a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Saturday, October 6, 2012

a walk in the park

Friday and Saturday nights son valets in downtown San Diego. Its hard work being a valet; you got to do a lot of running some evenings, but the upside is you get to drive some pretty cool cars. He's driven Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Aston Martin, Maseratis, Hummers, etc. Two times he even got to drive a Chevrolet HHR (hubby's car), what a treat that was for him I am sure. He is kind of like "its just a car" mentality these days when he's driving these types of cars since he does it somewhat routinely.

His shift starts at 6 p.m. and because it is downtown San Diego and because parking is at a premium and because he doesn't want to pay for parking himself, he leaves early to try to get one of the coveted spots on the street close to where he valets at. So he leaves at 5  o'clock, realizing it could take him 15 minutes or more to find such a spot.

We have gotten into the habit of having dinner with him before he leaves for his shift, which means we are eating at 4:30, our normal time is between 5:30 and 6:30 depending on everyone's work schedules. But it is neat to spend the time with him. We usually bring in something to eat, pizza, Mexican food, sandwiches, whatever.  He eats a bit light because you don't want to have a full stomach when you are running as a valet. He usually has leftovers that he will eat after he gets home which can be anyway between 11 p.m. to after midnight depending on when he finishes his shift. He is technically finished with his shift at 10 p.m. but if they are busy, he will stay longer if needed.

So we are usually done with dinner by 5 p.m. which gives hubby and me a good chunk of the evening left. That used to be the time that I would do my mandatory overtime when we were on mandatory overtime and then we would walk Koda after 6:30 when it started to cool down. Tonight I didn't have mandatory overtime (yea!!!) so we decided to take Koda for a walk some place new.

We chose going over to Coronado.

Coronado is an island connected to San Diego. You can get to it by going a round about way through what is called the Strand or in the old days you took a ferry from downtown San Diego over to Coronado; you drove your car onto the ferry and then drove it off on the other side. The ferry still runs these days, but it is mainly a tourist attraction.

These days a lot of people get across to Coronado by using the bridge. I mentioned it on a few other posts.
 
 
 
I'm always looking for benches with views
This time I lucked out
I got a bench with a view
and a Southern California corgi
in the same picture
 
Looking across the bay to downtown San Diego
 
See the heron in the water?
 
Herons are very special to us.
 
Kind of like hawks.
 
I've written about them before.
 
 
Better view of the heron
 
 
Another view across the bay.
The convention center is there, kind of right in front of the cylinder looking building
ComicCon is held there every year among other conventions
 
A boat just went by and made a wake with the waves
 
it looked pretty neat
 

It was a fun walk. Koda enjoyed his new adventure and new smells. I did snap a picture of him and right when the picture clicked he had lifted his leg.........it was a perfect shot.....but I thought a bit distasteful to post........

What I realized is, I need to get out more. Tonight confirmed that indeed.

Have a great weekend! Get out there and do something fun!!

38 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a beautiful view. You got some really good pictures! I know I need to get out more. Most of my outings are to the grocery store or church. Hope you have a great Saturday!

Michelle said...

What beautiful views! Thank you for the pictures!!

jack69 said...

Oh Betty, such beautiful pictures and one of the best views yet (the Corgi ain't bad either!) Thanks. I was never stationed in San Diego, but have friends who loved he area, one from my home town retired there.
One good friend spent some time in the Brig there, but that is a different view. hahahaha
Good stuff as always and still nice to hear about the mandatory over time (not).

Renegades said...

Beautiful views. Glad you got out to enjoy them!

Jeanie said...

A visit to Coronado with Koda sounds way more fun than working mandatory overtime. I'm sure Koda thought so. You got some great pictures.

Dana said...

Beautiful pictures!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)

Betty WSch. said...

What a beautiful beautiful area you live in!! Such awesome views and so much water. Being on the water is something we rarely get to do, so living there must be such a gift.
Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

Chatty Crone said...

Looks like you followed your own advice. Very beautiful area there Betty. I bet Koda did love it. I like the idea of taking photos of benches and their view.

Wow your son has really grown up and matured - that is really a lot of hard work and getting up early. I am proud of him.

Lynda said...

whew - - all that walking - - - but it's good exercise for the body as long as the knees hold out. We need to pray for that. THANKS for your pics. They are so beautiful and relaxing, too. I agree about being outside more. Our weather is perfect for it this month.

Martha said...

Great shots Betty. I know what you mean about needing to get out more. The only thing I seem to get out for these days is to go to work. Something has to give here soon!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gorgeous photos ... I would love to visit Southern California and see such beautiful view myself ... but in the meantime, I'm certainly enjoying the photos you're sharing with us. Thanks!!

Tamera Brose said...

Beautiful pictures.

Rita said...

So worth eating dinner early to get to spend time with your son. :) :)
That is one long bridge...and a nice view. Looks like Koda was enjoying it a lot, too.
Have a super Saturday! :)

Robyn :) said...

