a bench with a view

a bench with a view

Friday, September 28, 2012

we go up, we go down

Remember the post I wrote a few weeks ago about the rough month Koda had in August when his blood sugar was really high, over 400, and it was touch and go for a bit?

Well, he decided to go the other way today, LOW blood sugar. He seemed a bit off this morning when we got up to go to the gym at 5 a.m. (just want everyone to know I got up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym, LOL) but the rest of the day he seemed okay; usual spunk, etc.

I was working in the afternoon and I heard him barking from the other side of the house. He has this angry bark "I hear dogs barking in my neighborhood and I'm not happy" or "I hear the trash truck and it must die" and then I saw that he was by the back door by my work area, the door he goes outside by. I asked him if he has to go outside and he looked at me and when I got up to let him out, he slumped to the right side. I'm thinking "stroke". Remember, I type medical reports all day so I diagnose the patients as I'm typing their reports; 95% of the time I'm wrong, but every once in awhile I get it right.

I was wrong this time.

Not a stroke. Though I wouldn't know it until hubby took Koda to the vet. Hubby was getting ready to go to teach his students, but I told him what was up so he canceled his students and got an appointment right away at the vet's. Koda was kind of staggering around, but did follow me into the kitchen in case he thought he would get a treat (he did).

So hubby drives off with Koda to the vet and I wait anxiously at my computer, working but my mind is not on what I'm doing so I have to be extra careful with what I'm doing not to make any mistakes.

Finally, hubby calls with the good news. Koda's blood sugar was 30 (should be over 70). He was hypoglycemic. The best medicine for it? Koda didn't mind. Food. They gave him a half can of their premium dog food. He didn't mind. Hubby said food was all over the place he was so excited to eat.

We were not to give him his insulin tonight and then start back as usual tomorrow.

Thing is, I had been warned about hypoglycemia. Even had the Karo syrup that you are supposed to rub on their gums when you suspect hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) on our counter in plain view. Even knew that he would resemble a "drunken sailor" in how he wobbled around. Yet totally blew it. Now we know better.

This dog of ours though!

He's had a few crises, you all know this. Cancer, diabetes, pneumonia, etc. Each time we suspect something awful, hubby contacts the vet, gets an appointment. I say a prayer to God asking him to protect Koda, but do say his will is best and he knows best, no matter what.

I tell Koda "you're the best dog in the whole world, I love you so much, you are a good dog". And walk out with them to the car, fully prepared that he might not come home.

We are realistic. We are prepared. We don't want him to suffer. We don't want to prolong his life if he is suffering just because we can't part with him. My final words to hubby is "I want to be there, but if he is suffering, you do what you have to do".

One day he won't be coming home. One day I hope I'll be able to be there. There won't be a dry eye at the vet's office. They all love him, as they all love so many of their other patients.

But today I am glad and thankful that he did come home. (and that it cost less than $100; usually he's our $500 dog on events like this :)

That dog!!!!!!!!

But I do love That Corgi :)

34 comments:

Michelle said...

So glad your baby is ok. What a scare. Glad it is under control.

Godsgalnj said...

You are so strong!! *hugs* Koda is adorable! Thank God he's okay!

Shelly said...

Wow- that was certainly a trying time! So glad he is better and you all are already prepared if he needs help again~

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a scare! Once again I'm thankful your sweet Koda is ok. Now you know you can be prepared should it happen again. Hope your Friday is a calm, ordinary, uneventful one!

Parsley said...

I know this story all too well. Did you get a tester? We tested before we gave shots and adjusted how much insulin to give. What insulin do you use?

Jeanie said...

Wow, what a scare. I'm glad it turned out to be something that could be dealt with.....and glad for Koda that he got an extra meal in the deal. I can only imagine your fear as Koda rode off with your husband.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

So very glad that Koda is ok and you were able to leave the vet's office without dropping a whole boatload of cash. ;-) Hopefully it won't happen again ... but thankfully you'll be prepared just in case.

Deanna said...

I would have immediately thought stroke too. That poor baby is very lucky to have you and the love you have for him. I'm so glad he is ok. Can we ever really be prepared?

Mevely317 said...

What a lucky lil' guy to have such loving and aware "parents"! Were all dogs so lucky, eh?

My own Caraleigh is 12 now, and I struggle to even image my life w/o her. (A padded room comes to mind - lol.)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Intense Guy said...

