - I think when we get older we have this need inside ourselves to travel lighter. Then you go and get this house full of things that aren't yours and you felt smothered.

I think you are feeling much lighter now. ♥

Rita said...

I know how good that feels! Congrats to you both!! You're so right. Things don't collect all at once so they need time to sort through. :)

Mevely317 said...

Goodness, but you've given me something to ponder.
Being 62 y/o (and hubby 70), we sure don't want our kiddos having to make tough decisions and spend unnecessary time.
... and I know just the spot in which to start.

Lynda said...

You are my kind of person who can see the progress and paces yourself. Also, it is not only a physically exhausting thing you have been doing, it is also emotionally exhausting. And then add to that, a dog who decides to ride a roller coaster of health issues!!!! You have done well and I enjoy following your journey.

forever folding laundry said...

Ah, so happy for you!
I can feel your relief coming through your words.
I'm voting for a puppy.
Koda needs a little sister. :)

-keri

SweetMarie said...

I've started fall cleaning and I still can't believe it's October!
The 2nd was my grandma's birthday, she's 83. We're having a big fish fry for her this weekend. :) Your picture is really beautiful!
I'm really glad you're back. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well I am thrilled to hear about the progress. You have come so far and it is time for it to be over.
I know I need to get off my butt and clear things here! After cleaning out my aunts house my dad has gotten rid of many things at his house so we don't have to deal with it. Hope your having a nice day :)

Intense Guy said...

Wow! That's a lot of pounds... did the house "unsettle" and rise up an inch or two?

I'm so glad to hear the "cheer" in your tone of voice! :)

Martha said...

Congrats Betty! You really have come a long way. I still have a long way to go but just haven't had time to continue working on things. I'm so happy for you. I know what a weight it is off your shoulders being rid of all that stuff!!

By the way, I discovered Worthpoint early on in this process too. I haven't done the paid membership yet since I'm not quite ready to start selling but I've been able to get a lot of great info just from whats available on their site free.

The Brown Recluse said...

Yayyy!!! Oh yes, I remember how discouraged you were...and it's so good to know that things are so much better. That is uh-lot of stuff you all moved!!!!!

You need to be posting some pictures!