Awesome views!! Are you going to make the picture of the bench and Koda your blog header?

I have only been there once and we used the bridge. I remember all the signs with phone numbers for suicide prevention!!

The Brown Recluse said...

I'm so glad that you're getting out more! With an area like these pictures depict, it would be a shame not to get out a lot! LOVE the photos. Maybe one day I'll see CA...the Grand Canyon, the Rockies...maybe. lol

Dogs have a way of doing "inappropriate-for-photo acts," lol Dawgs!!!

I bet Son sees a lot of things to talk about in his Valet job! I think that's a neat job for a young person! (I bet I could lose some weight doing that...but I can't see getting out in and out of a corvet-type car being an easy feat for me. hahaha

Funny in My Mind said...

You live in such a beautiful area!
I don't have fun anymore, I just work and try to keep up with everything.
I lost interest in blogging. Nothing interesting to say and too little time or energy.
Have a nice weekend! It is very cold here the past few days.

Renea said...

Beautiful view. I love San Diego. My husband was stationed at North Island and then at 32nd St. when he was in the Navy. We lived in Imperial beach. We are planning a trip back to San Diego in June of 2013 as it will be 35 years since we lived there. We are so excited. Any suggestions as to where we should stay and what we should see? Love the pictures!!!

Juli said...

Beautiful pictures! Such a clear day, we've had so much fog lately... it's so nice to see some sunlight.

Susie Clevenger said...

Gorgeous view. It is great to get out and enjoy the view. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your words were so kind. I was on my phone reading and inadvertently deleted it. I just wanted you to know I had read them.

Janice's footsteps said...

I love your views Betty :)) what a fun job to drive the "classy" cars. I know want to visit San Diego :))

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

I love Coronado, Betty . San Diego is one of my favorite places. Koda is one lucky corgi!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love San Diego and would love to live there again. The bridge is amazing and I have been over it a few times. Love your pictures and how nice that you could get out instead of working overtime!

Tami said...

Beautiful!! Lucky dog to get to walk there. ;)

Marianne said...

I want to be Koda. Great pics! Great views!

Karen said...

Beautiful photos! I'd love to sit on the bench for awhile...

Seriously Though said...

That bridge is beautiful. But I am pretty sure I can't drive over it. :(
San Diego looks amazing!

SweetMarie said...

I can't wait to share this story about your son with my son. My son is all about cars! A friend of the family just bought an Aston Martin and she loves it!
Your pics are beautiful, especially the ones with Koda.:) I've never visited CA so, I really enjoy you sharing your walks with us.:)
Marie

Bobbi and Gracie said...

WOW! Now that is a bench with a view!! Beautiful shots! Beautiful place...

Empty Nester said...

Such a lovely spot! We have herons here too and I love them. I take pictures of them all the time. They remind me of something from the dinosaur age. :)

Blondee said...

Gorgeous views! I'll bet Koda loved it. :)


On my post, a mouse built a nest in the fan unit of my truck over the weekend. Good guess!!!

Hollie said...

What a beautiful place to visit!! Thank you for sharing!!

Sarah Mcdougal said...

I absolutely LOVE San Diego! I used to go all the time. I am your newest follower and was kinda hoping that you wouldn't mind checkin out my neck o' the woods. Just come on over to: www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com
and follow me if you like my blog!

Thank you,
Sarah

Linda B. said...

Fabulous sights on your relaxing evening walk. Can just imagine the sound of the waves. Enjoy life's
sojourn and surprises!

Deanna said...

Love the photos. Would so like to be sitting on that bench.

We have blue herons visiting our pond on a regular basis. I think they are beautiful. Hubby worries they will eat more than their fair share of the fish we stocked the pond with.

We've been trying to get out more too. The flow will be flying before we know what happened!

Have a wonderful day, Betty!

Lynn Proctor said...

so lovely--i think you have hit on something for me too--i need to get out more--i plan to come back for your last blog, i missed, it sounds intriguing!

essay said...

So glad you got out and took some pictures of your foggy day for us. It was a day of off and on showers here.

Jane said...

I love the photos! San Diego is so gorgeous. We went there for out honeymoon and my husband still says he'd like to move there eventually. I've been away from the blogging scene for a while and I miss coming here for a visit. I have changed my blog's name from Happy Little Circus to Room 52. Hope you come by for a visit! the new address is roomfiftytwo.blogspot.com

xo
Jane

Intense Guy said...

I have a soft spot for Coronado (and it's hotel). It was a favorite of my Aunt and grandma.

Such a beautiful spot - and such beautiful photos!

My neighbor is not happy with the Great Blue Heron that made off with all his Koi... he had to get some small goldfish to replace them. I often see the Heron standing on the split rail fence between his Koi pond and my house - eying his "easy" dinner... :)