Goodness. Maybe you should change his name to "Never a Dull Moment Koda".

I'm so glad he is made it through another "health episode"...and hey you! Go easier on yourself... low blood sugar symptoms are widely variable and hard to detect many times. I know - I "go low" about once a month - and most times I just sweat a bit... even I have a hard time noticing!

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Sometimes our thinking cap just doesn't think straight when it pertains to the ones we love. Thankful you still have Koda for now.

jack69 said...

They have a way of wrapping around your heart. I only had one like that, but I still remember the dog, ACE.
As we live, we all know, like you said, there will come a time, BUT we sure do not look for it.

Love from here!!!

Betty WSch. said...

So glad Koda is feeling/doing better. Such a scare!! I'm glad you are preparing yourself for the worst though. Sometimes it comes quicker than we want.
Hugs for you and Koda!

Rita said...

Goodness! Another scare and vet trip. That's enough now, Koda. Mommy and Daddy are going to have a heart attack. ;)
*hugs*

Chatty Crone said...

Betty I am so glad that this time he was okay. Wanting to eat is a good sign. I know what you mean - we love our dear pets so much. Phew.

BelovedBomber said...

I am glad that he is okay. I didn't even know that dogs got low blood sugar. Makes complete sense, but I didn't know. I am glad that it is such an easy fix. Many blessings!

Tamera Brose said...

Our pets sure do find a way into our hearts. I'm glad Koda is once again okay.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Moments like that weigh so heavy on my heart. I am so thankful to God for giving you more time with your precious Koda. ((HUGS))

Retired English Teacher said...

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine having a dog with diabetes. Now that would be a trial. Poor little thing! I hope he is doing much better now. I understand how you feel. Our dogs are our children in many ways. We love them so much. It is so hard to put one down.

Thanks again for stopping by my blog.

Dana said...

I'm so glad he's okay. *Hugs*

Empty Nester said...

So glad that's all it was this time! I don't know how you do it. Tucker hasn't had any health issues (yet) and I can't even think about what I would do if he did. The way we get attached to these precious creatures makes it so hard when they are sick. It's not like with our daughters when I could explain that they were sick but with the pups, all we can do is talk sweet and hug them! Although I do talk to Tucker all the time anyway. LOL

Linda B. said...

I forgot, what is it you do at 5 a.m.?!

Just came from a Blessing of the
Animals and thought of you. Glad Koda is again feeling better!

opening: Creator God, you made us and these pets and all living things. We thank you for giving us these pets who give us joy...

prayer: Holy God whose loving care extends to all living things; bless and protect these creatures, which you have put into our hands and help us to cherish their life knowing that all is precious in Your sight. Amen.

Aneta said...

So glad Koda is doing better again! Pets bring such joy to our lives, don't they?

Marianne said...

I'm glad he's okay! Even though we won't ever have a dog (allergies), I grew up with a collie/lab mix that felt more like a member of our family than...well...some actual members of our family. Give Koda a big squeeze.

Rob-bear said...

Poor Koda. Glad he's all right for the shape he's in.

Tami said...

Glad he made it home and is doing well. Hoping for many more happy years with him.

Lynn Proctor said...

yep that low blood sugar can be more dangerous than the high---glad he is okay now <3

Lynn Proctor said...

yep that low blood sugar can be more dangerous than the high---glad he is okay now <3

Blondee said...

I'm sorry to hear that Koda has had a rough go of it lately. It's just as worrisome to have a sick pet as it is to have a sick child.

Glad you are back, and I hope Koda stays on a good road of health.

;)

Bobbi said...

Oh, that Koda! Our pups sure do keep us on our toes don't they? I'm so glad Koda is okay.. bless his heart. How scary that must have been!
Give Koda hugs for me!! Such a sweetie!

Brenda Youngerman said...

Glad everything worked out all right... it is amazing how much these dogs get under our skins.....

ptc said...

What a beautiful area you live in!! Such awesome views. Gorgeous photos !

The Brown Recluse said...

I'm really glad Koda is doing well....and that you are to! You have been such a great friend to me, such an encourager. You are MUCH appreciated.

And Koda's pretty cute!

Danielle L Zecher said...

Poor Koda. I hope he continues to improve. It's so scary when they're sick.